PDA

View Full Version : Draf Model Forelle Submarine

cjwalas
02-02-2009, 11:34 PM
A quick (too quick!) build of the Draf Model "FORELLE", the 1903 grandfather of the German U-boat. Really, it's more of a build report as I did this one last month and just didn't have the time to post!
The model is 1/50 scale, which seemed a little small to me, so I upscaled it to somewhere around 1/32. The original is printed on high-quality, glossy stock and comes with laser cut formers. Very nice.
Now I have to say here and now that I made a big boo-boo. I built the main hull in the light of the TV set. What I couldn't see there, but which shows up all too well in the flash, is that the hull sections do not align according to the seam! This was my mistake. I assumed it was like all the planes I'd done where the sections all have the seam along the bottom. Doh! This kit hides some of the seams behind the torpedo tubes on the side and under the deck. There are subtle outlines to align the pieces accordingly (which I could not see in the dim light). Fortunately, I had planned to paint this kit anyway. I had originally planned to accent each rivet with a spot of glue, but in the few photos I could find of the real sub, there was no hint of a rivet anywhere.
The main hull is a series of conical tubes, very similar to most airplane kits. The fit was excellent on the hull, with one exception. I believe it was piece number 7. It was too small. Now I may have gotten something wrong, but I did test fit and double check the piece before assembling. So there is about a 1/16" gap between this and the next piece.
The exterior torpedo tubes assemble well and the fit is very good. The fins, rudders, deck, etc, are straightforward as well. The kit has printed pale blue portholes which I chose to cut out and glaze with drops of glue instead.
I haven't finished painting it yet, just a coat of black and a little drybrush to define some form;
An enjoyable build, with the exception of the one piece that didn't fit. The Forelle ("trout") is an interesting looking sub and should look fine sitting next to a few more sub models....better get to them soon!
Chris

B-Manic
02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
That is a very interesting subject. I was unaware of this kit. It has a real steampunk appeal to it, very nice.

whulsey
02-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Neat looking sub. It does have that touch of steampunk to it.

Don Boose
02-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I had never heard of this submarine before. Definitely Jules Vernish.

Nice job on the model!

Don

Oliver Bizer
02-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Great model :eek:
I like it.
Many thanks for the pictures :)
Regards
Olli

treadhead1952
02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Pretty good job on some historic German unterseeboot iron. The kit has some definite appeal, sizing it up a notch was a good choice to show off the lines a little better.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Florida Diver
09-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi cjwalas (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/members/cjwalas.html).

Did you get either one of the two private messages I sent to you?

rmks2000
09-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Florida Diver

If you're interested in the model, it's available at papermodelstore.com.

Florida Diver
09-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Florida Diver

If you're interested in the model, it's available at papermodelstore.com.

Thanks rmks2000.

Damraska
09-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Cool model. I definitely need to pick up a copy.

-Doug