PDA

View Full Version : EGV Berlin - HMV, 1:250

Chaldane
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

I’ve decided to try doing my first build report. I usually never show any of my projects before they’re completed, but I have a terrible habit of setting down a project and never coming back to it. :o My hope is that by having a build report going it would guilt me into finishing what I start!

So, the ship I will be building is the HMV 1:250 scale Berlin. I was anxiously awaiting the release of this kit for the past couple years and kept getting disappointed when the release date kept being pushed back time and again. Finally it was available so I ordered it as soon as I could, along with the photo etched set.

According to Wikipedia, “The Berlin class are the largest vessels of the Deutsche Marine (German Navy). In German, this type of ship is called Einsatzgruppenversorger which can be translated as task force supplier though the official translation in English is combat support ship, or in military parlance, a replenishment oiler.”

I’ve always had a soft spot for naval auxiliary vessels and I think this ship in particular just looks great. (Now if someone would do 1/250 scale kits of the USS Anchorage LSD-36, USS Newport LST-1179, USS Cimmarron AO-177, etc...)

The printing of this kit is just amazing! The paper quality is also noteworthy. It almost seems a shame to pull the pages out of the book to build it.

As a final disclaimer on my part, I have some other previous commitments coming up so I won’t be able to build much at all after this week, but we’ll see how it goes.

Anyway, time to get started

Here's the obligatory shot of the cover and the base parts glued together and spot glued to a scrap piece of countertop.

Corbin

ct ertz
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Good start! Good luck with it.

Papercut
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Welcome aboard. I am looking forward to your build thread. You have already peeked my interest with tack gluing the bottom of the ship to the countertop:cool:.

B-Manic
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
The HMV kits are very nice. I look forward to seeing your build progress. All in due time of course.

redhorse
02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
I’ve decided to try doing my first build report. I usually never show any of my projects before they’re completed, but I have a terrible habit of setting down a project and never coming back to it. :o My hope is that by having a build report going it would guilt me into finishing what I start!

I know build threads really help me finish my projects. This one looks very interesting, looking forward to it.

docrox
02-18-2009, 03:07 AM
Manfred Krueger presented his not yet completed control build of the EGV last year at the exhibition in Mainz.

Hans Gerd

Chaldane
02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for posting the photos. That looks really nice. I was hoping to see one of these kits built up, or close to it, but couldn't find anything on the web. I have a long road ahead of me! Those Seaking helicopters are amazing little kits by themselves.

Cheers, Corbin

Chaldane
02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well, I succeeded in totaly ignoring everything I was supposed to be doing yesterday and had a marathon building session! :) I have all the internal framework done now. I’m amazed at the extensive framework in this thing. It will be bomb-proof once the hull is complete!

My build is going to slow down quite a bit now because I have several other pressing obligations, but I’ll post what I can, when I get anything done.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Nice work on that frame. Very impressive. What is the length?
Mike

treadhead1952
02-19-2009, 08:05 AM
I second that, looks like it is a pretty happening foundation for what is to follow. Looking forward to watching this beastie come together.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Don Boose
02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
That is an outstanding hull frame up.

Looks like this will be a very interesting build.

Don

Chaldane
02-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Just a small update today. I have the lower deck on now. Next I'll be working on the superstructure sides.

I was asked about the size of this model - it's 27.36 inches (697mm) long, with a beam of about 3.8125 inches. It's quite a large ship!

I'd have a little more done, but I wanted to take the uncovered framework to the local model club meeting last night. I'm always trying to get others here to try building a paper model. So far the best I've done is convince one of the guys to order a couple, but he ended up giving them to me because he thought they looked too difficult! I'll keep trying though. :)

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes, that is a good sized model. Everything looks straight and clean after installing that large section of deck. Good luck with your local model club. Usually the finished models tend to sell themselves. People see them, and they get the urge to give it a try.
Mike

Don Boose
02-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Nice, clean work on that deck!

Don

treadhead1952
02-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah, thats' the ticket, convince the other guys to order them and once they see just what is involved in making one come together they give them to you. ;) :D

Seriously, from what I am learning here on the site convinces me that I am glad to have had years of experience in styrene modeling just to be able to tackle my first card model. It is unfortunate that your buddy gave up so easily, once you get started it is far more interesting to craft one of these together than tossing a styrene job in a bag, shaking it and having a model come out IMHO.

Nice clean start on the decks for your Berlin.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Chaldane
02-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the compliments and encouragement.

My next step is the portholes. As printed, they look fine, but on the actual ship they are recessed from the face of the wall. Optional parts are included to do this, but I didn’t have a hole punch that was the right size. One was a little too small, the other was a little too big (of course).

I know many of you out there already know this trick, but I thought I’d add it in here for the sake of any who haven’t done this.
Here is what I am doing for the portholes:
Step 1: Start a hole with a sharp pin pushed in from the printed side.
Step 2: Enlarge the hole to the needed size with a round toothpick - again pushing from the printed side. I twirl it as I go to keep the hole round.
Step 3: Using a NEW razor blade, slice off the protruding paper from the back side by sliding it along the surface of the paper.
Step 4: Use the toothpick again to make sure the hole in nice and clean.
Voila! It actually goes fairly quickly and I get just the right size hole.

Next, a shallow tube is rolled and glued to the front of the new porthole. The assembled tube/porthole is then glued to the back side of the wall. It doesn’t show up as well in photos as it does in person, but it IS an improvement over the 2 dimensional printed version. I’ll probably try putting on a drop of clear gloss acrylic to give the porthole some shine.

Cheers, Corbin

birder
02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
That looks very good to me!

B-Manic
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Looking good Corbin. Great tip!

Michael Mash
02-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Nice technique on those portholes. It is an idea I have not seen before. The finished product looks good.
Mike

Don Boose
02-23-2009, 07:43 AM
An excellent, systematic, well-illustrated, and useful tutorial.

Don

redhorse
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
These look great! Tedious, but the results are worth it.

treadhead1952
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Corbin,

Excellent mini tutorial and a timely subject for me, thanks.

Art Deco
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I love your porthole technique - easy & straightforward, but with precise, good-looking results. Nice photo-documentation as well! Great work!

Chaldane
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Hello Everyone,

I’ve been slowly working away on this. These walls took a lot longer than I would have expected, plus I have several other projects that take their share of my time. Lots of small parts that you don’t notice unless you look closely - doors, vents, portholes, etc... The starboard side alone has 77 separate pieces! They say the devil is in the details, but these tiny details are what makes this kit worthwhile for me.

Cheers, Corbin

Don Boose
02-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Yes, there is an enormous amount of detail along those deceptively simple-looking bulkheads! You certainly do have an enviable skill, Corbin. It's an excellent build.

Don

B-Manic
02-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice work Corbin. Very clean and neat. I was curious when do yo put your hull sides on?

redhorse
02-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Ohh! This looks really good - the details I think will make her a real stand out.

Chaldane
02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

My next step will be the hull sides. I'm a little nervous about that because there are some complex shapes to match up on the bow and stern.

Today is entry day for our local model club's annual show, so I'll be busy there. They actually have a paper model category - I'll be entering my DF370 snow groomer (I have photos of that in the gallery).

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Those doors, vents, portholes, etc... are looking real sharp! They show up nicely in the images. I'm enjoying watching your build.
Mike

Papercut
03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I am a HMV fan, even though you have to order from over the big pond since PMI is selling out as we speak, for anyone that is interested, any order over $100.00 is cut in 1/2. Kits are flying out the door. Now back to this most wonderful attention to detail build. You are building in a style I really like to see, cleanly. I will watch this thread until finished, am very interested in how she turns out. Keep up the good work.:D Was blown away by the photo's you posted of this ship. From what I see, yours looks as if it too will be a head turner.

Chaldane
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Hello Everyone,

I’ve been feeling bad for not having anything new to post for some time - I’ve had a lot of other projects going on.

My next step on the Berlin is the hull sides (my least favorite part). I tried something new with the portholes. I glued a small piece of acetate on the face of the porthole before gluing on the short tube that insets the porthole. In the right light it gives a good effect of glass and is smoother than the clear acrylic paint I tried with the first portholes (see arrow on photo). I opened all the scuppers and I used the alternate 3-dimensional parts for the hawse holes.

Since this main part of the hull side is a straight, flat piece it wasn’t too much trouble. I’m a little apprehensive about the other compound curved parts that come next. Stay tuned...

Cheers, Corbin

B-Manic
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Looks like you are making good progress. A very nice clean build.

Michael Mash
03-13-2009, 03:07 PM
This is looking real straight and neat. Bravo. It appears to me as if you have developed some reliable techniques.
Mike

Chaldane
03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone for all the kind words. The fact the everything with this kit has fit so well (so far) has really helped with my construction.

I finally got around to finishing the hull. :D I was more than just a little apprehensive because of the curves that needed to match up, but in the end it didn’t turn out TOO terribly. I’m not completely happy with it, but it’s acceptable and now I can move on. Now that the hull is finished, I removed it from the board it was attached to which will make it much easier to handle. I’m looking forward to all the deck fittings that come next.

Cheers, Corbin

birder
03-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Very clean work!!

Barry
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
great looking hull, joint looks perfect.

Papercut
03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Very clean build, that is a sign of someone who has an eye for details. I really like the porthole trick, the glass is recessed in the hull giving a true protypical effect. Your hull is straight and flat, I too like waterline, but I usually remove from building platform once the main deck goes on. I have enjoyed your thread and like your techniques.:D Rick

redhorse
03-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm looking forward to the deck fittings too! It looks great so far.

Michael Mash
03-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Very very nice technique. Everything looks like it fit together perfectly. Nice curve on that bow. I am enjoying watching Berlin take shape.
Mike

Don Boose
03-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Yes. That is one sweet hull. An excellent build!

Don

Chaldane
03-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here’s my latest progress - lockers, winches and bollards. The two winches were much more time consuming than I thought they would be. The larger winch has 34 pieces and the smaller one has 30! (BTW, a U.S. one cent coin is 19.05 mm in diameter - a Euro one cent coin is 16.25 mm.) The sad thing is that once the main deck is on, all the details on the lower deck will be almost impossible to see! I’ll know it’s there though, and it’ll be a good surprise for anyone who happens to stick an endoscope in there! ;)

I won’t be able to do any more work on the kit this week - I’m going down to Seattle tomorrow morning for my daughter’s graduation from the Art Institute there. At least I’m SUPPOSED to be going - the @#$% volcano (Mt. Redoubt) erupted last night and flights into and out of here are currently on hold. :mad: Words can’t describe how disappointed I’ll be if I have to miss her graduation. Also, it will be the first time in several years that my three children have been in the same place at the same time. Keep your fingers crossed!

Cheers, Corbin

treadhead1952
03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Excellent work on the tiny fiddly stuff there Corbin, even if nobody gets to see much of it.

Hope you get to make it for the graduation.

Don Boose
03-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Superb details!

Don

redhorse
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Very impressive work! Good luck with your flight.

Papercut
03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Looking good, hope you get to your daughter's graduation.:DRick

APA-168
03-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Looks fantastic, and I love the subject matter, its not often you see these types of ships built. I love these EGVs, they're quite good looking. Hope you get to the graduation all right!

Papercut
03-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I wished we could purchase HMV kits here in the US, w/PMI gone, the only way to get is order from Europe! The postage hurts and keeps me from ordering, but for the guys that like the 1/250 scale waterlines, these are the top of the food chain. What will you mount too after finishing this great looking ship.:DRick

Michael Mash
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Terrific work on those winches. I would not have belived they were that small until you put the coin into the picture.
Mike

Chaldane
04-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well, I made it back safe and sound from Seattle! It was great seeing my daughter graduate, plus having all three of my daughters there was awesome! :D My flight back was cancelled due to the volcano erupting so I was able to spend a couple extra days with my daughter after everyone else left. All in all, a great trip.

Progress on the Berlin has been slow to say the least. There are 24 tiny items that I’m guessing are some kind of ventilators. Lots of small folding and tubes. They add nicely to the deck clutter even though they will be virtually impossible to see once the upper deck is on. I also added on a couple hose reels, some small ventilators made from telephone wire, and the beginning of the supports for the upper deck.

Until next time...

Cheers, Corbin

Don Boose
04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
They definitely look like ventilators of some kind. Your execution is very precise and clean. The deck clutter is excellent.

Don

Wilfried
04-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Hello Corbin,

a nice and clean build of the EGV; you can feel the more than 6 years of research and cnstruction in it ... :)
Last year I spend one day at the naval base Wilhelmshaven; I attached some pics ... maybe they are helpful?

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Chaldane
04-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Hello Wilfied,

Thank you VERY much for the excellent photos! They will definitely be helpful!

Best Regards, Corbin

Michael Mash
04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
By the looks of this superstructure in Wilfried's photos, you have some major work ahead of you. This member will be watching with interest.
Mike

Chaldane
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
By the looks of this superstructure in Wilfried's photos, you have some major work ahead of you.

Yes, I agree! Every time I look at what I have done so far, the term "tip of the iceberg" comes to mind! I'm enjoying every minute though.

Cheers, Corbin

Chaldane
04-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

Construction continues slowly but surely. All the deck fittings on the lower deck are now on followed by the supports for the upper deck. All those supports add an amazing amount on rigidness to the upper hull sides. When I was cutting the supports out, I left the cross pieces long just in case. I’m glad I did, as they all needed a little extra length to reach across. Most were only about 1/2 mm or so, but the ones where the hull side is inset for the gangways needed about 2 mm extra! I think these parts are actually designed incorrectly which surprises me since this kit is so well engineered. At least it’s a small and easily remedied glitch. The next step will be attaching the main deck.

Cheers, Corbin

Papercut
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
:DI look with glee to see if you have posted a new report of your progress. I am just stunned at this beauty.:)Rick

Chaldane
04-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks Rick. I'm glad you like the build so far. :o I'd like to be able to post more often, but I just have too many irons in the fire.

I'm looking forward to seeing you build the Indianapolis (if you decide to) - one of my favorites, but such a tragic story.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
This is a complex looking build. It really shows your fine skills.
Mike

Wilfried
04-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Nice build, Corbin;

I'm always happy to see clear pics like yours from the progress! The model itself looks outstanding ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Chaldane
05-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Hello Again,

Finally! I have some progress to share. :D The main deck is on as are some of the smaller details at the bow. I know it doesn’t look like much, but I wanted to be extra careful attaching the deck and only had about 15 minutes a day to work on it during the past month. Now the only way to see the detail on the lower deck is with a flashlight, but I’m glad it’s there. :cool: I’m also that glad this major step is done so now I can move on to construction of the main superstructure.

Cheers, Corbin

Papercut
05-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Hello Again,

Finally! I have some progress to share. :D The main deck is on as are some of the smaller details at the bow. I know it doesn’t look like much, but I wanted to be extra careful attaching the deck and only had about 15 minutes a day to work on it during the past month. Now the only way to see the detail on the lower deck is with a flashlight, but I’m glad it’s there. :cool: I’m also that glad this major step is done so now I can move on to construction of the main superstructure.

Cheers, CorbinGlad to see you still working on her, the cap rail along the top edge of the ships front hull is just over the top. Took a steady hand and eye to get that on that clean and straight. I strive to build just as I see you doing, clean and no glue slopped everywhere. Looking forward to your next post. Cheers:DRick

Barry
05-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Fantastic detail work

B-Manic
05-26-2009, 07:13 AM
It is a shame that all that work is covered up. I look forward to seeing the upper-deck structure come together.

Michael Mash
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Good to see this one again. It all seems to fit together like a Swiss watch.
Mike

Chaldane
06-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Hello Everyone,

Remember me? Progress on the Berlin has (as usual) been very slow. One of my daughters is here for the summer and our activities are keeping me away from my modelling desk. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make though. :)

Anyway, here’s the latest. The main superstructure is built as a separate assembly and will be attached to the hull as one of the final steps. It makes contruction much more convenient! I spot glued the base to a thick (1/2") piece of glass to keep it nice and flat until I get the sides and a deck or two attached. The first two photos were taken a couple weeks ago before I had the sides attached and the other three were taken this morning. The next steps will be the hanger interior. There is the option of having the hanger door closed, but I’ll definitely have mine open. There’s going to be some nice detailing in there.

Until next time...

Cheers, Corbin

Wilfried
06-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Hello Corbin,

missed, but nor forgotten! Family has always the 1st priority - using the heavy glass plate - I can always recommend a stable platform - the result after using it speaks for itself ... all thumbs high for your next step ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Michael Mash
06-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Nice technique with that glass plate. That will keep it straight!
Mike

Chaldane
06-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here’s a short update on the latest progress. This is the lower level of the hanger. Eventually this will be home to a Seaking or two.

The second level is next...

Cheers, Corbin

redhorse
06-29-2009, 12:05 AM
That's stunning work there. Good to see another update and glad you're able to spend some time with your daughter!

Chaldane
07-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

I know don't always say it, but everyone's compliments are very much appreciated.

Here's another short update. I have the first deck level on and the second level of the hanger finished. The hanger door is large enough that most of the detail will still be easily visible after the roof is on.

My daughter and I went south of town yesterday and played around on the snow at Byron Glacier. :cool: Always a good time.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
07-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Exquisite work on that hanger .............. and on that Alaskan Glacier!
Nuje

Chaldane
07-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here’s my latest progress. I’ve only been able to work on it for about a half hour a day so it’s been slow going. the first image is the detail on the roof of the hangar. I used acetate for the windows of the controler’s station that will overlook the helipad. Anyone with a flashlight will be able to see the chair and other details in there. The walls are on the second level - next will be some railings and other details before the next higher deck gets put on. Going up!

Also, here are a few photos to show why I’ve had such limited time for model building. My daughter and I have been enjoying the nice summer weather here as much as possible - kayaking, gold panning, motorcycle riding, etc... :D

Cheers, Corbin

Barry
07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Fascinating build

Michael Mash
07-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I always enjoy your updates showing that clean precision work. And the Alaskan wilderness shots are not bad either!
Mike

Greg S.
07-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Sounds like you're doing a good job as a Dad! & nice work on the model, too.

Papercut
07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow, live in one of the last Great Frontiers, on a lazy summer day, go out and play in the water, then pan for gold! To cool of take a ride on that Italian Steed. Being a good dad, and a master builder. You got it go'in on bro. I for one look forward to anything you build.:DRick

Chaldane
08-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Greetings,

Yes, it was great fun having my youngest daughter here for the summer. She's now back with her mother down in New Mexico. :( My oldest daughter who graduated college in March just moved back home though so I'll still have someone else to do outdoor activities with. :)

Anyway - not as much progress as I was hoping to show, but I figure a small update is (hopfully) better than no update. So...

I have all the railings on the second deck level mand the roof of the hangar installed. I was a worried about handling the structure with the railings on, but with all the odd bending it would be VERY difficult to get the railings on correctly once the next deck level is on as it will have quite a few overhangs. I’ll just have to be extra carefull. The railings actually feel stronger than you might think anyway.

Until next time - cheers, Corbin

Barry
08-09-2009, 07:46 AM
I really enjoy watching this take shape

Golden Bear
08-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Pretty neat subject. Nice clean work too.

Carl

wrussd
08-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Those railings are exceptional. Can you tell me how you made them?

Russ

Chaldane
08-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I'm really enjoying this ship. Even though I still have a LONG way to on this one, I'm already trying to decide what to build next! There just aren't enough hours in the day. (...or years left in my life to build all the kits I've accumulated!)

Russ - the railings are part of a photo etched set made by HMV for this kit.

Cheers, Corbin

redhorse
08-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Windshield wipers even!! Great work as always.

Papercut
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Windshield wipers even!! Great work as always.I bet the blades are a devil to change out.........LOL. Rick:D

modelperry
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Really nice work. I'm envious.:)

Greg

Chaldane
08-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Greetings,

Another (small) update and it hasn’t even been a month!

I have the third level deck on, along with all the supports on the underside. The supporting framework for the next three levels is attached on top of that. I’m now working on the walls for the third level. There are quite a few windows on this level so it’s going to take some time. Going up... :cool:

Michael Mash
08-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Good series of three shots showing that superstructure growing.
Nice work.
Mike

Chaldane
08-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Hello All,

Here’s the latest. The third level is complete and the next deck is on. Everything’s going smoothly and I’m ready to start on level four. There have been a lot of complex bends in the railings which makes it slow going, but it really hasn’t been too bad.

Michael Mash
08-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice to see your progress Corbin. You have more railing on this update than a lot of builds have on the whole ship! Nice work,
Mike

Chaldane
08-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Greetings,

Still moving on up... Not much to say, the photos speak for themselves. I did a good job of ignoring things around the house that I should have been doing to make this much progress. Let’s see if I can keep it up! :o

Wilfried
08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
You keep this model into a very good shape; I know two persons who did the same as you; the reference builder and you!

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Barry
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
I am just envious superb build

Wyvern
09-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Awesome work! Love that hangar space!

Wyvern

Michael Mash
09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I count four decks. Good detailed work.
Mike

Chaldane
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Yeah, four decks and counting...

The bridge is next with a complete interior. Lots of little chairs and control panels.

Cheers, Corbin

Papercut
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Hello Corbin, looking forward to your next part of the build. Again, just wonderful work.:DRick

Chaldane
09-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Hello Again,

I can't believe it's September 18th already and this is my first update this month! Not as much progress as I hoped to have by now, but I haven’t been getting as much time to build as I would like and the small parts for the bridge interior were more time consuming than I thought they would be. I still have several details to ad to the inside of the bridge wings, but I wanted to post an update before the next deck goes on.

Thanks for all the compliments - they are VERY much appreciated! :)

member_3
09-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Beautiful detail work! The bridge interior is absolutely stunning,,,and the penny was a brilliant touch to give some scale to the project. Sometimes all one can say is WOW!

Barry
09-19-2009, 07:54 AM
One of lifes pleasures watching this build.

B-Manic
09-19-2009, 10:06 AM
beautiful work Corbin. I don't know which is more incredible, the level of detail in this model or your skill at building it.

birder
09-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Very nice detail work, amazingly clean. Nice model!

Papercut
09-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice, clean and well detailed.

Michael Mash
09-19-2009, 12:46 PM
This is quite a piece of work. You really are creating something remarkable with the interior of that bridge. No apologies needed for the time it took to get to this update. It is worth the wait.
Mike

Ron0909
09-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Absolutely some of the cleanest, finest fiddly bits I've ever seen! The ship is progressing beautifully :)

Ron

Robi
09-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Corbin,
i am totally fascinated by the way you are building this Ship. I also working on the EGV, but i had a problem with the Bow , there were some misfittings in the length of the bow parts, so i will start a second try soon.
I also have a question to you, What kind of material you are using for the bridge windows?

Keep on glueing
Robi

Chaldane
09-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Just for fun, here are some of the fiddly bits that will attach to the inside of the bridge wings. I have to be careful not to exhale too deeply while I’m working on these small parts - it doesn’t take much of a breeze to have them go sailing!

Robi - I’m glad to hear of someone else building this kit. I’m sorry to hear about your problem with the bow. I hope your next try goes better. I remember that the parts looked odd because they were designed to be trimmed to fit. I’m using a thin sheet of acetate for the clear parts. I’ve had it forever and don’t remember where it came from.

Cheers, Corbin

Papercut
09-21-2009, 04:45 PM
You gotta B kid'in.:eek: If this was what you had to do to build in card, I would be up the creek w/o a paddle. Wow, do you use a micro-scope? My ole eyes/hands could never do that, but it is great too see you can. I will say it again, WOW, what a ship. Just shows the quality of this mfg's kits, just wished we could get them here, I just can not see paying more for the postage charge than the kit! Look forward to more of this build and your skills.:DRick

bigfan321
09-21-2009, 07:27 PM
will you make the decks above the detailed ones removable? It kinda seems like a good part of the detail you put into that deck will be lost when you top it off.

Chaldane
09-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Another deck and more railings! With the upper deck on it’s starting to look more complete. Even though the bridge is covered now the detail can still be seen through the many windows.

Cheers, Corbin

Werner
09-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Corbin,
very nice work you have done until now. I am glad to see ship-builder growing up the EGV. It took us nearly nine year of development to produce it.
I made the controlling of the hull..:D
regards
Werner

Chaldane
09-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Werner,

Thanks for posting! I had never thought about someone who helped build the actual ship to read this thread. Now I will be more nervous than ever not to ruin it! :o

Wilfried
09-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Hello Corbin,

be patient, he's a nice guy; I know him ...

With lovely greetings and following your progress
the Wilfried

Chaldane
10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Hooray! The main superstructure is complete! Well, there will be more details added later, but the main part is done and I’ll now move on to other parts of the ship. I just about went cross-eyed putting together and attaching all the tiny lights that line the sides and under the deck overhangs - all 138 of them!

This takes me through step #35 of the kit. The superstructure won’t be attached to the hull until step #80, and the masts covering the two empty white squares on the upper decks will come in step #87. How many steps total you’re wondering? There are 92! And so far I just finished #35. Granted, some steps are more involved than others, but it gives you an idea of the detail involved in this kit and how much more is yet to come.

Cheers, Corbin

Clashster
10-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Beautiful work! Wow, those are some small lights! At least the little sailors will be able to see at night!

Michael Mash
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Superb work Corbin. This superstructure is a project all by itself. You have my admiration for the work on those lights, all 138 of them!
Mike

docrox
10-12-2009, 12:43 AM
That´s an amazing work on a highly detailed model.
Hans Gerd

Werner
10-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Corbin
nice work until now, but the most boring steps are 47,48,56 and 57 because you see less compared to the whole ship .-)
regards Werner

birder
10-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for showing these pics! This level of attention to detail is an inspiration, good job Corbin:)

HellonEarth
03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi,

great work!
I started to build this model too
and Wilfried gave me this link to this fantastic report.

I have two questions.
Did you use "lasercut" parts for the rail
or are the parts etched?

Which color did you use for painting the rail?

Daniel

Chaldane
03-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi Daniel,

I hope you will enjoy building the model. I will follow your progress on Kartonbau.de. I have not been working on my model for many months, but I am anxious to get started again.

All the railings I have used are from the photo etch set. The color I used is a Testors Model Master enamel paint: German Uniform Feldgrau. The railings in the hanger bay are painted with Pale Green FS 34227 which was lightened with white. I hope that helps.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers, Corbin

Papercut
03-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Hello Corbin, have wondered where you got too. Look forward to more of this most excellent build.:DRick

Chaldane
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks Rick. I set the model aside to take care of a couple other projects and one thing led to another, and another, and another, etc...

Today was the first time I've logged on since last October. There were 23,204 new posts since my previous visit!!! Wow, you guys (and gals) have been busy! I kind of doubt that I'll be able to read them all!

Now, where did I leave my knife and cutting matt?...

Cheers, Corbin

Chaldane
03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Hello again!

I thought I’d post a small update just to prove that I AM still alive and have resumed working on the Berlin.

This as an odd little structure that attaches at the bow of the ship. The German translation of this part is the foremast. I don’t know if that’s what I’D call it, but who am I to say? Even though it looks like a simple piece, it was more involved than I thought it would be. Eventually, there will be two guns mounted on the raised deck area and a couple masts coming out of the top supporting a platform festooned with various radars and aerials.

Anyway, it feels great to finally have something to share after my prolonged drought. More to come...

Cheers, Corbin

B-Manic
03-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice to see you are back at it Corbin. Whatever the piece is called it is up to your usual immaculate standard.

Papercut
03-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Hello Corbin, so glad to see you back and just as above, same great work. Look forward to more.:DRick

Chaldane
03-28-2010, 08:27 PM
A little more snail’s-pace progress on the foremast.

Cheers, Corbin

Yu Gyokubun
03-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Very clean build! Good as gold!

Chaldane
04-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Since it’s been taking me so long to finish the four guns that go on this ship, I’ll go ahead and post a quick update on my current progress. Except for the (obviously) missing guns, I finished the foremast and was able to attach it to the hull! (insert cheering here) I also put on some of the rigging since I decided it would be easier to do before the foremast was glued in place on hull.

Cheers, Corbin

B-Manic
04-15-2010, 10:51 PM
more CHEERING - I really admire your ability to produce such clean builds. I'm looking forward to see the guns.

Barry
04-16-2010, 06:31 AM
It' a great build

Michael Mash
04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Hello Corbin,
Expert work on those forward details, railing, rigging and all!
Mike

Wilfried
04-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Hello Corbin,

what should I say; museum quality!

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

ghshinn
04-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Wonderful! You set a high standard.

Garland

jabietz
04-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Terricfic

Since yesterday, I am member of this forum only because of your great work of the 'Berlin'. Some days ago, I started building the sister ship 'Frankfurt am Main' but when I see your 'Berlin' I don't know if I should present my work in this forum ... and the reason is not my bad english but your amazing work.

Chaldane
04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
I want to thank everyone for the nice compliments - I appreciate all the kind words.

Welcome to the forum jabietz. I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say that hope you will post your work here. It's good to see how different people tackle similar kits. Also, I have followed your work at Kartonbau.de and know you are being much too modest - your work is superb! (by the way, your English is excellent too)

Cheers, Corbin

Chaldane
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I’m back with another installment of what must be the slowest build in history. Since I returned from Albuquerque after my daughter’s car accident I just haven’t felt like working on anything. Physically, my daughter is doing well, but she has other issues from the traumatic brain injury that really have me depressed. I’ve been forcing myself to continue on the Berlin even though it hasn’t been enjoyable at all.

Anyway, all the details at the bow are done. I still haven’t finshed the guns on the foremast because I’m not happy with the barrels yet. Those will be my next priority. Instead of the kit’s printed anchor chains, I used a couple different sizes of chain that I ordered from the railroad section of my local hobby shop.

Here’s a tip if any of you ever build this kit: work on all these details at the bow BEFORE you attach the foremast. It will make contruction much easier and less prone to damage.

Cheers, Corbin

gamera
06-12-2010, 02:30 PM
The scale and detail are so amazing. Your work and the work of many others here inspire me to keep building.

Yu Gyokubun
06-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Flawless build!
I like your way of building paper model!

B-Manic
06-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Beautiful Corbin, this is one of those "I can't believe its paper" builds.

Greg S.
06-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Looks very realistic to me! Great work so far!

Michael Mash
06-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Hello Corbin,
My best wishes to you and your daughter.
The latest work on the Berlin looks terrific and inspiring!
Mike

Chaldane
06-21-2010, 12:22 AM
The next major assembly is group of structures and towers that hold all the winches and refueling lines. It will be quite a complex assembly when it’s complete and will be one of the main focal points of this ship. I started by spot gluing the base to the thick piece of glass to make sure everything stays flat and level. The slightly taller of the two structures is the ‘elevator house’ according to the photo at the back of the instruction book. The slightly shorter one will hold six of the winches and two controller’s stations. On top of the elevator house will be a nice looking boat which I’m guessing must be the captain’s launch. The instructions call it a Pinasse which translates to longboat.

The first two photos are the (almost) bare beginnings. In the second two photos I’ve attached the railings, rope drums, cradles for the captain’s launch, and the small lights around the sides.

Cheers, Corbin

Pat_craft
06-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Terrific clean and nice build !!! :eek::eek::eek:

Barry
06-21-2010, 06:56 AM
I always look forward to your pictures

jabietz
06-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Hello Corbin

Your EGV looks great. Very clean and perfect build.

I am looking through my over 1000 photos of the EGV, but I don't have one that shows the deck with all the winches on it. So I show you what you have to do later ... :)

If you want some detailed pictures from the original, let me know. I will see what I can do for you. Tomorrow, I will go to Kiel. There is Open Ship on "Frankfurt am Main" under the program of 'Kieler Woche' (http://www.kieler-woche.de/eng/englishdefault.php), one of the greatest sailing events.

I will finish the main superstructure of my 'Frankfurt am Main ' in the next days. You can see the overall standing in the link below...

Chaldane
06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
This is one of the two controller’s stations for the refueling rigs. The kit has optional parts for the interior, so I decided to do that since I've already done the interior of the bridge. After cutting out the printed windows the frames are VERY thin and delicate, but amazingly, I managed to pull it off without breaking any! A new blade in the knife was essential! I used thin acetate again for the windows. I was relieved to get all the wipers glued on because I knew that if I misplaced one there’s no way I’d ever find it again.
Well, one down, one to go...

As you can see from the previous post by Andy, I have some challenging hose work and rigging in store!.

Cheers, Corbin

Wilfried
06-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Corbin!

You show all of us, what is possible in this scale ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Don Boose
07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
This entire model is an example of perfection in precise craftsmanship in paper. I love to look at these photos.

Don

Chaldane
07-22-2010, 08:38 PM
First, I want to say a big Thank You for the great compliments I've received on this build. I appreciate all the kind words very much.

Now that I’m back from my latest trip to Albuquerque (more about that in a separate, upcoming post), I was able to finish these six winches. It’s nice having a little touch of color to all the grey.

If you ever build this kit, attach the winches as shown in the drawings and not as they are labeled. The parts are numbered incorrectly, but its easy to see which winch goes where.

Cheers, Corbin

Don Boose
07-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Superb!

Don

Chaldane
08-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Here’s what I’ve been working on lately. This is one of the two towers for the refueling lines. There are A LOT of tiny parts that make up these things! For the photos, I just set the completed assembly in place to show where it will go. I won’t glue it on until both sides and the top cross piece are ready. Thankfully, the other side is already fairly well along.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Hello Corbin,
This is masterful work with all the fine details, and a real pleasure to look over. Along side the winches, it is perfect. I had to go back and get a look at your close-up images of the controller's station. I thought I saw "wipers" on there, and sure enough, there they are!
Mike

Chaldane
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks Mike. I think those wipers are probably the smallest, most delicate parts I've ever had to attach to anything! I thought I had lost one when I was holding it too close to the edge of my tweezers and heard an ominous "ting" as it launched into the void. Unbelievably, I found it after spending some time carefully moving things around on my (very cluttered) desk!

Anyway, this is just a quick update to show the second tower done!

Cheers, Corbin

birder
08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Incredible detail work Corbin, just very clean and precise for scale, very nice!:):)

Chaldane
08-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks Glen. Up to this point, things have been going well.

Unfortunately, today I made an unpleasant discovery. When I was building the bases of the four hydraulic units and pulleys, I noticed that the illustration for steps 51 shows them as being not exactly identical, but mirror images of each other. There is an angled pulley at the base of each one that was shown as being towards the bow in the illustration. I checked ahead and the illustrations for step 52, 53a, 55 and 55a all show the same arrangement. Thinking that must be correct, that was how I built them. Well, today as I was planning out how I would do all the rigging from the winches I noticed the illustration for step 57 - the angled pulleys on the port side are now shown towards the aft! :eek: Hoping that was just a mistake in the illustration, I looked more carefully at some of the other illustrations and found that the port side pulleys are, in fact, supposed to be to the aft because of the way the cables come from the winches. Aaaarrrrgh!!!! :mad: So now I get to attempt dismantling the assembled and attached hydraulic units from their bases, disassemble the pulleys, take the three ‘feet’ off each base, flip the base over and reassemble everything. Wish me luck.

To say that I am not happy with HMV right now is a bit of an understatement!

Corbin

Barry
08-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I wish you success it is such a fantastic model

Tapcho
08-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I just spent an hour reading this thread and it just pretty much made my day. What more can you wish - an opportinity to enjoy such craftmanship around a very facinating subject and a cup of hot coffee. Perfect Sunday morning for me, I feel priviledged. Thanks Corbin.

BR Tappi

Michael Mash
08-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Hello Corbin,
Sorry to hear about the needed changes. Taking such fabulous detailed work apart is painful. However, I suspect, when everything is put back together, it will all look like new. Looking forward to your next update.
Mike

Chaldane
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Tapcho, thanks for the kind words - I'm glad you enjoyed the thread so far. There is still much to do...

Thanks for the encouragement Barry and Mike.

So after mulling it over, I came up with a fairly easy and not-too-invasive fix to my problem. I was able to carefully slice through the glue and detach the pulleys. Then, instead of trying to disassemble the base of the hydraulic units, I just cut off the angled section at the front of the base. I then laminated some card stock to the correct thickness and glued a wedge of it to the deck and aft side of the base. I reassembled the pulley units to angle the correct way and glued them onto the built-up wedges. Voila! The area under the pulleys is hard enough to see even if you’re looking for it, and will be nearly impossible to see once all the cables and hoses are in place so I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Whew, crisis averted!

I’ve since discovered another issue with the instructions and kit parts as far as the upper pulleys where the hoses hang. More on that in a day or two...

Cheers, Corbin

Chaldane
08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
What’s this - another update already?! Well, the weather here has been crap all summer. We’ve broken a record for the most consecutive days of precipitation - 29 days in a row and counting! I does give me a great excuse to stay inside and glue though.

I have the cross piece for the refueling rig attached now. I decided that it would be easier to attach the small pulleys before the cross piece was glued in place which led me to discovery another couple slight glitches in the kit/instructions. Step 59 shows pulley R55c1 as having a long hanger on it. I think the idea was to have the pulley hang down low enough so the cable to the lower pulley would clear the small square platform at the top of the steps. There is no part in the kit that looks like that. The printed part R55c1 is the same as all the other pulleys which puts the small platform directly in the cable's intended path. I was trying to figure out how I was going make that work when I looked at some photos which were very kindly sent to me by Andy in Germany (thank you so much Andy!). The small platform is NOT a square, as provided in the kit, but instead is an ‘L’ shape with the corner being cut out to make clearance for the cable! Of course, I didn’t see this until after the platform and rails were solidly glued and dried! So it was back to disassembling a few parts, cutting the platform, and then reattaching everything. I didn’t do as good of job as I would have liked, but from a couple feet away you’ll never notice. At least the cable has clearance now. Also, the kit does not provide enough of the yellow pulleys (if you use the more detailed alternate version anyway) so I had to scan and printed one more. This might all sound confusing, but hopefully you can see what I mean from the photos.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
08-17-2010, 05:38 AM
What’s this - another update already?!
Cheers, Corbin

Keep them comming Corbin. Your dedication to authenticity inspires the rest of us. Beautiful job.
Mike

Chaldane
08-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks Mike. I can easily say the same about your work on the Iéna!

Chaldane
08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
The past several days have been devoted to photo etched ladders, platforms, railings, and cages.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I could say, this is going to be a masterpiece when finished. And it will be. But some of these assemblies could stand all by themselves.
Mike

birder
08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
That is wonderful work, I agree with Mike completely. Looks absolultely perfect.

Don Boose
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Truly incredible work. You can lose yourself in these photos, trying to comprehend the level of detail.

Don

Wilfried
08-23-2010, 02:42 AM
You can lose yourself in these photos...

Don

The best compliment, you can catch for your work! :)

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Chaldane
08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Mike, Glen, Don and Wilfried - thank you for the great compliments.

Corbin

Chaldane
08-28-2010, 06:15 PM
I decided to finally put together the four guns before I started loosing parts. I’ve been putting them off while I tried numerous ways to replicate the hexagonal cross section of the barrels. Try as I might, I just couldn’t find a satisfactory solution so I ended up just using the kit parts which couldn't get from being too round. Now that you all know, just don’t tell anyone. On the actual ship, the guns are 27mm autocannons. The MLG 27 is a navalized version of the BK 27 aircraft gun used in the Tornado and Gripen. It’s capable of firing 1700 rpm and would certainly ruin your day in a hurry if you were on the wrong end of it! I’m guessing they are mainly used for the ship’s CIWS (Close-In Weapon System), like the Phalanx or Goalkeeper systems.

After I attached the guns to their platforms I decided to go ahead and attach the main superstructure to the hull. There are ten ladders needed (including the two forward of the superstructure that I haven’t attached yet). Unfortunately, there were only seven ladders remaining on the photo etch fret (six plus one “reserve”)! I'm surprised HMV made such a big mistake with the photo etch! I have come across other parts that were supposed to be on the photo etched frets that weren't though. I used some laser cut ladders that I had on hand to make up for the difference.

Anyway, I’m glad to have the superstructure on now. It makes me feel like I HAVE been making some progress.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
08-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Hello Corbin,
I think we all know what you mean about getting paper to represent a particular shape. We have to be some of the most clever hobyists around to complete an entire ship with authenticity. The gun looks great. The fourth image may be the first one I have seen of the whole project. She is beautiful.
Mike

Chaldane
08-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks Mike. When I used to build balsa aircraft I thought it was great how you could take a box of sticks & tissue and make something 3 dimensional out of it. Paper modeling takes that one step further!

That photo is the first overall shot I've taken so far. It makes me wish I had digital SLR so I'd have more control over the depth of field. Who knows - Christmas IS just around the corner...

Cheers, Corbin

B-Manic
08-29-2010, 09:58 AM
The 27mm auto cannons (Mauser BK-27) look great Corbin. They have an impressive 1700-rounds-per-minute rate of fire.

Chaldane
08-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks B-Manic. I'd like to hear one of those firing at that rate! (with ear protection of course)

B-Manic
08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks B-Manic. I'd like to hear one of those firing at that rate! (with ear protection of course)

Hearing one would be OK - I want to fire it, now that would be fun. We were supposed to get a similar system for our frigates but we got the 1B upgrade to our Phalanx CIWS instead. It fires 3000+ Rpm. Here are links to both firing from youtube. I could not get them to embed.
-
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBFdcd52G2U&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIKLHNxtDFs
-
-

Chaldane
08-31-2010, 09:04 PM
B-Manic - thanks for those links. Mighty impressive! It’s amazing seeing the spent cartridges POUR out of the MLG 27! The Phalanx is just incredible. The rate of fire is hard to imagine - I guess that’s the advantage of having six barrels.

Here’s what has ben keeping me busy for the past week or so - the eight remaining winches. Whew! Not far to go now before I get to start rigging all of this.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
09-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Hello Corbin,
That's a lot of winches. And each one looks perfect!
Mike

Chaldane
09-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Mike. I really wasn’t looking forward to putting all those together, and even though it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be, I’m glad they’re done.

Here’s a small update for today. There is a hoist on the sides of the two towers. On the actual ship, these move up and down on tracks inside the towers. You have the option of positioning the hoists anywhere from top to bottom. I’m leaving mine folded in the “at rest” position at the bottom.

Cheers, Corbin

Chaldane
09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
My next step was to make the two radomes for the tops of the towers. I tried a couple different ideas, but in the end I liked these two best. I used some scrap plastic, pushed a piece of wire into a hole I drilled in the bottom, then chucked them up in my Dremel and shaped them with files and sandpaper. Yes, I know they’re not paper, but I like the smoothness of them and since I’m already using photo etched metal I use that to justify my use of plastic. :o

As you can see, I’ve also started rigging some of the cables from the winches. Hopefully in the next day or two I can get to the hoses.

Cheers, Corbin

Wilfried
09-06-2010, 08:30 AM
The radoms looks very realistic; a good hint making them out of polystyrol ...

with lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Michael Mash
09-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello Corbin:
This is quite an assembly. With all that rigging in there, it looks like the real thing. Now I see why there are so many winches.
Mike

Chaldane
09-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks Wilfried and Mike.

Just a small update today. I finally finished rigging the cables from the winches to all the pulleys. It was a bit challenging getting all these done - I never realized before what a shallow depth of field my Opti-Visor has!

Cheers, Corbin

Tapcho
09-09-2010, 09:33 PM
The model certainly is well designed and very true to the original. And your performance is just outstanding. I love to follow this build. This is already a busy corner and still missing the hoses. Wow!

Chaldane
09-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks Tapcho. Yes, the design of this model is amazing! It's going to spoil me for any future builds. I'm hoping to get a start on the hoses this weekend.

Cheers, Corbin

birder
09-10-2010, 10:22 AM
High quality work on a great model...nice. Hey Corbin, what are the blocks like on this kit? (pulleys) do you have any close up pics of one?

Michael Mash
09-10-2010, 02:57 PM
This is really something to see. It dosn't need the rest of the ship to be a picture-of-the-week candidate all by itself.
Mike

rjm
09-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Corbin,
What is that sitting on? Plate glass?
Just being curious. I've got this kit but not the photoetch.
I can see it's no use even starting without it.
This is going to be one of the most detailed paper models
ever.
Didn't we have a thread about that?
Bob

B-Manic
09-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Fantastic Corbin. the RAS station is a beautiful little stand alone model, never mind the rest of the ship.

Chaldane
09-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys for such great compliments.

Glen - there are two options for the pulleys. The first picture shows the easiest option. The parts are simply doubled so they’re colored on both sides and then cut out.

The alternative version is more detailed with an almost microscopic roller in the middle so a line can actually pass through the pulley. I used the more detailed version so it would be easier to rig the cables. I really don't like taking such close-up photos because all the imperfections really stand out. But, since you asked... Thankfully, they’ll usually never be seen this magnified.

Bob - I have this assembly spot glued to a thick piece of glass to keep it flat and true until I'm ready to attach it to the hull. The glass works very well for that purpose because the glue will pop off easily enough, but it is heavy and awkward. I've had to be extra careful handing it so I don't drop it and ruin everything.

Cheers, Corbin

Wilfried
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Hello Corbin,

another impressive step forward; by the way, which material you use for the cables?

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Chaldane
09-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks Wilfried. For the cables, I’m using a product called “Wonder Wire”. It’s a ceramic fiber that I have found many uses for.

Cheers, Corbin

Wilfried
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Hello Corbin,

thanks for the information about the cables; I think, there is no chance for distribution in Germany ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Michael Mash
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Hello Corbin,
Thanks for the introduction to “wonder wire”.
What kind of adhesive works best?
Do water based glues work?
Mike

Chaldane
09-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Mike,

I just use the same white glue that I use for the rest of the construction. Since the ceramic fiber is stiff and keeps itself straight, it only needs to be tacked on at each end as there is no tension on it. If there is a hole it goes into on each end it really doesn't even need to be glued at all.

Cheers, Corbin

jaska
09-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Is this the kind of ship You are building?
YouTube - DefenceForcesFinland's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/DefenceForcesFinland#p/u/0/A4U6hHZ-oCQ)

Chaldane
09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi Jaska,

Yes, that's the sister ship of the one I am building. Thanks for the link to the video. It's always fun to see different areas of the ship.

Cheers,Corbin

yeungpingtong
10-10-2014, 07:09 AM
I am so glad that I finally got registered. Please hold it
for me. Thank you.

yeungpingtong
10-11-2014, 01:36 AM
I scarecely find such a detailed model. It challenges the patience
and capability of the builder. The design itself is marvelous, but the outcome is good or not depends on the builders themselves.

Chaldane
10-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Thank you for the nice compliment. I stopped working on this project after some damage I caused to the refueling rig. I have also been away from this great site for far too long. I think it is time to repair the damage and get back to work.

Cheers, Corbin

Papercut
10-12-2014, 05:18 PM
I'll hold you to that my friend.........
Rick😜

papersurprise50
10-18-2014, 06:29 AM
CORBIN;
Isn't it funny ? These guys that call themselves model builders will spend many bucks on say a TRUMPETER Missouri, But think Card Models are too difficult ! I have always been amazed by that attitude .When I took my tug , with removable bottom to a model show at our club ,the response was amazing . The most common comment was " I couldn't make those round parts , No Way and the prop too uh.uh."
The tug was the American made Tug " Two Friends " Also known as the " Filibustering Tug " She was owned by William Flagler and another gent .William Flagler is a name synonomous with Florida history and politics of the twenties and thirties .I believe I got the time right ?
That was without a doubt one of the most fun card models I have ever built .It now resides ( Still ? ) on the model train Layout at Just Trains ( A model railroad store ) In Concord, California .
Everybody that saw her, loved her .
She was without a doubt the card model that cemented my love for the genre . I would someday ,like to find another to build for me !
Papersurprise 50

papersurprise50
10-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Corbin :
I have been bouncing all over this build .I can't seem to stop .This is amazing work .Kin I have one too ?
Now you are one of the folks who can understand why I put so much detail in my scratch build ships of another media . Wow ! and other comments come to mind , but don't seem to do you justice .
I don't have the pictures , but , I have created a 1/32 model of my oil spill work boat .with the special gear built by LORI .It's an LCM - 6 . I did it in plastic first and then paper just to see if I could . I surprised myself .
Not as good as what you are doing , but , just as interesting . I like all the little chotski's on this model ! Papersurprise 50

Papercut
10-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Hey Bro, you have had almost 16,000 hits on this thread............alot of people are wanting too see you continue w/this most wonderful build.........8)
Rick

Papercut
10-18-2014, 10:38 AM
And I have studied your work closely my friend, and there is no doubt you can repair what has been damaged. I just recently acquired one of these and the amount of work it has taken to get too where you are @, it is a shame not to continue..........so, come on, saddle up that pony and lets go for a ride again with this build.:)
Rick:cool:

Chaldane
10-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Papersurprise 50 and Papercut - thanks again for the compliments and votes of confidence. I am currently in the process of clearing some space on my desk and tracking down parts that have had a couple years to migrate to who knows where.

No promises, but hopefully I'll have some new photos to show in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers, Corbin

elliott
10-19-2014, 05:47 PM
That would be great. Would love to see new progress pics. Thanks for picking this up again!

Chaldane
12-14-2014, 05:03 PM
This isn't much of an update, but I just wanted to show that I actually HAVE started working on this again! Since it's been quite a while since I've cut or folded any paper, I wanted to work on a simpler part of the ship to ease into it before I try to repair the refueling rig.

This is the MERZ-Container (Marineeinsatz-Rettungszentrum) It is a collection of containers outfitted as a medical unit which can be reconfigured as needed. There will be a large electrical conduit along the outside and one of the building options is to cut out openings for the electrical connections and install inset boxes for a more 3-D effect. The flat doors have also been cut out and replaced with the inset options. I had forgotten how slow progress can be, but this is a start...

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
12-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Hello Corbin,
Looking forward to watching this one again.
Mike

Don Boose
12-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Looks good. This has been an epic project with an exceptionally high level of craftsmanship.

Don

frigate 264
12-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Como se ha dicho ya mucho, yo te sigo y disfruto de un trabajo realmente maravilloso. Me encanta. Una pregunta; ¿Cual son las dimensiones del modelo, del barco?
As already mentioned a lot, I follow and enjoy a truly wonderful job. I love it. A question; What are the dimensions of the model, of the boat?

Chaldane
12-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It feels good to work with paper again.

Frigate 264 - the actual ship has a length of 173.7m (569', 11") and a beam of 24m (78', 9") which makes the model about 69.5cm (27.35") with a beam of 9.6cm (3.78").

Cheers, Corbin

frigate 264
12-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Gracias, bastante grande, pero aun así hay zonas con muchas piezas por cm cuadrado.
Thank you, quite large, but still there are areas with many pieces per square cm.

Chaldane
08-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Hello everyone - remember me?! (I can't blame you if you don't) It's hard for me to believe that it's been so long since I've posted any kind of update on this build. Another case of life and other distractions getting in the way. Anyway, I've been browsing around more on this site lately and it definitely motivated me to pick up a knife and some glue again. So, I finally finished the MERZ-Containers, prepared the mounting pads on the deck and have attached everything where it belongs.

Cheers, Corbin

elliott
08-07-2016, 03:14 PM
20 month gap in the thread - well you're not the longest by a long shot. Good to see you back in the saddle, so to speak. Doesn't look like your work has suffered at all. Looks good.

Chaldane
08-14-2016, 10:19 PM
Miracles DO happen! I have another update, and it hasn't even been 20 months like the last gap between updates!

I built up the three loading hatches and installed them on the deck. Not sure what parts to work on next - cranes, masts, or suck it up and repair the damage on the refueling rig.

Chaldane
09-11-2016, 04:23 PM
I have very limited time these days for building - 1/2 hour in the mornings before work - so it's taking me forever to get anything done. Today though, I did manage to complete one of the two main cranes. Now on to the next.

Michael Mash
09-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Hello Corbin:
Outstanding. Your cranes are engineering gems.
It doesn't matter how long it takes.
Mike

Chaldane
09-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Thanks Michael. Making any amount of progress always spurs me on to do more.

I've also been greatly enjoying watching your work on the Jauréguiberry.

Cheers, Corbin

Chaldane
09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
To say this build is going at a snail's pace would be insulting to a snail, but I suppose it IS moving along. Anyway, here's the completed and installed forward crane, and a shot of both cranes on deck. Hmmm... what to do next?

Cheers, Corbin

rmks2000
09-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Nicely done. I think the window glass looks more realistic than that on some other ship models where the color is too blue.

Chaldane
09-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks rmks2000. I too think that HMV does a good job on the glass. Other areas of this model have interior structures to see, so I cut out the printed glass and used acetate, but since there was nothing inside the control areas for the cranes I left them as is.

Cheers, Corbin

Michael Mash
09-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Your work with cranes is always worth watching.
Mike

Chaldane
09-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Thanks Mike. Having made more progress inspired me to keep up my momentum so... Last night I stayed up *way too* late and today I successfully ignored other things that I ought to have been doing so that I could work on the model.

I was happily able to complete and install the smaller of the two masts.

But, unfortunately, that's not the end of today's story. After I took these photos, I was turning around and the model slipped out of my hand, flipped over, and landed upside down! :mad: Needless to say the mast that I just finished, as well as the masts on the forecastle were smashed and the railings crumpled. Other railings on the superstructure were crumpled as well. To say that I'm disappointed is a huge understatement. I'm very tempted to bin the entire project and be done with it. Time to pour myself a glass (or two) of my favorite IPA.

Cheers, Corbin

PAPER FAN
09-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Beautiful, Have lots of ipa's.

A side thought, can't figure out why they would place the mast behind the exhaust gas. Can't imagine servicing it while underway. Poor design for obvious reasons to me.

Werner
11-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Hi Corbin

the gap is sometimes normal, I also have gaps in finish some ships becaus of other reasons. For example we developed the SMS Wiesbaden/Frankfurt an so I have a gap to finish my HMS Najad :eek:
But it is nice to see your EGV growing.
Be careful the EGV is sold out.....

Regards Werner
Mannheim
Germany