PDA

View Full Version : Hand-launched glider.

Torus34
11-30-2012, 09:02 AM
The Quetzalcoatl design, downloadable on this site, blew me away when I first saw it. It's a delight for the eyes and got me thinking about paper HL gliders in general.

In traditional rubber-powered 'stick and tissue' flying models there's an old adage: build to minimum weight and then add in lightless. With that as a guide, some 65# card stock and some glue I've been working toward maximizing time of flight. The results thus far have none of the aesthetic appeal of Quetzalcoatl [A tribute to it's designer's eye,] but I've got wing loadings down to 1/3g/sq.in. Wing spans are in the 12-15" range, though I'm working toward increasing this as my skills and designs improve.

I'm presently using a triangular x-section body and single-surface center dihedral wings stiffened by a crease at the 1/3 chord point and a leading edge 1/4" glued fold-over. Tail feathers are folded-up fins* at the ends of a stab mirroring the wing construction. Weight is the old stand-by: modeling clay.

Has anyone else mucked about in this particular playpen? Wanna join in?

* A simple 90 degree fold's more than a little floppy. I increase the stiffness with an Ambroid(r) fillet. The fin must be supported as the glue dries.

HMCS
11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
post a pic,.. sounds cool

mldixon
11-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Where's the link to the site?

Torus34
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
I assume you mean this one:

PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Quetzalcoatl paper glider (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=280)

Leif Ohlsson
11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Thank you, Torus for liking the Quetzalcoatl! It does represent a nice approach to paper aeromodeling, doesn't it?

Mike, I found the links to the various Japanese sites given in the build thread (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/5499-quetzalcoatl-high-performance-all-paper-glider.html) both useful and interesting. It takes some time to go through them, though, as I remember it.

Leif

zubie
12-03-2012, 04:58 PM
There's a local sci fi con called Arisia where there's a kid's track with various events and such. I considered suggesting a rubber launched flying paper model. Keeping the theme I quickly tried by eye to make a flying harry potter on broom using the cape as the wing and the broom as the stabilizer, but getting the elements of lift / strength / + stability are tricky to balance. I put the whole thing in the fridge so to speak, since the difference between flight and ballistics are sometimes not obvious :)

mldixon
12-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Thank you, Torus for liking the Quetzalcoatl! It does represent a nice approach to paper aeromodeling, doesn't it?

Mike, I found the links to the various Japanese sites given in the build thread (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/5499-quetzalcoatl-high-performance-all-paper-glider.html) both useful and interesting. It takes some time to go through them, though, as I remember it.

Leif

Thanks Leif , checked it out, nice.:)

richkat
12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
This is my build of Leif's Quetzalcoatl hand-launch glider. I enlarged it to 153% with a wing-span of 24", printed on poster paper. The all up weight came out to 49 grams, on the first EASY toss it flew about 75' WOW, can't wait till after work Wednesday so I can give it a real shot......Rich

spaceagent-9
12-04-2012, 09:52 PM
you can launch saucers with a turky baster!!!!
just off angle the imput

Leif Ohlsson
12-05-2012, 03:46 AM
Rich, that is a good illustration of the relation between weight and scale. 150 percent larger should increase weight by the cube of 1.5, which is 3.4. Multiply my weight 17 g by 3.4 and you get 57 g. Wow, you really came out on the light side of that wirh your 49 g - well done!

And I'm glad it flies well! :)

Leif

Leif Ohlsson
12-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Afterthought: But why, oh why, Rich, did you abstain from those beautiful colors :confused: ? - L.

Danoman
12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Cool...!!!

I've become a huge fan of the white foam from the Dollar Tree. I'm going to try this using that foam and see about turning it into a remote control model. Looks to be a great flyer... ;)

richkat
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks Leif, the poster paper I buy (from GreenTree 1$ store) just wont print well on the gloss side so I print everything on the dull side and the colors didn't come out well on that side. So just did the plane white version....maybe I'll paint it.....Rich