PDA

View Full Version : Light gun on a slide for Civil War boats 1/250 scale

ct ertz
07-16-2012, 05:11 PM
I need help. Can some one try these and see if they build. I ned them for my Clyde model but they may be beyond building. Any help would be great! The will work for other Civil War boats as well. the carriages are simple stacked layers but the small parts may be two small.:)

Thanks!

Miles Linnabery
07-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Dear Corry:
Are you going to put it in the downloads or just send it out if asked? I just put most of my papermodels into the local library for display except for pink and purple stomp rockets the desk is clear.
Will try,
MILES

ct ertz
07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Oh shooot! I forgot. It will be in the downloads shortly! Thanks.
CT

ct ertz
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Hello all! The guns have been uploaded in the free downloads! Good luck and good building!

charleswlkr54
07-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Hope they do build, they'd make a fine model all by themselves!

ct ertz
07-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Well the download is still unapproved for some reason. Maybe you can click on the thumbnail and print?
CT

larry2
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Going to take someone with smaller, more talented fingers than mine, I'm afraid :-(

ct ertz
07-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Same here!
CT

sporticus
07-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Good luck. I fear the parts will be microscopically small. I've just finished modelling these in 1:150 and casting them in white metal for my ships. And my design was simpler than yours. To do them even smaller would be very diffcult. I'm sure someone could manage but would be difficult. I have one sugestion. If the barrel had small slit underneath then G9 could be made with a long tab that slots into the barrel. Anyway I'm sure that there are skilled modellers who could manage it but it would be a tough task!

Miles Linnabery
07-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Dear Corry:
I wonder why it is still not in the downloads section yet? I would like to try.
Thanks
MILES

ct ertz
07-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I would love to have you try this.
PM me your email and I will send it direct. I do not know why the download is not working.
CT

rickstef
07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
because we hadn't checked that section, the files have been approved, and are now available for download

Miles Linnabery
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Dear Corry and Rick:
Got it download and printout worked. Boy its small HO scale would be better but will try to make at the 1/250 scale if I have made a 13" mortar in 1/250 this should be do-able.
Wish me luck,
Have to take the Family canueing tommorw man I can't spell

ct ertz
07-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks Rick. So Miles, any luck? I am impatient! Sorry. Just can't wait.

CT

Miles Linnabery
07-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Dear Corry:
got it printed, this is the perfect project for those who travel each gun is a piece of card stock 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" square cutting it in 1/2 and it fits in a penny match case I think the finished gun will also fit in the case. I am now going to cut it into the glue up groups to do the doubling of thickness will put them under the cutting mat over night to dry flat. By the way I am using 110# card stock for this test. Now First question in your drawing G5 and G6 will only be 2 thickness of card stock thick, in the drawing of what goes where G5 and G6 are the same thickness as G1 through G4 a total of 8 thickness of cardstock?
More tommorow,
MILES
Had to take wife daughter and her friend out in the canue (sp) this afternoon life goes on

ct ertz
07-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Possibly either way. I think four layers would probably be fine for the combination of G5 and G6.

Good luck!
CT

Miles Linnabery
07-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Dear Corry:
I just folded the extra card stock under G5&G6 to make them total of 4 thickness. I will try to roll the barrol, however I would normaly just go out to the garage to the mini lathe and cuck a baboo skewer and sand a barrol to shape.
More later,
MILES
Is this something like a 12# cannon?

Miles Linnabery
07-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Dear Corry:
As I find them I will post them. Parts G1,G2,G3,G4 are misslabled
G1=OK
G2= Should Be G3
G3= Should Be G4
G4= Should Be G2
Hope this is clear its the bottom carrage.
More Later,
MILES
Note: How about adding a Scale Drawing of the side Veiw of the cannon and carrage so the modeler can check the cardstock layers to tell correct thickness of the parts, I like the instruction picture.
Thanks
MSL
I hope this kind of feed back is what you want?

ct ertz
07-22-2012, 07:37 AM
This is great! Thanks.

The Clyde had 24 pound howitzers, but the overall length and diameter of the tube will work for a 12 pound "heavy" howitzer, the 20 pound rifle and the 12 pound rifle gun as well. All where between 63 and 67 inch tubes so at this scale that works. Any one could have been dismounted and put on a wheeled field carriage as well. One Union ship, the USS Cimmaron, had 6 of these guns, as well as a large shell gun and a 100 pound rifle. It had the job of clearing river banks of bushwhackers and the little howitzers were great for that. Plus, they could go ashore with landing parties.

Anyhow, yes, the feed back is great! I may make a simplified version even if these prove to be build-able, as I ddo not want to frustrate those of us who simply do not have the finger skill you do. However, if these build, it will be quite the neat little model all on it's own!

CT

Miles Linnabery
07-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Dear Corry:
Just sent a PM too. I am enjoying this. Should the Back end of G1 be solid black as in rapped in steel? also could you put a dot on the edge where the G12's go I realize that in the coplete kit you will have the track of iron strap so you could put the carrage down and then glue the part G12 down to match the track. now Ijust made a guess as to how far back to put the rollers. G12 OK to cutout using a new sharp #11 Blade.
Thanks,
MILES

ct ertz
07-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Just so everyone know what we are talking about here are some photos. Two slide carriages were used, a short one that mounted in a ships launch for use when going ashore and a larger one that mounted to the deck/bulwark for ship board use. They also had an all iron wheeled carriage for use on land. we want the larger slide carriage used aboard ships. interestingly, these seemed to have varried from ship to ship as needed. the Clyde had the support wheels moved and there are differences in other pictures as well.
CT

Miles Linnabery
07-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Dear Corry:
It looks right to have 4 layers of G5&G6. I just reprinted the page on 20# bond paper to try the barrel. have to go to town picknic will post results after dinner.
MILES

sporticus
07-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Dear Corry:
I just folded the extra card stock under G5&G6 to make them total of 4 thickness. I will try to roll the barrol, however I would normaly just go out to the garage to the mini lathe and cuck a baboo skewer and sand a barrol to shape.
More later,
MILES
Is this something like a 12# cannon?

I want a mini lathe.....well, I also want a garage!

ct ertz
07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
I would love a mini lathe. I had a small bench top while living in SD that my dad and I used for simple gun smithing projects, but a mini-lathe would be awesome for this kind of thing. A drummle tool and some sand paper or files is the closest thing I have.

I am going to suggest in the instructions to use a piece of brass wire for the gun tubes on the howitzers as an alternative to trying to roll the paper.

CT

Miles Linnabery
07-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Corry:
I just looked 49 other cardmodelers have down loaded the model I am feeling lonely out here making it. now starting to do the barrel. I aught to do G10 so what out of order. got the 110# card stock barrel cut out next to roll. going to cut out the 20# bond barrel right now.
More after dinner,
MILES

Miles Linnabery
07-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Dear Corry:
Here is a picture worth 1000 words, I now think that I am NUTZ, 1/250 scale is fine for stuff 800 feet long 250 foot wide etc. OMG that gun and mount is small. the barrel is the same 110# cardstock, I added a piece if a brass sewing pin as the elevation screw. in a few days when my eyes have uncrossed I might try the barrel from the 20# bond paper. I got the across the street friend to take the picture up load to his computer e-mail to my computer, then upload to this post, Ithink it worked I do have 4 more picts if you want to see.
Thanks Corry for the chance to do a beta build.
Hope this is alright,
MILES

ct ertz
07-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow. That is cool. I go away for a few hours and come back and I have pictures of an ant cannon! cool. It came out better then I could have ever thought! Thanks Miles.
CT