PDA

View Full Version : IJN Isuzu 1:200 - Answer

redhorse
11-13-2008, 08:28 PM
After the tank I just finished, I'm in the mood for a ship. I've decided on the Isuzu from Answer.

Interesting, I'm reading some of the Isuzu history and she was part of the invasion of Hong Kong. I lived there for a number of years 20 or so years ago and my wife grew up there. (Time has really flown, seems like yesterday). She tells stories sometimes of playing in old Japanese forts as a kid and she and her brother even found some old ammunition. And then later Isuzu was attacked by planes from CV-16 Lexington which we just visited down in Corpus Christi. I really like it when the history of my models connects up with places I've been.

Anyhow, from what I can tell, the model depicts the ship as an anti-aircraft cruiser in 1944-45.

The kit has 8 pages of card parts and 2 pages of thin paper parts. There are also 4 pages of drawings and a 2-view on the inside cover. It will end up bigger than anything I've made at 81 cm.

This is my first 1:200th ship and also my first full hull. I'm hoping I can do a good job - we'll see. I also don't want to use any laser cut or photo etch if possible, but if the tiny parts get looking too clunky I may end up going with that.

Please feel free to give tips and pointers! I learn a lot by posting my builds in progress here.

Lex
11-14-2008, 03:54 AM
I'd be looking forward to this build! I've yet to build my own full hull so I have a lot to learn from here too

redhorse
11-19-2008, 11:01 PM
I finally have a bit of progress to report. I got the frames cut out and put together and it's going to be pretty big! I'll have to sand it down and then it looks like next step is more lamination with the decks.

4ps
11-20-2008, 03:09 AM
This cruiser is very unique. I'm look forward your build!

especially those naval guns : )

willygoat
11-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Looks good Jim!

eibwarrior
11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Good start Jim... Hey, that looks pretty big. How long is that tip to tip? Looks like close to 30"...

This should be a fun one.

birder
11-20-2008, 08:47 PM
That looks good Jim!

Zathros
11-21-2008, 12:32 AM
That's a really good start. This is the part where the whole model will be off if it is done wrong, but yours is right, of course.

willygoat
11-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Based on the picture of your work area, you and I think alike in the glue department. I have the same collection of adhesives that you do as far as I can tell.

redhorse
11-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys! That cracks me up Willygoat - isn't it funny how glue collections grow? I do love my Aleenes!

Golden Bear
11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice choice of model. I should have a partial build thread for this model somewhere around here. I would recommend supporting the hull side areas between the formers somehow. The thing is sooooo long and the formers so spaced out that it eggcartons really easily. Personally I would consider even fitting in slabs of .5 or 1mm card in every space.

BTW, I stopped building simply because the thing is such a monster. I just couldn't handle it after a while.

Carl

redhorse
11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Eib - Isuzu is about 32 inches, so pretty big. Nothing compared to that Arizona, though! :) I've even found a spot to display her when she's finished.

I've also found something that I actually dislike more than cutting out tank tracks - cutting through 2mm thick card! The stand is made out of that and I've burned through around 20 Excel blades cutting all this stuff out so far. I'm glad the laminating seems to be pretty much over now.

I'm really debating what to do with the hull. I'm wondering what would happen if I just glue it together without extra support? I'm thinking I probably wouldn't like the results. The slab idea might work and I'm also thinking of expandable foam insulation carved and sanded down to shape.

First I'll cut out the pieces and see how they fit.

Carl - thanks very much for bringing up your build thread. I finally did find it over on "the other forum" - I'm just glad the pictures didn't get deleted as happened to so many other threads there. You have solved my problem with the funnels! Yours look great and now I know how to do those wires that wrap around them. Any idea what those are for?

I'm currently waiting for glue to dry, so here are my latest pictures. Not much yet to show really...

eibwarrior
11-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Nice shots Jim... Hey, I'll tell you what works like a jewel on that 2 mm stuff... Utility snips for vinyl flooring. They're razor sharp and make quick, precise cuts of that thick stuff. You have to cut carefully though as the outboard blade has some minor teeth and can leave imprints if you cut the wrong direction. you have to cut all pieces inboard of the snips. You can pick them up at any hardware store in the flooring section or in the tool section of your local wal-mart. They come in very handy and will save you a bunch of $ on blades and wasted time.

As for the hull, you could take some balsa strips and make a horizontal strut between formers. I've used this technique before with good results. It's a quick, easy fix to that problem.

Keep up the good work Jim!

willygoat
11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks nice Jim! I saw one of the other fellows on here use a single edge razor and a small hammer to cut the thick cardboard stuff. Works well on straight edges.

redhorse
11-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks eib and willygoat. I like that vinyl flooring snips idea - I'll have to remember to pick up a pair.

Here are the decks and I did decide on the hull. I glued 5mm strips on all of the frames and it seems to have worked ok.

redhorse
11-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Now here is the hull plating, I'm not too displeased for my first attempt. I think in the future I'm going to make the strips 8mm or so as there were a couple places where there was very little to glue onto. I worked towards the center from the bow and the stern and hoped the center piece was too big rather than too small. It was! So I trimmed it down and everything fit pretty well. The stern pieces did need some minor adjustment and also the shrike rollystyks came in very handy!

GreMir
11-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Very good job on the hull!
Nice clean joints and not even an ounce of putty or paint.

B-Manic
11-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Wow - I have to agree, that hull is fantastic. Very well done, as in exceptional.

eibwarrior
11-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Very nice job on the hull plating Jim. That could be a photo-slide tutorial for beginners.

redhorse
11-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the compliments! I've now finished the rest of the hull plating and she's starting to look like a ship. I'm looking forward to working with smaller parts now...

Barry
11-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Good looking hull

Don Boose
11-30-2008, 07:44 AM
This is a really fine build, Redhorse! I've enjoyed tracking it.

Don

redhorse
12-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks Barry & Don. I've been kind of busy lately, but I've been able to get some more done over the last couple of nights. Here are the rudder and props. Now she should be right side up most of the time from now on.

GreMir
12-04-2008, 06:27 AM
This looks like a very well designed kit and your worksmanship is trully outstanding!

birder
12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Those props look perfect. Nice Jim!

eibwarrior
12-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Very nice work Jim. Clean props.

It looks like the rudder is operable. Is it?

redhorse
12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Very nice work Jim. Clean props.

It looks like the rudder is operable. Is it?

No, unfortunately the rudder isn't operable, didn't even think of it actually. There was a bit of trimming required around the rudder hinge but after that it fit quite nicely and just a bit more shaved off, some drilling and a piece of wire and I think it would work.

eibwarrior
12-06-2008, 09:09 AM
It could have fooled me Jim. It looks operable. Like you say though, I don't think it would take much to add that feature.

Looks good anyway, and that's what counts.

redhorse
12-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Didn't get all that much done on the ship this weekend, but I was able to finish the torpedo tubes.

I like using my hole punch for small circular parts, but I frequently have problems getting it lined up just right because I can't see the part I'm going to cut. I think I've solved my problem by punching a hole with the same punch in a piece of cardboard and then using that to get everything in the right place.

eibwarrior
12-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Proceeding full speed ahead. Nice work.

Now's where the fun begins. I love building the deckhouses and superstructure. Good stuff.

You're doing a really clean job there Jim. Keep us posted.

redhorse
12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
I love building the deckhouses and superstructure. Good stuff.

That's the fun part for me too!

PAPER FAN
12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Very nice. What kind of tool do you use for punching holes? I have a waldron punch and die set and although it works ok it is very slow process and I am limited to the width of the die set allignment pins.

redhorse
12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Paper Fan, I had looked for the Waldron set but apparently they quit making it. I'm using a Japanese book drill or screw punch. I ordered it from this place, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere - Japanese Book Drill (http://bonniesbest.com/bookdrill.htm)

Yu Gyokubun
12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Outstanding work, Jim!
I was building this ship a couple of years ago but one day I dropped it from the top of staircase accidentally and middle of hull was cracked... Finally I abandoned her.
Instead of remaking mine I will follow your build

PAPER FAN
12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Redhorse, thanks for the tip on the drill, I went to e-bay and pick up one with 5 bits.

redhorse
12-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Yu, I'm sorry to hear about your accident with the Isuzu. I don't think mine will come out looking as good as yours would have though.

Not much more to report, just tiny details. It is nice to cover up some white spots on the deck!

birder
12-12-2008, 09:09 PM
wow, those are tiny anchors:)

APA-168
12-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Looks great, glad to see you're up for some little bits, because Monitor has a few...(!) :)

redhorse
12-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Here are a few more tiny parts :D. I'm going to go cross-eyed on these pretty soon. On the depth charge holder I scored and folded before cutting out all the parts, I think it would have crumbled if I hadn't remembered to do that. Now I have to decide on anchor chain and how to color it.

The Isuzu will be going on hold temporarily while I build APA-168's USS Monitor...

Don Boose
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
That's really outstanding work, Jim.

You're doing full justice to the ship.

Don

eibwarrior
12-16-2008, 01:21 PM
That's fascinating detail work Jim. I particularly love the depth charge racks. Those are wonderfully rendered.

Take that, plastic!

redhorse
12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks Don & Eib. I've got a small update here, these look like pumps or something similar. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Golden Bear
12-19-2008, 07:07 PM
This is like deja vu! I love the clean ness of your build. Are you using PE with this? I don't know if you're interested in building torpedoes for those launchers but those were probably the only good part of my build. I rolled plain paper really tight and painted them. I really enjoy watching this.

Carl

shrike
12-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Look like Donkey engines to me

redhorse
12-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks Carl & Shrike. I haven't used any photo-etched parts yet... I did strengthen these two with CA before I started cutting. Made it a bit more difficult to cut, but gave a cleaner edge.

I saw your torpedoes, Carl. They looked really good, but I've already got the launchers glued in so I'll have to wait for my next build to do those. I think your funnels looked good too, and I'm going to reference your thread a lot when I start building mine. Should be soon! It's fun getting the deck all cluttered.

GreMir
12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
This is one very steady hand you have there...
I look forward to see this ship grow.

Yu Gyokubun
12-22-2008, 12:06 AM
I did strengthen these two with CA before I started cutting. Made it a bit more difficult to cut, but gave a cleaner edge.

Thank you for sharing instructive tip

modelperry
12-22-2008, 06:47 AM
I am truly enjoying watching your progress on this thread. Keep up the good work.

Greg

Michael Mash
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow. I'm not sure what that is, but that fine "cagelike" structure you did in that last set of images is really sharp. I love it.
Mike

eibwarrior
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the update Jim. Your details just keep getting better.

I like the idea of building the torpedos. That would be a nice addition to this model.

redhorse
12-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice words, hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

I've gotten bogged down in little stuff. I enlarged the Paper Shipwright templates to 1:200, mounted them to 2mm card and made some thread ladders. I like to use a small piece of paper towel to spread the CA. The thread turned out to be too light a shade of grey, so I ended up painting them.

It looks like I'll have to make some railings now too before I mount any of these things on the ship.

Also, it's got 60 small boxes. I'm not sure what they are for, maybe life vests or rafts?

GreMir
12-27-2008, 05:52 PM
This is some serious detailing you are doing!
I love Japanese ships but I'm going to leave the building to real shipbuilders like you.

Barry
12-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Like Mike says serious stuff and faultless

Papercut
12-27-2008, 05:57 PM
redhorse, I like the idea of your thread ladders, very scale looking. The use of a paper towel as a speader to keep from moving the thread, genius. Thanks for the tip. Thats why I spend so much time going thru forums, you learn a whole bunch of outstanding tips and ideas. I am watching your build closely. INJ ships are one of my favorite subjects. Thanks for the tip on how to make a scale ladder, now how about those railings.

Michael Mash
12-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I agee with everyone else. Good tutorial on ladders. Very fine detail in your work.
Mike

eibwarrior
12-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Jim, that's fabulous. Some of the best detail work I've seen in months. Good lesson on the ladders as well. I plan to try that some day soon.

redhorse
12-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the compliments! Here are some thread railings. These are more difficult to make as the thread tends to force the jig to bend. That in turn makes the threads on the bottom want to glue to those on top. You just need to hold it down with something while the glue dries. One of these days I'm going to have to make a wooden jig.

Once I cut the bottom rails off I can use those parts for extra stanchions where needed.

Next I'm on to the smokestacks. These look very intimidating, a lot of wire work involved.

Don Boose
12-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Outstanding work!

Don

Yu Gyokubun
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I have trouble making railings out of threads so I usually use photo etched one but your railings look good. Do you use CA to strengthen it?

redhorse
12-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks Don & Yu!

Yu, I did use CA through a paper towel just like the ladders. The railings took one more coat of glue and more touch up around joints that didn't glue.

birder
12-28-2008, 11:57 PM
wow Jim! That is expert work!:)

Papercut
12-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I am just blown away w/your ladders/railing. I have waxed many yards for rigging, but I have never seen anyone use the way you are. I noticed that the railing bends to the shape you need to follow, with 2 coats of CA, does the tensal strength of the CA not break the thread? You know what I need, a discription of how you lay out your jig for ladders and railing. What is the math for scaling to make the jig. I will be trying this soon. Thanks for the idea.

redhorse
12-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Actually the CA just makes it kind of leathery and stronger. It does the same thing with paper. I would imagine that after it fully cures in a few days it would be much more brittle. I'm not sure, but I'll find out soon enough with the extra railings I made!

You don't need to worry about the math or templates as Paper Shipwright already has a downloadable .pdf with instructions on his download page, along with a lot of very nice free models. Paper Shipwright - Card Models (http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/download.shtml)

I did have to blow it up to 1:200 in Acrobat when I printed and use legal paper, but that's simple enough. Just use the snapshot tool and scaleable printing. I did cut little notches in mine to aid in alignment.

Papercut
12-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Actually the CA just makes it kind of leathery and stronger. It does the same thing with paper. I would imagine that after it fully cures in a few days it would be much more brittle. I'm not sure, but I'll find out soon enough with the extra railings I made!

You don't need to worry about the math or templates as Paper Shipwright already has a downloadable .pdf with instructions on his download page, along with a lot of very nice free models. Paper Shipwright - Card Models (http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/download.shtml)

I did have to blow it up to 1:200 in Acrobat when I printed and use legal paper, but that's simple enough. Just use the snapshot tool and scaleable printing. I did cut little notches in mine to aid in alignment.
Thanks an is now downloaded on my system. You get a BIG SMILE:D

redhorse
12-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Glad to help you, Papercut!

I've spent a number of hours now on the 1st smoke stack. I was very nervous about these as there are so many little wire parts.

I ended up copying the template from the instructions and glueing it to cardboard to make a jig for the wires that wraps around the stack. I tried beading wire and brass wire and ended up preferring the 29 gauge brass. I glued these end to end with gell CA.

I stuck little supports made out of 32 gauge through the pin holes I put in before forming. Strangely, they printed markings for these only on the top one, so I penciled in the others. Then set the rings on top of these and glued again with the gell CA.

Luckily, in Shrike's current build thread he showed how to use Q-tips for rods and such. I used these for steam vent pipes or what ever they are. I also found out Q-tips can even be drilled on the end to create a pipe effect :D Amazing how useful the little things are.

Of course I couldn't resist setting the funnel in place to see what it will look like.

Don Boose
12-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Beautiful work and lots of useful information. It's great to see the synergy develop through Forum discussion and the sharing of techniques and discoveries.

Don

GreMir
12-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Wow!
Excellent work and the model with all this wire-work will be simply amazing.

willygoat
12-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Jim-You're starting to scare me with all of this tiny detail work. You must have super magnifying eyes and gyro-stabilized hands :D

Papercut
12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Another fine tip/detail. I have noticed that alot of the way wire is used is the same for wood ships, interesting. Where was the tip f/q-tip detail again.

eibwarrior
12-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Jim, she's starting to look like one of those picture-filled Maru Special magazines from Japan.

This thread is just too captivating!

B-Manic
12-31-2008, 12:46 PM
That is one amazing funnel Jim. The detail you have achieved is incredible.

Michael Mash
01-03-2009, 09:05 AM
That is one highly detailed funnel. And it looks right at home in that final image.
Nice work.
Mike

papiro
01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Jim!
Are you Sure this is your first "1/200/full hull" ship ? I canīt believe it !!!
Superb work my friend.
Saludazos.

Papercut
01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Redhorse, you are helping to prepare me for my next project which is 1:200. Your attention to detail is tops. I have learned a lot by watching this thread and I am not afraid to take on a ship that is a mass of railing and or wire details, the funnels are awesome. You get the BIG GREEN GRIN:D. Keep teaching.

redhorse
01-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I do appreciate all of your compliments. Thanks!

Actually, I do have super magnifying eyes, an optivisor knock-off over a pair of reading glasses ;)

This isn't my first model, I think that was when I was around the age of five and I'll be 43 on Tuesday (hence the reading glasses:rolleyes:) This is my first paper full hull paper ship though.

In the early to mid 90's I did a lot of WWI aircraft scratchbuilding and then produced and sold two resin kits of the Lloyd C.V and the RAF FE2b. I pretty much burned out on models after that :o. Resin is nasty stuff in high doses.

Then I got into sculpting and I'll post a few pics one day in the other things we do area. So few years ago I sold off all of my plastic and resin on eBay to buy spin casting equipment. Got a good deal off a guy in CA in case your looking for a centifugal casting machine. I've now got three sitting in my garage.

In order to get at least a 10 feedback, I of course went and bought some stuff :) I discovered paper models and bought 5 of them! And then I discovered free downloads, and after we got this house built and I did up my work area rooms I started building them.

I think the main thing I like about paper models is that even the entry level is very similar to scratch building and really requires a sculptor's touch.

Well, now back to the ship. I'm still on funnel number two - first one took around nine hours, but this one's only taken four so far and I'm hoping the third will only take two! I'm really wanting to get onto the bridge pretty soon!

Wow, I think this is the most long winded thing I've put on here yet! If only I can get a ship to really look like a Maru Special! I'm gonna need sailors. Should I make 'em out of paper or just buy some Plastruct people?

papiro
01-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow ! you are a MODELER in the total sense of the word...
Congratulations for your long and rich experiences and thanks for share your knowledge.
Saludazos... again !

Don Boose
01-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Papiro is absolutely correct!

Thanks for the background, Jim. It's always interesting to learn more about other members' modeling experience and background. I hope you have photos of your earlier models -- especially the WWI scratchbuilds!

Now, while you are working on the remaining funnels of the Isuzu as converted to an anti-aircraft cruiser and considering a future project, how about the Japanese light cruiser Kitakami, which was converted to a torpedo cruiser with 40 (count 'em) 40 torpedo tubes (10 quad mounts). If I am not mistaken, Answer produced a paper model of this version, although I am not sure it is still in print.

On a more serious note (although I really would like to see that Kitakami), David Hathaway (Paper Shipwright: http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/index.shtml) has some rather simple paper sailors, and Leif has done some work with small-scale paper figures. I recall some other Forum members working with paper sailors and Golden Bear has had a tiny French marin stalking the decks of the Charles Martel. I'm sending this from the office and can't easily scan through the archives, but I am sure someone (Leif himself or the new Maritime Moderator) can find those threads.

Don

redhorse
01-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I'll post some pics of the Lloyd and a couple sculptures over in the things we do and make area tonight. Unfortunately, all my scratch builds were destroyed in a move from Hong Kong to Minneapolis. A bit upsetting after putting over 1500 hours into one of them. Probably part of the reason I burned out on models for 10 years or so...

I do have the Answer Kitakami and was debating on building that one or the Isuzu. You're right there are 40 torpedo tubes and that's what decided it. Although once I start with the AA guns I'll probably be rethinking...

Thanks for the info on the figures, I think I'll try some of the Paper Shipwright ones and see how they look. Does anyone have any photos or links to IJN uniforms?

Here's the 2nd funnel, one left and I've got the rings made for it already so hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to move onto the bridge...

Don Boose
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow! The Kitakami comment was a shot in the dark, but I'm glad to know that you might actually build that kit.

Here are a couple of sites on Japanese Navy uniforms.

The Japanese Uniforms, 1941-1942 (http://www.geocities.com/dutcheastindies/Japanese_Uniforms.html)

Japanese uniforms of WW2 (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/japanese.htm)

Gary Nila has a good Osprey book on IJN aviator uniforms and another on Naval Special Landing Forces, but none on surface uniforms yet. http://www.ospreypublishing.com/authors/profile.aspx?ID=3377

Don

Papercut
01-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey Redhorse, have you seen the following kit: ADW Model IJN Yubari, 1:200. I find this a unique design for and I maybe wrong a Destroyer. This was one of those designs w/a funnel that looked like mutated duct work. Anyhow this is a really neat kit and they are available @ the Paper Model Store, you can spring for a few more bucks and get the laser cut frame work that includes PE as well. This appears to be a well designed and beautifully printed kit. After watching your thread, and I like IJN ships, I jumped and got me one of'um. She also carries a strange main gun layout as well. I am impressed with your work. Rick

redhorse
01-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey Rick, actually I just got the Yubari kit! It's very nice and from what I've read, Yubari was actually a light cruiser built around the same time as Isuzu. Interesting how different they look. Yubari served served frequently as a flagship for destroyer squadrons.

Almost finished with the last funnel. It's a pain to wait for the CA to dry...

redhorse
01-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Finally finished all the funnels and got them mounted. I already see a problem with a bent pipe now that I'm looking at the photes, but that should be easy enough to fix. It'll be nice to be working on something else!

papiro
01-09-2009, 05:13 AM
Wow!
A very clean and well done construction.
It looks like a "real" ship with a lot of improvements and details.
Congratulations !!!!
Saludazos.

Michael Mash
01-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Nice clean looking boat. I am enjoying following your progress.
Mike

Royaloakmin
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Jim, i am still curious about how you built the grab rings on the funnels. Did you glue the short attachment rods to the rings in the jig or did you glue the attachment rods to the funnel and add the rings? Did you poke holes in the paper?

Very fine work.

BTW, Yubari was a revolutionary light cruiser design that made Isuzu and all the other Japanese three funnel cruisers essentially obsolete.

redhorse
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Fred,

I made just the rings in a jig and punched holes in the funnel before I formed it. I used I think 32 gauge wire for the supports and glued those into the holes in the funnel. Next I bent down all the wires but four and placed the ring on those. I put a touch of gell CA at each intersection and once that was dry bent the other wires back up and glued them. Finally once everything is dry, I used a small scissors to cut off the excess wire and leveled the whole thing. It's not a completely exact process, but the effect seemed to come out pretty well. I wasn't sure if I could do it until I tried, it turned out to not be that difficult just really tedious.

Page 7 of this thread shows some photos of the process.

birder
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Looks great Jim!:)

Barry
01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Looks great can I borrow your fingers for a couple of nights please.

GreMir
01-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Isuzu looks better and better!

eibwarrior
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Very nicely done Jim...

I'm with Barry, what's your hourly rate?

I don't know what it is about IJN vessels. They look so ominous. Maybe it's all the books I've read. I can only imagine how this deadly vessel looked in the water at 30 knots!

Don Boose
01-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Beautiful detail work, Jim. And nice work on the torpedo flat.

Don

redhorse
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks again for all the compliments. Don't these IJN ships look ominous? I've been in love with them ever since I can remember.

Don, thanks very much for the links to uniforms and the sailors. I've discovered that IJN winter uniforms look close enough to WWI British Navy uniforms at this size to go ahead and use them. I'll just have to paint the leggings of the enlisted seamen white if I decided to put more of them on the ship.

Here's where I am with the bridge. Amazing how many binoculars they had on this thing, I've got 15 more pair to make...

Papercut
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Again you set the bar high. Stop it!!!! Na, you keep on doing what you are doing, gives me ideas and what to shoot for in a build. I too have down loaded the little blue men, explain a little bit further what you did to make the little fellers! Are you using additional references or does this much detail come w/kit:eek:. I noticed the port holes are glazed. What material or method did you employ to do this. And do you paint out the back to keep from looking into the cavity of the build. I have built many plastic ship models and as a must, port holes were always opened up. Brings back nightmares of the 1:350 Titanic and it's gazillion portholes. But done right, makes a ship sing. Oh yea, look'n good. :D

Michael Mash
01-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Nice straight looking components on that superstructure.
Mike

eibwarrior
01-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Wow Jim. You're taking the detail to new heights. I have to admit, I'm following a lot of build threads right now but this one is by far my favorite. You're doing an incredible job.

The crew men look great. I'm going to have to download and give those a try some time. I like those as much as their resin counterparts...

Ominous... Yes. But elegant also :cool:

Don Boose
01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
This is just absolutely amazing work!

I'm glad the uniform references helped. Your Kaigun suihei, gunsō, and ikan look great!

Don

birder
01-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Jim this is looking just superb! (you have really good eyes):)

redhorse
01-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I think Fuso may be my next. I keep debating and I want to build another locomotive, but Fuso keeps calling. All three of them, I don't have DN's yet and I'd like an early version as well... I just wish someone would make Ise. And Kongo. Why is there no 1:200 Akagi? We've got Zuikaku, Shokaku, Junyo - but no Akagi...

Well, enough ranting, I need to learn Rhino - Yacht Design School (http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/cadcourse.htm) - I've been seriously debating taking this course for a year or so now with my wife. Yacht design may not be in hot demand now, but not that expensive to study and worse comes to worse I can just design paper models :)

Thanks very much for all the compliments. As Eib says in his year plus long thread - they mean a lot!

And Rick, no special means for the little blue guys. Just cut, score, glue, cut, cut, glue, cut. :o No extra details other than the sailors beyond the printed parts and the patterns for the wire. I am using platic rod for some of it. Much easier to cut and some Q-tip and lollipop sticks for masts and vents.

Right now I've been glazing all windows with Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue. Works great for portholes, but for the bridge windows I'm not so sure. It leaves little bubbles. I'll have to try the microscale crystal clear one of these days again. Did caboose windows in N-scale with it years ago with no problems at at all...

eibwarrior
01-14-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree Jim... Akagi and Ise are two subjects that need more coverage. I believe I remember a rumor last year where Gremir had a designer working on Hiei but I don't think that has materialized yet...

It would be neat if the market would yield an Ise with the option to build or not build the retrofit flight deck on the aft section.

rickstef
01-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Well, enough ranting, I need to learn Rhino - Yacht Design School (http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/cadcourse.htm) - I've been seriously debating taking this course for a year or so now with my wife. Yacht design may not be in hot demand now, but not that expensive to study and worse comes to worse I can just design paper models :)

found this on ebay, might be a good primer

Model Yachts Sailboat Hulls Made from Paper HowTo PLANS - eBay (item 360123322442 end time Jan-18-09 19:02:16 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Model-Yachts-Sailboat-Hulls-Made-from-Paper-HowTo-PLANS_W0QQitemZ360123322442QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item360123322442&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

Don Boose
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I vote for Fuso of course! I'd love to see you applying your skills to that pagoda superstructure!

Don

Michael Mash
01-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Yes. Doing Fuso is quite a project. Its a fascinating build with that superstructure, bi-winged floatplanes and six turrets. If its a go, I'll be watching.
Mike

papiro
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Wow!
No one like the Fuso!!! a unique shape and nice design.
Saludazos

redhorse
01-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Still debating what to build next, I always find that quite enjoyable :)

I've been working on the bridge and there are a lot of little fiddly parts, still a ways to go before I'm finished.

Does anyone know what the structures are above and below the windows? They look like long sheets of metal mounted on rows of fins.

eibwarrior
01-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Great job Jim. Man, it's evident how much the IJN relied on sharp-sighted lookouts for their early-warning system. Funny thing is, they more often than not beat the early surface search radars of the USN in the early going of WWII.

Jim, I don't know the term for those "shields" but I'm sure they're a variant of the splinter shields that you see around the gun mounts of all ships of that era.

Royaloakmin
01-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Sorry but I disagree. They are wind deflectors, to funnel the wind upwards, away from the bridge while underway. They are quite common on British warships also. Great work, Jim. (and you too, Eib, your Arizona is a beauty!)

Golden Bear
01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Beautiful work on the bridge, Jim. Much nicer than mine was. I had never heard of these wind deflectors - thanks for the heads up, Fred.

Don Boose
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Superb bridge, Jim.

And thanks for the info on the wind deflectors, Fred -- I've wondered for over 60 years what those things were.

Don

eibwarrior
01-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Fred. I learned somthing today. I always thought they were a splinter shield or flash supression guard. It never occured to me that wind deflection was an issue.

However, now that I think about it, you see similar bridge shields in other nation's vessels of the same era.

Royaloakmin
01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
I had wondered about them for a long time. They are very common on British cruisers of the WWII era, if you think about it, its like a venturi, funneling the wind up and over the bridge, and not directly into the face of the bridge watch. Don't remember where I picked that bit of info up, tho.

I agree with Carl, an excellent bridge; I like the figures inside, brings it to life.

Michael Mash
01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Nice work on that complex looking bridge Redhorse. Looks like you are planning on building the whole thing prior to installing it on the boat. Not a bad idea.
Mike

Papercut
01-18-2009, 07:34 PM
One of the lessons I learned while building wood ships, build as much off the boat as you could, then attach. Made detailing a lot easier. Looks like you already know that fact. Look'in goooood. Rick

redhorse
01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Ahh, wind deflectors make sense. I thought it might be armor when I was making it, but the curves would add to the cost and be of no use that I could think of. Also, they aren't on the side - so armor didn't make sense. Thanks very much for the info, Fred.

As Rick says, it's much easier to build things as sub-assemblies and then mount them. The hardest part with wooden ships for me is the rigging, partly because it has to be built in place...

Golden Bear
01-18-2009, 10:25 PM
The hardest part with wooden ships for me is the rigging...

Ugh, rigging. ooooh. rigging. Ugh.

redhorse
01-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Heh, rigging. I love how they look when it's finished, but until it's done....

Not sure how much I'll be able to work on Isuzu now that the weekend's over, so here's today's progress.

Don Boose
01-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Simply outstanding!

Don

eibwarrior
01-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Wow! I'm speechless Jim.

If you wanted to do a diorama with larger scale figures, just this bridge and mast would be a good sub-assembly to turn into an up-scale diorama.

dansls1
01-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Great bridge!

Royaloakmin
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Jim, after seeing all your other work, I want to see how you rig and rail her, too.

redhorse
01-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Hadn't thought about a bridge diorama, but I like that idea. I think I've seen something like that in 1:35 of U-Boot conning tower in resin.

Currently working on a bunch of wire-work signal flag masting and railing on Isuzu. The drawings are good for the masts - especially as I'm building them and figuring out which line goes where when I have a bit of wire in my tweezers - then the drawing makes sense. But there aren't any drawings at all for the railings. I can't find good photos of the real ship showing any detail and am relying on photos of a 1:700 waterline Isuzu - it is an amazing build! The Plastic Model Workshop ????? - 6 ????? - 1/700 IJN ISUZU ??? (http://www.thepmw.com/phorum/read.php?f=21&i=18131&t=18131)

I do still like looking at plastic and photo-etch, even though I've sworn abstinance. :D (didn't include thermoset plastic or metals in that vow though :rolleyes:)

eibwarrior
01-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Wow, that is a fantastic model. That should be very helpful in your rigging job.

I've got a source for a good digitally colored real photo of Isuzu. Take a look at this...

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/imgs/5/2/52072c4e.jpg

This blogger does colorization of IJN photos. He does some good work. Go to link here: ????????????????? (http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/)

treadhead1952
01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Jim,

Just starting out in this form of modeling and I can only echo the positive comments of all the others. This has been an excellent tutorial on how these things go together and I will be watching with great interest as you progress.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Don Boose
01-22-2009, 04:12 PM
eib -- Thanks for the Japanese website. I really like those colorized photos. They bring those old IJN ships to life -- as does Jim's great model. Don

redhorse
01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Yes, thanks for the website Eib! I've got Isuzu as my wallpaper at work now.

Papercut
01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
:eek:If you are into INJ ships, go to this site. I added to my favorites. Some outstanding photos for the detail er and it ain't too bad there in color too!

eibwarrior
01-22-2009, 10:03 PM
You're welcome fellows. A guy in the Steelnavy.com forum turned me onto that site. I watch it every week as it updates regularly. That guy is gifted. These are great photographic creations.

Good for studying and model building as well.

Lex
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
That's amazing!! I'm the most impressed with the retouch

redhorse
01-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Well, I finished the bridge tonight. I went and bought a variety of sizes of fly-tying thread and used some of that for the signal flag lines. I figured it would be easier to put those on before the bridge was mounted.

Now, on to the mizzen-mast, or is it the main-mast? I'm not sure...

Yu Gyokubun
01-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Careful work!!! Every parts look beautiful!!!

treadhead1952
01-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi Jim,

The level of detail that you are putting into the Isuzu is amazing as well as inspirational. That bridge looks right on, can't wait to see how she progresses, I am sure it will be most excellent.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Michael Mash
01-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Terrific looking bridge. I am impressed with your signal-flag line work. Lots of good camera angles as well. We couldn't get a better view if we were there in person.
Mike

willygoat
01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
My hands ache just looking at the details. Great work jim:D

Don Boose
01-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Whoa! That is incredible!

You are really bringing this ship to life.

Don

eibwarrior
01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
All I can say is "wow!" Jim. That's fantastic.

Nice rigging work. Those signal flag lines look like they're right out of an old black and white photo book.

birder
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
wonderful work, Jim! Just terrific detail work!:)

Papercut
01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
OK, whats up, you get me hooked and then I get stringed out waiting for my next Isuzu fix. What outstanding goody have you got setting on that work bench. Your fellow paperphiles are waiting.:(

redhorse
01-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorry for the delay there... I finished the mast last night around 12:30. It became top heavy towards the end and fell off onto the floor after I had everything on. Luckily, it didn't do much damage and it's on the ship now. I took some pics to post and then promptly fell asleep before posting them! I'll get them uploaded after work tonight. That mast was a pain in the butt but I'm overall pleased with the final results.

Then it's time for boats and guns :D

redhorse
01-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all of your compliments, this thing is taking a lot more time and energy than I thought it would and they really help :)

Here are the pictures from last night. I'm getting to the point where I really want to get this ship outside and get some sunlight and sky shots. The masts are again made from peeled lollipop sticks. It's so much easier and cleaner than using the thick kit parts. I ended up peeling the flag to get it thinner so I could bend it around. The signal lines on both masts ended up looking like there was a wind from the port side (didn't try and do that), so I figured I could make it look intententional by putting the flag in the proper position. :rolleyes:

Well, I think I'll go out of number sequence now and build the barge, or whatever that boat is called, so I can get the boom mounted on this mast. Then, we go for the guns!

treadhead1952
01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi Jim,

Another excellent job on the aft mast, have to remember that trick with the flag, I was wondering what I was going to do with the thick cardboard rendition from the kit. Your rigging is just down right amazing and the rest of it matches up to make a real beauty of a model. Looking forward to the next update.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Michael Mash
01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Terrific work on that mast. And lots of images! You outgun everyone for quantity of images. Sounds like you are itching to get to the guns. I'm looking forward to it.
Mike

Don Boose
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
The entire mast is superb, Jim, but the searchlight is incredible.

Don

treadhead1952
01-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Jim,

I was cruising the Paper Model Stores' webpages and discovered that he is showing the answer Models Isuzu kit at $11.46. Oh yeah, when the eagle screams again, I can see one of them coming my way. :D

Don't think I will quite come up to the level of your build here, but I am sure I will have a blast and use all the information that you have provided here to help me whittle one out. Just out of curiousity, how long is this bad boy?

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

redhorse
01-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the comments on the photos, I really enjoy taking them. One of these years I want to try photo-shopping some, but I'm not too hot at photo shop yet.

I bought the kit from papermodelstore with my first order almost exactly a year ago - I just checked! It looks like I paid $11.45, so it must have been on sale back then too. It's actually a pretty big ship - 32 inches long. By far the biggest paper model I've made yet.

I see he has Halinski's Fuso in now - finally. And the Wespe!!! I bought Fuso a while back from model-hobby and it's an incredible kit. Whose do I build? Halinski's or Angraf's? Or both? One can never have too many Fuso's around the house...

treadhead1952
02-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks Jim,

I have always liked the 5500 Ton cruisers the Japanese produced prior to WWII and the Isuzu as part of the Nagara Class falls right in there. Now if I could find a Kuma and a Sendai class I can have a blast building up a bunch of variations on the theme. Always wanted to build a Kitakami as she was in '41 and '42 with her 10 quadruple mount torpedo launchers lined up 5 at a side. And with the early experiments in ship board aircraft use these would be simple conversions to a basic model.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

eibwarrior
02-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Superb work Jim. Those masts look like the highly detailed work of plastic or resin. And as always, excellent photography.

You're stretching your skills to the next level my friend. I'm envious.

Golden Bear
02-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I have to agree. I'm glad that I set this one aside since you are doing such a wonderful job with it. It's sort of a vicarious build for me that way.

Carl

Royaloakmin
02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Kitikami is available in 1:200, don't remember who, tho.

Don Boose
02-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Answer produced the Kitakami in the "torpedo cruiser" version and Jim indicated earlier in this thread that he has the kit, so perhaps we may see one take shape here some day. What a pair that would be!

Don

treadhead1952
02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Guys,

Now that I know there is one out there, I can see I am going to have to chase one down. And its' even in the maker's line that I like, so far. I am looking forward to doing some kit bashing with a paper model, should be even more interesting than a styrene kit, not to mention easier.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Royaloakmin
02-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Try GPM or Moduni, one will have it. Thats a lot of torpedo tubes to roll:)

redhorse
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm glad you all are enjoying this build, so far it's been very fun and the kit is excellent. Only two bad parts so far that I've found, and I haven't gotten to them yet. The boarding stairs are horrible and I'll have do something about those.

Jay, it looks like Model-Hobby still has Kitakami as well.

Anyhow, here is a small update - I've made a little landing craft and mounted it before I get to work on the boom.

treadhead1952
02-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Nice work on your landing craft Jim. Some great closeups there.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Michael Mash
02-03-2009, 07:02 AM
I love your work on that landing craft, nice and precise. In a couple of the images, I can even see a tiny propeller. Terrific.
Mike

Yu Gyokubun
02-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Neat landing craft Jim! Your Isuzu is getting meaner by the minute.
BTW, mind telling which manufacturers knife is it? It looks nice.

redhorse
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
BTW, mind telling which manufacturers knife is it? It looks nice.

Yu, I think it's actually an X-acto brand knife, but it's over 20 years old now so I don't know if they still make it.

birder
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Looks really nice, Jim!

Royaloakmin
02-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Yu-san, I would think that you have some of those very nice NT cutters?

Yu Gyokubun
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Yu-san, I would think that you have some of those very nice NT cutters?

Thanks Jim and Fred-san,
I found NT cutter's home page. I will buy one of their products.
Want to have nice tool that others use is like as saying goes the grass is always greener....

redhorse
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Here's the boom. I sanded down a bamboo skewer, drilled a hole in it and glued a piece of wire in the end. They didn't give parts for the pulleys so I photo copied the plans onto card several times and sandwiched some circles in between them. I used CA on silk thread for the cables.

treadhead1952
02-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Some mighty fine work on your boom, she looks ready to ship that landing craft right over the side. Had it been me, I would have drilled my finger at least twice drilling the end of that skewer, not to mention CAing the thread to my wounded finger. ;) :D

I found the PE parts that Paper Modeler has for the Isuzu, the set is only an Andrew Jackson, when I order mine, I think I will go that route. it should save my newby sanity some.

Jay Massey
teadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

willygoat
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
That's some fine detail there Jim. It looks wonderful

Michael Mash
02-06-2009, 07:12 AM
I think your rigging work is remarkable. You have really made a statement with it.
Mike

eibwarrior
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Jim, you have to get photo of the week with this build when you're finished. The craftsmanship is just to excellent to ignore...

Nice work with the skewer boom. Who knew whittlin' was a paper-crafting skill.... :D

willygoat
02-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I think he should have been getting photo of the week every time he's posted! These shots are just amazing. I still can't figure out how you get those tiny details Jim. :eek:

Don Boose
02-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Incredible work, Jim. This is a truly wonderful build with lots of good advice on techniques (even if I don't have the skill to replicate your techniques) and, of course, it is right in the exact center of my range of historical and modeling interests.

The little daihatsu landing craft is a superb model in and of itself!

Don

redhorse
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know about picture of the week, there's too many incredible models around this place :D

I've been sick the last few days and didn't have the concetration for tiny stuff for a while. It started to come back this afternoon, so I figured as long as I wasn't at work I might as well mount the first guns. I just used wire for the barrels and then wrapped that with 32 gauge beading wire. I'm kind of glad I've got this bunch done, but I've got 11 triple mounts next :eek: Wrapping those will be difficult I think.

Papercut
02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Again, WOW. I have enjoyed this thread so much. Your ability to come up with ways to build the components has taught me many techniques. I have been so impressed by the build, ordered the kit w/PE. I will return to this thread many times. I think this is one of the best I have seen of a IJN ship, the other one is the scaled down FUSO. Great work.

treadhead1952
02-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I second that WOW!

You are going to be the cause of making Paper Models Store run out of Isuzus' if this keeps up Jim.:D

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Barry
02-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Excellent as always makes me feel sorry for the por lonely sod up in the bows.

Michael Mash
02-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Nice work on those guns. And I like the imperial Japanese insignia on the bow.
Mike

willygoat
02-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Holy moly! Those are some nice guns :D All the itty bitty stuff is why I don't do ships, but you should keep doing them. Man, that's awesome!

Papercut
02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks eib and willygoat. I like that vinyl flooring snips idea - I'll have to remember to pick up a pair.

Here are the decks and I did decide on the hull. I glued 5mm strips on all of the frames and it seems to have worked ok. redhorse, I know this goes back to the beginning, I have this and was looking at your way of beefing the frame w/0.5mm card, is this correct, and you I assume painted/colored the red areas. I am following very closely how you are building. I have to admit though, I opted for the PE set for the fine details, however, some of the details you have incorporated looks better than the PE, ie: funnel caps, so I will use both to improve the details. Again I am amazed you stated at the start this is your 1st full hull build. Looking forward to more of this build. I agree, that poor sod at the front of the ship manning that HMG must have had one heck of a ride while the ship was full ahead dodging bombs. Oh yea, the HMG are outstanding. Can not wait to see what you do with the main AA batteries.:DRick

redhorse
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks Rick,

Actually, I used 5mm wide 0.2 mm thick cardstock not 0.5 mm thick. I just used markers to color it red and grey before gluing on the plates. I don't think the 0.5 would work and even the 0.2 made things not quite fit in the stern. I'm thinking of other ways to do it for my next build.

Riding on the bow in heavy seas with SBDs coming in would have made for quite an experience. Glad it wasn't me!

Got the first triple mount done last night...

Papercut
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks Jim, I was not sure what you meant for the frame, let us know about other ways you might come up with. I thought Business card stock might work cut 5mm wide? Now you got me drooling, lets see that triple!!!!!

redhorse
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
OK, I got the 11 triple mounts finished! Now I have to roll barrels for the remaining guns. Never done that yet, so I hope they turns out ok...

Michael Mash
02-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice craftsmanship on those triple barrell guns, especially considering their small size. They all have that uniform look, as if they came out of a mold.
Mike

Don Boose
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Superb guns! You maintain an incredible degree of precision that adds to the realism of the overall ship.

Don

treadhead1952
02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Have to agree with all those positive comments, some more excellent workmanship to produce them.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

eibwarrior
02-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Nice triple AA's Jim. Those look remarkably accurate for such tiny assemblies. The Yamato movie that they made in Japan a couple years ago shows these guns up close and in action.

You've done a good job rendering those.

dansls1
02-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Very nice job on the little guns!

redhorse
02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I finished one of the main guns today. I've never rolled paper barrels before, so this is a new experiment. The kit part is on cardstock and gives a piece of white that you're supposed to roll first to give the grey something to wrap around. This would work fine if it was printed on regular paper but not with cardstock. I was thinking of peeling it, but I'm not always pleased with the strenghth of the paper when I do that, so I cut off the white and rolled the grey using a wire to form it. The inside of the barrel is then too wide and has to be trimmed off with tiny scissors. Then I just put some Aleene's on and held it in place for a while and then rolled it some more between my fingers to even it out. This also has the advantage of producing a hollow barrel. Touch up the seam with paint, put that part on the bottom and it doesn't look half bad. The four tubes on top I ended up copying onto regular weight paper as they were too tiny. Two more left and then onto the ship's boats.

Yu Gyokubun
02-16-2009, 02:22 AM
The barrel looks nice. When I built a gun barrel for the first time it was not that straight

treadhead1952
02-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Those main guns look right on, another detail sucessfully added to what promises to be an amazing build. When I get around to building mine, this thread is going to be an invaluable manual on how this thing goes together.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

eibwarrior
02-16-2009, 07:57 AM
I agree treadhead. This expert level of craftsmanship serves as a "how to" for anyone wanting to build one of these amazing kits.

Jim, you did great for your first attempt at barrel rolling. I ruined many before I figured out this art form. Notice I didn't say skill. This is an art form.

Don Boose
02-16-2009, 09:33 AM
You provided an excellent tutorial on the gun construction. Rolling tubes is one of (several) of my great weaknesses as a paper model builder. Your gun barrels and the recoil cylinders are beautifully done.

Whats is your secret for getting the paper to roll cleanly around fine-gauge wire at the beginning of the process? I have tried Gil's method of embossing the paper down into a groove without much success and get the best results from pressing the edge of the paper down against the wire with a steel ruler, but the darned thing still wants to unravel before I can get the roll started.

Don

redhorse
02-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Don,

These are my first barrels, but the stands for the binoculars and single mount guns were made the same way. In general, I don't like using tabs and cut them off of the stand pieces. I thought maybe barrels would work this way as well, even though they are longer.

I started out using a small diameter knitting needle. I set the part on top of one of those gel wrist rests and pressed down. The Shrike Pointystyk instead of the knitting needle worked well for the tapered stands. Then I go at it with smaller and smaller wires, just using my fingers to twirl it around the wire. Finally, I'll take the wire out and just roll it between my fingers and then glue. Twirl it again a bit once the glue is finally dry.

Actually, I like to use my fingers for anything I can. I get better contol and feel than with tools if the part is big enough. Plus the skin oils seems to give a pretty good grip without overly damaging the parts as happens sometimes with tweezers.

Don Boose
02-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks, Jim! Sounds like good advice.

Don

Papercut
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
As has been stated, rolling period is tough for all, and does require finess. I am amazed when someone rolls and the barrel is tapered, beyond my limited skills. Your idea of using a wire to form/burnish the paper is a valuable tip. Someone has started at an attempt to produce a tool that is designed for this very thing, barrel and or tapered parts, of who, I know he will design and make. I for one will purchase. Until then, roll, roll ,roll, oh yea forgot glue:eek:, maybe thats why my barrels don't look right. LOL. As always you keep setting the bar higher and higher. Good job mattee. :D Rick

redhorse
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, I'm finished with the guns now and can move onto the boats! I should be finished in March. I'm already thinking about what to build next...

treadhead1952
02-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Great work on those big guns Jim, you sure are making this one a tough act to follow. How about something nice and simple like a Yamato or Bismarck? ;) :D

I ordered up the PE set for the Kiji and am thinking about building it for my next attempt once I get the Akizuki done. Hopefully I will have figured out a little more on how these things go together by them. Watching you build this one has been a learning experience in itself not to mention inspirational.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

GreMir
02-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Excellent job on the Isuzu!
I don't post much in ship's threads but watch in awe :D

member_3
02-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Wonderful build, Jim! I see a carrier (Junyo, Lex, Gambier Bay?) in your future - LOL.

eibwarrior
02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Excellent work Jim. She's coming into focus now.

As you continue to run down hill on Isuzu, I want to encourage you to tackle another IJN subject Jim. You're doing such a splendid job on the fine details. Maybe a Cruiser? Tone? Takao?

Don Boose
02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Anything you decide to build will be worth watching, Jim, but I have my fingers crossed for another IJN ship.

Don

redhorse
02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Wonderful build, Jim! I see a carrier (Junyo, Lex, Gambier Bay?) in your future - LOL.

I'll admit, I have been drooling over all three lately :) I haven't built any tiny airplanes yet and they look intriguing.

I'll have to decide soon enough, plus I'm going to build a Zarkov Hellcat - but I figure I can do that at the same time. I think I'll list the ones I'm thinking of and let people vote - I like them all too much :D

redhorse
02-23-2009, 07:50 PM
These little launches took more effort than I thought they would - holy cow, the designer packed a lot of detail into these things. I glued the center support on early to protect the prop and rudder and get the boat lined up properly. Finally getting to the end...

On another note, does anyone know if Yamato carried ships boats? I'm looking at the Halinski kit and there aren't any. No photos I find show any either and there was plenty of deck space to carry a bunch of them.

GreMir
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I believe that I read somewhere that Yamato's boats were stored under the deck on the stern.
Could be wrong of course....

Don Boose
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Don't know about boats aboard Yamato, but those Isuzu motor launches are outstanding!

Don

CharlieC
02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
From (thnx to Google books):

Battleships: Axis and Neutral Battleships in World War II
By William H. Garzke, Robert O. Dulin, Alan Raven
Published by Naval Institute Press, 1985
ISBN 0870211013, 9780870211010

"Temporary storage of aircraft on the open deck aft was possible by the provision of rails, although special below-deck storage facilities were provided in the stern for ship's boats and aircraft to protect them from gun blast"

From the same text:

"Firing three guns in any one turret was calculated to produce blast pressures of 7kg/sq.cm (about 100 psi) 15 metres from the muzzles. Blast pressure of only 0.28 kg/sq.cm could destroy boats on board ship, while 1.16 kg/sq.cm could temporarily knock a man out."

Regards,

Charlie

redhorse
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
"Firing three guns in any one turret was calculated to produce blast pressures of 7kg/sq.cm (about 100 psi) 15 metres from the muzzles. Blast pressure of only 0.28 kg/sq.cm could destroy boats on board ship, while 1.16 kg/sq.cm could temporarily knock a man out."

Regards,

Charlie

:eek::eek::eek:

treadhead1952
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Jim,

I swear, you must have the Keebler Elves under contract! Those are some excellent small motor launches. I have been eyeballin' the two I have to build up for the Akizuki and they ain't gonna come close to the precision that you are demonstrating here. How did you make the railings for the bows?

Looking forward to your next installment.

Michael Mash
02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
I like the work you do on these small boats. You have a nice consistent technique that seems to work well. You are correct, there is alot of detail there that make them stand out nicely. Are these made with card or paper?
Mike

eibwarrior
02-24-2009, 07:29 AM
:eek:

Jim, words fail me on these boats. Such precision!

redhorse
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys!

Michael, the boats are made out of card. I didn't scan the kit, so I'm just using the cardstock it was printed on...

birder
02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
My Jim those are amazing. You are a fine minaturist(sp?)

redhorse
02-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Sorry Jay, I forgot to answer your question. I used fine gauge beading wire and made the railing first. I glued that to the boat first with cheapo gel super glue. the I cut some more for the stanchions and glued them on. I made the stanchions too big and trimmed them with little scissors after they were dry. Pretty similar to the way I made the wire work on the funnels.

Papercut
02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
:eek::eek::eek:
I once read that the blast from a main turret of Yamoto if you were exsposed to it, would rip the skin from your body, and of course, you would be as dead as a door nail, if any of you were found. The HMS Rodney could not turn her main guns but so far toward the bridge, because the blast from those guns would wreck the bridge and all glass would be shattered. Not sure of material, that was the reason that the guns mounted on the MO were the size they were, limitations of firing if they were mounted any larger, and yes the good ole US Navy had guns as big as the Yamoto's:D, just were not mounted on any ship, believe were considered for the Montania Class BB? But the sad thing about all those big guns, no match for air dropped bombs!!!!!!!:eek: What else can be said about this build. You have shown what can be done w/o all the extras (PE/Laser Cut Parts), just good model skills. Many watch to see your methods, that includes me, and go on to improve their own builds, that is as good a honor as your likely to get. What do you intend for the future, noticed alot of ACC's mentioned, I for one would like to see what you could do with a classic planked hull, ie: USS Lexington, Model Ship Yard. Your friend Rick

PAPER FAN
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
The mighty MO was too narrow hulled for a larger turret. She was built however with a higher muzzle velocity 16" gun than all previous US BB's. The Montana's would have carried 12 x 16 inch guns in the same tripple mounts as the Iowa's.

The U.S. and nobody else knew the Yamato's carried an 18" gun and did not know until after the war ended. The Japanese understood a BB with enough beam to carry an 18" gun would not pass through the Panama Canal.

Also, the Japanese were the first to truelly accept the aircraft carrier as the ultimate naval weapon of the day. Until the air units were all but wiped out, the carriers led all charges.

Papercut
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
The mighty MO was too narrow hulled for a larger turret. She was built however with a higher muzzle velocity 16" gun than all previous US BB's. The Montana's would have carried 12 x 16 inch guns in the same tripple mounts as the Iowa's.

The U.S. and nobody else knew the Yamato's carried an 18" gun and did not know until after the war ended. The Japanese understood a BB with enough beam to carry an 18" gun would not pass through the Panama Canal.

Also, the Japanese were the first to truelly accept the aircraft carrier as the ultimate naval weapon of the day. Until the air units were all but wiped out, the carriers led all charges. Quotes taken from the following book: Iowa Class Battleship, Their Design, Weapons & Equipment, Robert F. Sumrall: A warship serves as a platform to carry its armament into combat. It exists for no other reason. The armament of the Iowa class is arguably the finest ever conceived and produced. The guns, their mountings and operating machinery were fashioned into a complex and sophisticated weapons system which after nearly half a century, is still the finest of its type afloat. The main armament of the Iowa class is the 16in/50cal Mark 7 gun. During the early-1938 studies which led to the Iowa class, the General Board seriously considered using the 18in/47cal gun developed by the Bu Ord during the 1920's. Although it did present some advantages, especially the penetration of plunging fire at extended ranges, the 16in/50cal was considered an all round better weapon. The 45,000 ton weight limit was taken seriously in the Iowa design, which mounting this weapon would increase this limit.
If the 18in caliber had been selected, a new lightweight 48cal and or 50cal would have been used, the 18in/47cal Mark A. This weapon would have mirrored the 16in/50cal Mark 7 design techniques with a 2,500ft/sec intial velocity for the 3,850 lb AP projectile rather than the 2,400ft/sec velocity as in a 18in/47cal Mark A. (EOC) I agree the design as built would not mount the weapon, but this could very well have been carried by this ship if redesigned to do so w/a smaller and lighter weapon, I agree no one knew that the Yamato carried this size gun, but they were not the only ones developing such a weapon platform. And from the research I have done on the Iowa design, there has not nor will be another like them. The design has stood the test of time and as I am aware, no other country today has been able to keep any of the mighty BB's they developed beyond what the 50's, scraped in the 60's. And as far as that Air Arm, I agree they used to the best of their ability, I believe they got the idea from watching a little demo put on by a unknown at the time, who showed that from the air a ship could be sunk. They just took what was demo'd and put to their use until they got a taste of the same from the Mighty US Navy and her Air Arm. Do not take me wrong, I believe the IJN at the time had some of the most advanced designs afloat, and the Yamoto is a testament to that. But I also feel that no other country has been able to put to sea the number and quality of ships that the United States Of America did that we still enjoy the freedom they fought for and died for. God Bless the USA. Sorry redhourse, did not mean to get so carried away with is answer. Your still tops!

shrike
02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Just for comparison, the blast overpressure numbers quoted exceed that of a 1kt nuclear weapon at about 100 metres. Or, FTM, a 10Mt blast at 15km. cite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions)

redhorse
02-26-2009, 10:14 PM
That's pretty interesting about those big guns. I've seen pictures of the blast area on the water when the Iowa would fire all of hers.

I finished one more boat and have one left. Then it's only the paravanes and the boarding stairs. The stair parts look strange to me, the last picture is them. You're just supposed to fold them over and then bend the top and the bottom. It will just be a ramp then. Does anyone know if this is correct? I can't find very good photos detailing this, but I haven't seen anything like that before and think it would be rather dangerous compared to stairs. I'm tempted to lift stair parts out of another kit. Everything else in the kit is so detailed, it's strange that these would be simplified to this extent.

Don Boose
02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
This model is just absolutely magnificent, Jim.

I'm more amazed every time I see it and I am so glad that you brought this ship to life. I can't wait to see your next project.

With regard to the ladders, I have looked at all the photos and diagrams in my copy of Eric Lacroix and Linton Wells II, Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1997) and found one photo of Sendai that clearly shows the ladder forward of the number three funnel and it is a true ladder, not a ramp. It also has rails on either side.

Is it possible that the treads are meant to be cut out on three sides and pushed in to turn the "ramps" into ladders?

If these are the amidships boarding gangways for coming aboard and leaving the ship from a pier, then I would think they ARE ramps. If they are boarding ladders meant for entering and leaving boats in the water alongside the ship, then they would be true ladders (the book's cover illustration shows one such in use along the port side of the Chokai).

Don

CharlieC
02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
That's pretty interesting about those big guns. I've seen pictures of the blast area on the water when the Iowa would fire all of hers.

Last hijack ..... promise....

Back in WW2 the New Zealand Navy installed a 12 inch gun, possibly a spare from the WW1 battlecruiser HMS New Zealand, on a hill behind the Devonport Naval Base on Auckland Harbour for coastal defence. However, no-one appears to have thought about the blast from a 12 inch gun. The only time it was ever fired, the blast broke most of the windows in the naval base and surrounding suburb.

Regards,

Charlie

redhorse
02-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I don't mind the hi-jacks at all, it's always either interesting, funny or both!

Thanks for the info and compliments, Don. I just checked out Google books for the first time and the one you mentioned is there. They cut a few pages out, but still a lot of great photos and diagrams. How do they get away with putting up complete or almost complete copyrighted books? Plus you can search!

CharlieC
02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
I just checked out Google books for the first time and the one you mentioned is there. They cut a few pages out, but still a lot of great photos and diagrams. How do they get away with putting up complete or almost complete copyrighted books? Plus you can search!

Google negotiated an agreement with the publishers a while ago. It seems that the publishers realised that having partial books on Google was good advertising and was likely to boost sales (I believe research shows it has). Google originally said they were going to load the Library of Congress on line - which implies every book published in the US in full. The present arrangement is a compromise with the publishers. The RIAA and MPAA should take note of this - but they're probably too wedded to their obsolete business models to comprehend.

Regards,

Charlie

treadhead1952
02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi Jim,

Getting down to the wire and that is what you will need to detail out those landing stairs. They were a "Z" shaped affair so cutting the steps out as Don has surmised is the best way to deal with them. Once you have the upper platform bent and the angle of the dangle to your liking you can then rail them with a two rail and stanchion set up down the sides. A davit was used to suspend the lower platform over the side and it had a upside down "U" shaped bracket arrangement that the davit wire was tied into atop the lower rail cage with one side open to allow for boarding. There were two forward on either side and two aft

Looking at my Isuzu kit, they only show the aft two but no davit or railing set up. The forward sets would normally be longer as the decks are higher forward, probably why they just didn't bother to show them in place since they only give you the shorties. These were rigged in harbor but taken down and stowed while the ship was under way, not permanently mounted as they are showing with some under supports on the last page drawing.

Michael Mash
02-27-2009, 07:09 AM
You really have a nice technique with all these small boats. For motivation, I'm going to be looking at these frequently before I attempt any.
Mike

eibwarrior
02-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Nice work on the ship's boats Jim. Paravanes at this scale should be challenging also. I look forward to seeing those.

As far as the stairs are concerned, it looks like some additional scratch-building is in order to get those up to par. Very simplistic compared to the rest of the details in this model.

papiro
02-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Jim.
You are near to finish your ship. A really nice work and a very detailed one too.
Thanks for share.
Saludazos again !! :)

Golden Bear
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Jim, I just want to check in to let you know that I watch every stage of this build. Build threads are sooo much more satisfying that simply seeing the finished product.

Your build is the benchmark for the everyone from now on. Your skills are awesome and your presentation - clean and sharp - is flawless. I would bow to your model and you but don't want to get forehead grease on my monitor.

Just awesome. Now I can finally dump my half finished model and sleep in peace.

Carl

redhorse
03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the info and compliments! I agree with you, Carl. Build threads are a wonderful thing. I love looking at them and I learn so much from everyone when I post one while building a kit. It's much more fun building with the internet :) And good luck with your kit, I'm really looking forward to it!!

Don, your method on the steps seems to have worked! I cut out an entire side to keep the steps thin and there isn't much left to hold the step to the side after cutting, but my trusty super glue fixed that. I haven't painted them yet, but I think they look pretty good.

I had to shave a little off the bottom of the boat to get the keel to fit and I'm not sure the inside was grey, but oh well....

The kit says to make the cranes for the boats out of wire, but the pictures I've seen all seem to suggest flat pieces. So... I copied the template onto card 8 times and then laminated. I've got some painting to do and then we'll see how all these parts look.

Not a lot of progress this time, but I figured I'd post what I've got. I'm busy making more railings too. Looks like I'll need three or four cards worth.

birder
03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice work Jim! Looks great.

Michael Mash
03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
You do have a nice touch with all the "microscopic" stuff.
Mike

Yu Gyokubun
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I think flat pieces of crane for the boats must be realistic and looking forward to seeing it painted

treadhead1952
03-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Jim,

Looks like you have figured out what to do with those boarding ladders. Some more nice clean work on the small boat as well. This one is rapidly coming to a grand finish.

Don Boose
03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Jim -- Glad to see the outstanding work on this fine model continues. Excellent work with the ladders . . . and everything else!

Don

redhorse
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm finished!!!!! Except for some little sailors which I will do at my leisure over the next few months. It took almost exactly four months to build her and the last little bit of railings kind of became a drag, but worth it in the end. Again, thanks everyone for the great support, ideas and interesting tidbits. Modeling's already a lot of fun, but the members of this forum make it even more fun for me :D I can highly recommend this kit, it went together really well with very few problems.

Yes, I know this is nuts, but I counted the parts I put into it. 2,327 pieces total - and I thought this would be a simple first full hull kit :p

I'll take some outside shots in the next few days and clear up my mess of a workshop to make way for a Hellcat and Zuikaku. I think I'll need the table in the other room for Zuikaku - it's too big at 127 cm in length!

Yu Gyokubun
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Congratulations on your neatly built Isuzu!
I look forward to Zuikaku build.

Ah, I found Japanese "UKIYOE" (wood block prints) just below fluorescent light on your desk. Do you collect them?

member_3
03-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Beautiful build! You should be quite proud of this achievement.

Don Boose
03-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Truly outstanding, Jim! This is one of the classic builds that is worth much study.

The way you transformed the flat "ramps" into detailed ladders is astonishing. But I could say that about every one of the details in this amazing model -- down to the superb paravanes.

Thanks also for sharing the photo of your workspace -- also one of the classics! Did you make the little box of drawers? It is reminiscent of the one that Leif showed us how to make in another forum. And, like Yu-sama, I enjoyed seeing the little ukiyoe of the beautiful lady in kimono (bijen?) tucked in the corner for inspiration.

I look forward to both the Hellcat and the Zuikaku.

Don

B-Manic
03-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Nicely done Jim. Some natural light pix would be nice. The bow shot is great.

~ cheers

Michael Mash
03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, I join the others in a round of congratulations on a fine project. I have learned quite a bit from following this one. I am really looking forward to watching you apply your techniques to Zuikaku.
Mike

ccoyle
03-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I also offer congratulations...been watching this one here and at MSW. Well done!

dansls1
03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Congratulations! Truly a model to be proud of ;)

treadhead1952
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
A most excellent finish to your Isuzu, it was great fun to watch it from beginning to end. Looking forward to your next foray into the IJN Fleet.

eibwarrior
03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Spectacular build Jim. Congrats on the great job.

That will be a shelf model that you will enjoy for years to come.

Great work!

Barry
03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
A superb build thoroughlt enjoyed watching.

redhorse
03-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments and the support through this build! :) I thoroughly enjoy posting these build threads, I learn so much by doing it.

I was able to get some outdoor shots today (amazing how much better the camera focuses in sunlight) and they bigger than the e-mail size I was taking before. Hopefully they come through to the site or I'll have to resize them

I'm not satisfied with the thread railings. I may have to break down and use photo etch or laser cut, but not without a fight! I'm thinking I'll try some of the fly tying thread I bought after I started doing the railings or try wire. The wire actually looks pretty decent on the launches.

Oh well, off to the next ones :D

Barry
03-21-2009, 05:09 AM
That is just magnificent

Don Boose
03-21-2009, 06:40 AM
It's an outstanding model, Jim. This build thread is a definite keeper. You have broken a lot of new ground and shown just how good one of these models can look with patience, care -- and a lot of skill and talent.

Now I know exactly what Isuzu looked like as an anti-aircraft cruiser and have learned a lot about Japanese warship construction.

Looking forward to seeing Zuikaku getting under way.

Don

Royaloakmin
03-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Great job, Jim!!

redhorse
03-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Ah, I found Japanese "UKIYOE" (wood block prints) just below fluorescent light on your desk. Do you collect them?

Hi Yu,

I do enjoy ukioye and have many books on the subject. I actually majored in Asian Studies in college and took a number of of courses in Chinese & Japanese art - along with political science and history. The pictures you see in the background are actually a picture of a doll and a flyer from a 2005 exhibit called "From Geisha to Diva: The Kimonos of Ichimaru". That was a very nice exhibit.

I only have one real ukioye print, it's a late one from 1940 by Toshi Yoshida. I keep it in the hall between my work rooms. He got the rainy atmosphere down perfectly in a woodblock - amazing!

http://www.ukiyoe-gallery.com/ukiyoe/js1735b.jpg

Golden Bear
03-21-2009, 09:46 AM
A really excellent build. It has been extremely satisfying to watch.

Carl

Lex
03-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Fascinating to watch!

Yu Gyokubun
03-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Isuzu looks realistic in outdoor pictures. And thanks for showing us your collection of ukiyoe. It's amazing to represent rainy atomosphere without drawing falling rain drops

treadhead1952
03-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Jim,

Glad to se the outdoorsy shots up. It looked mightily impressive indoors, outdoors, it takes on a whole new dimension in excellence. You did one heck of a job building this one and showed us lots of great tips along the way. Thanks for taking all the time with it.