PDA

View Full Version : IJN Fuso 1/430 Digital Navy

Yu Gyokubun
07-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I am making Digital Navy's IJN Fuso reducing its original size of 1/250 to 1/430.
Having left it improper keeping area, discoloring of made out section long time ago differs from newly made section. To serve a trick on viewers (including myself) impression, I applied rust on hull sides using pastel chalk. During the war there was no color film in Japan and I was not able to find out pictures showing rust even black and white photograph, I guessed what the rust like. Different from contemporary American aircraft carrier, there are no picture showing rust that I hope no one could point out even my guess is wrong!
For the first time I used photo etched railings. On turret and bridge I have already glued them with instant adhesive.

member_3
07-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Excellent! The weathering (rust) looks very realistic.

Clashster
07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Excellent, Yu! I was hoping to see pics of this over here! Makes me itch to start a ship! Great job on the weathering! Thanks for the post!

kooklik
07-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Great Job !!! Yu
Your weathering skill is a good sample for me to paint my sub. Thanks
Want to see more :)

Yu Gyokubun
07-28-2007, 02:48 AM
This week I was busy and did not have enough time for modeling.
Took a picture outside for a change of pace.

Barry
07-28-2007, 04:33 AM
No that doesn't look like plastic that looks like the real ship.

rlwhitt
07-28-2007, 05:08 AM
Outstanding! I just saw your thread over at the other site and WOW! This outside picture? I really thought for a moment it was real! Excellent job!

Rick

Clashster
07-28-2007, 05:22 AM
What an awesome picture! I would have to agree, looks like a real ship! great perspective!

Paperbeam
07-28-2007, 12:59 PM
One of the finest ship models I've ever seen from this era!

I was wondering what those "metal" objects are that almost look like small MIGs with fins between the first two turrets - are they depth charges or???:confused:

Terry

N and Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: http://www.paperbeam.com (http://www.paperbeam.com)

Gharbad
07-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Is that thing only 50cm long?

It's a lot of detail for something that size!
Looks awesome.

Yu Gyokubun
07-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Thank you guys.
@barry
Inspired by your Tarawa's rust I applied rust on my ship but only hull sides. I have poor imagination how the rust like on the structure on deck. I am looking forward to seeing your rust on those section.
@Rick
Its my great happiness that you talented modeler give me such a compliment. After going through your thread I finally found out the most important tips are careful work and patience. Since then I have been making each parts carefully and feel my skill became a little bit better.... I hope so.
@Terry
Those MIG like objects are not depth charge but "paravane" kind of naval mine countermeasure. Usually paravanes are put on stern but those days it was not unusual to put them on bow. I made failure in assembling paravane. After taking a look at my picture one Japanese modeler pointed out that the wing on paravane was not put on upper side but lower side. I removed all and this week I am going to make them over putting wing on correct position.
@Gharbad
Here is original picture. You can see neighber's TV antenna, part of roof and my thumb.
On balcony I reached out my hand to the sky holding the model and took picture. Unlike the US, in Japan, houses are built so tightly that neighber's people looked what I was doing on the balcony. It's embarrassing:o
It seems model look better under natural light. I recommend you to take picture outside if you have courage to expose yourself taking toy picture:D

Gharbad
07-28-2007, 08:16 PM
That's great :D

I'm not embarassed; I took pictures of a stuffed animal I made.
Anyone like StarCraft?
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Reaver/

And yeah, natural light looks much better. Indoors is far too dark to get good colours.

rickstef
07-28-2007, 08:17 PM
I love StarCraft

Great job on the Reaver

Rick

Gharbad
07-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks. I didn't really expect many fans here, but it was worth a shot :D
It only worked out because of card models experience... it's really the same thing, but easier. Fabric doesn't crease!

Yu Gyokubun
07-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Thank you for interesting pictures.
Gharbad, I thought you like armors. Did you make Reaver for .....

Rick, those figures are cool. Do you know this site? there you can free down load pretty cars though explanation are written only in Japanese...
http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~kamaboko/index.html

Gharbad
07-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Thank you for interesting pictures.
Gharbad, I thought you like armors. Did you make Reaver for .....

I like all sorts of stuff.
I've got models of every kind except architecture.
I made the Reaver because I like stuffed things.

Yu Gyokubun
08-14-2007, 08:35 AM
This week its vacation and I have been making paper model.
I have made some progress.
made crane for airplanes and boats, rigging on rear mast, small parts on deck of both bow and stern and railings on bow deck.

Yu Gyokubun
08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Took this photo just for fun. Fuso in sunset.

Clashster
08-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Very cool photo, Yu! Awesome build - crane came out great! This build just continues to amaze me! Keep it up!

Golden Bear
08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Really superb detailing Yu! I envy your skill with the little parts.

Fozzy The Bear
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Took this photo just for fun. Fuso in sunset.

:eek: WOW....... Your model is just beautiful Yu. I'm having difficulty believing how small it actually is and the level of detail you've managed to build.... How do you manage to work at such a small scale with all those parts?? You must be using a microscope. That's just stunning.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Yu Gyokubun
08-16-2007, 02:23 AM
My ship is approx 3 bucks

Made handrails around funnel, search light and handrails on deck
I feel like making small and fragile parts might cause me to have a nervous breakdown
I have managed to build small parts with the aid of head light on the picture.

Barry
08-16-2007, 05:33 AM
The funnel rails are an incredible feat of modelling

Yu Gyokubun
08-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I've managed to finish railings and stairs at port side.

milenio3
08-16-2007, 06:16 PM
I have managed to build small parts with the aid of head light on the picture.

Now... why didn't I think of it before? That's a standard camping headlamp! Going for mine this weekend! Thanks YUG!!!! (The wife will be very happy, now she can go to sleep earlier without light disturbance! :D:D

Hey, and on the contrary of embarrassment taking pictures out with neighbors looking at you like a freak show, it's a good promotion of paper modeling.

Clashster
08-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Awesome looking ladders, Yu! Your build has inspired me to put a ship on top of the build stack! Great job!

Yu Gyokubun
08-18-2007, 02:01 AM
(The wife will be very happy, now she can go to sleep earlier without light disturbance! :D:D

Hey, and on the contrary of embarrassment taking pictures out with neighbors looking at you like a freak show, it's a good promotion of paper modeling.

Yes, my wife is happy but I am not so happy because of my wife's snore. Especially when I try to glue small parts, it distract my concentration.

For promotion, next time I will try to take picture in the moonlit night lighting up the model with headlight with a backdrop of shining moon. I hope neighbors do not call in the police.

Last night I made a accommodation ladder of starboard side and railings of stern deck.
As I have to make turnbuckles for davit for boats, comtemplated how to make it.

The method I came up with is as follows.
1. Fold 0.5mm dia brass bar in [ shape
2. Hold it with nipper and whip 0.05mm wire around it
3. Cut the wire after shaping
4. Finish
5. To make sheeves, turn tip of sharp pencil so that you can get 0.5mm dia circle
6. First apply tiny drop of instant adhesive on to the wire then bring sheeve sticking it at the edge of knife
7. After glued sheeves at both end of both sides
8. Now 3 sets are finished
9. Next is to make handrail for ladders. Cut out bottom bar of photo etched railing
10. Shape them
11. Next step is to make ladder. Cut out steps and side panel
12. Glue it with white bond

Yu Gyokubun
08-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Awesome looking ladders, Yu! Your build has inspired me to put a ship on top of the build stack! Great job!

Hi Clashstar
If you become a shipbuilding buddy I will be happy:)

Here are pictures of completed ladder

Golden Bear
08-18-2007, 06:14 AM
OK, Yu, that ladder with railings is just SICK! Thank goodness that I cannot build right now or I would have to cut my fingers off. That is just a remarkable job and a remarkable photo. Thanks for the technique and for pushing us all a little harder!

Carl

Clashster
08-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Yu, that is some amazing stuff! Not sure my eyesight would let me even attempt that! Awesome job!

Yu Gyokubun
08-18-2007, 11:18 PM
@Carl
Thank you for your kind comment.
I would not like to recommend you to make itty-bitty parts. My motivation picked up card model was that I thought it must be nice to absor myself into some hobby so that I can release tension in daily life. But, this small ship makes me jittery and stressful sometimes.

@Chris
I decided to buy sunvisor cap type magnifying glasses because last night it was hard to glue small parts together and had to make many attempts for each part.
I hope magnifying glasses together with headlight will be of great help to me though I might need to develop my neck muscle to bear the weight of full gear:D

Today is the final day of my summer vacation. This morning I have finished railing.

Yu Gyokubun
09-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Proceed with Fuso building.
Today made a cutter with oars.

Barry
09-22-2007, 01:18 PM
It is quite incredible Yug no joins, nothing out of place. What paper/card are you using ?

Yu Gyokubun
09-22-2007, 02:16 PM
It is quite incredible Yug no joins, nothing out of place. What paper/card are you using ?

If you mean joins under water line, first glued ordinary card according to assembly instruction of the kit then filed the joins with emery paper to make surface smooth.
Then painted copying paper with Microsoft accessory "Paint".
After painted the copying paper cut it 5mm wide and glued it on already glued card surface in longitudinal direction.
As copying paper is a little bit flexible we can glue it easily following 3D curve of the ship's under water section.
Here is a picture before gluing copying paper.
If you try it, you will find it is not difficult:).

Lex
09-22-2007, 05:26 PM
I agree with Barry, every time I see a build by Yu, I knew it's going to be great. I'm just amazed by how you deal with all those joints to make the model looking literally "seamless"...

Yu Gyokubun
02-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Recently came back home after long lasted business trip and restarted model building.
Made boat david, radar, duct at the center of upper hull and derick on fore of upper hull.

Yu Gyokubun
12-10-2008, 04:35 AM
It just came to me that I was posting the Fuso build a long time ago and left it unfinished. Let me post the final phase of the build here....as I feel awkward for not having posted sooner.

The material of wiring I used is an O/D0.0538mm steel fishing line. It is thin enough for this 1/430 scale but the drawback is that it is difficult to bend them so I had to cut them in such a way that we don't need to bend them halfway.

Yu Gyokubun
12-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Finished:)

GreMir
12-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Amazing!
So much detail at such a small scale....................

willygoat
12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Wowee! I'm hoping you used some sort of magnification to see that small stuff. Other wise, you must be REALLY near-sighted. Great work Yug:D

eibwarrior
12-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Incredibly great detail work at such small scale! I'm simply speechless.

Wonderful job YuG, thanks for sharing it with us!

B-Manic
12-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Absolutely amazing Yu. Your skill exceeds my comprehension. Thanks for sharing.

redhorse
12-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Fuso is one of my favorite ships, and you did an outstanding job on her!

Don Boose
12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for bringing us up to date on one of the all-time great builds, Yu.

I'm delighted to see the finished photos of this wonderful model.

I've been fascinated by those Japanese warships with the pagoda masts ever since I was a kid and first saw photos of them. Your model really brings the Fuso to life.

Don

Yu Gyokubun
12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you everybody for nice words.
I use magnifier, willygoat, but even used it I was suffering from eye fatigue, stiff shoulder and lower back during the Fuso build. I’ll not build small scale ship any more, no more, never again:(
My present home is so small that I cannot afford to have space for keeping large size model but just recently I bought a new home that is more spacious and hope my wife gives me enough space to keep 1/200 scale ships.
Now tough negotiation with my wife is waiting for me. I must roll up my sleeves:cool:

shrike
12-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Yu,
Point out to your wife that it could be worse.
You could have a passion for 1:1 scale Mecha

Lex
12-11-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm absolutely impressed with the build Yu! Great work done!!!

Greg S.
12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Wonderful scale work on the boats, railings, rigging. All of these details are magnificent and look highly realistic. I have not seen better work.

Barry
12-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for showing us the finished Yug it is superb

milenio3
12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Beautiful ship!!

Yu Gyokubun
12-16-2008, 03:57 AM
Thank you shrike, Lex, Greg S, barry and Gerardo for your nice words:)

B-Manic
12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I hope you get some more space for models YuG. Call me selfish, but I would really like to see more ship builds by you.

~ Cheers

Thank you everybody for nice words.
I use magnifier, willygoat, but even used it I was suffering from eye fatigue, stiff shoulder and lower back during the Fuso build. I’ll not build small scale ship any more, no more, never again:(
My present home is so small that I cannot afford to have space for keeping large size model but just recently I bought a new home that is more spacious and hope my wife gives me enough space to keep 1/200 scale ships.
Now tough negotiation with my wife is waiting for me. I must roll up my sleeves:cool:

kooklik
12-17-2008, 04:42 AM
Great work manship and very neat shrinking. Hope to see your other masterpiece in any scale.
Best Regards
----kooklik----

chapuzas100
12-17-2008, 07:22 AM
You have done an extraordinary job YuG, the size is really small details and wonderful, congratulations

treadhead1952
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi YuG,

After hearing about your Fuso from Don on the other thread, I had to check it out, an awesome job in such a small scale. I am inspired and impressed with your workmanship and creativity.

I know what you mean about unwinding and then getting all wound up tinkering with the tiny stuff. ;) :D

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Yu Gyokubun
02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Ahoy Jay,

Today I couldn’t be happier because of not only your compliment on my Fuso but your great fondness for IJN ships and in addition to those two reasons your eloquence. I mean I found your writing in your Akizuki thread is very educational for me to write my posting. You won’t believe this but I paste your writing on Microsoft word and print it out. Now total page became 30. By the time you finish your build I feel like I could collect enough useful expressions which covers various topics about paper model building;)

treadhead1952
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Yu,

I do enjoy the IJN fleet of WWII and the years just prior. In their efforts to create a world class Navy, they were not shy about trying out new ideas and theories. The limitations of treaties that were entered into in the interests of fostering a peaceful world did shackle them for a time but none the less they strove for the best. Their destroyer fleet was most impressive in terms of speed, range and armarments. Seeing a picture of one of their late designs with a bone in their teeth tossing up a rooster tail and carviing a bow wake nearly deck height testifies to that. Creating their large ocean going submarines that were not bested in underwater speed and range until the advent of the nuclear subs of the late fifties and early sixties was another area in which they excelled. No wonder that I find their Navy equipment so compelling a subject to study and recreate in models.

I am looking forward to seeing your next project progress.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegsa, NV

edumalta
03-24-2015, 05:00 PM
I am amazed by the way you build such small parts. The rigging was perfect.
Such skill and craftmanship are not easily found.

Nice work sir.

Yu Gyokubun
03-25-2015, 12:50 AM
Hello edumalta,

Thank you, I feel honored and your kind words inspires me to try harder:cool:

Yu

I am amazed by the way you build such small parts. The rigging was perfect.
Such skill and craftmanship are not easily found.

Nice work sir.

Don Boose
03-25-2015, 06:20 AM
I am grateful to edumalta for bringing this excellent thread back to light, and I am very glad to see you posting, Yu-sama! I hope you are working on some models, but whether you are or not, I send you good wishes.

Don

Yu Gyokubun
03-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Thank you for remembering me Don-sama! I have been staying away from model build for a long while. As it happens, I was just thinking of recommencing model build upon delivery of German made razor, not scalpel, that I ordered a couple of days ago.

Yu

Michael Mash
03-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Warm Greetings Yu!
Your work has not been forgotten.
Mike

Royaloakmin
03-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Nice to see you kicking!

Yu Gyokubun
03-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Hello Mike and Fred,

Thank you for dropping me a line that take me back to the good old days!
I will be back in the saddle again shortly

Yu

marco1971
03-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Hello Yu,

nice to see you are back!

Marco

Yu Gyokubun
03-26-2015, 04:46 AM
Hello Marco,

It's nice to hear from you!

Yu

OHI
03-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Great pleasure to hear you again YU !!!!

We - I was already anxious. Great that you are well and we will -hopefully- have you back to your imressive work.

Very warm Greetings!
(http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/anxious.html)

OgdenBob
03-26-2015, 10:16 PM
I was not a member yet when this thread was started, I'm glad it's been revived. Your work is just beautiful, Yu, with a level of detail that is total eye candy. Hope you do start to build again, but regardless, the ship is a masterpiece.

Bob

Yu Gyokubun
03-27-2015, 01:47 AM
Hello OHI,

It's been a while. It's great hearing from you again! After long hiatus I'm dying for paper model and motivated. And to cut a long story short, my long-lasting ailment, pain in my lower back, has been cured so I'm ready to go!

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your compliment but the work has many points that I don't like so this time I'm going to use thin blade razor in order to prevent having unsightly cutting edges that is one of countermeasures. Whether it makes difference or not I want to give it a try.

Yu

eibwarrior
03-27-2015, 07:31 AM
This was a great flash back to see this thread pop up again. Good to see your work again Yu. And good to hear you're feeling better with your back.

I hope to see a new project in forum with your name on it soon. As always, I regard you as a master builder in the ship forum, and you inspire me.

Yu Gyokubun
03-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Hello eib,

It's great to hear from you and I appreciate your kind words of encouragement.
Hang on, I'm straightening up messy desk top before getting started.
While tidying up around the desk I found two half-read books that you recommended long ago. "Battle of Surigao Strait" and "Guadalcanal Decision at Sea" and I started reading the rest wasting no time because I need to learn terminologies about ship for doubling my enjoyment of model building.

Yu