PDA

View Full Version : Saturn V J2 Engine

Greelt
01-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Hi all,

Soon available on Jonathan Leslie's site, my version of the J2 Engine.

Please remember, all of the nice kits available on Jonathan's site are
"donation ware" so don't be cheap. ;)

Greelt

Lex
01-18-2009, 09:23 AM
This is amazing... The modeling community has much to thank you for your great Saturn series Greelt! May I ask if you'll work your way up till stage 3?

Mechanic
01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Simply increadible! I need to get busy . . .

Greelt
01-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I just updated the files of both the Interstage and the J2 engine to get bigger margins when printing to letter sized paper.
Should work fine now, start shouting when it doesn't :eek:

As always Jonathan Leslie was kind enough to host these files, so if you encounter any problems with the margins please download the modified files again.

Greelt

dwfunk4475
05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I just updated the files of both the Interstage and the J2 engine to get bigger margins when printing to letter sized paper.
Should work fine now, start shouting when it doesn't :eek:

As always Jonathan Leslie was kind enough to host these files, so if you encounter any problems with the margins please download the modified files again.

Greelt

I'm not able to find these . . . can somebody enlighten me on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

-david

jaeike
05-20-2010, 05:22 PM
You can find them on this page: The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous/Other (http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_other.html)

peter taft
05-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Now that's one hell of a sexy engine - another masterpiece from you sir ;) - Thank you :)

KieferRhys
05-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Yep, as with all of Greelts Masterpiece, they are lovely to build, perhaps a little fiddlier than the F-1s, but thats only a size issue.
Only one problem remains - does anyone know a good source for lightweight 13m spheres for the helium tanks, or failing that a technique for modelling balls of that size?

Retired_for_now
05-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Kevin,
Have you checked the bead section in your local craft store? You might need to plug the hole if pierced - but I've used small beads on Leo's Vostok for the tanks.
Yogi

peter taft
05-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Kevin,
Have you checked the bead section in your local craft store? You might need to plug the hole if pierced - but I've used small beads on Leo's Vostok for the tanks.
Yogi

Yogi i should have thought of this too, i got the beads from a local craft shop here for the Saturn V model and Ariane V models {see attachments} I took a digital calliper to get the right size{s} Good craft stores stock many different sizes of these {and at only a few pence/dime }

KieferRhys
05-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Thank you, Peter, Colonel, my local Hobbycraft has managed to source me some 15mm wood beads. Does anyone know how many tank there are on the bottom of the 2nd Stage, as I've heard conflicting versions of 9 or 11, so any clarification would be appreciated

peter taft
05-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Thank you, Peter, Colonel, my local Hobbycraft has managed to source me some 15mm wood beads. Does anyone know how many tank there are on the bottom of the 2nd Stage, as I've heard conflicting versions of 9 or 11, so any clarification would be appreciated

There's a big conflict there for sure... i had 8 in my head and checked around - 8 keeps popping up in the searches - then just when you think 8 must be it.... a niner puts out... YOGI ? H E L P please kind sir :)

Found this: http://heroicrelics.org/info/s-ivb/s-ivb-v-propellant-pressurization.html Hope it helps you !

Retired_for_now
05-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Don't know the answer, but I did a Google on <Saturn V rocket blueprints> and found this:
The Saturn V Clinic (http://www.ricksternbach.com/SatV/Saturn_V_Clinic.html) . Looks like a pretty good place to branch out for more data.
Several additional links in the first 3-4 Google pages looked interesting - not sure if they are primary source material.
You could also PM Dyna-Soar (at Huntsville) and ask if he could get you some photos from the rocket garden.
You should take a look at Sven's archives at ninfinger - Ninfinger Productions: Scale Models (http://www.ninfinger.org/models/models.html) - drop down the page to the email list vault archives and follow that link (quick scan shows some second stage pix in the 2008 files - you probably need to trawl through them more thoroughly).

Hope this helps, Kevin/Peter.

Yogi (ignorant maybe, but a pretty fair data rat)

KieferRhys
05-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the links guys, the problems is that the number of these tanks changed during the program. Given that I'm loosely modelling off Apollo XI, the secondary configuration of 8 tanks is the way to go. Thank you once again guys

merzo
05-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Hello to everyone

I'm sorry I'll send a link to hand in Saturn V S-IVB

This is an incredibly realistic model ..

[Saturn V S-IVB] (http://spacemodels.dk/saturnv/s-ivb/s-ivb.htm)

MERZO

jparenti
05-24-2010, 12:24 AM
I can never find a spherical bead at any of the local stores -- really. It seems incredible to me that I cannot get a simple sphere. I usually have to leave the part out or improvise.
I did find small wooden balls that I can use for some projects, but most of them are upwards of 1/2". This is what i get for living far from metropolitan areas with multiple craft and hobby shops.
I wonder if Greelt will ever complete the project. What he has given us already is wonderful, and I have seen some kit bashes with the other great Apollo hardware models out there, but I really want to see how Greelt's S-IVB will look...

jleslie48
05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
I found ball headed thumbtacks from staples... didn't need any glue either, although I did have to paint them.

Retired_for_now
05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
I've found round (pierced) beads fairly common along with the cylindrical and oval ones (Michaels, I think). You just have to plug (or hide) the holes.

Yogi

mbauer
05-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Yep, as with all of Greelts Masterpiece, they are lovely to build, perhaps a little fiddlier than the F-1s, but thats only a size issue.
Only one problem remains - does anyone know a good source for lightweight 13m spheres for the helium tanks, or failing that a technique for modelling balls of that size?

Here is a PDF of a half sphere. No tabs, etc. but you should be able to scale and make two for a full sphere, the size you need.

Never done a sphere so no instructions, but they are aligned to show reference to each other. This is either a 10" or 10mm dia half sphere. Not sure which, used a program that I haven't used before.

Free to anyone who would like to use it.

Hope it helps!

Mike

jparenti
05-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks mbauer. That's a great resource for me -- I'm always attempting a scratchbuild of something that requires a sphere somewhere. :D

KieferRhys
05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks mbauer. It's amazing the techniques that fellow posters are willing to share.
That being said, I'm still trying to get professional results off of mrm's Launch Escape system latticework tubing solution. Starting to get it though, and once I've mastered that, I'll be able to concentrate on these balls :D

mbauer
05-25-2010, 05:47 PM
You're very welcome!

I've received quite abit of help myself. Great answers to questions, problems I've had. In a small way this is my form of repayment.

Just wish I could post a link to the program I use, but can't find it anywhere. Name of Program is tgen2 once open it says "cone generator by orc".

It was a free download I got years ago from papermodelers II on google groups.