PDA

View Full Version : SF PC Game ~ Freelancer

Gearz
07-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Might as well dive right in and test the water..

This project was an opportunity to test my shiny new printer ~ Cannon ip4300 ~ my first foray into CMYK printing. (btb.. is it just mine/me, or do all four colour printers have difficulty printing 'Reds' ~ they seem to come out shades of brown? its really disappointing *there goes my Radiant VII)

The model below was a multi purpose test build for a series of models I'd like to develop from Freelancer. This particular vessel is a Rheinland 'Valkyrie' heavy Fighter. For those interested here's the wiki link to Freelancer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_%28computer_game%29)

Apart for the obvious ( I really like the design + OK printer.. lets see what you can do!!!) one of the aspects that I wanted to experiment with, was the windows.. Some of the amazing builds I've seen that incorporating clear windows/canopies, has inspired me to try to offer that option for some future models.

From a design point of view, I wanted to keep any build 'clear part option' in the simple basket. So a little modification was necessary on the cockpit. (Unnoticeable unless you were a die hard Freelancer gamer.) The first step was to modify the 3d mesh so that all of the 'Glass Panes' ~ resulting parts, would develop into single patterns, requiring only linear bends ?? clear as mud.??. i.e. no compound curves... Not really a method suitable for realism, but were only talking about spaceships here.. Anyway.. a fairly straight forward step in 3D

The next experiment was a complete disaster.. I thought if a builder didn't want a detailed cockpit but still wanted a cool 'glass effect' what was a method that anyone could use ( kitchen draw philosophy).. Due to my dusty dry environment, I usually give my models a light coat of clear automotive acrylic ~ You can guess where this is going! ~ Applying several coats of acrylic to the 'window' parts just made a goopy mess.. and Yep.. I'm slow on the uptake but it did finally dawn on me ~ Glossy paper...

Fortunaly my printer came with a small sample supply of glossy photo paper..errr.. 6'' x 4'' unfortunaley it was a little to thick ..perhaps 240 gsm ? around 110 ~150 would have been ideal..

So... Win and loss.. The simple pattern idea worked, options to build a full cockpit interior + with clear windows OR using the same patterns printed on gloss paper, you could have a neat glass effect.. To complete the experiment (for this particular model) I applied a texture to the patterns using screen caps from the Game. Sadly the quality of the shot doesn't do it justice, the reflection in the glass is of a Rheinland capitol ship + battle scene and lens flares, wrapped around the front and other side..

The idea still has a few bugs.. Although for a test build, I was pretty happy with the results..
Scale is indeterminate ~ Room for one pilot in the cockpit. Model length 30cm span 28cm

Oh yeah before anyone else points it out.. the funny looking 'spare tyre' thingy on the back is the reactor /power unit

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa227/Gearz7/Freelancer/RheinlandValkyrie1.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa227/Gearz7/Freelancer/RheinlandValkyrie2.jpg

:)

MOS95B
07-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Wow!! Very cool looking!!!

milhistory
07-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Very nice. I guess I should admit that I still play Freelancer...

Marc Niceyard
07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
just in case anybody likes this model... where can he get it?
Is it to download somewhere?

Yooo, this one really rocks, dude!

Paperbeam
07-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Quite a different model Gearz - excellently executed as always!:cool:

Terry

N and Z Old West paper models (free samples) at:http://www.paperbeam.com (http://www.paperbeam.com)

Gearz
07-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks guys ~ yep it is a nice eye candy model, a lot of the Freelancer designs are inspiring. Beautiful texture design as well.

Marc Niceyard ~ Its not available as such. Being a rather.. err.. fringe interest subject, I haven't any short term plans to release it as a kit. Having said that, If any members here would like to build it, I would certainly make it available.

milhistory ~ Wish I could admit it as well.. Believe it or not, I haven't played Freelancer! or more correctly I can't play it.. I'm intimate with a lot of the internal files, Sadly I've never see them doing their thing in game. I'd really like to pick your brains at a later date ~ A lot of the weaponry is a mystery to me ( I can build most of the guns + turrets etc) its just that I have no idea what goes where..i.e. a typical weapon loadout for the Valkyrie? Are your familiar / have you bought / operated this particular ship ?

:confused:

B-Manic
07-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys ~ yep it is a nice eye candy model, a lot of the Freelancer designs are inspiring. Beautiful texture design as well.

Marc Niceyard ~ Its not available as such. Being a rather.. err.. fringe interest subject, I haven't any short term plans to release it as a kit. Having said that, If any members here would like to build it, I would certainly make it available.

milhistory ~ Wish I could admit it as well.. Believe it or not, I haven't played Freelancer! or more correctly I can't play it.. I'm intimate with a lot of the internal files, Sadly I've never see them doing their thing in game. I'd really like to pick your brains at a later date ~ A lot of the weaponry is a mystery to me ( I can build most of the guns + turrets etc) its just that I have no idea what goes where..i.e. a typical weapon loadout for the Valkyrie? Are your familiar / have you bought / operated this particular ship ?

:confused:

Great model and build. The excellent texture adds to the realism.
BTW, I would be very interested in building it. :)

Marc Niceyard
07-29-2007, 10:24 AM
yeah, me too.

ARMORMAN
07-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I'll add my "I want one too" to the rest. Nice Job!

Werner Smuts
07-30-2007, 01:29 AM
I have to admit, i play Freelancer as well. Very nice game....
I love that model. I want all... YES I WANT TO BUILD THEM AS WELL!!!!

Please explain to us how do you extract the models to see them?
To really appreciate the models you should actually see them "WORKING"

NICE!!!!

Please, any test builds..... Where can i apply for the job..... PLEASE! :-D

Gearz
07-30-2007, 08:26 AM
All righty then... It will be a few weeks ~ I still have a some small issues to nut out ~ weapons etc.. then I'll post it as a kit.

Werner ~ if you mean extraction of the 3d models? ~ its a nightmare! I'm a miserable failure at writing any sort of tutorial, so I wouldn't even try to explain the actual steps.. I could build /develop several model in the time it would take to explain it ~ its WAY easier to get stuff INTO Freelancer than it is to extract it.

* You need the registered versions of several programs + an obscure Milkshape plugin that works, BUT its an unfinished work ~ so there is huge chunks of the game that can't be touched.. That includes 'parts' of some vessels.. The game designers used a compound model method, so much of the 3d content is spread, not only in different files, but in different LOD's of the same file. = Jigsaw puzzle ( with missing + blank parts!)

After 18 moths of trial and error, I've got most of the Pioltable ships to a stage where they can be developed into card models + a few larger vessels = the Luxury liner. Sadly many of the capitol ships worthy of development are beyond extraction. ~ Unless Microsoft was willing to part with the original models [ hysterical laughter]
:o

Hot4Darmat
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I want one, too. Plus just add my name to the list for everything else. I never played freelancer, but I like the look of many of the ships from it.

Gearz
09-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Howdy Cousins

Sniff.. I could write a great sob story here.. Suffice to say that life's giving nothing much better than a wet slap it the face at the moment. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that.

In an attempt to get some sort of organization to my offerings before i slip to far off the grid, I've foolhardily (probably) spent my meagre pennies on a permeant home. There's not a great deal of new stuff there at the moment, hopefully it will eventually house a lot of the half finished projects that I've got buried in sub sub sub DIR's.. Anyway even a WIP home is better than none..

The Freelancer Project is still being developed thanks to the assistance of a new designer recruit. Its kind of messy at the moment, but there will still be some action there for a while, so the Valkyre model ++ will be available soon-ish.

Hope you all have plenty of sunny dayz.

For those interested in SF models ~

A NEW PLACE IN SPACE (http://gearz.id.au/)

:)

Marc Niceyard
09-03-2007, 11:52 PM
My washing machine broke down and my bike was stolen this week, so you're not the only one with bad stories... but good news is, life goes on. :-)

Very kewl site you linked. Just a good load of models and some views for the future. I hope we are going to see more nice ones of your design.
Keep up the good work.

Mauiman
07-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I would love to see the Eagle being made.