PDA

View Full Version : GreMir Models Hawker Tempest Mk V

GreMir
12-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Ok, enough laziness - time to start cutting paper again :D
Little Tommy here (first photo) decided to abandon his trusty Spitfire Mk I and become a pilot of the newest addition in my private air force.
Second photo - I printed the model on Canon matte paper (left) and PrintWorks satin paper (right). Colors on Canon paper are better but I really like the texture of the satin paper. Difference of colors is much smaller in natural light.
Third photo shows cockpit built exactly as designed (BTW there is nothing inside except for the pilot seat and instrument panel - exactly what I needed after P-38 ;)). Gunsight is much to close to the pilot's head and the stick is behind the instrument panel. Very easy to fix as can be seen on photo #4. I simply glued the stick inside the cockpit (now Tommy can hold it) and reversed the top on the gunsight's base.
Photo #5 shows first segment to be put together. As you can see I converted the construction to use connecting strips (made from the second printout of the model). Word of warning - in this particular location on the model I should stick to the design :mad:
Segment in front of the cockpit has a flat bottom to accomodate wing spars and it would be much easier to built as designed. I had to do some surgery at the bottom to work around the problem I created for myself so no photo :o

willygoat
12-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Looks good Michael! Another new model. Yeah!!

Don Boose
12-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow! Fast work, Mike! Well started on another model without a pause!

Your Tempest makes me want to dig out my old Ballantine paperback copy of Pierre Clostermann's "The Big Show."

Don

GreMir
12-14-2008, 10:46 AM
One of those days I should really kick myself for not reading instructions....
I slept on this color problem and in the morning I decided to check something. Guess what... In the paper package it says "photo quality glossy paper" NOT "photo quality inkjet paper" :mad:
I'm printing the model again and I will restart the build. This will also fix the mess I made with the bottom of the model....
Have to wait till evening, though - my son has birthday party I have to take care off :D

GreMir
12-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Ok.
I restarted the build so here is the progress report.
I'm sticking to connecting strips conversion as it is much easier for me to get the segment to allign.
For whoever builds this model, I suggest cutting the former B6B to leave only the bottom part (the one under the cockpit). Otherwise there will be an uncovered edge visible in fron of the pilot. This complicates the installation of the cockpit but my work-around was to glue the cockpit directly to the former B6A and then slide the segment onto the rest of the fuselage.
Diagrams in the model do not show it, but there is an antenna mast behind the cockpit (place for it is marked on the segment). As far as I can tell from the photos, it was just a piece of wire sticking out...

willygoat
12-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Looks good Michael!

Yu Gyokubun
12-17-2008, 10:08 PM
I cannot resist the attraction of nice exterior texture so the first thing I must do after back home is PayPal balance check for it before restarting in the middle project;)

GreMir
12-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Thank you.
This is basically a very simple design, there are no fireworks like the latest card models available but the artwork is simply amazing. Anyway, no matter how much stuff you would squeeze into the cocpit, none of it would be visible so why bother ;)
Tempest keeps growing. Two issues at this stage...
1. John did not provide any colored part for the inside of the tail wheel well so I improvised from spare printout. Also, former in the front of the cutout would be visible so I left strip of paper in the front of the segment to cover it. The opening for the wheel is now sligthly undersized, but it looks much better.
2. There are no slots marked on the horizontal stab but I realized that to late and not wanting to risk cutting the former already glued to the rest of the fuselage, I simply cut the formers for the inside of the stab to work around it.

GreMir
12-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm done with the tail :D
Color difference on the control surfaces is intentional. Since it was fabric covered, I wanted to have a different look from the rest of the stabilizer so this part was printed on matte paper.
As you can see on those progress photos, fit between stabilizers and the fuselage is excellent and installing fillets is a snap.

GreMir
12-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Time to catch some z's....................;)

Yu Gyokubun
12-21-2008, 02:40 AM
...now wear satin and lace. Sorry it's a part of lyric of Neil Sedaka's sweet sixteen. I think, because of wearing matte and satin paper, and your technic, your saweet Tempest doesn't look like made out of paper. Very nice!!!:)

CharlieC
12-22-2008, 07:26 AM
It's coming together very nicely. Always liked the Tempest - if the Air Ministry hadn't stuffed Napier's around with the Sabre it would have been the standout fighter of WW2.

For those who don't know the story - the Sabre was capable of pumping out up to 4000+ hp - it did so on extended bench tests. There were factions in the Air Ministry who wouldn't believe that anyone beside Rolls Royce could build engines. The original Sabres were down rated to just over 2000 hp. Napiers offered a 3 stage supercharger to give high performance at over 30000 ft but this was turned down in favour of a simple 2 speed supercharger which limited the altitude performance. The RAF was just as culpable with poor engine maintenance (the Sabre required a lot of maintenance by well-trained people) and trying to convert Spitfire squadrons to the Tempest rather than the more logical and successful Typhoon to Tempest conversion.

Regards,

Charlie

Afterthought - I once met a pilot who had flown with 485 squadron RNZAF on Spitfires. In 1944 they was an attempt to unsuccessfully convert them to Typhoons and Tempests. His comment on the Tempest after Spitfires - "frightening".

GreMir
12-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Spitfire is a beautiful aircraft, but I love the Typhoon/Tempest family best.
When you look at the Spit, you see elegance and refinement. When you look at either Typhoon or Tempest the first thing that jumps to mind is POWER.
Now, there is nothing wrong with elegance, but if I would have to go in harm's way, I would rather take the beast with longer legs, heavier punch and plenty of horse power to get the hell out of bad situation :D

GreMir
12-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Ohhkayy.....
Entire Sunday evening wasted :mad:
There is nothing wrong with the design, just the semi-gloss (or gloss) paper and the glue will not work together on the chin.....
Yesterday I built the chin radiator, rounded all the edges and painted the inside black. Today I try to install it on the fuselage and BAM! Total failure............
Glue will grab, but not strong enough to hold the skins in place allowing them to move under slightest pressure. I had to pry it of the fuselage (so you have the beaten up look) and start from scratch. This time I started by mounting one side with CA glue (THANK YOU Loctite Control Gel!!!!) and after this was dry, I wrapped it around the former and glued on the other side - PERFECT! :D
Next step was to insert former in the front and massage the skin onto it.
That's it for the moment as tomorrow is regular work day for me.

Don Boose
12-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Great recovery, Mike! The final structure looks really great.

What paper did you finally decide to use?

Don

GreMir
12-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm still using satin photo paper, but for this particular location, since I have to glue to the glossy surface, I had to change my approach and glue selection. Beacon's had really tough time bonding to the glossy surface - because of this there are no marks on the fuselage, it was enough to roll the glue off the parts...
Solution was to use CA glue to do it, the only difference is that CA glue dries rather quickly so I couldn't count on gluing entire chin at the same time and I will have to do it in sections.

redhorse
12-23-2008, 09:34 AM
I had the same problem with gluing gloss paper before. I just went to matte, but CA seemed to work quite well!

CharlieC
12-24-2008, 04:04 AM
For anyone who wondered how a sleeve valve Sabre engine worked....

napier sabre | hawker typhoon | 1944 | 0603 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1944/1944%20-%200603.html)

Regards,

Charlie

GreMir
12-25-2008, 08:30 PM
This proved to be a very difficult assembly and I will admit that I cheated :o
I couldn't form the forward part of the radiator (R2) to fit the rest of the parts so I simply cut off the top part of it. Nothing is visible because part R1 covers the connection anyway :D
Next step will be to do the exhausts and canopy.

dansls1
12-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Looking good Mike!

GreMir
12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Chugging along....
Windscreen was created from separated pieces glued onto the hood bows provided in the kit -worked perfectly.
Buble canopy is adapted from Gomix' Typhoon Mk IB. It's to big and needs to be trimmed but the shape is dead on - well, almost, that's why it's in open position ;)
When I looked on the photo showing gunsight I realised that the glass part should be up front of the box but I will not try to reposition it - CA glue makes it dangerous to the part...

Johnny
12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Nice lookin windscreen!! And canopy!!

GreMir
12-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Thank you Johnny.
I started on the center section of the wing.
Word of caution - John suggests using 1mm card to laminate formers, but this is for 1/24 scale. If you resize the model, you should also adjust the thickness - I chose to cut larger openings in the formers :D
Cut out for the wheel well in the RIB 1 is a bit undersized and should be enlarged about 1mm each side to easily slide onto the frame and wheel well.

dansls1
12-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Looking great Mike!

GreMir
12-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Thank you Dan.
This is entirely John's achievement - I'm only putting it together ;)

Don Boose
12-28-2008, 08:53 AM
And putting it together very well!

The usual fine Krol Kraftsmanship.

Don

GreMir
12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks Don - I try ;)
Well...
This is going to be my last update in this thread -for 2008 :D
Both center sections are installed and as you can see on the side view, fit is very good.
Bottom look is not a concern since John provides belly plates that will cover everything nicely.
When viewed from the front, wings appear to be sagging a bit but it is an illusion - when placed on the edge of the desk bottom surfaces are perfectly flat with upper surfaces slightly sloping downwards (exactly as on the plan)

John Griffin
01-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Excellent build, Mike. That canopy hood is really nice, as is the care you put in overall assembly fit. You models build the way I wish I could.

GreMir
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Thank you John.
Tempest is exactly what I call a recreational model - not a lot of details so anybody can build it within 2-3 weeks, but outstanding artwork do the final result is real showpiece. Even my wife said that I'm finally building a nice looking model :D
Belly plates and wing fillets installed - no problems at all, they fit like a glove.

Don Boose
01-01-2009, 03:41 PM
You wrote: "This is entirely John's achievement - I'm only putting it together . . ."

It's clear that John did a superb job of designing this model, Mike, but I don't think you can blame the entire outcome of the project on him. There is clearly some outstanding Krol Kraftsmanship involved (he said enviously).

Don

GreMir
01-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Thank you Don.
I will tak a little credit for building this plane as neatly as I can, but there are places where I could do better...
One of them is the hood which I will try to reposition - it's rear should sit flat on the fuselage, not stick out like it does now. I'm still asking myself why I made this mistake eventhough I looked at photos of the real plane :o

shrike
01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
One of them is the hood which I will try to reposition - it's rear should sit flat on the fuselage, not stick out like it does now.

Write up the squawk and get the riggers on it. That's why they joined up, innit?

GreMir
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I did, but now I have to wait for the replacement hood...
In the meantime I finished left wing. I separated the outboard part of the wing, reinforced the spar and added card on both top and bottom surfaces - there are no ribs in this assembly.
Next came the difficult part - leading edge. I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive here but everything turned out ok. After careful forming (I used secret modeling compound - water :D) and gluing those petals (I added pieces of printer paper to reinforce the joints) mounting it on the wing was a pleasure.
I messed up the wing tip, but this is entirely my fault - it turns out the simplest solution worked the best...
The only thing required was to assemble the wing tip, THEN glue it to the wing - will do better on the right wing....

John Griffin
01-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Looking SHARP Mike! That sheen adds a metallic realism. Are you sure you need a new hood?? It seems that you could just remove it carefully with an Xacto.

GreMir
01-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi John,
I really like the way model looks when printed on satin paper but it adds some chalenges.
Glue has tough time adhering to the surface and print has a tendency to peel a bit on the edges. So far I was able to touch up the white edges showing when this happens.
I removed the hood without any damage to the plane and I thought about reusing it until... Do you remember Beverly Hills cop 2 when whey use CA glue in fish tank to get the fingerprints? It's true, happened in this case....
Very delicate but still annoying since I know that they are there.....
New hood is already on the way, should have it within a week or so - I was due a little order from Model-Hobby anyway :D

Don Boose
01-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Whatever problems you may have had with that wing, I can't see any flaws in the photos.

Would it be possible to show a photo of the leading edge part(s) before they are shaped and glued? I don't have a clear picture of the "petals" for that part.

Don

Added later: I decided I had to add this one to my unbuilt GreMir collection, so I can look at the part in question and even try my hand at forming it. But I'd still like to see the photo. dwb

GreMir
01-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Don,
Here you go.
What I did was to use a tiny bit of water to soften the card and then roll it on the rolly stick. Few applications like that allowed card to form much easier.

PS
I just saw your order come in :D

Don Boose
01-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Mike! Now it all makes sense. Clever designer, that John Griffin.

I'm at the office now, trying to finish up those fershlugginer student evaluations before the next course begins and putting the finishing touches on the last of a series of articles for the next edition of The Encyclopedia of the Korean War. I look forward to checking out the Tempest when I get home tonight.

Don

Don

GreMir
01-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Both wings in place.
As soon as I stopped fiddling with the design, putting the right wing together was a snap ;)
Tempest doesn't look really big when printed, especially that when reduced to 1/33 scale parts take only fraction of the sheet, but this is a massive fighter - I placed it next to P-40 for comparison.

birder
01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice job Mike! I look away for a second and the plane is almost done!(And the P-40 is large compared to the Hal Spit):)

Don Boose
01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Excellent, Mike. The head on view shows the unique slightly cranked wing to good effect.

Now that I have the model, I realize that, although the control surfaces aren't actually separate, John's graphics are so realistic that they look as if they are.

Don

GreMir
01-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Graphics on this model are the main reason I wanted to build it.
The pronounced chin radiator was a big factor too :D

redhorse
01-04-2009, 10:55 AM
This is coming together so nicely!

GreMir
01-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Tail wheel....
Well, I couldn't bend the wire to the proper shape so I improvised and the wheel is set nice and strong but not as per design so no photo :o
Main legs - as you can see they are of the retracting-while-folding veriety due to the huge propeller.
The main difficulty was to make sure that both are the same length.
I added pieces cut from the spare printout to cover the insides of the legs where wheels are installed.
Design does not provide templates for the wires simulating retraction mechanism but this is very easy to figure out.
I used Gomix wooden wheels of similiar size.
Time for the photos:

birder
01-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Those are cool little struts aren't they! Nice build, Mike!

Tim Crowe
01-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Great model with nice weathering.

Wouldn't want to do a forced landing though with that chin though!

Tim

Don Boose
01-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Mike -- Looks terrific.

Tim -- If my memory serves me right, Pierre Clostermann in "The Big Show" said that landing wheels up in either the Typhoon or Tempest was suicide, with the radiator forcing the engine back nto your lap.

Don

GreMir
01-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you for the kind words.
Not much progress to report eventhough I hoped to get the Tempest finished this weekend...
When I looked at the plane standing on the shelf I realized that it's standing way to high - and of course I was right...
When I built the main legs I did them exactly as the diagram shows them, but they are in fully extended position that is rather unlikely for a plane of this size and weight. So quick work with the scalpel to separate the lower legs and then rebuilt the connecting parts.
Now the plane is shown as it would be standing on the tarmac - extended undercarriage to clear propeller from the ground but compressed shocks because it was a huge and heavy plane.
I also received the replacement hood (thank you Model-Hobby.pl :D) and installed it, this time correctly ;)
Third photo shows how big this plane was - figure is in 1:32 scale.

Don Boose
01-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Outstanding, Mike. You have done full justice to this beautiful airplane.

Don

CharlieC
01-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Mike -- Looks terrific.

Tim -- If my memory serves me right, Pierre Clostermann in "The Big Show" said that landing wheels up in either the Typhoon or Tempest was suicide, with the radiator forcing the engine back nto your lap.

Don

That's probably because Clostermann came from Spitfires - the Typhoon and Tempest apparently required a special technique to survive a forced landing - the RAF made a movie of how to force land a Typhoon to teach the pilots - I'd guess you'd have to drop them in nose up - unlike a Spitfire.

Regards,

Charlie

GreMir
01-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks Don.
There is a mistake in the kit - both parts and instructions state for the propeller to turn in the opposite direction that it's shown for the original.
No problem to fix it though. Photo shows the part as designed and my modification - I simply cut off the little strips intended to wrap around the blade :D
I also added cut off toothpick with strip of paper rolled at the end to fill up the end of the blade.
This will provide required stifness and give more area to mount the blades to the spinner.

GreMir
01-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Better photos will have to wait till daylight and probably better weather to take advantage of natural light. Some wind in the forecast might prove a bit of a problem :rolleyes:

birder
01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice build Mike:)

Yu Gyokubun
01-17-2009, 03:40 AM
It worries me that sometimes well built plane like yours will be carried on the wind. Nice build

Don Boose
01-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Outstanding, Mike! This is one of your best (among a stable of exceptional builds).

What's the next project? Aren't you due to begin another Japanese fighter?

Don

redhorse
01-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for posting this build thread, Mike. It looks great!

Barry
01-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Great job Mike

GreMir
01-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Thank you guys.
Aside from the fact that I distribute this model (hint, hint :D) Tempest is a nice, relaxing build that gives you excellent model without gazilion parts to be cut and glued. John's artwork is trully outstanding and I just hope that photos can really show all the fine detail...

Yu,
I would not risk Tempest flying away from me at this point - I get a bit attached to my models :rolleyes:

Don,
Funny you mentioned a Japanese fighter - Skyline's Claude is already printed :D

GreMir
01-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Airplanes always look better on the airstrip :D
More photos in my gallery GreMir Gallery - Paper Modelers Gallery (http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=74)

Don Boose
01-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Superb diorama! Somewhere in northern France with No. 3 Squadron, 2d Tactical Air Force . . .

Don

John Griffin
01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks Don.
There is a mistake in the kit - both parts and instructions state for the propeller to turn in the opposite direction that it's shown for the original.
No problem to fix it though. Photo shows the part as designed and my modification - I simply cut off the little strips intended to wrap around the blade :D
I also added cut off toothpick with strip of paper rolled at the end to fill up the end of the blade.
This will provide required stifness and give more area to mount the blades to the spinner.
Dang, how did I miss that???
Well, here is confrimation that I erred...
http://www.rojasbazan.com/tem4.jpg

GreMir
01-17-2009, 10:20 PM
John,
This is THE ONLY ONE mistake I found in this kit and at this very minor and fixable without the need to even scratch my head :D

jeanma
07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
sorry i'm very late... but where did you find that model ? i like that kind of skin and it seem really good. :)

GreMir
07-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Right here :D
Tempest Mk V (http://www.gremirmodels.com/tempest_mk_v.htm)
Model was printed on satin photo paper - unfortunatelly, what they sell as "satin" now is more like gloss :(

cjwalas
07-01-2010, 08:51 AM
How have I missed this thread???? Great work, as always, Michael. This kit certainly has personality! Wonderful!
Chris

chicharrero
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Wonderful model, Gremir.
The skin is like the real plane.
The pilot figure is a comercial one?

Regards, jose luis

GreMir
07-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you guys.
Pilot figure came from 1/32 scale die cast model of a Spitfire Mk I produced by Century 21 Toys. Company no longer exists but their models can be picked up from on-line hobby stores and of course Ebay.

chicharrero
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Very thanks for the information, Gremir.