PDA

View Full Version : Vintage: Steam Hammer, Marteau-pilon

Diderick A. den Bakker
10-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Industrial archeology: not yet a science, but definitely a field of interest in Europe with an increasing number of 'students'. Even today, many remains of factories and machinery dating back to the earliest beginnings of the Industrial Revolution can still be found, especially in England - which was of course the cradle of industrialisation. I'm sure a lot can also be found (and seen) in the northern states of the USA as well?

Google, Wikipedia and Google pictures are a phantastic source of information for those who can't go on long expeditions...

And, again, Epinal. An Epinal collector sent me a high resulution (very important, the 'high' bit!) scan of the Marteau-pilon (Grandes Constructions nr 533). I scaled it down to A4 (American letter) size, and had a pleasurable few hours figuring it out an building it.

A bit of information first. During the 19th century Industrial Revolution it was soon realised that cast iron was easier to make, but that wrought (or forged) iron was far stronger. This summer, while on holiday in the south of England, I saw the first way to replace muscle power by something more permanent: waterwheel-driven hammers. The next step of course, after the invention of the steam engine, was the steam driven hammer, or drop forge. This method was invented in Manchester, in 1837, and soon introduced in all emerging industrial countries. The famous French steel works Le Creusot installed its first one in 1841.

So this model, published by Epinal ca. 1900 was hardly the height of modern invention - but certainly still a very interesting educational toy.

That was what it was meant to be: a toy. Many moving Epinal models were run by pouring fine sand into them, which then put a mechanism in motion. In this model, the dome at the top of the cylinder is open at the back. The sand is led via a funnel to the wheel at the back of the construction; as it revolves, this lifts the hammer by means of the 'cam' on the vertical shaft (help: is this the right technical word??)

I won't try the sand - but gently turning the wheel proved it works. And forgive me for the large glass bead on the pin - it as easier to handle than a normal pin...

Of course I am putting the picture to my Flickr collection -and please, do send me your own pictures of favourite builds, so I can add them. too. I have just reached the 22.000 visitors mark today.

Art Deco
10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
A very interesting and handsome vintage model, I love that it was cleverly designed to work! Thanks for sharing the background information and photos! :)

Diderick A. den Bakker
10-07-2012, 01:31 PM
The background makes so many models extra interesting, with Google available to everybody!

D-H
10-07-2012, 01:48 PM
As one of those industrial archaeologists I would have to say excellent!

Excellent model, excellent build and excellent historical summary.

D

Retired_for_now
10-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Outstanding research, build and post! Interesting info - and not too dissimilar from really old falling water (as opposed to sand) powered hammers. I think you could still find waterpowered drop hammers in the ore crushing mills of the California gold rush (1850s and later). Spent a few days wandering the ruins of same a few decades ago in the hills southeast of Sacramento.
Yogi

Diderick A. den Bakker
03-14-2014, 04:49 PM
See my new thread for some vintage original Epinal prints: Imagerie d'Epinal