PDA

View Full Version : Site operations

rickstef
02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

I have gotten various emails, private messages, and comments from members who believe that the Admin group is messing with the site.

I can assure you, we are not.

We, like you, have a day job that pays our bills, and there is not much time for us in the day to be working on the forum software, we try to fix any problems with out much notice to our members, but keep in mind, we can not control what the hosting company does on a daily basis, or how the Internet acts when someone accesses the forum.

If an individual member is experiencing weird behavior on the forum, the problem might lie with the computer or connection, they are using in order to access the Internet.

If the modem or router hasn't been reset in a while, do so, start with unplugging the modem, then the router, and if the computer is on, turn it off
Wait for about 30 seconds to a minute, and restart the modem, then the router, and then the computer.

Also, the age of the router or modem might give a poorer experience, if you are renting the modem, call your Internet Service Provider, and ask for a replacement, if your router is old, 5 years or more, consider buying a new router.

If those are new, or newer, and your computer is a bit dated, look at how the computer is connected, hard wired or wireless.
There might be some interference, or the network interface card might be going bad.
Replace the card or clear the interference if you can.

Also, keep your firewall and antivirus software up to date.
You have read or heard about how computers can be taken over, and you can be unwittingly be helping spread spam.

This is only advise, and yes it is free, you can choose to ignore it, or act on it.

I hope some of these steps can help you gain back some of the enjoyment that this forum gives you

As always, any comments, questions, concerns, gripes, send me a private message

Rick

richkat
02-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I have not had any trouble with the site at all....what kind of trouble are people having?......Rick

rickstef
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
the site not responding, when posting comments or pictures.

hiccups or something similar.

I have experienced that, but then I have performed what I described above

It has been very windy here on the East Coast, and I have had the cable tv and at times my connection get affected by the wind

heimdall
02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Ir's a great site. Thanks.

Phil
02-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Been coming here every day since I joined and never had any issues.:)

Robijntje
02-03-2013, 05:03 AM
Hoi Rickstef,

Site works fine to me; didn't encounter any problems yet!

Greetz, Robijntje

Miles Linnabery
02-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Dear Rick:
Thank you for all your behind the senes hard work and for jumping in when you you know the ancer to something. can't spell today (or any other day eather).
Thanks,
MILES

ultra
02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Been coming here every day since I joined and never had any issues.:)

same goes here never had an issue

ultra stone

Alcides
02-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I live in Argentina, very south. I access daily to the site from my computer at home , at work and from my smartphone without any trouble. Thanks for the good work guys.

Thomas Meek
02-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Thank you for the hard work that you do to keep things running smoothly.

spaceagent-9
02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
thanks for your endeavors and thoughtful service.
jim

flying rasta
02-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I live in Jamaica and i cant ever recall having a problem..and i am very grateful to this site for teaching me a lot.

cheers and One Love

richkat
02-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Thought about it for a while and the only trouble I ever had was one time could not download a model....but that turned out to be my laptop not the site.
I think you guys do a FANTASTIC job here at Papermodelers.......Rick

Vermin_King
02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
The only issue I've had is when I view attached pics. Sometimes it hangs when I try to advance to the next one in the series, but that is rare, so can't complain.

peter taft
02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I run site speeds here in the U.K very often. I think we are one of the top runners speed wise. I test down/uploads, the only time there's a speed issue is down to s/p's running maintenance on their systems, or if PM DOT COM it'self is running crucial updates. We ROCK :cool:

richkat
02-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Just who does run this great site? I know Rick and Peter are part of the team, but who can we thank for keeping us from our boring lives......Rich

rickstef
02-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Jason is the owner and main administrator of the forum.

SJPONeill
02-03-2013, 10:11 PM
No problems from NZ either - totally agree that any such issues with this site are at the user end not the other server side...really appreciate all the time and effort that goes into making PM one of the best modelling sites in any medium...

Simon

Graham
02-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Hi Rickstef,

No problems in Oz...keep up the good work

Dented Rick
02-04-2013, 07:38 AM
I logged in, and now I got a mohawk. Happens every time ;)

Seriously though, keep up the good work Rickstef :)

lisatnp
02-04-2013, 07:49 AM
No problems here either,
been coming on almost everyday since i found you guys.
and yes, a big Thank you for such a great site.!

Cybermac
02-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Hi!

As Peter mentioned, there is no problem with site/forum in UK.

Please carry on with your good work!

All the best!

enrico63
02-04-2013, 09:07 AM
All right here from Italy....no problem:):):)

John Wagenseil
02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for maintaining this site for us. I have the occasional problem with seeing pictures or getting downloads, which is usually easily solved by clearing cookies and site history from browser.

mchale
02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
I am having problems posting pictures when i click on the manage attachments button a blank page comes up and nothing happens please help

rickstef
02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Mike, which browser are you using to do this?

mchale
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Google browser

rickstef
02-07-2013, 12:02 PM
you are doing this on your PC?

3Turner
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Do you have any plug-ins? More specifically Better Pop up Blocker?

Reason is that you will have to "Allow" Papermodelers.com so popups can run. The manage attachment window is in a popup.

mchale
02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I am doing it on my dell windows xp laptop

Jason
02-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Drop me a PM and we will see what we can figure out.

Jason

southwestforests
02-19-2013, 06:20 PM
With there being infinite variables in life, the web, computer machinery, programs, the time and knowledge donated by those who have it is much appreciated.

murphyaa
02-19-2013, 10:09 PM
I've accessed the site from going on 30 different states now, and only had problems in Montana. Of course, I couldn't get an internet connection or cell phone signal anywhere in Montana, so I don't blame the site.

silveroxide
02-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Two years back, I opened an email from another member, It had a virus attached to it and it messed up my system for a while. I had to format and recover my system. Luckily, I have a tendency to save all of my files to my external hard drive so my work was not lost. When my system was recovered, I made a threat search on my hard drive and up to date I have not had any problems. Sometimes, a hiccup can happen from friends who do not know they have a problem with their system. Enjoy and see you all around the forum.

SCEtoAUX
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
A message occasionally shows up that the site requires you wait 8 seconds between reading posts with a countdown showing how many seconds are left in the delay. I sometimes read a new message very fast and it gets annoying when that page pops up.
Is that a requirement for this version of the message board?
"This forum requires that you wait 8 seconds between searches. Please try again in X seconds"

Jason
03-02-2013, 12:10 AM
It is not a requirement of the version of the software we use, but a recommended value to keep someone from attaching the forum by hammering it with searches or such. It just figures that 6 seconds is not long enough for a person to read the page, before moving on to the next page.

Jason

SCEtoAUX
03-02-2013, 07:21 AM
OK. I'll just take and extry sip of coffee. :)

VinceM
03-03-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't come in here every day, but I don't recall any problems when I do. Thank you for your volunteer work in maintaining this site.

Kevin WS
03-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Never had site issues!

Thanks for a great site.

Hope you back it up!

George_Canuck
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I never had an issue with this site. However, have you thought of just starting Facebook group?

rickstef
03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
For those on facebook, check out http://www.facebook.com/papermodelerscom

Rick

firdajan2
03-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Thank you for the hard work that you do to keep things running smoothly.

Too:) I absolutely have any problem with this wonderful site:)

Jan

Gandolf50
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Don't know if this is normal or not or if I don't have enough "POST" credits as of yet, I searched the FAQ's and everything else and saw nothing so...to set up user photo albums.. "clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link" that link does not exist in my users control panel nor anywhere else that I could find....wanted to post a picture of something in progress and don't want to set up an external link to the file.

3Turner
03-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Don't know if this is normal or not or if I don't have enough "POST" credits as of yet, I searched the FAQ's and everything else and saw nothing so...to set up user photo albums.. "clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link" that link does not exist in my users control panel nor anywhere else that I could find....wanted to post a picture of something in progress and don't want to set up an external link to the file.

You can still share a photo by clicking into the Advanced Post editor then clicking on http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/images/editor/attach.gif

In the new window, upload the photo by clicking on browse, find the file and click upload.

Once uploaded, put the cursor where you want the picture, go back to the paperclip and click the arrow next to it. Select the file you uploaded and then click on Submit reply.

salzwedel
03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Still unable to down load anything on my tablet after trying for months.

Papercaptain
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, Salzwedel (it's a town in Germany where I've spent some of my school vacations), the reason for this is, that you have to participate here with several posts, before you can download any of the models in the download section. And don't be too hasty! After having got a download you have to wait for some minutes for trying the next one.
Kind regards, -
Papercaptain

Fishcarver
03-31-2013, 12:32 PM
:)and consider me to be in your hip pocket! I love this site!
Sincerely yours, Jim

Isaac
08-20-2014, 07:19 PM
I noted that the time stamp for this site is GMT+9 ( or so it states ).

I was wondering, where is it located? Country and city please?

Thanks

Isaac

Countries in GMT+9 Time Zone
The following countries use GMT+9 as their Time Zone. NB No Summer Time / Daylight Saving Time is used.

East Timor, Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, West & Central Kalimantan only), Japan, Korea (North) (Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea), Korea (South) (Republic of Korea), Palau

sgoti
08-20-2014, 08:12 PM
I noted that the time stamp for this site is GMT+9 ( or so it states )

The time stamp depends entirely on what your preferences for time zone are set to, and whether or not you have detect DST selected.

Isaac
08-20-2014, 09:01 PM
The time stamp depends entirely on what your preferences for time zone are set to, and whether or not you have detect DST selected.

got it!

I just corrected it for my time zone.:)

Isaac