PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush ink or acryllic to re-color / recolor

Hathaway Veteran
05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
One of many burning questions I have is what to do about physically re-coloring a printed model. Please note, I don't want to scan, change color and re-print (I probably should want this, but...). Therefore, does anyone have any experience changing a printed models color by airbrushing inks or acryllics? Then does anyone know if acryllics once dry alter the paper's bendablity?
Lastly, if acryllic or ink hide any panel or cut lines, has anyone done any re-inking of the printed lines, like with a Rapidograf?

Here is where all this is going: I have a He-177 that has a dorky red rudder, which I need to eliminate, plus add some additional detail. I also have a Halinski(?) He-219 the whole of which has dorky coloring. I want to redo the whole colors. Please excuse the use of "dorky", but hey, I know what the real ones looked like.

Comments appreciated.

Miles Linnabery
05-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Dear Hathaway Vet:
First try things out of simple fast models, Scale cubes come to mind, see the toy section of the downloads. Most people will paint a completed model first using an artist sealer then paint it like a Plastic Kit. Most of the painted models I have seen have been tanks with individual pannels. Airplanes you might have to scribe the pannel lines before cutting.
Good Luck,
MILES