PDA

View Full Version : P-40b Gremir

birder
12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
:)Hoping to build Gremir's p-40b, nice plane, I ordered it in cd format, I really don't know why given the storage capacity of present day computers and how inexpensive back up storage is...If you haven't bought from Mike (gremir) the model is in a program format that needs registration. This was a brief cause of confusion, but in a nutshell, you send Gremir the registration # and he activates the program, not hard, but different. Then you can open the program (including the kit itself that doesn't open before registering. Basically it's not hard and works fine.
The program has a number of photos of the plane constructed, very nicely done construction diagrams, and the model files. This particular plane is a design of Lukasz Fuczec and looks well done.
As an early P-40 (first production version) the color schemes would not likely be so variable had they not gone to the RAF, and used in Africa and Far East to see action with Caire Chinnault's famous unit. I'm planning on a recolor to be consistant with P-40b in the AVG. If goes according to plan...........:)

Johnny
12-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Looking forward to it Glen!!

birder
12-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Thank-you Johnny! I hope to put out a nice version, is really a nice design by Lukasz, detailed nicely on the drawings. Very pretty, should make a great AVG plane. It may not have had the performance of a Spit or P-38, but sure looked cool!

birder
12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Cuttin' and gluin' begins. Formers. (will post pic) Found KC's method to work wonders, tapping on chisel shaped "exacto" for tabs and slots, much friendlier on hands and tools, AND cleaner results!

birder
12-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Nice drawings to use, here's my simple method so far

CharlieC
12-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Very pretty, should make a great AVG plane. It may not have had the performance of a Spit or P-38, but sure looked cool!

The P-40 always seems to get bad press - it was capable of absorbing an amazing amount of damage and it was superior to the Bf109 at low altitudes. I remember seeing an interview on Oz TV with an RAAF WW2 Kittyhawk Ace ( I think it was Nicky Barr - 12.5 kills in 12 months) - he said air combat was mostly down to the aggression and skill of the pilot - the differences between planes weren't that important.

Regards,

Charlie

birder
12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Quite right Charlie! That is what the pilots also said about the P-51 and the P-38. I read (presently forget where- I think "an ace of the 8th") that the planes could be flown against each other in combat practice and the "victor" would usually just be who had the most flying skill and comfort in the type.

birder
12-20-2008, 11:34 PM
progress on cockpit today, thinner formers slightly than halinski, but tab and slot similar. Would have done the footpedals already, but no ca glue, but did most of the center cockpit section
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2201.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2202.jpg
goes together better than it looks, did this at work, still am pleased with the fit and design!

birder
12-21-2008, 12:22 AM
one more pic, a bit fanciful as have not settled on the color scheme shown, but gives the general idea:)

birder
12-22-2008, 07:38 AM
finally after much time studying online information and reviewing versions of P-40b aircraft, have decided on Greg Boyington's aircraft, or one he reportedly flew as AVG member early when tomahowks were not yet replaced by E or Kittyhaws as most existing examples painted today are. The colors are modest compared to later planes, as are markings, he was a member at that time of the First Pursuit group, with simpler markings at the brief time that b-c models were in use. More interesting is his fame later in the war, although he eventually became POW, was a colorful guy, and interestingly hailed locally as well.
Have finished applying camo and "weathering" to fuselage, will spray it and build it properly(formers!). I am excited about this and think will eventually be a cool model, and unique amoung AVG aircraft models..now to build it....:):):)

Don Boose
12-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Good choice, Glen. Boyington was a colorful character.

If you haven't already read it, I recommend Daniel Ford, Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942, Washington, DC: HarperCollins|Smithsonian Books, 2007. ISBN 0-06124-655-7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0061246557).

Ford is a meticulous historian and he writes well. This is an updated version of his book. Sadly, Ford became persona non grata with the AVG veterans in spite of his very favorable description of their exploits because he provided rather conclusive evidence that the AVG was up against Ki-43s and not Zeros (Ford provides compelling documentation to show that there were no IJN air units operating in the area during the time the AVG was in combat). Although, to an impartial observer, the AVG's valor and skill loses nothing from this, apparently it was an important article of faith with the AVG veterans that they dueled with Zeros over Burma and Southwest China.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of any AVG veterans reading this, I strongly recommend Ford's book as the most authoritative history of the AVG.

Don

GreMir
12-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Don,
Back then, in the heat of battle ALL japanese planes were "Zeroes" but I had no idea that after all those years, and all the facts they still thought that....
Ki-27 Nate and Ki-43 Hayabusa were as formidable an oponnent as the Zero if you consider maneuverability and range. Sure they had lighter armament but you are just as dead if you are hit by 7.6mm or 20mm shell and neither one of those planes had any armor or self-sealing fuel tanks.

GreMir
12-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Glen,
I would rather opt for one of the 3rd Squadron P-40, but, heck, any will be nice ;)
I have Osprey's AVG Colours and Markings book if you need any details....

birder
12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Thank you Don and Mike! I like Boyington for lots of reasons, one of my favorite lines was, when supplies were being dropped on his pow camp he was found ducking for cover "..survive this whole war just to get killed by a can of peaches" There are few models of the first pursuit, and flew tomahawks, so for me was awesome to find sources for this aircraft. I'm pretty much done with photoshop, I could use info on the writing on the fuse, "no step", maintenence warnings, that type of thing. I did not want to paint a scheme that was worn only by later kittyhawks, although those are very well known. Today working to finish directions and some tweaks on the DH4. May have some build time tomorrow? Don I totally agree with those comments, am reading "Jimmy Stewart Bomber pilot" very highly recommend this one

GreMir
12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
... could use info on the writing on the fuse, "no step", maintenence warnings, that type of thing. ...
Unfortunately the books I have do not provide this level of detail...
All those stencil should be a typical thing for all the P-40 I guess...

birder
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Mike along those lines, in the book "Nine Lives of a Fighter Pilot" there is a picture that describes how formidable the Zero was ( against Hurricanes prior to capture of Singapore) but the picture is a Ki-43! I had to do a double-take on that one. Goes to show how poorly known Japan's aircraft have been, I must admit to much ignorance myself, but now know a bit more about them. I'm very impressed by the N1K1, and would love to make a model of that one, although that may be wishful thinking.

Don Boose
12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
The N1K must have been one of the great fighter planes of all time. And the second formation of the 343d Naval Air Group (Tsurugi) organized by Genda Minoru and flying N1K2 Shiden-Kais must have been one of the greatest concentrations of outstanding pilots in one unit.

I have a couple of copies of the Maly N1K1 and intend building one some day. It seems to be an intermediate Maly -- far better than the early models but not up to their current standard -- and may be suitable for a modeler of my low-to-intermediate skill level.

Incidentally, my book (Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean war) finally came off the CSI presses last Friday. I will make an announcement in the "Other things we make and do" section soon. I got the message from the head of CSI Press that morning. He said it was a CHrsitmas present and I replied that I heard a chorus of the Heavenly Host singing "Land the Landing Force!"

Don

birder
12-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Congratulations! Your short segment posted a while back was nice, I hope to read that, Don! I think Japan did the best they could by concentrating the available air forces that way, so many of the well trained pilots gone. I just am amazed that such a fine aircraft could be as obscure as it is, and would be hard to confuse with a A6M.

birder
12-24-2008, 09:18 AM
cockpit/ fuse former update, this cockpit is nice, the sides are not on but I like the rare view, besides the fact I haven't made them... Merry X-mas, Happy holidays to all

Don Boose
12-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Good start, Glen! You are building a nice stable of great WWII fighters.

Merry Christmas! I'm at home, but instead of building paper models, I'm working on student evaluations while good smells come from the kitchen and Lil and I anticipate the imminent arrival of Don3, Judy, the two paper-model-building grandsons, and Judy's mom, who is visiting from Taiwan. When they arrive, I'll down tools and put the evals aside for a couple of days. Hope to get some model building done while they're here.

Good day to be inside: freezing rain and icicles on the bird feeders. Clusters of house finches, tufted titmice, black-capped chickadees, and cardinals, with now and then a white-breasted nuthatch or a downy woodpecker.

Don

birder
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Thank- you Don! We are feeding a few birds that are still around with all the snow we have, Steller's jay, Mourning dove and our local Song sparrows. It's very quiet with 2.5 feet of snow on 10 inches of ice over the lake. I'm thinking White Christmas...I did stop on the way to work (not a full day) to look over a flock of robins in the Mountain Ashberry trees, but no varieds or bohemians this am. Did have a Northern shrike the other day, though.

Don Boose
12-24-2008, 08:11 PM
You get some great birds, Glen!

Don3 and his family arrived safely. We've had our Christmas Eve turkey dinner, followed by a concert in front of the Christmas tree (Don4 and his violin and Christopher playing the recorder), and then I read "A Child's Christmas in Wales" for the 38th Christmas Eve from a book given to us by Jim Reuter (JimR in this Forum) when we were living in Monterey back then. The tree, by the way, is decorated with wooden ornaments we made when we were living in Korea in 1971 and is topped by a star made of cardboard covered with silver paper that we made at the same time. Lots of family traditions.

I've also started on the DGA Santa Star Druin Turbulent and hope to finish it up on Christmas Day.

Best Christmas wishes to you and all who are reading this thread. I look forward to your continued work on the Boyington P-40.

Don

redhorse
12-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Merry Christmas, Glen. I haven't said much on this thread because I know absolutely nothing about designing. But the P-40 is one of my favorites, along with the various Grumman cats and I've alway liked Boyington. Even got to meet him in person at a downtown mall opening when I was a kid and Black Sheep Squadron was a hit show. He was the headliner at the opening :)

P.S.

Went and bought some more bird food and suet today. One day I'll be able to identify these little hyper flying guys in the back yard. But for now I'm just really enjoying watching them!

birder
12-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Merry Christmas to you too! Thanks for looking in on this Jim, I've been hastily building, but will hope to get the basics lined up good to detail out the rest. Don, warm holiday traditions are remembered forever by all, I give you the joy of yours!
note:I'm designing a simple model for fg, but this design is more complex than I have ever attempted, Lukasz Fuczac is the designer of the P-40b, I' mostly playing with colors is all. I have been looking for a good subject to design with formers, and have not committed to any. Lukasz has a furmula down well for these, I will work to obtain this too

birder
12-28-2008, 12:32 PM
progress on the tomahawk, cockpit done
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2231.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2232.jpg

Don Boose
12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Excellent!

Don

willygoat
12-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Very nice Birder!

birder
12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Thank you Don and Willygoat! I have been building today pleasantly, and was excited to be moving toward the paint job on the nose, all is not perfect, but I'm glad to see it was mostly due to my hasty former construction rather than the line-up of all these nose pieces. Even though my construction could be better, still am overall very happy with the colors and repainting, will have to start the wings and flying surfaces, but those should(:eek:) be comparatively simple.

GreMir
12-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Glen,
I see a potential problem here....
Cutouts for the exhausts are not alligned with the framework - look at the white fields - but the sharkmouth is done perfectly.

birder
12-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Mike, I think we're still good there. The exhaust ports need to be carefully aligned in the formers otherwise this occurs,( I wasn't so careful :() the sharksmouth is unlikely rotated, as are all flipped identical. I would say its probably ok still. My section joints not so good, still I like the model and the look although my own personal one needs a few patches to be good enough for the shelf.:) Will have to check to see that the exhaust on the skin is also identical flipped, or I may have unknowingly messed it up, but don't think so. The sharksmouth is ok I think, looks really cool.

birder
12-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I've been toying with the idea of making Alin's Merlin look like an Allison but would have to scratch some and move the fuel injectors to the sides rather than the top, and the rear of the engine changed significantly, but the idea is strangely appealing..

-Jim G
12-30-2008, 10:47 AM
The P-40 always seems to get bad press - it was capable of absorbing an amazing amount of damage and it was superior to the Bf109 at low altitudes. I remember seeing an interview on Oz TV with an RAAF WW2 Kittyhawk Ace ( I think it was Nicky Barr - 12.5 kills in 12 months) - he said air combat was mostly down to the aggression and skill of the pilot - the differences between planes weren't that important.
A couple of years ago I attended a presentation put on by Wayne Johnson who flew for the 23rd Fighter Group in China. He described (and showed his own gun camera movies) an amazing mission where he had participated in a raid on Shanghai just after they had recieved P-51s and finally had the range to attack far behind Japanese lines.

At the end of the presentation he held a question and answer time. One of the people in the audience asked: 'which was his favorite fighter plane?' Wayne did not hesitate - he firmly said he preferred the P-40... "They always got you back home safely".

birder
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
That's cool to have heard that talk, Jim! Wow. In a popular book was a quote from a RAF pilot who said the P-40 was much safer in a stall [or overspeed] than a P-51, as the 51 apparently would tend to unexpectedly ground loop, but not the P-40, it would shake a bit then stall, giving the experienced pilot some warning. For when it was designed the P-40 was a great plane.

birder
12-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Well a couple days of Merlin to Allison conversion, attempting to make a V-1710C-15. It may get a little closer with the plug wires and manifolds, but this is the general plan. It is fun to attempt, but tiny SFFM

Don Boose
12-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Looks good to me.

Don

birder
12-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Don! It looks good not on macro, except the carburator and the prop shaft that need a little silver paint and some detailing (so one can tell the carb is one..:)) here's a side view. AAA battery for scale, the engine, although in length about as long as a AA

birder
12-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Here's a couple new parts, spark plug cooling tubes, manifolds, and what I'm looking at as the F model looks like a Merlin more from the front

shrike
12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
AAA battery usually has a different meaning in airplane context.<G>

Not sure what good it would do you but I have the overhaul manual for "F" type Allisons

birder
01-01-2009, 12:08 AM
heh,heh, good one! (my son and I both got a chuckle out of that one)

ps: And best wishes for the New Year to you Shrike and whomever may be reading this:)

birder
01-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Just wasn't ok with the fuse skinning, so after some hesitation peeled it off and redid it, with wider and thicker joining strips after sanding the formers fair, didn't take as long as I expected it, so back on schedule and have a cool early Allison engine to display between the P-40 and P-38....
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2244.jpg

GreMir
01-01-2009, 02:35 PM
It was wort it - model looks much, much better.

Don Boose
01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
It does, indeed. All the AAA damage repaired and a sweet Allisonoid engine, too!

Happy New Year and good modelling in 2009, Glen!

Don

"Allisonoid" = RR Merlin transformed into an Allison.

member_3
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Nice, clean work! The "Allisonoid" looks great and I eagerly await the release of your AVG version of an already great model.

Barry
01-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Nice one Glen

birder
01-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys!!!!!! Moving on to wings, had made formers already and dried http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2245.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2246.jpg
these pics might help if you make this:)

birder
01-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Don, you have it all wrong, it's not an Allisonoid, but a Merlisson, (the difference can be told by sound)

Don Boose
01-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Lil has been telling me I need to get my ears checked.

Nice work on the wing structure!

Don

birder
01-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Progress on the Tomahawk, smoothly now, wing skins painted but not weathered yet. Tail not painted so will be in this place for a bit

GreMir
01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Glen,
You just make sure that this plane makes it into GreMir offer or there will be a riot :D
I always wanted to build four P-40 models:
1. Pearl Harbor - done.
2. AVG - waiting for Glen ;)
3. Desert Air Force sharkmouth - waiting for files
4. P-40E flown by Japanese in Rangoon - no luck :(
There is also P-40M from ModelArt but I treat it as a bonus.

birder
01-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Thank you Mike, Its fun! It may be that this is the only early P-40 of Boyington that is available in model form thus far, so am excited about the project. Quite a bit of work, but just about to the point where can start rigging Cleo as have been drawing details of rigging on pages of paper in attempts to learn where all these lines go. It would be an honor to make this available for builders when the rest done, makes a cool plane with cool history.:)

Don Boose
01-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Looks great, Glen!

As eager as I am to see the rigging on Cleo, you HAVE to finish this one first.

Don

birder
01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you Don! (I'm hoping to do those both, not quite ready for Cleo, its a steep learning curve, rigging)

Don Boose
01-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah. Especially if you begin with a three-master! I think if I were to try sailing vessel model building, I would begin with a catboat or sailing dinghy.

Don

birder
01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, right Don it may take me a while!

MiG-23MLD
01-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Well a couple days of Merlin to Allison conversion, attempting to make a V-1710C-15. It may get a little closer with the plug wires and manifolds, but this is the general plan. It is fun to attempt, but tiny SFFM
Beautiful piece of paper crafmanship, beautiful engine

birder
01-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Thank-you Mig it is fun to do it's a free download but I forget the link...

birder
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
(The Merlin's a free download and also a db 601, see build thread by Sakrison for link)

mgolovanov
01-05-2009, 11:53 AM
2. AVG

There is an AVG model by G.Chen (Welcome to Paper-AircraftWerks (http://www.paperaircraftwerks.com/index.html)). It's relatively poorly detailed and not geometrically correct but bears exact colors / markings of Older's plane (my build attached)

birder
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Thank you!, and beautiful building, that is typical 3rd pursuit markings. This one I'm trying to do is first pursuit group (not hell's angels) and pre flying tiger decal, although apparently the planes were flown by several pilots, depending which was available for a mission. The camo pattern is helpful for me although I'm not using such bright colors, mostly dull and weathered attempt look.....apparently the paint held up poorly then and any variety of paint could be seen depending if the plane was repainted....so I think my colors are ok...

GreMir
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
There is an AVG model by G.Chen (Welcome to Paper-AircraftWerks (http://www.paperaircraftwerks.com/index.html)). It's relatively poorly detailed and not geometrically correct but bears exact colors / markings of Older's plane (my build attached)

Hi Mikhail,
I have both of his P-40s, but....
I will wait for Glen ;)

birder
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks Mike, just to let you know the flying surfaces are painted except for details that need to wait for the building part, but will need to get some gear put together too, coming along fine will show pics when formers are covered a bit. Am working alot (IMHO) so can possibly build some little things at work (this is a nice model and am enjoying it)

birder
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
minor setback--I seem to somehow have used different color saturations for the wings ugh, had them weathered too... will be back on track shortly, didn't notice until printed out just goes to show you have to build these things to check....

birder
01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
P-40 update some visual progress, maybe not quite as clean as some, but still having fun with this model

willygoat
01-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Lookin' good Glen! You did a great job on the canopy sections. Very nice :D

birder
01-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Thank you Willygoat! I have had to replace the front windscreen as it proved to be too flimsy, so used some thicher plastic pacakaging material, am considering making a "slide" for the canopy ?

birder
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
canopy mostly open, canopy mostly closed

GreMir
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
This really looks neat!

birder
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you Mike! I like this model alot, Lukasz has done a nice job with this:), and I'm having fun with it for sure.

birder
01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Woodturned shoes, temp gear and tailfeathers

GreMir
01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Man, I love P-40!
I know, I know - it shot down plenty of my beloved Japanese aircraft but still I love the look of it :D

Don Boose
01-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Looks great, Glen!

Don

birder
01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Thank-you Don! Read a bit of "Flying Tigers" am even more happy to represent the Adam and Eve's. Rather happy that this model is a tomahawk, was drooling about the possibilities when Mike showed us the model originally...The gear are now glued on, but all tires free rotating, is about where my spit is at presently, but pressing on :)

birder
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Mike, hope you like the P-40 enough to do a build thread, I would like to see it! I think a cleaner build from you than I....but I will try:)

GreMir
01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Yep.
That' a number 2 on my list :D

Glen,
You just make sure that this plane makes it into GreMir offer or there will be a riot :D
I always wanted to build four P-40 models:
1. Pearl Harbor - done.
2. AVG - waiting for Glen ;)
3. Desert Air Force sharkmouth - waiting for files
4. P-40E flown by Japanese in Rangoon - no luck :(
There is also P-40M from ModelArt but I treat it as a bonus.

birder
01-11-2009, 01:58 PM
No update here, but thought Don and others might be interested in this map of Kwaj, found on the floor of the bridge of a rusting half submerged hulk Japanese merchant ship 1981 we were clambering about like fools with fins and mask in hand...
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/kwaj.jpg

Don Boose
01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Fascinating! Were you visiting Kwajalein or were you stationed there?

Don

birder
01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Don, the ship was grounded in Majuro lagoon. There was not far away the remains of a PBY upside down and mostly gone in about 30 ft water. We climbed aboard this merchant vessel to avoid a cloud of jellyfish we found ourselves in. Myself, Ken Rose, my high school buddy and I, while I was teaching school on Majuro. I wasn't able to explore Kwaj as non military, but some military guys at the time were "writing the book" on gastropod molluscs then, especially the valuable golden cowrie. This is a small part of the map that is about 3 feet by 4 feet.

Don Boose
01-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Wow! What an adventure! You're a really interesting guy, Glen. Thanks for the background.

Don

birder
01-11-2009, 04:07 PM
It really was a cool experience for a youngster, lots of fun memories.:) The sunrise over the breaking surf with the tall palms towering...ahh

birder
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Thought some explanation may be helpful on my usual method of securing a propellor. I glue in a toothpick sanded smooth into the former, leave long to visually see is true, and make a cylinder to rotate on the hub and glue into the prop spinner. No glue between cylinder and temporary hub. Make sure carefully that these are true as poss, and let dry usually overnight at least for the glued in hub. Later will test fit, trim the hub place on and glue a stopper to the end of the hub. Using wood and paper enables the hub to burnish smoother and actually rotate easily for the life of the model, or for as long as I've been making them I should say.:)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2261.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2262.jpg

Don Boose
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for this, Glen. Looks like a useful technique that I might employ when and if I try a 1/33 model (like the long-postponed GreMir Ki-44 for which I built the cowling and then stalled).

Don (checking in from the office and longing to slice paper again)

Barry
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Looking good Glen

birder
01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you Don and Barry! Nice of you to stop in on this Barry! Don, I'd like to see that model happen if schedule should allow. Was reading on the net about the Nakajima Aircraft company, and the two separate factories side by side! It seems the "Ki 27" a most revolutionary aircraft for Japan, and the Homare engine also. Interesting progression from the parasol Nakajima fighter, although WWII performance hampered by poor fuel quality later as the engines were used in more advanced airframes.

birder
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
She looks more like a P-40 now with rudder and spinner

GreMir
01-15-2009, 05:18 AM
And I definitely want one :D

willygoat
01-15-2009, 07:10 AM
That is VERY nice Glen :D I like it!

dansls1
01-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Looking good Glen!

redhorse
01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Excellent!

birder
01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you all for the kind word, it seems I'm running out of parts to put on this plane pretty soon. So, with some tweaks here and there you will have yours, Mike!:)

Don Boose
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
It definitely looks like an AVG P-40, Glen. Excelent work!

Don

birder
01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks Don! Pretty much done with repaint, just a little more building. We had a Bald eagle on the ice eating something in the bay yesterday, prey had white feathers, likely a gull. They usually stay farther out, this one nice view:)

Don Boose
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I envy you the bald eagle. I have seen very few in my life, although Lil and I had a wonderful view of one flying circling fairly low over Cape May Point last September.

We've had nothing out of the ordinary in our backyard in recent days, and I have been spending a lot of the daylight hours either in the reading room of the Military History Institute (where I am now) or in my office (which does have a very nice third floor view of the open woodlands surrounding the LeTorte Creek, which runs through the Army War College campus). My birding office mate, Walt Wood, USMC(Ret), and I sometimes see raptors, herons, and egrets -- but the only ducks are common or garden variety mallards.

Incidentally, I meant to say that your shot of the P-40 made me think of an AVG plane with the tail up on a wooden trestle at Kunming or Mingaladon to zero in the guns.

Don

birder
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Bald Eagles are stunning even after all these years of seeing them, mostly due to their size, we are fortunate to see them regularly, eating fish in the summer (often stolen from Osprey) coots in the fall, and mostly scavenging in the winter ( Deer killed on the ice, or even road killed) They do seem to be fond of venisen, although not by catching on their own!
Ben Franklin's choice for National Bird is also about in flocks, one group of Turkeys was on the neighbors' front steps, must have been feeding them.
Our local birds are few, but endless stream of BC Chickadees yest, nice to have them about, and a couple Flickers.:)

Ashrunner
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Birder....Very nice work on the P-40 repaint. My last Air Force assignment was with the 13th Air Force Headquarters at Clark AB, Philippines. Though also attached to the 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, now at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska (odd twist of fate that my first AF assignment and last AF assignment were so entwined with each other), I did a lot of work for 13th AF. Inside the headquarters building was a number of photos of the history of the numbered air force.

Among them were photos of Flying Tigers. I only wish when the base was turned over to the Philippine government, I had been able to walk through the halls of that building and pick a few photos off the walls. One image I remember was a color flying shot of two Tigers. They had blue stripes around the fuselage near the tail, but I can't recall which squadron that represented. The pilot in the nearest aircraft was grinning big, holding up three fingers. I always wondered if that was his total for that day.

Regarding Bald Eagles, several months ago I was walking down the main drag of Redmond, Oregon, heading towards a local repair shop. Out of my peripheral vision, I noticed something large in the sky. First thought was aircraft since the approach to the local airport is close to where the spot was. When I glanced up at the object, I realized it was a large, probably female, Bald Eagle soaring on the currents, following the middle of the roadway northbound. It wasn't more than 150 feet high. I watched it for a few moments and as it got above me, it wobbled a bit in its flight, gave a gentle flap of its wings and continued northward.

They are amazing creatures to see.

birder
01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
That is really cool Ash, and thanks. Really turns out to be a cool model.:)

birder
01-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Re; Bald Eagles, it is lucky for me to have spent the better part of my life in the Northwest where we are blessed to see so much wildlife. I must say though, when we briefly lived in Orlando we saw Eagles spiraling on the warm thermals frequently and nests out by the Cape. Eagles are a more common sight today than 30 years ago, when the numbers of raptors were plummeting. I do recall seeing treefulls of Eagles at Wolf Lodge Bay as a teen, though, Couer d' Alene lake, Id, even in the 70's, 30 Eagles in the bay, 5-6 in one tree. (more like Alaska)

shrike
01-16-2009, 10:10 PM
When I was but a lad in school, I had the great fortune to be on the down slope of a population bulge. Our high school was built for four times the actual student body, but funded by the same tax base.
Anyway, my biology class spent some time doing field work with Raptor Rehabilitation at Tyson Research Center where they were breeding Bald Eagles for release into the Mississippi River valley. The oddest, yet most satisfying, thing was feeding eaglets mouse-mush and fish-flan with a glorified sockpuppet - a surrogate mother eagle to prevent them from imprinting on humans.
For all their optical acuity in target acquisition, they had no problem believing that 'Mom' was a tube sock with a plastic beak and magic marker eyes sticking out of a curtain.

I also recommend avoiding aeries, not only because of sharp beaks and talons, but because of the smell<g>.

birder
01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey Shrike, have you heard the story of the Craighead brothers up in a eagle nest? One of them (Frank or John ) was completely immobilized when one of the 3/4 grown eaglets planted its talons entirely into each of his forearm muscles, his brother had to remove the implanted eaglet so he could repel back down. Those talons, the inside front and the rear are very large (if you saw them in person that must have been impressive). I suppose outdoors 100 ft up the odor may not be so noticable?:)

birder
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
now an update, the P-40 in the desktop construction facility, with cleo patiently waiting
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2269.jpg
sorry about all the meanderings..unfortunately typical:)

birder
01-18-2009, 03:33 PM
few better shots of present status

Don Boose
01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Excellent, Glen! And a great workbench shot. Although some British and Commonwealth aviators might consider it bad luck to have their aircraft touched up with "Prang" paint.

Don

shrike
01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Rules out modeling anything from the Puerto Rican Air National Guard too

birder
01-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Thankfully I'm not a pilot or I likely would be more familiar with that term,
Don here's a shot of the stable as presently
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2273.jpg

Don Boose
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Great stable of aircraft, Glen.

Webster's NewWorld Dictionary; 01-01-1988 prang (prang) vt., vi. [Slang, Chiefly Brit., etc.] 1. to cause (an aircraft, vehicle, etc.) to crash 2. to collide with 3. to bomb heavily--n. [Slang, Chiefly Brit., etc.] 1. a collision 2. a bombing raid.

See also: RAF Slang (http://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_slang.htm)

Don

birder
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the formal def, although I was referring to painfully familiar, as in, oh , anyway. You know Don your literary expertise is showing.. I'm about to the Korean War part of your recent work, and enjoyed your perspective on WWII immensely, it is a unique perspective re the PTO, I've compartmenalized the theaters into "Navy" and ETO as "Army" not completely but in simplification, but this overlooks MaCarthur (he reminds me a bit of Patton by your book so far; gets things done, but his way)

Don Boose
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Well, to continue this diversion . . .

In another thread, David Sakrison noted the difficulty of deciding when a book is finished -- especially history, since the research never really ends.

Last year, I was chatting in the Military History Institute Reading Room with Brian Lynn, one of the preeminent military historians in the United States, and bemoaning the fact that the Combat Studies Institute wanted me to stop making changes and go final on the mansucript.

Brian said that he agreed with CSI. At some point, you have to say it's finished and leave future research to another book or another scholar. "Remember, Don," he said, "Don't get Pranged!"

In this case, the reference was to Gordon W. Prange, who was General MacArthur's chief historian in the Southwest Pacific Area theater and in Japan. He amassed an incredible amount of material on the Japanese planning for the Pearl Harbor attack and other Japanese operations, which he brought back to the University of Maryland, but never considered his research to be completed. He died in 1980 without ever publishing a thing. A year after his death, his assistants, Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon, completed the manuscript of At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor (later made into the film, Tora! Tora! Tora!) and then went on to publish book after book making use of Prange's extensive research.

Don

birder
01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I can see how each article of research opens doors for more, but your book is covering such an extensive/expansive period that I think it was excellent to bring it out as presently. (and the rest of us can enjoy your time spent) I had a friend, now gone, who was the local "Naturalist" if you were, and so many of us wished he'd put down his knowledge in some form, but never did...I spent lots of hours birding with him, great fun as he diverted to bugs or plants or whatever we came upon. He was amazing. He was doing X-mas bird counts at 85!

birder
01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
The gear door detail on this is nice, as is the unique retraction method of the original plane. This done today, winding down to odds and ends on this one :)

birder
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I felt compelled to improve the accuracy of the early shark'smouth
here is the efforts thus far, applied to my model as bond paper
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2278.jpg

Don Boose
01-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Glen -- You have developed a very useful technique -- using bond paper overlays over a completed model. Don

birder
01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Heh, Don, well thanks, I guess it could be unique to the papermodel community to be able to build several versions of the same model, but I can't take credit for decals in general, although I think these apply easier than the soak in water tear easily type!:)

birder
01-22-2009, 09:34 PM
The plan isn't to use this method, though for the paint job, but I was thinking of throwing in a bond-paper flying tiger decal scaled to size, one could even leave all the markings this way to easily make several versions, like the old plastic car models that came with customization options, those were my fav in gradeschool..

ju52man
07-21-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm planning to build gremir's bf-109t-1,based on hobby-model's. does anyone know if it's good or not?

GreMir
07-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Build report of the Model-Hobby version WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - Odp: [Relacja] Messerschmitt Bf-109 T1 MODEL HOBBY (http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=150905&t=134557#reply_150905)
And here are photos of the completed model WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - [Galeria] Messerschmitt Bf-109 T1 - MODEL HOBBY (http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=152733&t=152733#reply_152733)
Model-Hobby and GreMir versions are identical.
All additional items (tools, figures, equipment) are extras added by the modeler and not included in the kit.
Here is a simultaneous build of Halinski's Bf 109E and Model-Hobby Bf 109T Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | abgeschlossene Bauberichte | [completed] Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 and Bf 109 T-1 (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=13935&hilight=bf+109t)

birder
07-21-2009, 11:19 AM
oops ...............

ju52man
07-23-2009, 02:39 PM
thanks,gremir. that's exactly whay i needed!