PDA

View Full Version : Burghead Harbour & Railway

BobRo
11-20-2013, 03:20 PM
I have decided to combine my previous articles on the railway and harbour into one new thread. I have not posted any articles for a few months as I have had to build a new goods shed and engine shed as I had made the others slightly over scale. I have finished laying the railway track and have made some some of the fishermans cottages and workshops. I have also made the station buildings and finished off the Harbour Inn. I have not fixed any of them down yet until I am satisfied they are correct. So far every thing is made from printed card or canvas effect photo paper . The grass scenery is also printed and given a sprinkling of electro static grass. I have a some resin kits of trawlers that I made before I got the paper bug and have placed them in the harbour. I have a Admiralty trawler that I have made as well as other paper ships that I have made. I have weathered all of the buildings and will be doing the same to the scenery. I have tried to get the semi derelict look of some of the buildings of that time . Over the past few years new buildings have sprung up all over the place so I have had to recreate the the way the harbour looked by backdating it to how I imagined it looked in the sixties.
With a bit of research on the internet I have found plenty of old photographs of Burghead. I have used these to help me get the model right.

KCStephens
11-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Beautiful pictures, BobRO, you have done a wonderful job creating this miniture world. I sometimes wish I had the space needed to tinker around with model railroading - maybe someday:rolleyes:.

SCEtoAUX
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Very nice looking layout. The texturing on the buildings lends a sense of realism to the scene. :)

jagolden01
11-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Beautiful work! I think card stock buildings and such are great for model railroads. They look great and the cost is much easier to swallow.

Art Deco
11-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Excellent work! The graphics and weathering are very artistic and realistic, your attention to detail throughout the layout is impressive. Please keep posting photos of your progress. :)

BobRo
11-22-2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks for your comments. I found that the canvas photo paper give a nice texture to the buildings. Card on its own seems to reflect the light from certain angles and gives a flat look. I use pastels for weathering. When finished I give it a spray coat of hair laquer to seal it followed by 2 coats of Winsor & Newtons matt UV varnish to protect it from fading. I used stone texture from the many texture libraries on the internet. I have not been to Burghead so I used Google Earth for research especially Street View . This allows me to take a virtual journey around the town. I used Google to search for images of Burghead and following links on some of the websites I found some old old photos and some aerial views. This allowed me to eliminate some of the modern building and reinstate some of the older ones . I have also used Facebook and Flickr to find photographs. The research has been one of the enjoyable part of making the model . If you want to find out more about Burghead I recommend typing in Burghead and looking at the images and follow the links.
Bob

Don Boose
11-22-2013, 09:08 AM
It's a superb diorama/layout that gives a good sense of a harbor/railway scene of the twilight of steam days. Wonderful atmospherics.

Don

BobRo
01-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Here are few photographs I have taken before Christmas. I have built 3 trawlers from resin kits. They are made by a Dutch firm called Artitec. I have also built an Admiralty 65 ft trawler which I down loaded for free. The resin kits are shrimp cutters of a European design so I have converted them into Scottish style boats. I have been putting ballast on the tracks and putting scenic static grass on to the model. The last few weeks I have been making point operating mechanisms using pushrods and installing the electrics underneath the layout. I have found a few more photographs that I took a few weeks ago so I upload them.

Joe711
01-12-2014, 03:59 PM
I like a lot the harbor!
It will be very charming throughout.