PDA

View Full Version : IPMS Region 6 competition

Texman
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
This past weekend, the IPMS Region 6 competition/convention was held in Louisiana.
I decided to send a couple of models down and see how they would do in the next higher levels
of competition. I was unable to attend, however I had them entered by proxy.

Sending the Czech Mig-21 and the MT-LB, I entered them in the misc category,
as traditionally, if there is no paper category, they are usually
grouped into the misc category. I'm not sure of the reasoning, but the
contest organizers could not grasp that they were paper models, not plastic,
and re-categorized them into categories with their plastic counterparts.

In the end, this proved detrimental to the MT-LB. However....

the Mig-21 garnered a 1st Place award, in a regional competition, in an all plastic
1/72 and smaller category! The Region 6 area consists of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

So, I encourage everyone to get out, find a local club, join them, and start showing.
Here is one instance of many here, that paper can beat plastic, on their home turf!

Oh, and you'll notice, the trophy is 1/144 scale as well ;)

modelperry
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
:)CON-GRAT-U-LATIONS!!!!:)

Greg

airdave
09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
hahahahahahahaahaha
oh sorry...did I laugh out loud?

so, what you are telling us is...lie?
don't tell them its made of paper until after you win first place?

ROFL
silly plastic people!

as always Ray, well deserved.

Texman
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
No Dave, they were told they were paper. And still moved them.

3Turner
09-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Congrats Ray! And funny on the judge's confusion.

GunnerGreg
09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Congrats!!!

Retired_for_now
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Paper, plastic - makes no difference, it's a great model and deservedly recognized!
Yogi

Don Boose
09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Congratulations, Flyboy!

mbauer
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Awesome!

The judges just said, "that can't be paper" in the best way ever!!!!

Fantastic work!

Mike

Vermin_King
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Congratulations. That is really sweet. What type of reactions did you get from the other entrants?

Texman
09-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Thanks ya'll.

@VK - I don't know what others were saying, as I was not there. I entered by
proxy (my name and work, with someone else entering the models for me). Although,
it is usually quite a conversation, with most non-believers having to actually hold them
for proof!

DrLaser
09-22-2012, 08:23 PM
WOW !

Great job Ray. Incredible that a paper model beat plastic. Well, you had an advantage - you built the paper model!

Vermin_King
09-22-2012, 08:36 PM
WOW !

Great job Ray. Incredible that a paper model beat plastic. Well, you had an advantage - you built the paper model!

I went to a gaming expo with a member of another forum last weekend. He likes using card. Others in his group don't like it, but as we went through the games tables and vendor tables, I was pointing out items that I know are available in card. Look it up on the smartphone and see that the textures were generally superior to the plastic, resin and metal items at the expo. By the time we left, Damon was more sold on paper than ever, and the other four guys were definitely coming around.

There are things you can do with paper that you can't do well at small scales in other media. Of course I'm preaching to the choir.

DrLaser
09-23-2012, 03:38 PM
There are things you can do with paper that you can't do well at small scales in other media.

You have it right there Vermin_King! That is the HUGE advantage paper has over plastic - and the fact you don't have to be an artist to make a great looking model. I know the CZ MiG gets a lot of respect for the incredible small size (How does Texman do it?) combined with that wild camo scheme. I think that model would be incredibly difficult (maybe nearly impossibly difficult) to do with paint on plastic. And if you look close, that model has panel lines, rivets, and weathering - all designed in. How can you do that at 1/144 scale with paint? Ya, I'll take paper over plastic any day and every day of the week.

milenio3
10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
My deepest congratulations, Ray!!

Well deserved!

What about Austin? Are you coming this upcoming Saturday? I hope you do!!

I'm taking my Bf-109 T-2 (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/19827-messerschmitt-bf-109-t-2-halinski-1-33-a.html), and some other things to the display table.

ultra
10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
congratz

ultra stone

rockpaperscissor
10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Well deserved! Congrats

contourcreative
10-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Interesting thread. From a designers POV we embarked a long time ago on the construction of aircraft in 1/144 scale, the 1/72 and finally 1/48. For precisely the reasons stated , the advantage of small scales, we started with 1/144. Only when we had created a lot of designs and airport buildings did we face abandoning them completely for a larger scale..So easy to scale down from a modelers perspective but small scale not where you should design..