PDA

View Full Version : In need of tips for a scratchbuild design.

Propellerhead
08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Hello everyone,

Fortunately, I have found this forum a couple of days ago. The forum is very usefull I must say!

Because of this forum, I have been inspired to start a new project: Designing a Thunderbird 2 (movie 2004 edition) model!
I have always liked this model of the TB2 too, and nowhere on the internet is a model available. So I decided to design my own, since I liked to work with sketchup anyway.

So here's my question. Do you guys have any tips or tricks for designing such a model from scratch. Basicly my only lead is the movie.
At some point in the movie fortunately, they show a 3d model of the TB2. Now I dowloaded videodub( a program wich allows you to look at every frame seperately) and took a screen shot of all 4 sides of the TB2. The result:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2cpt56a.png

After that I drew an outline of the TB2 according to these pictures. Then I imported the outlines of the front, side and bottom picture into sketchup.
After some time spend fiddling with sketchup moddeling, I made this:

http://i45.tinypic.com/358rv3s.png

As you can see, it didn't really work out...

Now I hope anyone here can help me with their experiences. Maybe sofware to darking those pictures so I can see the outline better, or tips on how to make such models from scratch. Anything will help.

I thank you all in advance.

peter taft
08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrreat project, i feel sure one of our guys here will be able to help. Good luck with this, and enjoy.... i will :)

John Bowden
08-06-2012, 09:03 PM
You should be able to use a graphics program, PhotoShop, Gimp, Print Shop, etc. and modify the files so you can use them as screen backgrounds in a 3D program, Rhino, Blender, Wings3d, etc. as you would a 3 view drawing.

You are on the right track I think you just need to remove all the un-needed background fluff from the frame shots.

murphyaa
08-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I pulled your picture into Photoshop and did a quick invert. Not sure how it'll help, but is does make it easier to see the outlines.

I'm a big fan of Thunderbirds, and probably one of the few fans of the original series that also likes the Live action movie. I just don't have the skills to tackle Big Green.

Propellerhead
08-07-2012, 01:22 AM
@John : Thanks for the info, do you know any good tutorial videos on your favorite program for this task?

@murphyaa : Wow! Thanks alot, this will surely come in handy. I can see the outlines much better indeed. I hope I have the skill...
And yeah, I have read the complaints about the film. The machines look great in the film, and TB2 looks even more badass. I hope it will also do on my model when it's finished.

Keep it coming guys!

Thanks in advance!

Propellerhead
08-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Great so I have inverted the picture myself too now, on full scale.
But these pictures are actually kind of an x-ray type. That's why you see all this fluff everywhere.
Now I figured, the x-ray parts are lighter than the outlines, so if someone would know how to make the whole a bit darker. Then maybe we could see the outline much better.

I hope you guys know how.

Retired_for_now
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
You can also check on other designer's techniques ... about page 4 in our sci-fi downloads: PaperModelers.com - Downloads - THUNDERBIRD2 (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=193)

I think Gary and his cohorts have pretty much the complete set in the sci-fi download section.

Yogi

peter taft
08-07-2012, 05:02 PM
You can also check on other designer's techniques ... about page 4 in our sci-fi downloads: PaperModelers.com - Downloads - THUNDERBIRD2 (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=193)

I think Gary and his cohorts have pretty much the complete set in the sci-fi download section.

Yogi

We sure have... Gary's kept our "Childhood Alive and kicking" :) Here's a short article that may interest you:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/3570-stingray-fandersons.html

peter taft
08-07-2012, 05:07 PM
I pulled your picture into Photoshop and did a quick invert. Not sure how it'll help, but is does make it easier to see the outlines.

I'm a big fan of Thunderbirds, and probably one of the few fans of the original series that also likes the Live action movie. I just don't have the skills to tackle Big Green.

You have the skills my friend, but possibly not the "time" - you are a busy guy these days :)

Propellerhead
08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Well, after a countless search for thunderbird 2 models/pictures, I have found this.

Thunderbirds: X-ray Cross-sections (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0199112495/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books)

Description:
Amongst the biggest stars of the movie are the Thunderbird vehicles themselves. This book features ultra-detailed cutaway drawings that take you under the surface of the five main craft, as well as various support vehicles, Tracy Island and much else besides. The cutaways have been created using the latest computer-imaging software, so producing state-of-the-art illustrations to match the high-tech feel of the movie itself. The main cutaways are supported by full explanatory captioning and by stills from the film, showing the main characters and the vehicles themselves in action.

So this book will show me some more angles on the thunderbird machines from the movie. I think I will order this since it's not that expensive and hope that, in combination with my scanner, it will provide enough thunderbird 2 pictures to make a model in sketchup.

And if it doesn't then I'll have a nice little book that can maybe inspire me for some more thunderbird models.

Has anyone heard about this book?
Oh, and I still need some tips on designing. Do you guys think sketchup is the best choice for me, since I know it well? Or do you have any other tricks. Keep it comin'

Thanks in advance.

John Bowden
08-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Great so I have inverted the picture myself too now, on full scale.
But these pictures are actually kind of an x-ray type. That's why you see all this fluff everywhere.
Now I figured, the x-ray parts are lighter than the outlines, so if someone would know how to make the whole a bit darker. Then maybe we could see the outline much better.

I hope you guys know how.

In Photoshop you can play with contrast and brightness......... which Photo editor are you using? Also you should be able to erase out what you don't want.

Sorry, I don't know any video tutorials, but I do know of one on a forum I visit quit a bit. It's uses an old version of BLENDER but you might can get some info from it. You might have to join the site to see it.

felixdk.websitetoolbox.com/ (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/felixdk.websitetoolbox.com/)

The tutorial is under CAD and 3D section.

john

airdave
08-07-2012, 05:49 PM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/232/2/a/Thunderbird_2___Specs_by_Librarian_bot.jpg

peter taft
08-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Now that should help - Nice one Dave :)

murphyaa
08-07-2012, 09:39 PM
That's not the one from the 2004 movie though. Rather than a deployable pod, it had separate "Drawers" that lowered to deploy the pod vehicles

This one almost looks like somebody updated the original TB 2 cause they didn't like the movie one (I know I tried when it first came out).

Propellerhead
08-08-2012, 02:09 AM
@ John: Appreciate the info.! Thanks.

@ Airdave: Thanks alot, but murphyaa is right. This is a very weird version of the TB2. But it is nice to look at though!

Like I said, when I have that little book, it should be easier to get all the angles I need. There is already an idea in my head of how I am going to do it in sketchup. But I need the angles like on the picture that dave posted.

Btw Dave, your thunderbird 2 and 1 look very neat!

murphyaa
08-08-2012, 03:51 AM
Actually, Dave's looks cool enough, I might try modelling it. Gonna be a while though.