PDA

View Full Version : Angraf Gaz AA

modelperry
02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
It's been a while since I have posted any of my current works in progress, so here are a couple of photos. I'm too far along for a build thread but will try to highlight a few things I've encountered thus far.

There are a few inner parts of the wheels missing which I caught before cutting, so I just photocopied some extras.

I've had to paint quite a bit of the parts, especially the frame and wheels.

The engine required some trimming to fit in the engine bay at the right position.

Enjoy,

Greg

willygoat
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
That's quite the build. looks great Greg!

dansls1
02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Very nice! I'm especially impressed with both the tires and the curves on the fenders. Excellent job!

Papercut
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
You have done a great job on this and I have looked at this truck and I will watch to see how she turns out. If you have a train store close by, check to see if they have MV Lens. You get the large size and you have perfect headlights w/clear lens.

modelperry
02-09-2009, 06:35 AM
I have an excellent train store near me: Mainline Hobbies, Blue Ridge Summit, PA. I get most of my styrene and brass stock from there, I'll have a look for the MV lenses.

Greg

modelperry
02-12-2009, 06:39 AM
I've finished the cab and am now working on the bed. The cab was a bit of a challenge to get everything lined up. I'm glad I have a close color match (gunze sangyo olive drab) to hid the major "white flaws".

I've had to use my photocopying skills again for the reinforcement strips on the floor of the bed, needed 4 but only got 3. The color is off a little bit but not enought to worry about.

Here are some more pictures.

Greg

Papercut
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I LIKE:D. Don't you just love the simple look to Soviet equipment. While in the military, the USSR was the bad guys we trained for if they came thru the Fulda Gap. Was continually told how inferior their equipment was compared to ours, would learn many years later, not so, just was not as complicated as ours, but still just as deadly.:eek: They built their equipment on the KISS principle. Like this build so much, might add one to my collection.

modelperry
02-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Almost done. Only have the headlights, bumper, horn and spare tire rack to go on the truck. There are some barrels and boxes to make for the bed.

I decided against installing the benches and tarp covering in the bed.

One of my modeling buddies asked me what the markings represented. I didn't know (and still am not 100% sure), but I think they were to represent a truck used in the "Road of Life" ice road over Lake Lagoda. This was the only way to get supplies into and people out of Leningrad during the German seige of that city.

Greg

CharlieC
02-13-2009, 07:25 AM
One of my modeling buddies asked me what the markings represented. I didn't know (and still am not 100% sure), but I think they were to represent a truck used in the "Road of Life" ice road over Lake Lagoda. This was the only way to get supplies into and people out of Leningrad during the German seige of that city.

Greg

I think the vehicles used on Lake Lagoda would have been whitewashed to blend in with the lake surface.

Regards,

Charlie

Papercut
02-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Regardless of what it was used for, the build is excellent. Just want you to know besides facts, it is the build that counts. Modelperry, you go boy.:D Rick

modelperry
02-14-2009, 03:46 PM
The truck is finished!!!

When building the headlights, I used some adhesive "rain drops" obtained from a craft store that are used for scrapbooking. They do have some tint to them but it gives the lights some character, I think. Also I can still see the printed headlight pattern through them.

Some parting thoughts:

I wanted to try an Angraf kit for awhile now and thought this one would be a good one to start with. All in all in fit pretty decent with only a few hiccups.

The one thing I found a little frustrating was that some of the parts didn't have enough to build all the multiple assemblies. I had to do some photocopying of some tire and bed parts so I would have enough parts to build it as instructed. Not a big deal if you catch it in time, big problem if you don't.

Overall I really enjoyed this build and would recommend it to those with some experience. I think a newbie would get frustrated with it.

In regards to research, I find myself doing more and more of it, but I'm not always inclined to learn everything about a subject. I hit a few walls when researching the markings on this one and made some educated guesses. If I'm not right that's OK, I just wanted to get some idea as to what this truck might have been used for.

Greg

dansls1
02-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Excellent model!

redhorse
02-14-2009, 04:28 PM
That's a great looking model! I'm glad you built an Angraf, I have a few of them and was getting nervous about ever building when the only build threads I've seen have been on the Famo and it's famous fit problems. Good to see this one came out so well!

Gharbad
02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Looking great! I really like all the random cargo, barrels are always fun.

whulsey
02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I've got that one in the to build pile. Thanks for the heads up on a couple of things to watch for and setting a high standard for me to shoot at.

modelperry
02-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging and positive feedback. I really appreciate it!:)

Now on to the next project.....

Greg

Don Boose
02-15-2009, 10:32 AM
An excellent truck model. Thanks for sharing your model and your building techniques.

Don