PDA

View Full Version : Golden Bear Models Lavoisier

GreMir
03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm very happy to annouce that I will be carying Golden Bear Model line.
First in the series is French pre-dreadnought protected cruiser Lavoisier.
Beautiful cover art courtesy of Serge Stone.
Please visit GreMir Models (http://www.gremirmodels.com) for more information.

member_3
03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Wahoo!!! I hope I was the first customer - I do like those S/N 001 kits. Just had to get both versions. This is a great day for paper modeling!

treadhead1952
03-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi Mike,

Nice to see that the store is growing with some more interesting subjects.

Golden Bear
03-14-2009, 08:06 AM
I have my fingers crossed that I may see a build thread some day!

Carl

Phil
03-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Awesome news!!!
Great job Carl!

redhorse
03-14-2009, 11:20 AM
This is a great day! I went and bought both. Carl, were both Lavoisier and Galilee painted in both schemes? I think you'll see a build thread relatively soon ;)

Golden Bear
03-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Jim, yes, both of them had the foreign service (light grey that looks white) coloring as well as the Mediterranean (black/brown). If you leave off the ladder on the front funnel you'll have Galilée (pretty much) instead of Lavoisier. Linois was different in a lot of other ways and would take a different kit.

I hope that you enjoy the model!

Carl

Don Boose
03-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I've just ordered mine (both versions) somewhat belatedly, so I hope that Ron did get S/N 001 (it's not a contest, Ron, GABN).

This ship is way beyond my capabilities, but after watching its development and with all the encouragement and good advice I've received from Carl, I had to have the kits. At least I can pour over the images, imagineer the construction, try my hand at a bit of superstructure or armament from time to time, and who knows, someday a lopsided Lavoisier may splash down the ways at the Boose Admiralty Dockyard.

Many thanks for making the kit available, Carl.

Don

GreMir
03-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Everybody who already received and registered your copy - Can you print the model and check if everything is ok?
Ron reported that assembly diagrams and part pages are printing as one page of the model and three blanks.
Everything seems to be fine on my end but I need third party to see what's happening.
Everybody who placed and order but not received the model yet - please give me a bit of time to sort this issue out.
I apologize for any inconvenience.

B-Manic
03-14-2009, 05:45 PM
GreMir and Golden Bear Models, surely an enterprise of excellence.

Unfortunately I just bought my daughter a PS3 (the Bluray player for Dad is just a lucky happenstance) so I'll have to wait a month or two but, rest assured my order for this exceptional model will be forthcoming.

Congratulations on the launch Carl.

Barry
03-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Mike
if you print page 5 Black Hull Brown Upper works you get a blank page followed by Sheet 5 as requested. Printer calibration is set to both at 0.99607843.

The Blank page goes through the motions printing spaces all the way down the page.

Hope this helps

GreMir
03-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Ok. Different result but caused by the same issue - everything depends on the printer and how it "sees" the margins....
I'm pretty sure I solved the mystery and as soon as Carl gets me trimmed pages I will resend the model to everyone. In the meantime I'm putting all orders for Lavoisier on hold - email notifications already sent.
I apologize for the inconvenience - this did not manifest itself when I did the test print. Guess my printer either printed borderless or just skipped the blanks :o

Darwin
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Now if you could just solve the problem that keeps folks like me from being able to install the files on our computers.

GreMir
03-14-2009, 08:23 PM
This probably will never be solved, unless we could get your PC to the creator of the software :(

BARX2
03-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Congratulations Carl! Glad to see you've decided to release your models. I know people have been waiting for them a long time. Best to you and Gremir.

Golden Bear
03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Ugh. All pages are (I hope) now correctly resized. Live and learn.

I might volunteer to print out pages myself and ship them to people. Let me see how that goes. You'll lose the ability to print out replacement sheets. But at least the double sided pages won't be any concern.

Work has begun on release 2 for GBM...

Carl

member_3
03-15-2009, 10:08 AM
No need for you to print anything, Carl. It was not a problem of things not printing but rather (in my case) three blank sheets cycling through after the desired page. I was only printing one at a time anyway. Against my better judgment I am going to start a build thread. I think the myriad of fiddly bits may be beyond my well-documented gorilla-fisted techniques but others may learn something from it - even if it is how not to build a GBM creation!

Golden Bear
03-15-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm working through the issues now. Back side printing, which I rely on heavily now that you started me on it, Ron, is a no-go for downloadable kits because of variation in printer interfaces and paper usage (A4 vs. 8.5x11).

I'll relay out all the parts that need backside printing onto a single sheet and cluster them in the middle of a huge back color blob so that they'll work for everybody.

This may be the first and last GBM kit at this rate. At least Victoria's backside color would be white for about everything.

[grrr, growl, grr some more]

Carl

member_3
03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh, I would not give up on the backside printing, Carl. You might consider the 7.5 x 10 image that Zarkov and others use. That way it will print without any "issues" on A4 or letter. I, for one, am willing to forgive you anything short of my printer melting down while you/Mike/we work out the growing pains. Have another libation and charge that hill again!!

GreMir
03-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Ron,
That's not so easy....
Lavoisier pages are sized correctly and they will print without any issues on both A4 and Letter size - we fixed the multipage glitch.
Problem is that every printer will have different print margin settings and will grab paper differently - trying to allign both prints is proving to be a nightmare and Carl and I are reaching the consesus that the way it is right now, it's simply impossible to insure that everybody will have correct printout :mad:
The only way to make sure that backside print is where it supposed to be is to rearange the parts as Carl suggested. Other than that is to give up and relay on laminating the parts with the backside colors. That in turn could result in parts not fitting the way they supposed to.....
Now we know why people avoid reverse printing........

member_3
03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
LOL - I yield to the those who actually have to do it (as opposed to those of us who just want it!) It sounds like Carl's idea of grouping all back-printed parts on one sheet and doing the "color blob" may be the most practical solution.

redhorse
03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I got the download key tonight and printed both of them out on my Canon Pixma. No problems at all. I'm really and truly impressed. The parts look great, the cover painting is wonderful (I just wish it was bigger) and the instructions are incredible!! Great diagrams and a lot of good tips and techniques in the text. It's kind of nice reading English instructions for a change.

Thanks Carl and Mike!

Golden Bear
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
For you Mac users, I can print out copies for you and mail them direct. The prices will be the same as for downloaded versions and will include postage for domestic U.S. shipments. For International, I'll need to add $7.95 for shipment.

You can contact me by PM.

Carl

GreMir
08-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Lavoisier is now offered as only one option containing both camouflage versions. Price of the kit is being lowered in celebration of Carl's second design joining the offer.