PDA

View Full Version : Second OTDAEBT Contest!

dansls1
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
After last years contest spurred a whirlwind of build threads, frustration at hand-drawn and mis-colored parts on paper of questionable quality, and eventually some really cool models - Toddlea has decided to organize round 2! Here (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/current-contests-competitions-challenges/2464-otdaebt-revisited-2.html#post33226) is a link to his thread - but the general idea is to build an original printed Maly Modelarz kit from 2000 or earlier (pre-computer drawn kits).
Last years winners were:
First Place - cjwalas and his Westland Lysander

Second Place - boosed and his Handley-Page Hampden

Third Place - dansls1 and his Bristol Beaufort

IMHO Chris (cjwalas) could have swept all three top spots - he got pretty involved in clearing out his build pile and put up some really nice models.
As of yet, prizes are to be determined - but the spirit is really to get the build threads out there - so hop to it! When else will you get a chance to clear out some of these vintage kits from your collection?
Happy Modeling!

Don Boose
02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Frankly speaking, there were a LOT of models produced in that contest that were infinitely superior to my Hampden, so there were clearly other factors (sympathy?) at play. But Chris's Lysander was IMHO the right choice for the top spot. He did some truly innovative engineering on the complex fuselage-wing structure and the final result looked like a dead ringer for the full-sized Lizzie in the Imperial War Museum.

Your Beaufort was a mighty fine model, as well. I was really honored just to be in the competition and floored when the Hampden made the top three.

The whole contest was great fun and I looked forward every day to checking in on all the build threads and banter, as well as the outstanding craft displayed.

Kudos to Toddlea for initiating round two. There are a lot of good builds already going on (most of the usual suspects seem to have rounded themselves up) and I encourage others to jump in.

Don

Gharbad
02-02-2009, 12:35 PM
You just can't underestimate the awesomeness of a Hampden, Don.

cjwalas
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
You just can't underestimate the awesomeness of a Hampden, Don.

I'll second that. I still need to hone my recoloring skills before I attempt the Hampton. I even bought the Super Model version, but it looks like a horrible kit. I was secretly jealous of the Hampton/Beaufort builds...well, maybe not so secretly!
How can there be winners in a contest like this? The kits were all so different and the problems were unique to each. I was honored to win first place, but the real reward was building a model I didn't think I could build. It was a great feeling working alongside (digitally, anyway) such a great group of guys. I look forward to this contest and urge anyone and everyone to give it a go. The mutual support is worth the price of admission alone!
Chris

Yu Gyokubun
02-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Its interesting to follow how you guys deal with hand drawn old kits

Cheers,

cardmodeler
02-14-2009, 09:47 PM
This looks like fun. If I can figure out how to post pics I might give it a go...

dansls1
02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Quick guide to posting pic's - click on the 'manage attachments' button down below where you type a post (you have to 'go advanced if replying, but it will be there automatically on a new post). Once there, use the 'browse' to find the files then 'upload' to upload them. They will be there in your post when you send it. Pic's can't be too big. Look forward to seeing more entries ;)

rickstef
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Tony,

I initially fixed your post, to show both covers.

to post a picture from an external site, all you need is

url of image

the problem with the online sites, they give you alot of code, and they can get confusing

any questions, just ask

Rick

dovbear
02-16-2009, 09:11 AM
The contest sounds really great, but how does a newbie such as myself get one of the older kits...that is other than being fleeced by that auction site....

cjwalas
02-16-2009, 09:15 AM
The Papermodelstore carries a good line of out of print MM kits.
Paper Model Store (http://www.papermodelstore.com/)
Look under manufacturers on the left side and choose Maly out of print. Krys's service is the best.
Chris

dansls1
02-16-2009, 09:19 AM
www.moduni.de (http://www.moduni.de) has a couple for sure that fit the contest bill - Albatros D III Ausgabe 9/96 1:33 - Maly Modelarz (http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/970137/products_id/1379609) and RWD-4 / RWD-5 1:33 - Maly Modelarz (http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/970137/products_id/1379612). I've never ordered from them myself, but I've heard good things.

zachy
02-21-2009, 09:53 PM
My cousin in Klon says she has a copy of Maty Modelarts 1971 I 153 biplane. She says it's coming apart but I was thinking of getting it and trying to get a good copy. I am calling now. I'll send pictures as soon as I have it.