PDA

View Full Version : What's With The Downloads?

waldopepperwi
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I came to the site to download the Ford Tri Motor because the author who did the recolor on it posted here on Paper Modelers. I tried downloading it last night and after several futile attempts, I was told that I had exceeded my download limit. That being the case, I gave up. I tried again today to download that same model and all that I get is the same message about exceeding my download limit. Now I am no moderator or anything like that but that seems a bit messed up to me. How can I exceed my limit when A) I didn't even get to download the model and B) I haven't downloaded anything today and still am getting the same bogus message I got yesterday?
I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but it is frustrating and a real pain. If someone who has the power to do so could look into this for me, I would appreciate it because I would really like to build that Ford Tri Motor aircraft.

Vermin_King
09-18-2012, 10:32 PM
I just downloaded it fine ... what OS and browser are you using?

ct ertz
09-18-2012, 10:45 PM
You need to post a hello here first. After a few posts to participate, the downloads will work fine for you. Check out the cool Civil War ironclads too!
CT

KCStephens
09-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Wow!!!!!
Not even a Please or a Thank You.
Very sad....

murphyaa
09-19-2012, 07:42 AM
That's the way society is heading nowadays.

hawkman67
09-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Exactly,
That is because their momma did not raise them right..Manners to some are just not understood.
Jeff

silveroxide
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
With this being the first post, is this supposed to be some sort of introduction? it was lengthy enough to display a displeasure. Anyways, Welcome aboard and let us start over again and give us some insight as to what you want to build.

Bionic Modeler
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Let's not forget Waldo started in a state of frustration. We have all been there. It is easy to foget your manners when you are upset. He was focused and probably OCD like the rest of us. Let's give him a break. Welcome Waldo, if nothing else you know what is expected now.

hawkman67
09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Indeed,
Welcome Waldo, may you have a good time here once you get going..
Jeff

BILL AMOS
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I was once a rookie in several different fields...its easy to get frustrated when you dont understand the rules..welcome waldo and let us try again this is a great place to be..most will help with anything you need..we keep the old grouches around for balance....bill amos

Texman
09-19-2012, 12:54 PM
..we keep the old grouches around for balance....bill amos

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Zakopious
09-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I was once a rookie in several different fields...its easy to get frustrated when you dont understand the rules..welcome waldo and let us try again this is a great place to be..most will help with anything you need..we keep the old grouches around for balance....bill amos

Glad to know that you other old grouches will keep me around for balance.

rjm
09-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Why would the site tell him he's exceeded his download limit if he hasn't?
Why doesn't it recognize that he hasn't qualified to download yet and tell
him where to go to get the rules?
I can see how this message would frustrate him.

Vermin_King
09-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Happened to me the first time I tried to download something, too. If you have a download that doesn't go through, it still counts as a download, and there is a timeframe that has to elapse before you can try again. I asked about his OS and browser, because my first didn't go because of a setting on my computer ...

mldixon
09-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the site, hope you don't give up. Just need to hang in and post. Great place to share your passion, most all people here are super friendly. Will be looking for you.

waldopepperwi
09-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I apologize if I sounded rude, didn't mean to come across like that, just wanted to find out if something was amiss or what with the downloads section. As to those who eluded to my "not having been raised properly" or not including a thank you, now THAT was rude. I realize that maybe you have all the time in the world to sit back and elucidate on what passes for civility in your little worlds, that is a luxury I do not have. I just got back after a very long deployment and perhaps my demeanor is a bit gruff or at least come across that way but I can assure you that your observations are not correct. To those who realize that I am new here and offered assistance through an explanation, thank you for your patience and advice, it is appreciated. I realize that every site I have ever been to has its zealots, it's fervent followers and it's "policeman" who feel it their duty to chastise others. Before jumping down someone's throat and casting dispersion on them, maybe you ought to cut them some slack and realize that some people don't spend every waking moment glued to forums posting till their fingers are numb and just hit and miss with when they visit because they don't have time to sit on forums all day or wait for some poor noob to come along that they can verbally whip. Nuff said.

waldopepperwi
09-20-2012, 06:23 AM
An introduction? Okay, here goes. I am a father of three girls and paper model when I have time which as of late is not very often I'm afraid. As of late, I was a member of the United States Marine Corps but now have returned to civilian life and found it ain't all it's cracked up to be. I have probably hundreds of paper models in a collection that I have accumulated over the course of several years but have built very few of. I have a degree in commercial art so I am slowly undertaking a personal project to try my hand at designing a series of building models from historic buildings along the old route 66 but progress is slow if at all. Eventually, I hope to finish it and then my next target is a series of old movie palaces and classic movie theaters from the 1930's up to the 1950's. That's about it for me, not much to tell other than that. That is what brought me here in the first place, paper modeling.

SCEtoAUX
09-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the forum. The project to design the various buildings sounds good. There are some very ornate old theaters around the country. It seems like there should be some unique buildings along the old Route 66 too.

A few years ago someone set out to design paper models of the county courthouses in Texas but that seems to have been lost. Lots of nice looking courthouses in that state. :)

waldopepperwi
09-20-2012, 07:26 AM
I have seen some absolutely wonderful old courthouses in my travels, dating back to before the War Between the States, especially down south. You can't beat that antebellum architecture when it comes to being a history buff! There's a lot of information out there, more than I thought, about the classic buildings along Route 66. Of course a lot of them have changed now, new owners and businesses and what not, but there are a lot of photos and information about what they used to be and even photos that I can use to model from. I am still a noob at designing but I may post one out here once I get them finished and see what the feedback is.
I did a model a long time back now of the old Egyptian Theater out in California. It was nice, had a false entry that gave the impression of coming into the main hall of the theater just like the original. Had the ornate outside with the Egyptian hieroglyphs and the whole nine yards. Gave it to a friend of mine and I haven't seen the model since. Might be able to do it again but it was a lot of work. Used realistic photos and textures to produce the surfaces and it looked pretty good. Thanks for the come back on the ideas, appreciate it. Have a great day!

Vermin_King
09-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Were you ever able to download the model from the download section?

Bionic Modeler
09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Looking forward to seeing your work. I am an old veteran myself. I go back to that war most people want to forget, Vietnam. When I returned to civilian life we weren't welcomed like Vets are today. No one thanked us for our service they just said "Oh" when you told them you just got out of the service. We couldn't wait to get into our civilian clothes so we could blend in. I am glad people today appreciate our Vets. I even get a 10% disoucnt at Home Depot now and they say thank you. Better 45 years late then never I guess. Welcome aboard.

ultra
09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
welcome aboard

i c that u are a fan of classic architecture i see a lot of them in my neighborhood from villas to mansions to palaces

if by any chance u ever come by here to sunny egypt pm me i'll give u a quick tour

hope u have a great time in here

ultra stone

whulsey
09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Another former graphic designer myself, now driving a city transit bus of all things. The Route 66 buildings sounds neat, lots of interest there. Dean Milano when he was working for Revell managed to get a simple card model of the Coral Motel in the 60 Corvette kit years ago.

legal01
09-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Does anyone know what is the problem in getting approvals for uploads. I loaded two models in the doanload section olast week and they are still unapproved? Help anyone

ARMORMAN
09-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Gotta let one of us mods know, there is no automatic email for this. Your stuff's been approved.

larry2
09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Waldo, I will also be looking forward to your Route 66 designs. I was a Navy Corpsman stationed with the Marines back in the day and know how transition back to civilan life can be unsettleing and frustrating. Take your time and go easy, life will be smoother. Welcome back to the world.

Bionic Modeler
09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Ditto, been there done that. When I got our in 69 (were you even born then?) they had an experimental program that they were trying. I was allowed to work for a company with Govt. contracts for 6 mos. before i go out. Then if they liked you they would hire you. I got the job working on the Radar system for the F-111. I think it was a good program and wondered if they have anything at all like that today?

Paper_boy
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the clarification - keep up the good work everyone.

VinceM
03-25-2013, 08:50 PM
To Waldo, Bionic, Larry, and all the others who have worn the uniform of your country, THANK YOU for your service. My Dad was a career soldier, and many in my family wore the uniform. I failed my enlistment physical (bad eyes) but I feel I served my country by working in an ammunition factory testing firing train components during the Desert Storm/Enduring Freedom years. Not the sacrifice you men endured, but We did our very best because we knew your lives in the field depended on it. Who knows Waldo, given the service life of US munitions, you may have used some of the systems I worked on!

spaceagent-9
03-25-2013, 09:47 PM
take a long look in the galleries and the build articles and such while you are waiting, there are some great one of a kind treasures there, and welcome and sorry you had trouble on your first try downloading.

Tex
04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Well ... this is my first post on here, so: HOWDY, ALL Y'ALL! This really is a mighty fine site, and I'm not only talking about the free downloads.
In a way, most of us have the same problem: Here we are, with a great hobby, but ... it MUST NOT COST ANYTHING! Thus, what most folks would do is look for free downloads, same as I did ...
I've had the same problem once, and I understand Waldo. I hope he's been able to get that model alright!
@Waldo: GOOD LUCK and lots of fun with any model you may find! ;-)
- Tex

Retired_for_now
04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Free models - plus glue, knife, new blades, steel ruler, pencils/pens for edges, mandrels (round things) for rolling, new printer ink cartridge ...

$5-15 bucks to ECardmodels or Fiddlers Green vastly widens your horizon at the cost of a few weeks of texting/tweeting.

Yogi (can squeeze a nickel until it squeals ...)

DeadlyTedly
04-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the best paper model site around, Mr. Waldopepperwi! You tried one of the largest model downloads available from this treasure trove. It might have simply timed out, but I don't know what bandwidth capability you have. It is definitely worth having, so I'd try again, or try a smaller model download, like Leif's glider, or something. Good luck!