PDA

View Full Version : Ov10a bronco/ml card model 1:32

Yu Gyokubun
12-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi all,
I am not new to this forum but for long time I have not posted much because of my poor English command.
I was afraid of offending people especially by using impolite and informal expressions not knowlingly but I realized it will take aeons until I become a person who can write good English so I decided to post a construction report calling up my courage.
What I opted for as first one is OV10A Bronco published by ML Card Model. Three years ago I built gloss painted version of this airplane. This time "black pony" that I have waited for long time.
In building previous one I printed it on glossy paper and struggled with chipping off cut edges.
This black pony, since I don't need to use glossy paper, I hope it turns out to be better one than previous one.

Today printed all instructions and parts on ordinally paper and later I am going to print only landing gear parts on glossy paper.

willygoat
12-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks for posting Yug! I love this plane and I'm looking forward to your build a lot :D

Texman
12-06-2008, 11:52 PM
This should be good ;)

Ray

shrike
12-07-2008, 12:03 AM
One of my favorite airplanes. There is a company at a local airport that rebuilds these to spot forest fires.

Your command of English is much better than my Nihon-go will ever be. We will not be offended. English is by it's nature an informal (and often impolite) language

I look forward to reading about your build.

Gharbad
12-07-2008, 12:10 AM
You won't get better at English if you don't use it ;) Glad you're posting again.
I remember your models, you make amazing stuff!

redhorse
12-07-2008, 12:15 AM
This will be a good build. I've seen your stuff before, and you're an incredible modeler. I'm looking forward to this one!

GreMir
12-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Yu,
It will be a pleasure to watch you build one of your masterpieces.
Don't worry about your English, I don't think anybody will have a problem understanding you and after all, picture is worth a thousand words.
BTW we just can never get enough of them :D

eatcrow2
12-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Hello Yu...

Will be a pleasure following another one of your builds..

dansls1
12-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Good to see you posting a build here - I make it a point to follow your builds on Kartonbau whenever I see them. Always very clean and enjoyable reads both ;)

John Bowden
12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
YuG......... do worry about your English........... Your work speaks more than words!

Keep on posting!!

john

Moshe
12-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Yu, nevermind the English :D, go ahead with the build. I still need pictures of this kit for my gallery. And don't forget the rocket pods, please.

Moshe

B.T.W., these rocket pods are also used by jets, but with a front and rear covers (the front one is made of a very soft material), to reduce the drag

Yu Gyokubun
12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Thank you all for kind and encouraging words:) Thank you, Moshe for reference picture. Yes, I will not forget rocket pods because I am a weapon lover:D But, it doesn’t always mean I love real weapon. I just like to put weaponry on the pylon of my aircraft models to improve appearance.

Before starting build, I surfed on the internet and found out some of walkaround picture site. One of the sites has pictures of the spotter that Shrike mentioned.
These pictures will be of help to me when I modify joysticks, pedals and etc.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk117_OV-10/walk117.htm (http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk117_OV-10/walk117.htm)

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/ov-10d_155494/ (http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/ov-10d_155494/)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3174058/tm.htm (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3174058/tm.htm)

Following kit’s instruction assembled main part of fuselage. One point I didn’t follow the instruction is to cut away gluing tabs for wheel well because I thought folded gluing tab might change the depth of wheel well a bit and folded line might not look neat (to tell the truth it is attributable to my clumsiness:().

birder
12-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Yu, looking forward to your build, we only look at pictures around here, you know that:)

Don Boose
12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Beautiful work, Yu! Quite a change from your tiny and fabulous Fuso!

Don

Yu Gyokubun
12-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Thaks Glen and Don, I'll try hard to build this airplane:cool:

Before proceeding to cockpit build, assembled fuselage nose section because seam on skin, especially clearly visible nose section, in some cases bugs me so I could not wait to see what it looks like.

Next step is landing light. Punched out OHP film for landing light lens and glued kitchen foil on the provided part in the kit that is to be glued inside of the lens.

Glued lead weight on the front gear housing. I didn’t weigh the weight. If it isn’t enough, I will add weight later cutting part of wheel housing.

willygoat
12-11-2008, 09:36 AM
The landing light idea is genius!

Yu Gyokubun
12-13-2008, 05:51 AM
Thank you willygoat, but it isn't genius:o

Picture 1: Peel away the top layer of thin paper from the rest to make its cut edge less standing out
Picture 2: Glued thin paper to the side of the plate which is to be glued behind the pilot seats
Picture 3: Because lumpy seams bugs me I've sanded down around seams
Picture 4: Peeled away the top layer of thin paper and glued it over sanded skin of fuselage
Picture 5: Front pilot seat is ready for assembly

Yu Gyokubun
12-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Pictures 6 and 7: After placed front pilot seat in the position. Seeing fuselage on the picture, appearance isn't improved despite of the effort I have made....

scon10
12-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Yu, I think the appearance is not bad at all!
I saw this technique of sanding away carefully away protruding seams, and I found, that it makes the curvature of the segments much smoother. The disadvantage is of course that the area needs recolouring.
Another thing I also do is bevel the edges of two adjoining segments with a round object. This slightly shrinks the edge of the part. By bevelling the opposite edge of the neigbouring segment in the same way, leading to the same amount of shrink, I found that the sharp corner between two segments is decreased. The shrink leads to tiny multiple "folds" or waves which then need to be sanded down, and then recoloured. The result is a relatively smooth shape. In the thread of the Super constellation you can see pictures of the result, especially in the nose of the KLM Super Constellation.
I look forward to more pictures of your build!
Regards.

willygoat
12-13-2008, 01:29 PM
That looks great YuG! I think your technique did smooth out the edges a bit. It looks like it should.

Don Boose
12-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I think the appearance is excellent!

Don

Lex
12-14-2008, 06:24 PM
I payed a visit to your yahoo album recently, and liked your aircraft a lot. That smoothing technique is certainly something to go for.

P: About offending people with English... It might be a lot easier to offend others in Japanese, as I found out to my cost in a recent lesson......... Maybe that was what you were worring about ;)

Hans Christian
12-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Wow!!! Its not everyday I get to see a "family member" being assembled!!!

Keep it up sir Yu!!! This is exquisite work here folks!!!

Yu Gyokubun
12-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments

Scorn10, I also once sanded protruding seams away on wheel pants and recoloured it with water paint as is shown in attached picture. That one has camo paint so it wasn’t difficult to blend the color but depend on the coloring it might be difficult.

About bevel the edges with round object, does it mean as shown in attached sketch?

Lex, I’m glad you liked my airplanes. Perhaps you experienced greeking at my Japanese blog.

Taking an example as to English, one day I received an e-mail from English native speaker. The e-mail started “I’m sorry to bother you sending e-mail” and in reply I wrote “I don’t bother your e-mail” Luckily, we know each other well so he was kind enough to give me an advice that in that case I should write “Your e-mail doesn’t bother me” adding explanation that there is a big difference between two expressions. If a person who doesn’t know me well receives such a reply, he would be upset. That is one example what I worry about….

Hans, thank you for dropping a note visiting here all the way from near “BAJANGAS”. Oh no it must be “BADIANGAS” if my memory is correct.
How are your schedules at school lately? I hope you are studying hard :Dand after graduate build your BRONCO applying the ace in the hole that you have up your sleeve

As I am on the road now, I miss paper modeling and am killing time by writing this in a hotel room….

GreMir
12-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Yu,
Here is a method I picked up on one of the Polish forums. Metal bal works the best, but any round, smooth object will do. This needs to be done on smooth, slightly "giving" surface - I use mouse pad. After rolling the part to a correct shape, I use this to give the ring a little roundness. This gives best results on a narrow rings as used to create engine cowls or nose sections of the aircraft.
As soon as I'm done with this segment in my Tempest, I will try to get a close up to show the effect. Below is in-progress shot ;)

GreMir
12-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Here it goes...
of course the more segments you can treat this way the better, but even with just two as is the case here, you can get some roundness into the parts.

Hans Christian
12-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Hans, thank you for dropping a note visiting here all the way from near “BAJANGAS”. Oh no it must be “BADIANGAS” if my memory is correct.
How are your schedules at school lately? I hope you are studying hard :Dand after graduate build your BRONCO applying the ace in the hole that you have up your sleeve

Hi there sir!!!

The place is called dadiangas, an airfield on one of the southernmost places of the Mindanao Island in our country, the place where my father's OV-10A finally ended its flying days...

I'm not residing there, since I live in the northern province of Cavite, which is hundreds of miles from that particular airfield...

for my studies, I just graduated from college last March (finally... :D), but I plan to go to flight school once the application opening starts, if that fails, I may go to medical school... :D

As for my "ace in the hole" (:cool:), I'm nearly finished with my home-made improvements for this kit, and I hope it will fit the model

Keep it up sir!!! Really nice to see your work again!!! :D

Yu Gyokubun
12-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Mike, thank you for showing your method. Mouse pad!!! I didn't come up with that. Mouse pad is resilient so I can imagine it goes well with round object to shape skins round. And your Tempest is getting meaner by the minutes!!!

Hans, keep your chin up!!! I am looking forward to seeing your BRONCO build in the near future:)

Hans Christian
12-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks sir! Keep your progress up!!!

GreMir
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Yu,
I'm glad to be of help.

scon10
12-23-2008, 06:43 AM
I am bevelling a little wider, covering about 2 or 3 mm's area's alongside the seams, see pictures.
Your wheel pants look absolutely fantastic. I now see, that I am probably not sanding away enough of the resulting undulations after bevelling, I'll try that on my next model.
The model is a reprint of the 1956 Emsco 1:66 2/3 scale Convair CV 340 in KLM colours. Because of the printed parts, I am probably too hesitant to sand away too much of the printed area. But mixing carefully the right colours in acylic paint should enable me to repaint the bare area's so that the curvature from one part to the other show the smooth lines in the correct colours.
If you look at the engines, I sanded the undulations deeper, and there the curvature becaomes almost as smooth as the real thing.
Thanks for the good tip!

Yu Gyokubun
12-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Scon10 for your tips and beautiful pictures.
Seeing your pictures I remember I removed folds from my model with the method that I came up with during the Apache build. In this case I didn’t bevel the edges.

Please take a look at attached sketch
1.status having folds or wave
2.cut (snick) around center of the fold in certain length
3.peel off top layer of paper as thin as opposite side can be seen through
4.cut away hatched area in order to compensate the fold or wave
5.glue cut edges of thick layers of papers leaving peeled off layer unglued
6.glue one side of peeled off thin layer onto the thick layers of paper
7.glue other side of peeled off thin layer over the already glued thin layer

Somewhere inside encircled area in second picture I applied this method but as you will see from the picture we cannot detect where it is. Even gazing at the model it is hard to detect it if you do not know the modeler applied this technique.
By this method you can avoid sanding and recoloring the printed surface.

Hope you can understand my clumsy English explanation

redhorse
12-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Very interesting technique Yu, I shall have to try it. Thanks!

birder
12-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Yu, I enjoy seeing your methods. Most aircraft models would not be improved by painting as they are already painted, and hard to match perfectly. Can be done as we have seen, but prefer your methods and also smoothing formers to make them even as possible before skinning, especially on the wings, and then I hardly use any glue on the wing skins, so the surface is smoother.:)

Hans Christian
12-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Hey there sir Yu!!! I have something here!!!

Not much related to modeling, but a good inspiration :-D

Here's 3 videos for you sir, featuring our local OV-10s in action

here's a video from one of our local news channel (don't mind our local language) of 2 OV-10s dropping Mk. 81 LDGP bombs on rebel positions in Mindanao (you may notice that they use Vietnam war style tactics here)

GMANews.TV - North Cotabato clashes still raging - Video - Official Website of GMA News and Public Affairs - Latest Philippine News - BETA (http://www.gmanews.tv/largevideo/related/26972/North-Cotabato-clashes-still-raging)

and here's two good quality (and long) videos from inside the observer's cockpit, shot by an aquaintance of mine and local war correspondent/reporter, Ed Lingao, who was given a ride during the aircraft's test strafing run

YouTube - riding an OV-10 bronco part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azc9xpLgiHA&feature=related)
YouTube - PAF ov-10 bronco part2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzV3JBvwzgU)

enjoy sir :-D

Hans Christian
12-24-2008, 06:48 AM
P.S. on the first video, you can hear the locals cheering everytime the OV-10s attack... They really want those rebel badguys out of their communities...

scon10
12-25-2008, 08:37 AM
YuG, that is an interesting expansion of this technique, I must keep that in mind and try it out.
It looks to me, considering the physics of your addition, that bevelling the 2 mm edge and then sanding away the little waves is OK for small, or very small curvature integration (if you see what I mean). The cutting-out of a small triangle as you described, and then joining the edges and putting the covering paper layer over the joint is better suitable for larger curvature corrections. Therefore, I think both techniques could be used on the same model, depending of the scale of curvature correction one needs.

Yu Gyokubun
12-25-2008, 09:00 AM
scon10, I agree with you. The technique I showed can only be used for larger curvature as you mentioned and for small curvature your technique must be suitable.
Let's me try your method and report.

Thanks Hans for letting me know the youtube videos
Usually I am not interested in adding details to the cockpit because it is not visible after completion especially WWII single seat fighters but the videos changed my mind
As you can see in the attached pics the Bronco cockpit is quite visible because of unusual large canopy of this plane so I’ve decided to add details and gather pics of cockpit as many as possible pausing the video each time the scene I am interested showed up then printed them on the PC screen and pasted to the Microsoft paint as shown in the attached picture.

It is my about face to add detail to the cockpit but I couldn’t resist.

Don Boose
12-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Outstanding work, as always, Yu!

Hans Christian
12-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks Hans for letting me know the youtube videos
Usually I am not interested in adding details to the cockpit because it is not visible after completion especially WWII single seat fighters but the videos changed my mind
As you can see in the attached pics the Bronco cockpit is quite visible because of unusual large canopy of this plane so I’ve decided to add details and gather pics of cockpit as many as possible pausing the video each time the scene I am interested showed up then printed them on the PC screen and pasted to the Microsoft paint as shown in the attached picture.

It is my about face to add detail to the cockpit but I couldn’t resist.

Thanks sir!!! My pleasure!!! :D

the OV-10's canopy is really large, and it was intended to be because of its mission as an observer/Forward Air Control and light attack aircraft...

and a bigger canopy means the cockpit is more visible and just screams to be detailed :D

I also doing my own cockpit parts here, based on my archived photos of OV-10s (a number of them from my dad's airplane :D )... hopefully I get to finish them and test it to this card model kit...

Keep up the great work sir!!!

Yu Gyokubun
12-31-2008, 06:19 AM
boosed and Hans, thank you

Because as recently as 10 days ago our family moved to the new home, since the return from business trip I have been under the strict command of my wife for domestic labor so I was busy digging garden, covering with pebbles and so on. After she goes to bed I can afford to take the time off to build paper model. During the business trip workmanship of Bronco nose hanged over my head and finally I found paper I used, which was 125kg/m2, was too thick so I’ve decided to make it over using 90kg paper. First, chamfer the edges to have tight fit and bevel it following scon10 and Mike’s advices. As I do not have the tool with ball at the end, used chopstick end and instead of mouse pad used rubber sheet to have round shape.
Not only nose but also center of fuselage wasn’t satisfactory so I will make them over.

This time nose looks a little bit better than previous one though still I don't like my build but I must compromise otherwise I have to keep on building only nose eternally:D

GreMir
12-31-2008, 06:34 AM
YuG,
Nose section looks much better than the previous one.
What you can also try to make it even smoother, is to use the end of chopstick to round the edges of glued section from the inside.
And yes, chopstick and rubber mat works perfect :D

willygoat
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
The new nose job looks great YuG! Way to stick with it :D

scon10
12-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Well, I'm impressed with the smooth contours you achieved, very aircraft-like!
All the best for the New Year and much prosperity to all of you!

Hans Christian
01-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Still a super job Yu-san!!!

gambatte!!! :D

Yu Gyokubun
01-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Mike-san, willygoat-san, scon10-san and Hans-san,
domoarigato(thank you very much)

Hans-san, ganbarimasu. I will try hard to build this plane in order not to let you down:cool:
In building pedals I referred to Youtube video that you recommended:)

Have handles and two pedals on front seat done

GreMir
01-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Outstanding detail on those seats!

MiG-23MLD
01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Mike-san, willygoat-san, scon10-san and Hans-san,
domoarigato(thank you very much)

Hans-san, ganbarimasu. I will try hard to build this plane in order not to let you down:cool:
In building pedals I referred to Youtube video that you recommended:)

Have handles and two pedals on front seat done
Gambatte JuG san, have you ever thought about using Kaminendo?

In Japan where currently i live there are several types of Modellers`s clays among them one that is called Kaminendo, i have used it for very rounded radomes, i have made a Hokum look alike Helicopter and the nose used a clay very similar to kaminendo (paper clay) and in fact the types of Me-109 spinners i have seen here use a similar type of mould -paperclay technique.

You can use several frames to keep it symetric.

I know if it is not symetric it ruins the smoothness, but in some parts of the fuselage well applied saves you a lot of work and once you have polished it and applied some glue or resin it lives a pretty good surface work.

You can see some of my earlier work with modeler`s clay, this is another type of clay but i used it on the nose radome, missile`s head seekers and radar station on top of the blade shaft

willygoat
01-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Great work YuG! I love the detailed seats.

MiG-23MLD
01-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Outstanding detail on those seats!
i totally agree with you, it is excellent the detail work of that cockpit.

JuG always amazes me he has really good detail work.

In fact as it is said in Japanese Sugoi JuG san (that`s amazing or incredible mister JuG )

Sorry for my Japanese my wife who is Japanese is my real translator i am a poor Gaijin (foreigner) who barely can read his own name in Japanese:( (my daughter at 11 speaks better japanese than me and i only surpass my son because he is 6 months old)
But i feel some paper clay can save a lot of work on the very rounded radomes, what do you think about it?
Is it cheating or does it still count as papercraftmanship?

You can see some of the clay work in the nose radome of this Hokum twin seater look alike

Yu Gyokubun
01-06-2009, 07:16 AM
i feel some paper clay can save a lot of work on the very rounded radomes, what do you think about it?
Is it cheating or does it still count as papercraftmanship?

In my opinion, we must be flexible. I mean we must accept various way of building paper model. I learned from one of Japanese fellow modeler that long time ago East European people’s pass time in winter is to build paper model. It is counterpart of our plastic model. They buy a paper model kit before winter season begins and grandfather, father and son build it discussing among three generation sometimes paint it, sorry if my opinion is offensive but I think it is beautiful and happy for them. I imagine perhaps they think in one way and another sometimes quarreling in building their kit applying various way. So, what I was intending to get across? I remember what I was intending to express. That is we can use paper clay, balsa wood, Styrofoam, metal and what ever we come up for former. For us paper modeling is new hobby so we must try to seek the way how to build it through try and error.

GreMir
01-06-2009, 07:53 AM
YuG,
We didn't have THAT long or hard winters :D

MIG23-MLD
There are people that paint their models or use any available medium to modify it. There are also people who argue that card model should be 100% card and no modifications are allowed.
I build models for fun and in my opinion all mediums are allowed, That's why I use resin or wooden wheels, one of the models has plastic engine and spinner/propeller, and in the future will probably use plastic or resin rockets/bombs.

redhorse
01-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I've used paper clay before with a pretty good effect, MIG23-MLD. And now I'm using Q-tips rather than rolling tubes. Don't see anything wrong with it!

MiG-23MLD
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I've used paper clay before with a pretty good effect, MIG23-MLD. And now I'm using Q-tips rather than rolling tubes. Don't see anything wrong with it!
I think paper clay is really useful, to make rounded surfaces, specially in aircraft like Helicopters such a a UH-1 Huey or a S-70 Seahawk, other like the Ka-50 or trainer aircraft such as the Alphajet or T-4 can use the rounded radomes made out of paper clay or other types of modeler`s clays

I personally use a lot of clay in some parts of the fuselage, the Su-34 and F-111s i have made use a lot of clay, the clay i use is not paper clay it is a glue type one synthetic, i really like it, it smooths some many surfaces and allows me a freedom saving time so i think it is good to use clay.

The main reason is better acuracy and reducion of work.

whulsey
01-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Some good points there. I'm pretty much of the opinion: its your model and are you enjoying working on it; then its right for you.

Yu Gyokubun
01-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree with you guys. We are building paper models for our enjoyment so there nothing wrong with using various kind of materials.

Internet access from my home PC still has problem. I have to login through dial up so made pictures as small volume as possible otherwise from time to time upload finishes in the middle.

Having seen Youtube video of Bronco, I've decided to replace some of parts with scratch build one and add some parts but instrument panels for this kit are so beautiful that I didn't add any parts on it.

Picture 1 shows lever that is sefl-explanatory.
Picture 2 is parts for joystick and completed one though defocused.
So far, replaced parts are pedals, levers and joysticks

Willja67
01-11-2009, 11:27 AM
That control stick is a work of art. It's a shame it won't be very visible.

GreMir
01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Yu,
It is a real pleasure to see modeler of your skill at work.

Will,
In this particular plane all detail of the cockpit should be very visible through this huge glass canopy.

Hans Christian
01-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Just Great Sir!!! Superb building!!!

dansls1
01-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Incredible! Would make a very detailed cockpit model at 3 or 4 times the size!

Yu Gyokubun
01-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Many thanks everybody for nice words.
Today assembled aft of fuselage.
Compared to the halinski or other kit publisher's paper commercially available paper is hard to round up tight curvature.

Cobra Driver
01-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Thank you willygoat, but it isn't genius:o

Picture 1: Peel away the top layer of thin paper from the rest to make its cut edge less standing out
Picture 2: Glued thin paper to the side of the plate which is to be glued behind the pilot seats
Picture 3: Because lumpy seams bugs me I've sanded down around seams
Picture 4: Peeled away the top layer of thin paper and glued it over sanded skin of fuselage
Picture 5: Front pilot seat is ready for assembly

Beautiful work going on here Yug but I have a question.

Is the seat a built piece to make it so thick or is it thicker paper/material? What I am trying to say is, how did you get the seat to appear so thick?

Thankyou

CD

redhorse
01-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Great work, and that first picture cracks me up :D

GreMir
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Yu,
In addition to excellent building skills you have great sense of humor - I love the conference over the Bronco's cockpit :D

Yu Gyokubun
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Jim, Mike, to my sorrow it's a top-level conference of my family:o

CD, actually seat isn’t so thick. It is just 1mm thick. I glued printed sheet onto 1mm thick card and painted cut edges light green which is mix of green, yellow, white and black to make the color as similar as printed one.

birder
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice birds, Yu, oh, the model looks good too:D (I'm interested to hear any tidbits on technique you may offer....your planes in the gallery have been quite an inspiration)

Yu Gyokubun
01-25-2009, 04:34 AM
Thanks Glen for your nice words about my beloved birds:)

The vertical tail of this kit is designed as one piece. In other words, radar is not separated but I do want to have separated radar like halinski kits so modified the vertical tail.
First, cut ribs which is provided in the kit short to be installed in the fin section. As to ribs for radar section I newly designed because one end where fit into the fin section has to be round shape.
Now I knew I forgot to take some of pictures that show how to build radar. I will take those pictures next time when I build radar for opposite side.

Don Boose
01-25-2009, 02:31 PM
First rate work, Yu!

Incidentally, did the aircraft mount a radar (as in radio detection and ranging device) on the tail? Or you mean "rudder" as in vertical tail surface?

Either way, you are demonstrating your usual meticulous care and outstanding craftsmanship on this model and it's a pleasure to see your work.

Don

redhorse
01-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I like the seperated rudder a lot better. You did an excellent job as always with it.

MiG-23MLD
01-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Glen for your nice words about my beloved birds:)

The vertical tail of this kit is designed as one piece. In other words, radar is not separated but I do want to have separated radar like halinski kits so modified the vertical tail.
First, cut ribs which is provided in the kit short to be installed in the fin section. As to ribs for radar section I newly designed because one end where fit into the fin section has to be round shape.
Now I knew I forgot to take some of pictures that show how to build radar. I will take those pictures next time when I build radar for opposite side.
really clean work, i like it, i guess you like the Bronco, what about the Pucara do you like it? that is a cool work, cheers buddy Omedeto gosaimasu

Hans Christian
01-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Looking better and better everytime sir!!!

Yu Gyokubun
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
rudder…. Thanks Don and Jim for correction
Why I made such a huge mistake despite my exhausting effort to build more than 27 rudders in my paper modeling life rather than trying to climb up corporate ladder…

Mig-23MLD, unfortunately I am not so interested in Pucara....

Hans, thank you!

As I mentioned earlier I have trouble rolling up the paper that I bought for this model. Especially tight curvature so when I rolled up tail section of left side fuselage I had to soak the back side of paper with water to moisten it using paint brush. But, this method has drawback, that is, there is the possibility of runoff water to the printed surface and it ruins the ink.
Later I learned that the paper is easy to be rolled up in the direction indicated by blue arrow in first and second pictures but it is hard to roll up without causing creasing in the direction indicated by red arrow.
Then what I came up was to change the printing direction of each part and to do so I copied the PDF file on the screen and pasted it on the Microsoft Paint application but it did not work because the size changes. Finally, what I did was very primitive way. Cut the paper as shown in the picture and put it into printer tray changing the direction.
Now it made my life easier and I have the other side tail fin and rudder done tonight:)

Don Boose
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks for continuing to provide such detailed information and photos of this outstanding build, Yu.

Never worry about typos. They always manage to creep in. I keep finding them in everything that I write, in spite of my best efforts at proofreading.

I would never have mentioned the radar/rudder thing except that some aircraft do have electronic countermeasures and other radar-type devices built into the vertical tail surfaces (EA-6Bs and EF-111s, to mention two such) and, although I thought it unlikely that the OV-10 would have been equipped in that way, I couldn't rule it out, and so asked for clarification.

Back to the build: you have provided a lot of really useful techniques in this build thread, and it has been very rewarding to watch you put this pretty airplane together.

Don

Hans Christian
02-01-2009, 05:15 AM
I agree, those are some pretty nifty tricks that should be learned...

amazing ;)

Yu Gyokubun
02-08-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks Don and Hans.
Today I have fore half of right and left sides fuselage done just following kit instruction

Yu Gyokubun
02-08-2009, 04:21 AM
Picture I attached in previous post became smaller than original one so let me post larger picture

Yu Gyokubun
02-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Seeing the picture I attached in my previous post I found my mistake. That is I glued foremost section of the left side fuselage up side down:o
During the build I thought something strange but wasn't aware of my mistake and came within an inch of blaming the designer but from the experience I knew in many cases designers are not wrong so I refrained from blaming him and it was right decision.

I've quickly rebuilt it as shown on the attached pictures

birder
02-08-2009, 09:09 AM
looking good Yu! Nice thing that cardmodels can be repaired so easily, although I probably wouldn't notice anything....:)

member_3
02-08-2009, 09:32 AM
You must have been the only one who noticed. Beautiful build of one of my favorite birds.

Yu Gyokubun
02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks Ron and Glen

Lately I am busy digging the garden and setting out plant from dawn to dusk every week end.
After dusk I started paper model build till small hours.

First, built weapon racks holders. It isn’t clearly seen in picture 1 but I chamfered all the edges of skins to have good fit with fuselage surface. In picture 2 you will see finished assembly before inserting formers. Picture 3 shows skins of fillet. I also chamfered all the edges. Picture 4 shows finished weapon racks holders but at that point I found I forgot to cut out openings for machineguns. Although kit is not designed to have openings there, I knew there are openings on real plane and I wanted to make it so.
So, took out formers ( I didn’t glued formers to the skin so just pulled formers out) and cut openings then glued small pieces as shown in picture 5. Finally glued rectangular shape paper at the end of those small pieces. Now I don’t need formers so threw them away.

Yu Gyokubun
02-14-2009, 11:13 AM
You will see exhaust pipe, air intake and finished weapon racks holders in picture 6.

Next step is wing build but I have trouble finding out reference pictures that shows construction of Bronco's fowler flap:(

redhorse
02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Lately I am busy digging the garden and setting out plant from dawn to dusk every week end.
After dusk I started paper model build till small hours.

Your schedule sounds like mine lately:)

The plane is looking good!

Cobra Driver
02-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Yug, I might be able to help you with the reference information for the fowler flaps.

I have contacted the designer of the Bronco and let's see what happens with that.

Don Boose
02-15-2009, 09:56 AM
This continues to be an excellent build, Yu.

Nicely posed on the photo, too!

Don

Yu Gyokubun
03-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks Jim, Cobra Driver and Don-sama

Bronco was on hiatus while I was into Hiei’s hull plating, but I didn’t forget the Bronco even for a moment. And one more thing that deters me from tinkering with it is that I haven’t found any picture that show Bronco’s fowler flap construction. Finally I gave up separated fowler flaps and decided to build the wing as-is base except for separated aileron.

To stiffen wing former, I added spacer in between ribs and spars, and today installed main skin for the right side wing.

member_3
03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Good to see you "back in the saddle" on this one. I will be referring to your excellent build when I get around to doing my copy of this model.

Don Boose
03-19-2009, 07:01 AM
More excellent work, Yu-sama.

I am glad to see that you are back at work on the Bronco, even while work on the magnificent Hiei proceeds.

You are truly a man of many talents!

Don
PS: Good wishes for your garden. Have the plum trees blossomed yet? When we lived in Japan, Lil and I used to take the train up along the Tama River to see the early plum blossoms about this time of year.

Hans Christian
03-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Great progress so far!!!

treadhead1952
03-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Yu,

A little late finding this one, but you are doing your usual most excellent work on it. I can see I will have to watch it come together as well.

Yu Gyokubun
04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Ron, Yes, I am back in the saddle again. My paper modeling life started from airplane and have built 25 or 26 airplanes so far.

Don-sama, Plum blossomed end of February and now early April cherry blossom is in full bloom though only one or two weeks. We Japanese love to have sake under cherry trees praising their beauty.

Hans and Jay, thanks

Looking at the picture in the last post I found there are waves on the wing skin. So I have redone it. What I have done are to add reinforcement paper to the back side of wing skin, and to prevent wing twist, glued trailing edges first then inserted wing former in it.

birder
04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
It's beatiful your models are wonderful Yu. It would be cool to see all those planes!!!

member_3
04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, if there was anything wrong, you corrected it. That is a flawless model you have there. I am looking forward the the final chapters of this superb build.

dansls1
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Don-sama, Plum blossomed end of February and now early April cherry blossom is in full bloom though only one or two weeks. We Japanese love to have sake under cherry trees praising their beauty.

Plane's looking spotless as expected from you YuG. We've got a big ornamental weeping cherry tree in our front yard, but it's white from the snow still, no blossoms yet :(

GreMir
04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
It is a real pleasure to see true master modeler at work.

Don Boose
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
It is outstanding work, as always, Yu-sama.

Thank you for the plum blossom report. I wish you enjoyable sakura-mi. I would love to be in Japan now, enjoying the cherry blossoms and sake. The blossoms are just beginning here in Carlisle, but we are going down to Washington, DC, this weekend to spend Easter with the grandchildren and we will visit the beautiful cherry blossoms near the Jefferson Memorial (gift of the Government of Japan).

And I look forward to the completion of your equally beautiful Bronco.

Don

Hans Christian
04-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Hail Master Yu-sama!!!

pahorace
04-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Hi Yug,
This is a building technically perfect!
The result is extraordinary.
Thanks for all this.

Orazio

Yu Gyokubun
04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Thank you very much for nice words, gents but after all your compliments aerofoil tip and aileron build weren’t good. You can see slight gap between wing and tip, a bit wavy surface of the aileron…..
As to aileron, I built it separatory. First, cut out aileron parts from the wings and added ribs and spars. Finally, glued covers that has semicircle shape at cross section.

willygoat
04-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Heh, if that's what you call a "slight gap", I'll take it any day! That's a slick looking wing Yu :D

pahorace
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
For demanding and perfectionists, the best has never limits.
However, I see a very good model.
I am struggling with a model which involved a lot of my time and at some point I was tempted to leave, but may be able to finish it (though I am a beginner).

Orazio

Yu Gyokubun
04-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Many thanks willygoat. Orazio, I hope you to finish the model once you started that is my motto though I have several in the middle model:(

Gardening that I am into lately and business trip deprives me of time for model buildign but this morning digging garden and planting trees has almost finished. After lunch I started horizontal tail build. The method is same as rudders and ailerons build. I set the elevator a bit downward.
Remaining works are landing gears and canopy.

member_3
04-18-2009, 08:44 AM
That is a master build, YuG. I have all 3 of the Zarkov Broncos and will treasure this thread when I dare to build them.

dansls1
04-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Continuing to impress us YuG - thanks for sharing ;)

Hans Christian
04-23-2009, 05:46 AM
It's now looking more and more like the airplane that I used to see everyday...

Cheers Yu-Sama!!!

Yu Gyokubun
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks Ron and Dan, this kit design is very nice. You will surely be satisfied if you build it.
Hans sama, it's really more honor than I deserve:cool:

Assembled front wheel but during the build I forgot to take pictures because of superb design of the landing gear put my soul on fire and I forgot everything. During the build, I felt a kind of meditation that gave me inward peace:)

Stev0
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Excellent build so far... very YuGgish. =)

lol @ the soul on fire.

birder
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Yu, very nice as typical, beautiful model. I'm sure your garden will grow well also.:)

member_3
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
During the build, I felt a kind of meditation that gave me inward peace:)

LOL, Yug - I think you have discovered Zen paper modeling.

Don Boose
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
That is a superb nose wheel, Yu-sama. And a very poetic description of the modeling experience when everything clicks.

Don

redhorse
04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Yu, this is looking almost too good. Close to perfection, that landing gear door in particular. Thanks for posting all of your progress!

Yu Gyokubun
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys for your kind words

Ron and Don, don’t laugh hard at my poetic description. I am in a state that I couldn’t be more serious
In my half-a-century-long life I took up some of hobbies but none of them lasted more than a year but, for the first time, paper modeling has been lasting more than four years. I remember when I built the first paper model something clicked into my mind. On reflection, I knew why I am really into paper modeling is that it relieves my stressed-out mind and develops my concentration.
In Japanese both “paper” and “god” is pronounced as “KAMI” and now I believe in “KAMI”

Glen,
By the same token as I described about paper modeling, I am into gardening but it is getting chocolate-box putting Western style dwarfs' figurines - and I am going to place order for snow white - beside Japanese indigenous trees, and I even paved the road for dwarfs mounting pebbles, hee-hee

dansls1
04-28-2009, 05:56 AM
That reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad a few years ago. He was restoring a car ('62 Thunderbird I believe) and was talking to me about things going wrong while he was doing it and he was very frustrated. I could tell he was stressed. I told him simply 'this is your hobby, if you don't find it relaxing you need to find another hobby'. I don't know how much of an affect it had - but I never heard him sounding frustrated through the rest of the car build. He hasn't done another since, but that could well be due to monetary considerations.

Don Boose
04-28-2009, 06:02 AM
Yu-sama:

Believe me, I wasn't laughing! I think you described the intense feeling of pleasure that comes from model building (when it is going well) very beautifully and accurately.

I hope someday you will share some photos of your other hobby of miniature gardens.

Don

shrike
04-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Any laughter is laughter of delight, Yu-san.
We have all had that moment when a giddy pleasure overtakes us as an assembly grows or when the oddly shaped blob of a drawing suddenly becomes a complex yet graceful shape

redhorse
04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Do you have any pictures of your dwarves and pebbles? I keep trying to convince my wife I want garden gnomes but she won't let me get any yet. I'm thinking a picture of yours might help convince her :)

Yu Gyokubun
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Don-sama, Dan and shrike, yes I was trying to describe how happy I am to have a hobby. I learned in western society people leaves office at the fixed time and enjoy family life or hobby after come back home. But, in Japanese society it is considered to be virtue to work until midnight every day or to go to pub with colleagues even when they leaves office early and come back home late night. Actually for long time I followed Japanese way but after I took up paper modeling my mind-set has changed and I try to come back home early to enjoy a hobby and spending time with my family:)

Jim…… I asked my wife “One of American fellow modelers want my dwarf’s pictures to convince his beloved wife to have them in his garden. Do you think these pictures are convincing?” then she said in a grouchy tone of voice “I don’t know” and went to bed. I’m afraid your wife might be right….:(

eatcrow2
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Hello Yu...

Beautiful garden!!!!!! I follow part of the Japanese way. I try not to work at all, but I'm real good at going to the pub.. It does not help that I can walk right down there.. :)

Your Bronco is a work of art!!!!!!
Cheers..

redhorse
04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I like your philosophy, Peter!

Yu, thanks for the pictures. They look great, excellent garden! plus the little dog and bear may help convince her I need some gnomes :)

B-Manic
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
How can you have a garden without gnomes?
I am still waiting for someone to design a paper travelocity gnome.

http://dimbulb.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/2007/10/19/e1192708965.jpg

Yu Gyokubun
05-05-2009, 06:48 AM
How can you have a garden without gnomes?
I am still waiting for someone to design a paper travelocity gnome.

And Snow White too.

Have built landing gears.
Wheels are putty and CA coated.
It seems I put too much weight on the nose so brass wire of the main landing gears are sagging:(

GreMir
05-05-2009, 07:02 AM
This is trully outstanding work!
Wheel set up is fairly fragile so maybe a little of CA glue would help to stiffen things up? Regular CA glue might be risky due to possible discoloration of parts, but gel should work nicely....

member_3
05-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Wonderful landing gear - beautiful build, YuG!

willygoat
05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Those could possibly be the best landing gear I've ever seen!!!!!! Great work Yu

birder
05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Yu sama, very nice work on all projects. It is helpful to see how you do the gear details! I have a couple aircraft projects I'm itching to start..:)
Old Troll you do look rather young.

B-Manic
05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I can't believe the main gear is holding up the aircraft. It looks very delicate.

g force
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Nice work on the build in general, but the landing gear is flawless. Landing gear construction is an area that I would like to improve on, so I am appreciating your craft here! I can't wait to see the finished product.

member_3
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Old Troll you do look rather young.

The trick is vaseline on the lens - takes out 66 years of wrinkles!

Yu Gyokubun
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks gents
My explanation was not clear.
Picture 1. The issue was the angle of the red circled section. Left side picture shows that the section isn’t even parallel to the ground. In real plane’s picture, hinged section is higher than the rear end where meets wheel center.
Picture 2. I sliced open the red circled part
Picture 3. glued strip of paper both sides of inside the parts
Picture 4. Applied CA glue on the back side of the arrow pointed joint parts
Picture 1. Right side picture shows after the fixing. It became a little bit better than before.

I did consider redoing the landing gear but now already 3AM in Tokyo. I have to go to bed before my significant other comes and knocks up my significant Bronco-chan(my dear Bronco):o

willygoat
05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Great fix Yu! It looks perfect.

redhorse
05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
That's just incredible, Yu. You're making me want to try an airplane now...

Yu Gyokubun
05-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks willygoat
Jim, you seem to be really into airplane build....

First picture shows spinner from original kit that is designed excelently but as I have obsession with petal-form spinner, I couldn't stop designing it though I had no choice but to design it handwriting.
Because of handwriting it was difficult to have petal tips gather at the center.... From a bit distant they look not bad as shown in the second picture...

Don Boose
05-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Comparing the two sets of spinners, I would say that you have excellent penmanship (handwriting), Yu-sama!

It looks like you were able to deal handily with the tension of forming petals!

Your Bronco is a work of art . . . and craft.

Don

eatcrow2
05-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Yu the new spinners look great.. Really enjoy seeing your clean craftsmanship...

Texman
05-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Yu,

Your petal work is outstanding. Thank you for giving me a new level to achieve.

Ray

Yu Gyokubun
05-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Seeing posted picture I felt something wrong with my designed spinner so visited real planes walkingaround site.
Using example from the real plane's spinner I redesigned and rebuilt it.
Compared mine and real plane still there is difference but much better than previous one so I compromised.
Tomorrow I will report more about detail

GreMir
05-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Yu,
I wish I could build that well - your "compromise" spinner is much better that anything I was ever able to achieve....

redhorse
05-30-2009, 01:14 PM
It looks wonderful, Yu. I think your the first person I've heard say that they prefer petals!

Yu Gyokubun
05-31-2009, 03:57 AM
Don-sama,

My wife is very good at calligraphy but me, terrible. My wife would say my writing is childish so computer’s development is a matter for rejoicing to me.

Peter and Ray,
Thank you for your nice words

Mike,
What I compromise is designing. There is a limit to handwriting design…

Jim,
In my opinion, in many cases round shape can only be replicated with petals so it doesn’t always mean that I prefer petals. I prefer petals of flowers in my garden though… They are beautiful.

First picture shows how I managed to build spinner
1. I made good use of original parts
2. Printed red on backside using Microsoft Paint application
3. Draw a line with sharp pencil
4. Cut it out

Second picture shows 9 spinners that I built in frustration and threw into trash box…

To me spinners look better than previous one though there is a bit difference in shape between right and left sides’ spinners….

Don Boose
06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
You have a good eye and a LOT of patience, Yu-sama.

Don

Zathros
06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I love your model Yug, It is one of my favorite ward birds. Your build is flawless.

dansls1
06-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Wow - that effort is why you put out some of the best models in the world when you are done Yu - thanks for sharing with us ;)

Lionheart
06-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Mr. Yu.... Amazing work. I have learned much from reading the progress of this build, Shihan Yu-san. Thank you!

bob martin
06-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Someday Maybe, I can master the skill, and possibily the patients, to tackle such a detailed model. Beautful work, as always YuG

birder
06-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Amazing persistance and strive for perfection Yu-san! No wonder you build such fine models!:):):)

Yu Gyokubun
06-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks guys for your nice chocolate-for-the-ears words

You won’t believe this but I used to be a fast builder. In first 12 months after I take up this hobby, I built 16 kits. At that time I was rather hot headed, impatient and insane. Ah, still now insane from the view point of people who are not interested in building models. But gradually I learned that patience must be the key to have satisfactory result so I tried to be patient for long time. And one day I found my character has been changed obviously because of long lasted effort to try to be patient. So, paper modeling is good for mind training as well. Flash! I must tell my wife this in no uncertain terms as she turns a cold shoulder to me

Today’s progress is only fuel tank .

eatcrow2
06-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Nice series of progression photos Yu!! Sure do love how clean and neat all your work is. "Patience" what's that?? :)

Yu Gyokubun
06-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Gee, universally recognized definition of ‘patience’ among paper modeler is the ability to accept wife’s grumble, cold glance or ignoral without complaining….:cool:

pahorace
06-07-2009, 07:46 AM

You won’t believe this but I used to be a fast builder. In first 12 months after I take up this hobby, I built 16 kits. At that time I was rather hot headed, impatient and insane. Ah, still now insane from the view point of people who are not interested in building models. But gradually I learned that patience must be the key to have satisfactory result so I tried to be patient for long time. And one day I found my character has been changed obviously because of long lasted effort to try to be patient. So, paper modeling is good for mind training as well. Flash! I must tell my wife this in no uncertain terms as she turns a cold shoulder to me

I completely agree with this philosophy of modeling.
Your work and the model absolutely "Extraordinary"!

Orazio

willygoat
06-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Great fuel tank Yu. Those are some super tiny formers. Yikes :eek:

raiderkilo
02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Nice model

Zathros
02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Gee, universally recognized definition of ‘patience’ among paper modeler is the ability to accept wife’s grumble, cold glance or ignoral without complaining….:cool:

Marriage itself is the universally recognized definition of marriage!!

Nh3ave2009
02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
YuG all I can say is Yu have MAD skills, Yu are educational and Yu are inspirational

chiawatkom
02-23-2010, 07:39 PM
YuG!
You are absolutely humble and polite, I will wait to see your finished work, my friend!!

Yu Gyokubun
02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
@Zathros
So, a theory of cultural anthropologist that we homo sapience was originated at a corner of Africa several thousand years ago then spread through the glove is proved. It seems we were injected same notion on marriage in our gene

@Nh3ave2009
Thank you so much for your kind encouragement. I’ll keep plugging away at it.

@Chaiwat
Kob Khun Krap! my friend air guy!

chiawatkom
02-25-2010, 02:40 AM
ทำได้ไงวะเนี่ย งานละเอียดจริงๆ
I tell all Thai guys who may visit this site:

"It's AMAZING work, how could he make it?"

Wish you will soon put the canopy my friend!!!

Yu Gyokubun
02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
ผมดีใจ มาก ขอบคุณ มาก ครับ
“I am very glad. Thank you very much”

I managed to write Thai for the first time in 15 years.
Although I studyied Thai alphabet, a little bit words and fundamental gramar for one year 15 years back in Krung Thep Mahanakhon, my knowledge is very limited because it was boy-meets-girl way....:o

Canopy will look like attached pictures that I built 4 years ago

chiawatkom
02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
awesome!!! Cool! Great!!! Outstanding!!!!perfect!!!!!
bravo!!!!!cheer!!!!!!congratulation!!!!!
สุดยอด!!!!

Papercut
02-26-2010, 05:28 PM
YuG-san my friend, I have watched you for the completion of this most excellent bird, and you have done justice to a true counter attack aircraft. I wish I could build aircraft this neat and clean, but hey we are talking about a fella that can build them like this in any scale. Great job.:)Rick

Wily
03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Wwooooww. Beautiful. Thank you for posting.

Yu Gyokubun
03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
@raiderkilo
I overlooked your recent comment as it was posted on the previous page. Thank you for dropping a note and I hope you enjoy building your Bronco!

@คุณชัยวัฒน์
ปาก หวาน จัง นะครับ

Seeing Thai letter I’m getting sentimental. It reminds me of good old days I had in Bangkok. Robust Sukhumvit street, tasty Thai foods, Paphonyothin 37 where I was living, see yeek Wang Hin where… I may as well stop here…

@Rick-san, I’m very glad you like this bird.

@Wily
Thank you!

A lot of water under the bridge since I posted the last update. Since then because of my bad condition and frequent travel I can’t afford to have time for paper modeling.
As I keep this kit on the shelf, I almost forget I was building this.
Perhaps shortly I will be able to resume building….

Anyway, you gents’ words gave me a jolt, thanks.

Another reason of my slow build besides bad condition and time is that I got into a slump.
Since I took up the paper model I have built 40 kits in 4 years feverishly as shown in the attached picture but one day I found my workmanship on many of them aren’t satisfactory so I threw out 20 kits out of 40 as I couldn’t stand them.

From the beginning of last year I decided to build the kits carefully to my heart’s content even though it results in slow build but still long way to go….. or it would be an unfinished dream to complete satisfactory one….
Lately my heart is blue in a strange land…. I need a jump-start to change my mood….

vanhalen
03-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Hi Yu-san,

long time no hear.
Glad to hear something from you.
Well, KAMI came over me and went away rapidly, when failing with my Mig-3 and the LA-11.
I´m overloaded in my new job, since I finished studying, but in a few weeks, all wil came into balance.
I haven´t build anything for nearly a year or so.
Greetings from germany , my friend.
Go on, and show us your outstanding skills, because there are lot of people out there, who need the same inspiration, you gave me some times ago.

Greetings
Stephan

Lex
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh my... 40 models of top quality... I was always under the impression that Yu-san build slow, but now I see that is not the case...!

Ron0909
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
YuG,
Although we have never spoken before I almost feel like I know you through the builds you have shared with us here. It's incredible to see the care and skill you put into each and every model :) Thank you for the inspiration!

Ron

Yu Gyokubun
03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks all for your nice words!

@Stephan
I’m very glad to hear from you again! I was looking for you peeking at the German forum from time to time… Anyway it’s my great pleasure to know that your life seems to be going well. When you are ready to come back paper modeling sometime in the future, let’s enjoy together!

@Lex
Last night I flew with midnight flight and came back home now. To my surprise a mini sausage dog is waiting for me. She’s a congratulatory gift to my third son from his grandpa for my son’s enrolment in a university from this spring. She’s my 41st family member! She’s the best among 41. She’s as cute as MOEKAMI figure. Ah, I forgot I have 4 more family members, wife and 3 sons so she’s 45th.
I’m afraid my modeling speed further get slower because of caring her too much…

@Ron
I’m typical Japanese who is reserved. Although I am collecting members’ writing and analyzing how native English speaker write English, I always get tense to drop a note to a person who I don’t know out of fear if my writing is offensive unknowingly or so…
Since I acquainted with you one of air guys, let me drop in your threads.

Thanks again all!

Don Boose
03-03-2010, 09:10 PM
That's a really cute dog, Master Yu!

Don

RickTNRebel
10-14-2011, 08:45 AM
This is a pretty awesome build! I served with the the OV-10 Bronco for 14 years as a Marine, From a line Mechanic thru QA Chief. I served with VMO-2 and VMO-6. I think this model is very well designed, better than the p*as*ic versions! So much detail and accuracy. As someone who knows this bird inside out, I do have a few minor complaints : (1) On the prototype, the parachutes are mounted to the side of the ejection seat pans, not behind the e-seat. The chutes are mounted on opposite sides. The observer's chute is mounted on the opposite side of the Pilot's. This causes each seat to traject to the right or left. (2) There is too much color on the instrument panels for this bird's time period. There were no electronic visual display panels in Broncos back then and no electronic counter measure equipment. ECM equipment wasn't added until the mid 70's, which by then, the Black Ponies were disbanded. All guages should be black and white, including the BDHI and the attitude gyro which in this model is brightly colored. The build is great and you did outstanding job! I'm gonna try to attach some pics I took during my years with these wonderful birds. Thanks YuG!

Isaac
10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Yu-san

When you return and we meet, please show me how you made the canopy for the Bronco. That is the only part that I am not comfortable with this kit.

I would prefer a vacuformed canopy if possible.

Arigato Gozaimasu

Isaac

WVA
10-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Wonderful build, YuG! The Bronco is quite a plane.

A few years ago The Yankee Air Force in Ypsilanti Michigan completed a complete rebuild of one of the original OV-10s, one that had undergone several NASA experiments, such as rotary flaps,etc. Then served an airframe training school and sat out in the weather for many more years.

The YAF restoration was spotless, ready for roll out when the hanger burned, destroying it and many other planes and artifacts.

I had planned to build a RC model of the OV10, and loaned books, drawings, photos and a North American manual to the museum for the restoration. All gone, but not forgotten! Your model is a great tribute to a remarkable plane.
Jim

Inky
10-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Yu-san,

This is an amazing build, I love your attention to detail.

I have always loved the OV-10. When I was younger my father and step mother were both in the Navy and we were stationed in Atsugi, Japan. My step mother was an Air traffic Controller and I would go to work with here some times. One day a hurd of OV-10's came in and they sounded like a swarm of mosquito's. I always loved the way the could take off and land on a dime. They are remarkable air crafts.

Sakrison
10-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Canopy will look like attached pictures that I built 4 years ago
I have tried several ways to produce a canopy for this kit. So far none of them have produced anything close to your effort. How did you do it?

Yu Gyokubun
10-15-2011, 10:54 PM
@RickTNRebel,
Thanks for photos. It’s a shame that I cannot afford to tinker with paper models lately as I am traveling abroad for more than one month and expecting it will last until end of this year at the earliest. When I resume building this bird your point outs and photos will be of great help to me

@Isaac-san ,
Dou itashimahiste
I’m planning to come back home early November for a short period to bring a bicycle and paper model kits with tools to Hanoi, and meet you.
See you!

@Jim
Thank you for your kind words and interesting story about restoration of this bird.

@Inky-san
I am thinking about herd of OV-10s. It must have been spectacular.

@Sakrison,
Material of canopy is OHP film.
Advantage of OHP film is its clearness.
Even using scabrous mold made of balsa wood we can make flat and smooth canopy.
Drawback is its hardness. I had to divide the canopy into 6 sections as the film is hard and form them one by one.
I’m considering using vacuform this time because to connect multiple pieces of canopy has a lot of trouble…..

Isaac
10-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Yu-san

I went to the 2011 All Japan model and hobby show yesterday at Makuhari Messe. However other than a very very simple paper train car, all was plastic , but I really liked it since I do other hobbies than paper.

Regarding the vacuforming of the OV-10 canopy, I think the mold may need to be modified somewhat, but I really don't know how since my expirience in that field is limited to trials and errors.

See you when you come home for a while.

Hope you are enjoying your stay in Hanoi. Have you been to the war museum there yet? If so, I would like to see some pictures if you can.

Isaac

RickTNRebel
10-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Even the prototype canopy is a monster! All of the panels except for the bullet-proof windscreen (which is tinted green) are lexan (plexiglas). You'd think these panels would be interchageable from one bird to another; not so! When they were fit up on the assembly line at the factory, they were pieced together and then frames and panels were drilled for the cherry-lok fasteners. These holes are specific to each individual aircraft. We used CA adhesives and for "expeditionary" repairs, we shaved lexan into Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and made our own "glue", which is exactly how the leading p*as*ic glue (testors) is made. This is a tip for those wanting to make their own glues!

Yu Gyokubun
04-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Hello RickTNRebel,

Thank you for your advice.
I decided to go with OHP film for the canopy because, in my opinion, it is more transparent than polyvinyl chloride sheet. Drawback of the OHP film is that it is hard to shape so I will make it using the same method as I did before. That is to divide the canopy into several sections and attach them to the canopy frame with double sided tapes.

The model has been kept in a plastic container for a long while. After opening it I found some of parts, especially the landing gears, were damaged. I guess the container was shaken at the time of the Great East Japan Earthquake that happened four years ago and the model inside must have hit the container.

I detached landing gears and fix them taking two days.
My efforts seemed to be rewarded. It recovered from broken legs and stand on its own struts again.

I'm ready to recommence remaining works.

Two attached images show the model after the surgery.

Yu

YOAVHOZMI
04-10-2015, 11:12 PM
very beautiful model and very clean work, i like it.

YOAV

paperengineer
04-11-2015, 11:24 AM
The thread lives! Great model! The ov-10 isn't as popular as the f-16 or b-52, but a fan favorite nonetheless

Yu Gyokubun
04-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Hello YOAV and paperengineer

Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, Bronco seems to be fan's favorite.

The helicopter Apache that I built long ago also fell off the shelf and broken into pieces by the earthquake. It was heartbreaking to see the broken model but I didn't throw it away.
This morning I came up an idea to use rocket pods of it for Bronco.

I glued it into the place temporarily to check how it looks.
It's the easiest way to use existing parts though discoloration bothers me.
Painting white section will be an idea.....

Yu

paperengineer
04-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Very cool rocket pods and missiles. What kit of the Apache is this from?

Yu Gyokubun
04-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Very cool rocket pods and missiles. What kit of the Apache is this from?

The kit is from Maly modelers. It was old model and I'm not sure if it is still on sale. If you are interested I posted several photos of the Apache at my members gallery at this forum Yu Gyokubun Gallery - Paper Modelers Gallery (http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=159)

The kit design is simple so I added and modified some parts especially on rotors.

Yu

mor54
04-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Hello,

Great modeling of a very interesting aircraft. Hope to see it done and complete in the near future.

Shalom Mor

MacSongLi
04-12-2015, 03:30 PM
WOW, a fantastic build. You did an amazing job on the petals. Extremely clean work.

Gary

Erik Zwaan
04-15-2015, 12:11 AM
Beautiful work Yu san! Very clean and accurate. A pleasure to watch.

Regards,
Erik

Yu Gyokubun
04-17-2015, 06:35 AM
Shalom
Remaining works are not many. I sure will finish this project in a foreseeable future.

Gary
I'm glad to know that you noticed the petals. The spinner is the parts I devoted myself the most. I designed the petals myself though it is handwriting.

Erik san
Thank you for your kind words.

I was going to use the rocket pods take out from the Apache but on second thought decided to make new one provided in the kit.
After cut out holes on the end discs, glued small dia. tubes on the back of the holes and also glued large dia. tubes along the circumference of the discs to reinforce fragile discs.

I found the black lines around the holes stand out and the lines are blur. So I decided to draw the discs newly.
It's a shame I don't have AUTO CAD so used the shape of Microsoft excel. It's primitive way but better than handwriting.
Drew the lines gray so that it will not stand out.
I had to adjust size and position of the holes moving it little by little and build it by the trial and error method.

The first image shows end disc's pattern

The second image shows end discs with tubes

The third image shows rocket pods provided in this kit and from the Apache.

yrn_n
04-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Strange, do you not receive the files of the rockets podes?
There is a file with the planning of the 4 carriers under the body and another 4 underwing.

Here is an example of the file and images of rockets on the plane.

In addition I am attaching a picture of the model, built by David from Spain.

Yu Gyokubun
04-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Strange, do you not receive the files of the rockets podes?
There is a file with the planning of the 4 carriers under the body and another 4 underwing.

Here is an example of the file and images of rockets on the plane.

In addition I am attaching a picture of the model, built by David from Spain.

Hello ym_n,

The sheet included in the kit is attached one.

Yu

Pgtaylorart
04-18-2015, 03:02 AM
Yu,
I have only recently discovered this build thread since I was not yet a member here when it was first posted. You are a master with paper! Your Ov19a Bronco is incredible. I have so much to learn from you. Thank you for the informative and detailed posts, and I'm glad you're back to modeling!

Don Boose
04-19-2015, 07:46 PM
I am glad to see that you are working on this beautiful model again, Yu-sama.

Don

Yu Gyokubun
04-21-2015, 07:13 AM
George
You are very generous to mention me with such kind words but I am not a master but just a slow modeler.
Nevertheless if my thread could be of any help to you I would be happy.

Don sama
I am determined to complete this model!

Giving in to the designer's pressure, done two more sets of rocket pods, 12 rockets and missing parts. To make the pylon pattern referring to the sample sheet the designer posted, again used Microsoft excel.
Excel isn't a designing software so I had to adjust dimension of some sections during the build.

Now that I have full sets of the rockets pods threw away the one taken out from the Apache.

I built test piece of tail section of the rocket but found it needs redesigning so will post it in next update.

Image 1
Drawing for the pylon

Image 2
Before loading the rockets

Image 3
After loading the rockets

Image 4
Bye bye old pods.

Yu

Don Boose
04-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Fine work on that armament!

Don

paperengineer
04-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Excellent, no better adjective!

mor54
04-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Great modeling and very detailed weapons set.

Shalom Mor

Yu Gyokubun
05-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Thank you Don, paperengineer and Shalom

Thank you Yarn for sending me the revised sheet. I redid all missiles and pylons.

Thank you Isaac for giving me the advice about folding fins.

Isaac mentioned that these missiles have folding fins so I found it on the internet and designed.

Image 1
Self-explanatory
To make orange arrow pointed parts cut out regular copy paper. Width is about 0.12mm

Image 2
The photo taken before inserting folding fins into the pot is blurry. Only this photo shows end of fins clearly. Please refer to the image 1 for entire shape.

Don Boose
05-16-2015, 08:45 PM
That is exceptionally detailed work!

Don

FRD
05-17-2015, 08:37 AM
looking forward to seeing this complete.. exceptional work..

Erik Zwaan
05-18-2015, 08:45 AM
WOW! There's no other word to describe the missile details. You must have a very great deal of patience and perseverance!

Cheers,
Erik

Isaac
05-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Yu san

The rockets and pods look great. Very well detailed.

I also see you changed your avatar picture.

and

Yesterday I went to Ottawa ( capitol of Canada ) for the annual Tulip festival. Thousands of beautiful flowers all around the city. As beautiful as Hanami.

Isaac

Yu Gyokubun
05-19-2015, 07:15 AM
Don and FRD
Thank you for dropping in and kind words.

Erik
My only advantage is that I am patient

Isaac san
Thank you for encouraging words.
My last avatar was taken 3 or 4 years ago so changed the photo taken last week.
I checked tulip in Ottawa on the internet. It's breathtakingly beautiful! You are lucky to be there.

Viewing the close up photo found many blemishes and I don't like that so REDO.
Taking this opportunity also changed designing a bit. As is shown on the image 1 snick part of the fin where inserted into the tube so that outer edges of the fin almost fit to the inside wall of the tube on the pods.

The retainers are small so during assembly it is not easy to find blemishes. After taking close up photo those blemishes stand out. Anyway, the new ones look a bit better than the last one and I have no more energy to redo it so call it a day.

As is shown on the image 4 actual size looks like it so whatever the outcome difference is not significant. I wonder if it is worth trying....

Image 1: New design
Image 2: Retainer assembly
Image 3: Comparison of the last one and the new one
Image 4: Actual size

papersurprise50
05-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Thank you all for kind and encouraging words:) Thank you, Moshe for reference picture. Yes, I will not forget rocket pods because I am a weapon lover:D But, it doesn’t always mean I love real weapon. I just like to put weaponry on the pylon of my aircraft models to improve appearance.

Before starting build, I surfed on the internet and found out some of walkaround picture site. One of the sites has pictures of the spotter that Shrike mentioned.
These pictures will be of help to me when I modify joysticks, pedals and etc.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk117_OV-10/walk117.htm (http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk117_OV-10/walk117.htm)

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/ov-10d_155494/ (http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/ov-10d_155494/)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3174058/tm.htm (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3174058/tm.htm)

Following kit’s instruction assembled main part of fuselage. One point I didn’t follow the instruction is to cut away gluing tabs for wheel well because I thought folded gluing tab might change the depth of wheel well a bit and folded line might not look neat (to tell the truth it is attributable to my clumsiness:().

This is what I have been looking for ! Nice clean and well done parts English Bah ! Your work speaks for itself !

papersurprise50
05-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Yu, I think the appearance is not bad at all!
I saw this technique of sanding away carefully away protruding seams, and I found, that it makes the curvature of the segments much smoother. The disadvantage is of course that the area needs recolouring.
Another thing I also do is bevel the edges of two adjoining segments with a round object. This slightly shrinks the edge of the part. By bevelling the opposite edge of the neigbouring segment in the same way, leading to the same amount of shrink, I found that the sharp corner between two segments is decreased. The shrink leads to tiny multiple "folds" or waves which then need to be sanded down, and then recoloured. The result is a relatively smooth shape. In the thread of the Super constellation you can see pictures of the result, especially in the nose of the KLM Super Constellation.
I look forward to more pictures of your build!
Regards.
Yu :
When I built Schreibers D.C. 10 airliner I applied a ship step to it .When I had to glue sections together , I tripled the bulkheads and then sanded them down slightly .This way each joint was a well anchored butt joint . No smoothing needed !

papersurprise50
05-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Mike, thank you for showing your method. Mouse pad!!! I didn't come up with that. Mouse pad is resilient so I can imagine it goes well with round object to shape skins round. And your Tempest is getting meaner by the minutes!!!

Hans, keep your chin up!!! I am looking forward to seeing your BRONCO build in the near future:)
Yu ;
I didn't think to tell you .The Mousepad and in my case, a teaspoon do the same for ships bows and sterns .This is a super neat plane .Keep up the good work . Papersurprise50

Yu Gyokubun
05-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Papersurprise50
Thank you for reminding me of my determination making rocket pods and new tips which I am going to try when necessary.

After reading my post that papersurprise50 posted again and still 2 pods are empty so I got an urge to make 8 more missiles. This time different type and full length.

Made two pieces of missiles as prototype and checked fit. After adjusting some points fit seems to be all right. Many blemishes I found are not design mistake but poor workmanship. When make 8 pieces I must make it more carefully.

The image 1 shows the pattern and the image 2 shows assembly procedure. The missile consists of 14 parts. Since I don’t have suitable software for designing, used Microsoft excel again.
As is shown on the image 1 painted reverse side so that I can make colored missiles by reversing the paper after cutting.

The image 3 and 4 are assembled missiles.

Remaining issue is to go with which one, blue or white.

Don Boose
05-24-2015, 10:18 AM
This is an exceptional level of detail, even for you, Master Yu!

Don

1mwangarch
03-11-2016, 07:51 PM
It's baaaaaack!!!
OV-10 Broncos Were Sent To Fight ISIS And They Kicked Ass (http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/ov-10-broncos-were-sent-to-fight-isis-and-they-kicked-a-1764407068)

paperengineer
03-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Awesome article! It's nice to hear broncos still in use

AndreyZarkov
03-12-2016, 05:02 AM
That's one of my favorite models from my father's designs! I'd love to see the Black Ponies variant built.

For anyone interested in the model: Bronco (http://cadbest.com/store/en/?pid=67)

P.S. Yu, your English is excellent, nothing to worry about!