PDA

View Full Version : Zimmerit question(s)

modelperry
01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Since I've been exploring military subjects lately, I've come up with a question:

How is zimmerit done by the main publishers. Is it printed or embossed in the paper or just ignored? I have tended to shy away from German subjects because of this.

Regards,

Greg

rickstef
01-28-2009, 03:56 PM
the ones i have seen, have been printed

CharlieC
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Since I've been exploring military subjects lately, I've come up with a question:

How is zimmerit done by the main publishers. Is it printed or embossed in the paper or just ignored? I have tended to shy away from German subjects because of this.

Regards,

Greg

GPM has supplied sheets of embossed card to model Zimmerit. The GPM Pz IVH certainly comes with emboosed parts.

Zimmerit was only applied from August 1943 to September 1944 so there's a lot of model subjects which shouldn't have it.

Regards,

Charlie

Don Boose
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Charlie C wrote: "The GPM Pz IVH certainly comes with emboosed parts."

"Emboosed parts" has to be my favorite typo of the day, Charlie.

Don Boose

CharlieC
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Indeed - teach me to mail before my second cup of coffee.

Now consciousness has resumed (or what I think is consciousness) ........

I notice my plastic friends in AMMS Brisbane either avoid Zimmerit subjects or use after market stick on sheets of varying quality to emulate it. I do notice that the attempts to do Zimmerit in 1/35 often look to have too much surface relief to my eye. Personally, I like the the trompe l'oeil approach used by some cardmodels - a fooled brain is much better at perceiving appropriate surface relief than seeing a ridged plastic sheet.

Regards,

Charlie

KCStephens
01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Greg,

I have had this model on my list of things to do for a while. It's a really quite a beautiful model, the printing is outstanding, the textures and weathering are very life like. It's one of the best that I've seen.

The zimmerit parts for this model are offered two ways;
First, printed throughout the book on regular "smooth" paper with all of the other parts (see the second attachment below) and also, printed together on a single sheet of heavier textured embossed stock (see the first attachment below).

There is no reason to shy away from this, it goes together just like any other paper model. The only difference is that the paper has a slight texture to it. I'd love to see your build. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

CharlieC
01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
The GPM Jagdpanther also has a textured sheet but my copy of the Brummbar doesn't. I haven't seen the GPM Tiger I, I don't know whether that has textured parts or not.

Regards,

Charlie

dansls1
01-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Charlie C wrote: "The GPM Pz IVH certainly comes with emboosed parts."

"Emboosed parts" has to be my favorite typo of the day, Charlie.

Don Boose

So what exactly constitutes an 'emboosed' part? :D

willygoat
01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
I think it means that the part in question has to contain some sort of image of Boosed himself. Kinda like the face of Mary in tortilla or something like that.:p

KCStephens
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Before emboosing :),after emboosed :D

rickstef
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
and rimshots heard all over the place

willygoat
01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Impressive Don! That was a quick turn around on that one :D

Jim Nunn
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
The GPM Jagdpanther also has a textured sheet but my copy of the Brummbar doesn't. I haven't seen the GPM Tiger I, I don't know whether that has textured parts or not.

Regards,

Charlie

The copy of the GPM Brummbar I have did have the Zimmerit sheets. I was told that the GPM Wittmann Tiger did not have the textured sheets.

I agree with Charlie the 1/35 scale modelers seem to over do it. The “emboosed” paper looks great when finished. Don, Charlie Sorry about that I just couldn’t pass that up.

Jim Nunn

CharlieC
01-28-2009, 11:40 PM
I wasn't aware that the British tested Zimmerit on Churchills but decided not to apply it to operational vehicles - that might make an interesting model. Unfortunately there's only the old Flymodel Churchill in 1/25.

There's an image of a zimmerited Churchill at http://www.ww2f.com/information-requests/15365-zimmerit-paste-magnetic-mines.html (scroll down a bit).

Regards,

Charlie

modelperry
01-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Reading all these responses to my question is both informative and entertaining. Learning about the art of "emboosing" gave me a good (needed) laugh.:D

Thanks,

Greg

John Griffin
01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
If you want to make your own to print out, the easiest way to add the texture would be in Photoshop- with an overlay layer using an 'emboss' or 'bevel' blending effect to give the illusion of depth via lit edges and cast shadows.

CharlieC
01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
It pays to do some research on matching the zimmerit pattern to the vehicle - I've noticed the plastic people often have an encyclopedic knowledge of zimmerit and pick up if the wrong pattern is used. Different factories used quite different patterns of zimmerit application. There's a summary of the patterns and the vehicles the patterns applied to is here: Zimmerit (http://www.panzerworld.net/zimmerit).

Regards,

Charlie