PDA

View Full Version : Hamburger Hafen Diorama / HMV / 1:250

Hi-Torque
10-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Hello Friends,

See the original build thread for this diorama at Hamburger Hafen Diorama /HMV/1:250 [FERTIG] - Der Hafen - Kartonbau.de - Alles rund ums Kartonmodell (http://www.kartonbau.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=24632)

Having shown this model at the 23rd Annual International Paper Model Meeting in Bremerhaven Germany and at a another show in Liepzig Germany this year, the response has been overwhelming so I thought I would share it with you.

I have long been fascinated with dioramas and little "scenes" that tell a story. The Hamburger Hafen Diorama from HMV I find particularly interesting as it captures perfectly a snapshot of a time long gone by. True, today shipping still continues on a vast scale via container and to a lesser degree bulk raw materials. However to me, there is a certain "romance" in this era that is absent today.

In those years, a ship might spend a week or more in transit to and from exotic ports of call returning with fruits, rubber, teak and all manner of goods that today are simply picked up on a quick trip to Rewe or Globus. Another point that interests me about this era is the huge differences in the workforce. Today's automation and computerization have reduced the number of jobs by the hundreds and thousands. For example, I work as a Flight Engineer on 747 freighters. A crew of 5 to operate the aircraft and a crew of perhaps 10 porters on the ground to uplift and offload the freight...and we can make a South America to Europe trip in 9 hours transporting nearly the same tonnage as the Schwann.

I have read with great interest the construction reports of members Wolfgang Lemm, Volkmar Adler, Lars W., and others. I wish to take a moment here and thank them and the other members for their help and assistance. In all my years of communicating on the internet (going all the way back to the BBS days!) the folks at Kartonbau.de are by far the friendliest and most helpful. I will not bore you with details they have covered in loving and exacting detail. But I will show features that I am going to add or complete in a manner that differs from the original kit instructions.

In any case, thank you for reading this far, and now on to the construction: From the research I've done, Mr. Peter Brandt ( Piet), did an amazing job of capturing the smallest details in this kit. I will attach some historical pictures I've found (which apologies, to the German members, I'm sure you are all aware of them) as we go along to illustrate how faithfully the scene is depicted and to show further details I wish to add.

One of the things that struck me when I first discovered this model was possibility of detailing the interior and exterior of the warehouse.

I plan on starting with the warehouse and extending it approximately 12cm to the right. This will give me a larger interior space to work with and coincidentally allow room for a third crane.

In the attached photos, I wish to point out the beam that supports the upper track of the cranes. I will build a similar version replacing the simpler box type construction included with the original kit.

Furthermore, as I wish to show the interior of the warehouse, please note the beam and timber construction. I will attempt to reproduce this as best as possible.

Hi-Torque
10-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Continuing:

Hi-Torque
10-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Continuing:

Hi-Torque
10-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Adding the roof:

Hi-Torque
10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Beginning construction of the Semi-Portal Cranes:

Hi-Torque
10-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Adding details and construction of the smaller models:

Hi-Torque
10-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Continuing with the smaller models. Many of these are scratch built.

jagolden01
10-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Stunning work.

Vermin_King
10-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Excellent work at such a tiny scale. Thanks

enigma
10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
you really have it going on...

that is some great architectural work.

:eek:

GMintz
10-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Very nice work!! Thanks for showing it in this forum.

Greg

Joe711
10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Highly beautiful work!

We monitor!
Regards, Joe

Phil
10-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Mind-blowing and beautiful. Might have brought me out of retirement! :)

Hi-Torque
10-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Hello Friends,

Thank you for your kind words! Completing the goods wagons.

@Phil: Well, I've been building paper models for over 15 years now. I hope its 15 more before I retire :) This diorama is fun to build and as you can see allows for a lot of detailing and scratch building. With so many small models (train cars, barges, etc.) it never gets boring.

Kind Regards,

Cris

Hi-Torque
10-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Hi Friends,

The locomotive:

Hi-Torque
10-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi Friends,

The small lighters and barges:

Hi-Torque
10-13-2012, 09:49 AM
The steamer SCHWAN:

Hi-Torque
10-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Forward Cargo Derrick and Fore Deck equipment:

Hi-Torque
10-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Mid Ships and Aft Deck Furnishings:

peter taft
10-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Absolutley stunning in all ways possible.

Kevin WS
10-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Stunning model and work!

I notice also lots of additional detail and scratch built items. The Fokker is especially nice!

Do the lamps in and on the warehouse light?

Hi-Torque
10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi Friends,

Continuing with the SCHWAN:

@Kevin: Thank you for the kind words! No, the lights do not illuminate. I debated on fiber optics as thats about the only thing that works for individual lamps at this scale but elected to just press on. Considering how much work I did to the interior of the warehouse, I wish I had! The Fokker W-34 was a lot of fun and is completely from scratch.

Kind Regards,

Cris

Hi-Torque
10-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Masts and Rigging:

Vermin_King
10-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Unbelievable. Your attention to detail is amazing

romanmodels
10-14-2012, 02:31 PM
nice build there

Hi-Torque
10-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Hi Friends,

Thank you for your kind words! The HMV line of models is exceptional and allow for great details. As I am replicating the original thread at Kartonbau.de, I am leaving all of the reference pictures till the end. I mention this because one of the joys of our hobby for me is research and a wealth of information on this era is available.

Finishing up the SCHWAN with the last cargo handling cranes.

Regards,

Cris

Hi-Torque
10-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Hello Friends,

The harbor has been dredged and the SCHWAN and her lighters are alongside the quay.

Best regards,

Cris

Hi-Torque
10-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Hello Friends,

Putting all of the pieces together. The harbor is nearing completion.

Best regards,

Cris

Hi-Torque
10-17-2012, 04:50 AM
Hello Friends,

With the addition of the seagulls and a few minor details, the Hamburger Hafen is complete.

I used two copies of the model along with two lasercut sets (mainly for the lighters and rail wagons), 6 feet of 3/32" square basswood, about 35 blades, and about 30 1:220 hand painted Preiser miniature figures to make the model shown.

I estimate about 350 hours (oh yes I am slow!) for construction of the warehouse and goods, 1 horse drawn wagon, 11 rail cars, 1 locomotive, 5 lighters, 1 crew boat, 1 mail boat, 1 steamer, 3 semi-portal cranes, 2 cars, 2 trucks, and an airplane.

A thoroughly enjoyable model full to overflowing with unbelievable accuracy and details.

Thank you for reading along.

Kind Regards,

Cris

Hi-Torque
10-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Hi Friends,

One last addendum: In my original thread Hamburger Hafen Diorama /HMV/1:250 [FERTIG] - Der Hafen - Kartonbau.de - Alles rund ums Kartonmodell (http://www.kartonbau.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=24632&pageNo=1) I included many links and pictures to reference material.

Here are a few of the images I used during the construction of the diorama.

Kind Regards,

Cris

Hi-Torque
10-17-2012, 05:01 AM
And a few more:

GMintz
10-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi Cris,

An amazing accomplishment!!!

Greg

Art Deco
10-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Extraordinary diorama! Masterful work! Bravo!

Hi-Torque
11-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Hello Friends,

Thanks for the praise! So, bragging a little bit like a proud parent here, but this Harbor Diorama I finished up earlier this year is featured on the Advertising Poster for next years 25th Anniversary Karton-Modellbau-Treffen (Card Modeling Meeting) in Bremerhaven, along with several other beautiful models.

Kind Regards,

Cris

Art Deco
11-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey, that's great! Maybe next you'll be hearing from the Hamburg Port Museum! :)

Hi-Torque
06-06-2013, 04:49 AM
Hello Friends,

Sorry to bring up a rather old topic. Recently we visited the Hafenmuseum in Hamburg. Thanks Art Deco ;) For me this was practically a spiritual event after spending 18 months on this diorama and poring over old photographs trying to capture details.

These pictures offer an invaluable resource for anyone building the HMV Hamburger Hafen, Ship winch details, Portal Cranes (of all eras including container handling equipment), Waterfront Warehouses, and European Train Wagons.

Hafenmuseum, Hamburg Germany 2013 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/miaskelley/sets/72157633487943315/)

Best Regards,

Cris

card
06-12-2013, 04:15 AM
thanks for that link cris. I also have this kit in my never to build pile (lol) and the photos look just like the wagons, cranes and warehouses in my kit. Very nice, thankyou.

modelakias
08-13-2013, 01:06 AM
to say .... wonderful .. DO 20 years STATIC modeling such thing .. I have not seen a paper ...