PDA

View Full Version : Nakajima KI-84 Hayate/Halinski/1:33

g force
03-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I have started construction on the Japanese Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate fighter, and so far it is proving to be a very enjoyable build. As with all Halinski kits, the print quality and detail is superb. This one in particular has some very nice, subtle weathering.

redhorse
03-17-2009, 12:32 PM
A Halinski build! This will be fun to see, thanks for starting a build thread!

member_3
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, the coloring on that one is superb. This is in my (uncut) collection just because it is so darned pretty. Maybe this thread will provide some motivation for me.

g force
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your interest. It hope it will be fun to see, as long as I don't make a mess of things along the way - I'm relatively new to the hobby. Stay tuned...

g force
03-17-2009, 12:57 PM
So, here goes...
I started the build with the construction of the cockpit section of the plane's fuselage - as seems to be the recommendation in all Halinski kits. Why not get into some of the finest details right at the start! The kit alone is excellent in every way, but I wanted to add a higher level of detail and realism to the cockpit, so I decided to use some Eduard photo-etch parts for the seat/seatbelts and instrument panel - as an experiment. Although the Eduard parts are 1:32 scale, they seem to work perfectly in this 1:33 scale model. So far, the fit of all parts is very good - and I like the tab and slot method for the frames in this kit.

GreMir
03-17-2009, 01:15 PM
BANZAI!!!!
I get a little excited every time I see one of Japanese planes being built :D
This one is on my to-do list, but I want to go through all the older kits first. Otherwise might not get to them at all if I become spoiled with those perfect ones :rolleyes:

ccoyle
03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I came within a gnat's whisker of purchasing this kit. It'll be fun to watch this come together.

Regards,

Lex
03-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Nice start, I'm also looking forward to the build of the swift wind

dansls1
03-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I have this one in my collection as well and look forward to following your build. Excellent start on the fiddly cockpit bits ;)

milenio3
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Wow! Nice touch on the Eduard photo-edge parts!!

g force
03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Here are a few more shots of the cockpit in progress...

member_3
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
The cockpit alone is an impressive model. Your sharp, clean cutting is remarkable (and absolutely necessary on a Halinski kit!)

Leif Ohlsson
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
That must be one of the best instrument panels I've seen. Not overstated, instruments come out as if real. This is a pleasure to watch. - L.

g force
03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for your comments, and the kind words. I am taking my time with this one - and it has been fun. I have made a bit of progress with one of the cockpit side walls, as you can see here.

John Bowden
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Wow........ I'm amazed at the buckle on the rudder pedal straps :eek:

The instruments are way cool also.

ccoyle
03-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree with Leif. That instrument panel is amazing! Out of curiosity, what parts are included in the Eduard PE set?

g force
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Well, the Eduard set has most of the detailed parts for the cockpit interior, including the instrument panel and seat - pretty much any small part that would be near impossible to build and paint by hand. The photos make everything look HUGE, but the cockpit is very, very, very tiny. To truly appreciate it, you almost have to see the model in person. Perhaps I will take some photos with a scale reference next time to give you an idea. Thanks for the comments.

birder
03-18-2009, 06:15 PM
That is impressive work. I love Halinsky models, and to do even more with the kit -wow!:)

dansls1
03-18-2009, 06:41 PM
As a soon-to-be unemployed person this is probably just for curiousity sake, but where would one go about finding information on Eduard's photo-etch kits for Halinski's?
And cockpit is looking excellent.

ccoyle
03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Funny you should ask, Dan. I was just Googling 'Eduard'. Looks like most hobby shops only carry bits and pieces of the Eduard line, but apparently you can buy direct from Eduard (http://www.eduard.cz/) as well. But be prepared to fork over an arm and a leg -- the Hayate interior, for example, is US$24.95. Ouch! Very pretty, though.

member_3
03-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Check Squadron.com - do a search with scale + aircraft photoetch + Eduard + color detail. The Hayate set was not in stock but the prices are better than the Eduard site.

Don Boose
03-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Another Japanese airplane! Hooray! (Mike already used "Banzai!")

A Halinski! And more outstanding craftsmanship and multimedia innovation.

That cockpit is truly outstanding and bids fair for a great build.

Domo arigato gozaimasu!

Don

g force
03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks! I am always afraid to get my macro lens so "up close and personal" with the model, because it always highlights the mistakes and any poor craftsmanship. Some things I won't worry about because it will be covered up.

g force
03-19-2009, 01:57 PM
So, my eyes start to hurt a bit while working on all of the small parts in the cockpit and I need to work on something "bigger". Here are some shots of the wing construction...

Don Boose
03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
This is exceptionally fine work, even for a Halinsky!

Like looking at parts of a full-sized airplane.

Don

redhorse
03-19-2009, 02:48 PM
This is excellent work, and really fast too.

member_3
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Sometimes all one can say is WOW

GreMir
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
:eek:
WHO ARE YOU???????
It's basically impossible to build that fast that good, unless of course you are an alien with 4 hands and no need to sleep :D

Papercut
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
So, here goes...
I started the build with the construction of the cockpit section of the plane's fuselage - as seems to be the recommendation in all Halinski kits. Why not get into some of the finest details right at the start! The kit alone is excellent in every way, but I wanted to add a higher level of detail and realism to the cockpit, so I decided to use some Eduard photo-etch parts for the seat/seatbelts and instrument panel - as an experiment. Although the Eduard parts are 1:32 scale, they seem to work perfectly in this 1:33 scale model. So far, the fit of all parts is very good - and I like the tab and slot method for the frames in this kit. Yes, that is the idea, stretch the idea box to include other materials to turn out a true scale protypical air craft. Like what you have done. Keep up the great work.:DRick

g force
03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
:eek:
WHO ARE YOU???????
It's basically impossible to build that fast that good, unless of course you are an alien with 4 hands and no need to sleep :D
Well, let's not get carried away. I only have 3 hands. But really, I decided to document this build only recently and the wing construction was well underway before I posted the first photos. Speed is not my goal here.

g force
03-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Here is my attempt at the engine cowling. To me this has been the most difficult part of the build so far, and I'm not entirely happy with the results- but it will do.

ccoyle
03-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Our Polish friends seem to have these cowlings down to an art ... maybe one of them will tell us how it's done.

dansls1
03-22-2009, 06:26 AM
The cowling looks great to me! I'm not sure I've seen better without getting into filling and painting.

Yu Gyokubun
03-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Cowling is the most difficult section in paper modeling especially for Hayate of which cowling has tight curvature but I think your build is very nice.

member_3
03-22-2009, 08:37 AM
I have to agree with Dan and YuG - that's as nice a cowling as I have ever seen. I'd be proud if mine turned out half as nice!

GreMir
03-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Short of going the filling-the-seams/airbrushing/varnishing route I don't think you can get any better than that with the cowl.
Great job.

Don Boose
03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
That cowling looks essentially flawless to me. I would be SO happoy if I could build a cowling like that!

Don

milenio3
03-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Very good build on the wings!

g force
03-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for all of the encouraging words about the cowling. From a normal viewing distance (not the viewpoint of a macro lens), it actually looks pretty convincing. There are some additional touches that I am adding to the cowling (and the entire model) to enhance realism. In my research, it appears that the quality of the paint used on the KI-84 was not very good, and it easily chipped and got worn off - exposing the bare metal underneath. The places that were most vulnerable to this wear and tear were: the wing and fuselage side where the pilot would climb in and out of the cockpit, the leading edges of the wings, and the front edge of the engine cowling. To further enhance the already superb artwork on this kit, I am adding a few touches of paint here and there to simulate the shiny bare metal where the paint has worn or chipped away (Tamiya X-11 chrome acrylic). You can see the beginnings of this on my cowling - and I will need to be careful not to overdo it.

willygoat
03-25-2009, 08:03 AM
The weathering is a great touch. Very convincing! I to think your cowling is just smashing :D If I ever got one to look half that nice I'd never have confidence problems again :p

Don Boose
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Outstanding weathering! The model looks unbelievably real.

Don

g force
03-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, I have been quite busy with other things lately, so I am making slow progress. I have finished all of the detail parts in the main cockpit assembly as well as the left side interior wall.

g force
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Here are a few shots after glueing up the left side wall to the main cockpit assembly. The tiny, fiddly parts of the cockpit are extremely time consuming. Now on to the other side...

dansls1
03-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Very nice job on the fiddly bits ;)

GreMir
03-26-2009, 07:35 PM
It's a shame that all this detail will dissapear when cockpit is closed...
At least you will still have photos ;)

B-Manic
03-26-2009, 08:20 PM
That is a really beautiful cockpit Gordon. Nice job.

milenio3
03-27-2009, 10:18 AM
It looks like all those electronics really will work!!

g force
03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
It's a shame that all this detail will dissapear when cockpit is closed...
At least you will still have photos ;)

Yeah, I thought about leaving out some of the parts because they will be difficult, if not impossible to see once the cockpit is all closed up - but I would feel like I cheated, and would never be able to sleep at night. And, you're right, the photos are a nice documentation and record of the cockpit interior.

Yu Gyokubun
03-28-2009, 09:02 AM
As already members mentioned, impeccable cockpit parts!!!!!!!!!!

g force
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
My latest progress on the "Hayate": the tail section of the fuselage. Although the cockpit is not yet fully complete, I could not resist beginning work on the rest of the fuselage - to me, this is the most fun part. Here are a few pictures of the assembly, and a few "dry-fit" shots with the rest of the model.

g force
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
More pics...

birder
04-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Very nice! Love the cockpit detail...wow:)

Don Boose
04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes! It's a magnificent model.

Don

eatcrow2
04-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Looking great!!! Nice detailing.........

g force
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all of the compliments! It's always at this point in a model, I feel like I'm going to really mess something up and have to throw away countless hours of work. Needless to say, progress is slow and calculated right now. I am hoping to find some time today to skin the main cockpit portion of the fuselage (the most critical-if this isn't perfect, nothing else will go together correctly). Stay tuned...

g force
04-23-2009, 10:19 PM
So, the cockpit side walls are now complete and the cockpit is closed up. It was sort of sad to cover up all of that detail - but at least the instrument panel and seat are still highly visible! The next step will be the exterior skinning of this section of the fuselage...

g force
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I first cut out the exterior covering of the cockpit, and colored the edges. Next, I butt-joint glued the rear portions together to make a complete piece with only an opening for the cockpit. I then pre-shaped the part and dry tested the fit. Ok. Now for the most nerve wracking part...

g force
04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
The exterior cockpit covering is now glued in place (and the correct place!), and I am as happy as I could expect to be with the results. Now I can breathe easy and proceed. This part of the build is really fun, but it is also very stressful.

redhorse
04-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Looks quite incredible to me! What kind of glue did you use for the final skinning?

g force
04-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I have tried MANY glues (both solvent and water based), and my best results have been using Tombow Mono Aqua. I use it almost exclusively now - with an occasional dab of CA glue for metal parts or when I want an instant fix on something. The great thing about the Tombow Aqua glue is that is starts clear and dries clear, and is extremely easy to wipe off of the paper finish if you accidentally let some go astray. It also dries very slowly on paper surfaces when exposed to air - giving you extra time to apply glue to a broad area, while at the same time, it grabs relatively quickly when bonding parts together - but with some forgiving time to reposition. All in all, I would say that it is the best glue ever made - but because it is water based, you have to be careful how much you apply or you may experience some slight warping after it dries. Sorry for the diatribe, but you need to go buy a case of it and forget the rest.

ccoyle
04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Hard to argue with that.

dansls1
04-24-2009, 05:53 AM
Looks great!

GreMir
04-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Excellent work!
I have to speed up building of all the older models so I can finally get to those latest masterpieces....

redhorse
04-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the tip Gordon, just went and ordered some. My glue collection grows yet again :p

g force
04-26-2009, 07:37 PM
I think you will be happy with it - I know everyone has their own opinion on what glue works best for them, but this stuff is just so easy to use and yields beautiful results. Stay tuned for more build progress...

g force
04-27-2009, 07:20 PM
A bit more progress. The central portion (cockpit section) of the plane's fuselage is now glued to the wing construction - so things are beginning to take shape. It is at this time that you can begin to see what fits well and what doesn't. Some small gaps exist, so I will need to perform some final retouching here and there on the seams with a bit of paint.

member_3
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
This is a really crisp, clean build. One of the things I notice about all you top-notch builders is cleanliness of the model (no glue gobs or drips) and the near perfection of your seams and joins. While not a huge fan of weathering, this model has beautifully done weathering that enhances the realism. I will continue to watch with great interest.

g force
04-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Ron,
thanks for considering my build "top-notch", although I feel like there is much room for improvement. I do try to cut out parts as crisply and precisely as I can - in fact, I probably spend more time cutting parts off of the sheet than I do assembling them. It may sound crazy, but if elements are cut out "near perfect", the whole assembly becomes very fluid without a lot of fussing around to fit. Also, these more recent Halinski kits have such exacting fit (to the point that I do not know how they do it) that it is imperative to cut very precisely. :) Stay tuned for more...

ccoyle
04-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Also, these more recent Halinski kits have such exacting fit (to the point that I do not know how they do it) that it is imperative to cut very precisely.

I'm curious about this statement, because I have read elsewhere about the exact fits of AH kits. I haven't built one yet, but I own several. The oldest is the Wildcat kit, which I believe was published in 1998; its graphics are obviously a step down from the newer kits. All the other AH kits I own are 2003 or newer. Was there a clear demarcation in the evolution of AH kits between older/newer with regards to the parts fit and/or graphics?

GreMir
04-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Chris,
It looks like the 2000-2001 publication year (Hellcat, Hayabusa, Hien) might be considered as a first quality leap forward with the second being year 2003 (P-51D, Fw-190A, P-39N). Every following model was adding something more off course.

g force
05-01-2009, 05:21 AM
More progress...

DaveP67
05-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Wow.. looks great so far! Do you use balsa for the bulkheads?

dansls1
05-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Wow.. looks great so far! Do you use balsa for the bulkheads?

Gordon will have to answer to be sure, but it has the look to me of the laser cut formers that are available for sale.

cardmodeler
05-01-2009, 09:11 AM
This plane is coming along very nicely, indeed! I have a couple of Halinski kits that I look at every now and then, only to put them back in the drawer thinking that I could never do them justice. You indicated in your second post that you were "relatively new" to this hobby. Looks to me like you've been at quite a while, judging by the skills you are exhibiting in this build! Keep it up and post more pics, please!

g force
05-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Yes, I am using laser cut frames - purchased online from Moduni.com.

Don Boose
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Your work continues to be exceptionally clean and precise.

Don

g force
05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I have continued the model with the front section enclosure, and underside wheel well enclosure. Just some minor progress, but here are some photos.

Don Boose
05-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Very impressive wheel wells -- the Hal model is superb and your construction is flawless.

Incidentally, there are some very good drawings of Ki-84s of the Akeno Flying Training Divison (Kukyōdō Hikō Shidan) done by an artist who goes by the name "Taro" at the J-Aircraft site: The Ki-84 Drwings (http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=7172.0)

Don

GreMir
05-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Most impressive!
I'm very interested how the designer solved the fillet shape in the wheel bay area - this might be a tricky part to do, but I'm sure you will be able to overcome it (and show rest of us the way)

g force
05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the link! You know, there are quite few actual photos of this aircraft to be found - and probably even fewer artists renderings of it. Always good to see...

g force
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Most impressive!
I'm very interested how the designer solved the fillet shape in the wheel bay area - this might be a tricky part to do, but I'm sure you will be able to overcome it (and show rest of us the way)

It is a very unique way that the designer solved this one - and if built carefully, can be quite smooth and beautiful. Let's only hope that I can execute it without disaster, because it will be challenging. It is basically a series of thin strips of various shapes that, when properly formed and butt-join glued together, will create the desired complex wrap around this portion of the aircraft. (see attached image of printed parts) I will tackle this one when I am ready...

Papercut
05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes, I am using laser cut frames - purchased online from Moduni.com. I noticed you said you were using parts purchased from Moduni. I have registered and want to order, but for some reason I have had reservations about putting my card number out there and how long does it take to get a order. I guess what I want to know is, do you feel ok with ordering from them??? Thanks for you help. Rick

Yu Gyokubun
05-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Let's only hope that I can execute it without disaster, because it will be challenging.

Seeing your flawless build so far, I am quite sure you can excecute it nicely.

g force
05-11-2009, 06:32 AM
I noticed you said you were using parts purchased from Moduni. I have registered and want to order, but for some reason I have had reservations about putting my card number out there and how long does it take to get a order. I guess what I want to know is, do you feel ok with ordering from them??? Thanks for you help. Rick

I have placed many orders with them and received my shipments very well packed - but it does take about two weeks to ship here to the states. They seem very reputable and I haven't had any issues, but I did notice recently that their security certificate had expired on the website - not sure why, but that always makes me wary. I don't think you will have any issues, though.

g force
05-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Seeing your flawless build so far, I am quite sure you can excecute it nicely.

Thanks, Yu. I have seen some of your work - and coming from you that is a great compliment.

Papercut
05-11-2009, 05:02 PM
I have placed many orders with them and received my shipments very well packed - but it does take about two weeks to ship here to the states. They seem very reputable and I haven't had any issues, but I did notice recently that their security certificate had expired on the website - not sure why, but that always makes me wary. I don't think you will have any issues, though. Thanks for your reply to my question. I too had a issue because of the security certificate. I fire that order off now even though I am willing to wait the two weeks to get the items. They offer a large selection for the paper modeler. :DRick

Papercut
05-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I have another question in reguards to scale. I have been collecting large four engine and two engine bombers in 1:33 scale and I noticed that 1/32 PE seems to work for the 1:33 scale as well, but when I look at a 1/32 plastic kit, the scale seems really larger than the 1:33? Is this a metric scale 1:33 or is it the same as a 1" to 32' scale as we are use too. I hope I do not sound stupid asking this question!!!!!!:eek:Rick

shrike
05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
There's a 3% difference between them (33/32) OTOH, that's probably also the acceptable margin of error for the kits or PE anyway.

g force
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
The next stage in the build progress is the completion of the fuselage front covering (aft of the engine/cowling). The front section that the engine attaches to is a concentric tapering shape that required careful shaping around a series of oval formers.

g force
05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
The front covering is then attached to the main aircraft fuselage. Because the transition between the two is an extreme change in angle, I attempted to apply a slight "curl" around the outer edge of the front covering - thus making the curve appear smoother and more gradual. This was done with a small burnishing tool against a rubber mat.

g force
05-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I have now assembled the left horizontal stabilizer and attached it to the tail section.

ccoyle
05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Really coming along nicely, Gordon.

g force
05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
The tail section is complete - so I have now glued the two main assemblies together, and it is looking like an airplane now!

redhorse
05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
This looks so good. Excellent job.

Don Boose
05-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Outstandingly precise and clean work!

Don

eatcrow2
05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Excellent work Gordon!!! The seams on this seem flawless...

GreMir
05-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Excellent work!

cdwheatley
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Absolutely outstanding! This a level of construction and craftsmanship that I aspire to but in reality can only dream of.

g force
05-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the kind words. There are a few goofs here and there, but it's a learning process - and I will do even better on the next model. Speaking of the next model - I have determined that I think I want to build a Spitfire, so I have purchased three (Halinski, of course): Spitfire Vb, Spitfire IXc, and Spitfire Vb Trop. Any suggestions on which to build?

billy.leliveld
06-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Did you know there is a free merlin engine for the Spitfire?
It's here; Alinovy modely 3D model Brawn GP (http://www.amod.estranky.cz/)
Or here; http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/filebase.php?fileid=399 (you have to registrate)

cdwheatley
06-06-2009, 03:37 AM
The first file is no longer there.

g force
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, not much progress on the KI-84 lately, as I have been busy with many other things. I did have a moment to sit down and make a few cuts, so I decided to begin tackling the remaining fuselage skinning - and definitely not the easiest part.

Jimmy Three Shoes
06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Very cool. Looks like a small insect, so intricate!

g force
06-26-2009, 09:25 PM
More progress photos. The fuselage skin around the wheel wells and wings is complete. Strangely, this has been the most difficult part of the model so far. It requires near perfect shaping of some TINY parts - so my execution is far from what is required, but it will do.

g force
06-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Built and added the head restraint. You can also see in the pics that I am enhancing the weathering a bit by adding some carbon streaking from the engine exhausts and machine guns.

dansls1
06-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Nice job - I'm most impressed with the pieces sitting by themselves holding that shape. I hope someday I get my forming skills up to being able to do that - working on it, but not there yet ;)

buffalowings
06-26-2009, 09:44 PM
that is some amazing work, keep up the awesome work

cdavenport
06-26-2009, 10:03 PM
That is a beautiful piece of work! Do you still have any sanity left?

cdwheatley
06-27-2009, 01:23 AM
...my execution is far from what is required, but it will do.
It will do? IT WILL DO?! Looks pretty darn near perfect to me! :)

Don Boose
06-27-2009, 02:27 PM
This is a truly amazing model and build. You have a very sure touch with the enhanced weathering and the entire airplane is a thing of wonder. You are doing full justice to this historic aircraft.

Don

g force
06-30-2009, 07:38 AM
That is a beautiful piece of work! Do you still have any sanity left?

Thanks. I think the radial engine is going to push me over the edge of sanity - so I'm putting it off until last...

milenio3
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
The tail section is complete - so I have now glued the two main assemblies together, and it is looking like an airplane now!

It sure does not look like a Corsair!! (Old joke around here ;))

Your modeling skills are way beyond what we call a starter. Cuts, seams, curves and bends all they are excellent! :eek:

Your thread is sure an inspiration for many of us. Keep on going!!

g force
07-02-2009, 01:17 PM
It sure does not look like a Corsair!! (Old joke around here ;))

Your modeling skills are way beyond what we call a starter. Cuts, seams, curves and bends all they are excellent! :eek:

Your thread is sure an inspiration for many of us. Keep on going!!

Thanks for the kind words. The model is getting close to completion, and I am very happy and excited about the way it is turning out - although it is at this point in a model that I seem to mess something up, so I am proceeding with caution...

kenlwest
07-05-2009, 07:10 PM
An absolute masterpiece!

Ken

GreMir
07-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Beautifull work!

Golden Bear
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I solve the problem of radial engines by doing them first! Then the stupid landing gear which just grinds me down.

This really is a sharp looking build. I bet that your engine is going to be a work of art. My basic hint for radial engines is to watch for height creep on the cylinders. Maybe cut a little tight on the horizontal lines.

Carl

g force
07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I decided to go ahead and complete the engine cowling by constructing the air intake scoop and attaching it to the cowling. This was not the most difficult part of the build, but did require some very careful cutting and shaping due to its small size.

ccoyle
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Nicely done, Gordon! I suspect this one will be a real beaut when done.

cdwheatley
07-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Just perfect!

DaveP67
07-08-2009, 05:12 AM
Looks Great! Cant wait to see the motor :)

g force
07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
OK. So I figured I would go ahead and begin building the radial engine. There are MANY very small and repetitive parts, so I anticipate taking breaks and working on some other assemblies while the engine is in progress. Here are some shots of instruction diagrams and uncut parts.

birder
07-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Looks very similar to the A6m2 engine, if you can find rlwhitt's build thread it will help you, did me, and also I cheated and made small glue tabs on the cylinders, made the heads and valley peice separate, formed the case, and glued the cylinders to the case before the heads and valve covers. I also made small glue tabs for the valve covers, can hardly see them to edge glue, so these things made the zero engine easier. Opposite side push rods like the zero, too. Rick's build thread is over at z and still is as far as I know

g force
07-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Can't seem to find the build thread, but thanks for your tips! I will no doubt need to refer to others experiences as I build this engine.

g force
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Here are some shots of my progress with the first radial engine assemblies. Stay tuned...

Don Boose
07-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm always glad to see this thread pop up, Gordon.

That engine looks formidable, but it sounds like Glen gives good advice. His Sakae engine was a thing of beauty.

And this one will be, too. You've got the magic hands and a fine kit to begin with. Those early shots show a flawless crankcase.

Don

g force
07-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm always glad to see this thread pop up, Gordon.

That engine looks formidable, but it sounds like Glen gives good advice. His Sakae engine was a thing of beauty.

And this one will be, too. You've got the magic hands and a fine kit to begin with. Those early shots show a flawless crankcase.

Don

Thanks. I'm always glad to see others following my thread. Also, I will take any advice and tips I can get (this is the first radial engine I've constructed, and it's a bit daunting).

vanhalen
07-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Hi Gordon,

I followed your building reports for a long time....and I am keen about your work.....so you donīt have to be daunted by something...go and get this engine by the bal*** oh sorry, there could be adolescents following this thread which canīt share my enthusiastic feelings about your builds:D
Go on, Gordon and show us the final result of that incredible beauty.

Greetings

Stephan

PS.:By the way....yesterday I visited MODUNI here in Hamburg and there was a little tiny Nakajima KI-44 IIc "Shoki" by GPM yelling and crying...obviously lost his parents during the Pearl Harbour Attack...so I adopted her and a canopy as an optional accessory:D

Don Boose
07-18-2009, 03:23 PM
We can never have too many Shokis, Stephan.

Still tracking this thread, Gordon.

Don

g force
07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi Gordon,

I followed your building reports for a long time....and I am keen about your work.....so you donīt have to be daunted by something...go and get this engine by the bal*** oh sorry, there could be adolescents following this thread which canīt share my enthusiastic feelings about your builds:D
Go on, Gordon and show us the final result of that incredible beauty.

Greetings

Stephan

PS.:By the way....yesterday I visited MODUNI here in Hamburg and there was a little tiny Nakajima KI-44 IIc "Shoki" by GPM yelling and crying...obviously lost his parents during the Pearl Harbour Attack...so I adopted her and a canopy as an optional accessory:D

Thank you for your compliments, and I'm glad that you are following my thread! I hope that I don't disappoint with the final result. I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks, so my progress has been on hold - but I am getting back into the Hayate tonight...

GreMir
07-28-2009, 06:48 PM
He is not the only one following your thread :D

Don Boose
07-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear that construction will resume.

Don

g force
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
While construction of the engine will be ongoing, I decided to build the tail rudder. I love the Japanese writing on this part, and it gives me joy to see it come together - it gives the aircraft a unique character.

g force
07-29-2009, 11:02 PM
More photos of the tail rudder construction. After the internal frame was assembled, I formed and glued in place the upper section. The lower section was far more difficult to shape, but with a little patience it came out pretty satisfactory. This element had another "cut out after glueing" portion, which really helped to hold the shape before and after cutting.

g force
07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Here are some images of the completed tail rudder on the aircraft.

Tim Crowe
07-30-2009, 01:10 AM
That's a tidy looking tail section - It's coming together nicely

Tim

pahorace
07-30-2009, 01:40 AM
This extraordinary tail section, it seems very real!
Fantastic job.

Orazio

dansls1
07-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Looks great Gordon. I feel your pain about the difficulty of that bottom piece - but yours came out very nice!

Don Boose
07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
You continue to do flawless work on this beautiful airplane, Gordon.

I like the Japanese characters on the tail, too. In the case of your airplane, I find them somewhat enigmatic.

It may be that this particular aircraft was very famous and Shrike or Charlie C or Mike Krol will immediately identify the aircraft, the pilot, and the name on the tail, but I am at the office with no references except a couple of Japanese and Chinese dictionaries and my computer and, while the top character is clearly riku [land, earth], the bottom one defeats me.

The 50th Sentai traditionally named its aircraft with the names written in (usually) white kanji [Chinese] characters at the bottom of the rudder [See the discussion on this in the J-Aircraft Forum, from which I have drawn this information: ]50th Sentai namings (http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=3376.0)

The 1st Chūtai aircraft (red sentai marking) usually had the names of birds, so I would expect the characters on your model to be the name of a bird. However, there were exceptions, some 1st Chūtai aircraft names were not birds (wives’ names, patriotic exhortations, and evocative images (soaring in the sky) were sometimes used).

The 2nd Chūtai (yellow sentai markings) aircraft usually had such names as “reverence,” “faithfulness,” and “filial Piety.”

The 3rd Chūtai (white sentai markings) were named after types of wind, such as Asakaze (Morning Wind) or Kamikaze (divine wind).

Note that the 50th Hikō Sentai used a non-standard set of colors. Most, but not all, sentais used blue for the headquarters chūtai, white for the 1st, red for the 2nd, and yellow for the 3rd. There were, however, exceptions.

I hope that one of the aforementioned modelers or Yu or Shinji, or some other Forum member with Japanese language and IJAAF expertise will weigh in here to solve the mystery.

Don

birder
07-30-2009, 11:12 AM
While changing topic slightly, just an overall comment on the nice job and the fine models Halinski has to build, really nice!:)

g force
07-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I would be really interested to know what the markings on the tail mean. Is it some sort of squadron designation? Also, the location of the markings (at the bottom section of the tail rudder) is unlike most WWII aircraft. They usually have markings boldly painted right on the main fuselage section or near the cockpit. I wonder why this is?

Don Boose
07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Gordon -

The red lightning bolt was the emblem of the 1st Chūtai (Squadron or Company) of the 50th Hikō Sentai (Flying Regiment or Air Group) of the Imperial Japananese Army Air Force. That unit mostly flew Ki-43 and Ki-61 aircraft.

The markings at the bottom of the rudder are a two-character phrase that I have been unable to translate so far that distinguishes the individual aircraft (see my Post #138, above).

I will do some further checking when I get home and have access to my references. Eventually, I expect one of the IJAAF markings mavens (such as Shrike, Charlie C, or Mike Krol) or one of our Japanese-speaking Forum members (YuG or Ruf0us, for example) will weigh in with some authoritative information.

Don

dansls1
07-30-2009, 02:22 PM
If it helps any, the aircraft depicted is that of ace Yojiro Ofusa (later Higuchi) of the 50th Sentai.

ruf0us
07-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Hi Gordon,

Your Hayate looks good! Nice work on the control surfaces.

I believe that the two characters on the rudder reads "Mutsu", which is the old name of the area around Miyagi prefecture, where Yojiro Ofusa was born.

I hope this bit of information helps.
Shinji

g force
07-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi Gordon,

Your Hayate looks good! Nice work on the control surfaces.

I believe that the two characters on the rudder reads "Mutsu", which is the old name of the area around Miyagi prefecture, where Yojiro Ofusa was born.

I hope this bit of information helps.
Shinji

Thanks! I did a bit more research, and found that there was an IJN Battleship called "Mutsu", so I wonder if there is some relation here? I found this box cover for a Hasegawa model kit of the Mutsu Battleship, and sure enough the markings on the Hayate tail match those on the Mutsu box! Interesting.

Don Boose
07-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the input, Shinji. I had just been going through home references before checking this thread and had also found that the characters 陸奥 mean “Mutsu” with the second character being a rather stylized version of:
奥</SPAN>

Gordon: This “Mutsu” refers to the prefecture where Ofusa was born. The only connection with the battleship is that the battleships is also named after that prefecture.

Based on Dan’s earlier identification of the pilot as Warrant Officer Yojiro Ofusa (also rendered in many sources as Ohbusa), I was able to read his bio in Ikuhiko Hata, Yasuho Izawa, and Christopher Shores, Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and Their Aces 1931-1945, London: Grub Street, 2002. He joined the 50th Sentai at Mektila, Burma, in January 1943, was badly injured while attacking and shooting down a B-24, recovered, and went on to score 19 credited victories. He was one of the few decorated IJAAF aces to survive the war.

I also found a painting of this specific aircraft in Henry Sakaida, Japanese Army Air Force Aces 1937-45, Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No. 13, Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 1997, pp. 49 and 95. I think the caption of the painting contains an error, since it reads, “Ki-84-Ko of the 1st Chutai/103rd Sentai, flown by Capt Tomojiro Ogawa, Itami Airfield, Japan, January 1945. The white kanji character on the tail reads ‘Mutsu’ after Tomojiro Ofusa’s native prefecture back in Japan . . . Most of the aircraft in the 1st Chutai were named after birds. Ofusa won the Bukosho on 10 June 1945 for distinguished service. Amongst his 19 victories were five Mustangs and two Thunderbolts.”

I have put the questionable parts in bold. The sentai marking is very definitely that of the 50th, not the 103rd Hikō Sentai. The pilot appears in Sakaida's caption both as “Captain Tomojiro Ogawa” [an actual person who was the hikotai commander of the 103rd -- hikōtai literally means “flying unit,” it was the air combat component of the sentai] and as “Tomojiro Ofusa” (I can find no record of any person by that name, but the later reference to 19 victories is entirely consistent with Yojiro Ofusa). Furthermore, the 1st Chūtai of the 50th Sentai named their aircraft after birds, while I can find no evidence that the 103rd Sentai did so.

There is also a little confusion about the location, since the 50th Sentai was in Vietnam in January 1945, not in Itami, Japan (the 103rd was based at Itami at that time). And if he were stationed at Itami, why would Sakaida refer to his “native prefecture back in Japan”?

The 50th moved around a lot, being based in Vietnam (August-October 1944; January-April 1945), Burma (October 1944-January January 1945); Cambodia (April-July 1945); and Formosa (July-September 1945). The 50th also sent detachments to Malaya and Thailand during this time. Richard M. Bueschel, Nakajima Ki.84a/b Hayate in Japanese Army Air Force Service, Canterbury, UK: Osprey Publishing Company, 1971, Plate c, shows an aircraft in markings identical to yours, Gordon, but without the Mutsu kanji. It is identified as of the “50th Air Combat Regiment, 1st Company, Formosa-Japanese Home Islands, Spring 1945.”

Putting all this together, and subject to correction by someone who knows more about this than I, my conclusion, Gordon, is that you are building “Mutsu,” the aircraft of Warrant Officer Yojiro Ofusa, probably during the last months of the war, flying from a base in Formosa (Taiwan).

Don

dansls1
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
If I would have taken the time earlier, some of the information you provided is in the English translation of the instructions / fluff sheet from Halinski:

"The below model presents Ki-84, which were using by Yojiro Ofusa - ace from 50 Sentai.

Yojiro Ofusa was born in 1918, in Miyagi, Japan. In the middle of the '30's he joined the Army and took part on fights with Russians as a soldier of infantry. Results of Japanese aircraft with the fights with the Russians impressed him, so he decided to join the aircraft and become a pilot of fighters.
After the training (he has finished it in 1942) he has been sent to Indochina. In January 1943 he joined 50 Sentai in Burma. In 24 November 1943, during the attack on Liberators from 7th Bomber Team, he shot down one aircraft, but his shoter came in time and shot to Oscar (Ki-43), which was attacked them. Ofusa (he was hurt) jumped from the aircraft and the next 41 days he spent in hospital. In August 1944 50 Sentai got the aircrafts Ki-84 and after 2-months training was sent to Mingaladon, in Burma. During one month the unit shot down 25 Ally's aircrafts, but their main mission was attack the earth targets.
In June 1945 for his attainments he get a very high distinction: Bukosho, B-class. Then, he was one of the best pilot from 50 Sentai. He shot down about 19 aircrafts (five P51, two P47, 4 Hurricanes and one Spitfire), damaged and sink down aircraft-carrier near the Akyab, on Indian Ocean. He has been shot down five times. Last months of war his unit spent in Formosa. After the war he has changed the surname for Higuchi and settled in family area."

g force
07-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Don, thank you for your vast amount of knowledge on the subject! Another aspect of Halinski's kits that I really appreciate - their historical accuracy.

Don Boose
07-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Gordon -- It was a pleasure to do what I could to identify your airplane. My research skills pale in comparison with your model building artistry!

Dan -- I'm glad I got that posted first! And I am even gladder that my info tracks with the Halinsky data. I'm still curious as to how the very reliable Henry Sakaida managed to have that garbled caption occur. On the other hand, there are a few very embarrassing glitches in both my recent books about which I am also curious.

The only downside is that I will have to pay for the enjoyable hours I spent looking at the photos of Gordon's splendid model and trying to track down the information, since I did most of it during duty hours and will now spend Saturday in the office, doing the student evaluations I was supposed to be doing today.

Cheers!

Don

kenlwest
07-31-2009, 07:26 PM
An absolutely stunning example of patience and skill. Beautiful job!

Ken

g force
08-06-2009, 05:25 AM
I have continued with construction of the control surfaces, moving on to the wings. This part was not too difficult, except for the very tiny elements that make up the control mechanism - and its tiny curved coverings.

GreMir
08-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Outstanding work!

Don Boose
08-06-2009, 07:05 AM
I envy your skill at cutting and shaping those tiny parts, such as elevator horns, Gordon. The end result is absolutely perfect.

Don

g force
08-07-2009, 06:13 AM
I figured it was about time to start working on the landing gear so the Hayate can stand on its own legs. I begin here with the landing gear covering elements.

Don Boose
08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Nice clean work.

Don

g force
08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
The build progress is painfully slow right now, as I am trying to enjoy the very short New England summer - but I manage to find an hour here and there to play around with paper and glue. I find it oddly therapeutic. I am starting to close in on this one, so completion will hopefully be soon. The real question will be: what to build next? I have a couple more Halinski's lying around waiting to be cut up, and I'm trying to decide between:

1. Focke Wulf 190 A-8
2. Spitfire IXc
3. Curtiss P-40e

any suggestions?

Don Boose
08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, if you don't have another Japanese aircraft in the queue, my own preference would be to see you apply your exceptional skills to the P-40e or the Spit IX.

Don

John Bowden
08-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Focke Wulf 190 A-8 (because it is not an Me-109)

g force
08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Focke Wulf 190 A-8 (because it is not an Me-109)

do you have something against the Me-109?

g force
08-17-2009, 06:15 PM
After preparing and cutting out the main landing gear coverings, I decided to go ahead and build the rear landing gear assembly in its entirety. There were a few small parts to cut, shape and glue -but surprisingly, the most challenging part was sanding and shaping the rear wheel itself. These little bits of detail on the exterior are what start to really bring the aircraft to life.

g force
08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok, back to the main landing gear. I made the wheel/tire assemblies in the following steps:

1. cut the disc shaped elements from the laser cut frame sheet.
2. laminate them together in the proper order
3. I then mounted the wheels to a dremel tool and spun them while sanding, to remove the "stepped" look.
4. I then coated the sanded wheels with CA glue and let it dry to harden them and eliminate the "fuzzies" from the sanding process.
5. I followed up with a final sanding with fine grit sandpaper.
6. then, 2 coats of matte black acrylic paint.
7. the wheel covers themselves were then glued into the tire elements.
8. a light coat of clear acrylic spray was applied.

Don Boose
08-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Outstanding undercarriage work, Gordon!

Don

g force
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks. And now to complete the landing gear...

I formed the shape of the undercarriage legs (following the provided template in the kit) out of .8 mm brass wire. I then tightly rolled the paper leg parts around the brass wire to form their cylindrical shape, glueing as I went.

The shock absorber links were the most difficult part of this assembly, because they were tiny parts made up of more even tinier parts. My eyes hurt afterwards, but they are done.

I painted the internal shaft of the shocks with a chrome paint to give an illusion of stainless steel, and finally glued the wheels and landing gear coverings in place.

Now, to give the bird its newly constructed legs...

Wily
08-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow! Outstanding!!

g force
08-19-2009, 01:35 AM
And the landing gear is complete.

GreMir
08-19-2009, 04:20 AM
Simply outstanding!

Don Boose
08-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Yes. This is truly outstanding work. Many thanks for the step-by-step photos.

Don

Nik0lai
08-19-2009, 05:52 AM
where did you get it?

DaveP67
08-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Awesome work! Hard to make landing gear look right, but you did it.

dansls1
08-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Still looking very nice!

Jinrai Butai
08-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Good work, especially the cockpit, instruments panel and your assemble style...

I hope in a future my models looks just like your hayate...

Thanks and regards

GreMir
08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
where did you get it?
USA
Paper Model Store (http://www.papermodelstore.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=2936)
Poland
.: WWW.MODEL-HOBBY.PL :. Internetowy Sklep Modelarski - Modele Kartonowe, Modele plastikowe, Akcesoria modelarskie (http://model-hobby.pl/index.php?f=zbiorcze&cid=&pid=&keywords=hayate)
GPM - modele kartonowe (http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=produkt&edycja=1559)

Ron0909
08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm speechless.....Simply astonishing work

Ron

g force
08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Well, I just felt like building the machine guns - so I started with the starboard 20mm cannon on the wing. It's a very small thing tightly wrapped around a brass wire. Not the easiest, but quite satisfying!

g force
08-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Here are some more photos of the details that are beginning to take shape on this aircraft build.

Don Boose
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
The machines guns are little jewels.

Don

g force
08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Speaking of little jewels, I decided it was time to get the HUD (Heads-Up Display) assembly out of the way. Not that it wasn't fun to build, but it took a LOT of patience.

pahorace
08-25-2009, 01:31 AM
This is an extraordinary thread.
Is always a pleasure to observe how the Masters work.
This collimator is truly a jewel.....modeling.

Orazio

GreMir
08-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Gordon,
It's not a HUD, just optical gun sight, but what you achieved is outstanding!

g force
08-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Gordon,
It's not a HUD, just optical gun sight, but what you achieved is outstanding!

you're right, it is just an optical gun sight. But, in a way it is the precursor to the HUD. Anyway, thanks.

dansls1
08-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Every time I see an update I just want to say 'wow!'. I do have a question though - your gun sight is incredibly square / straight for the small size. I know that the Hal kits generally have them as boxes to fold up - I'm assuming this one does too (I don't remember for sure if this is in my collection and all my models are packed up to move). Did you score and fold the piece or cut it completely apart and re-glue it?

g force
08-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Believe it or not, I scored and folded the parts. It was not easy. I thought about cutting it all apart to get clean edges, but the parts were so tiny that I thought I would never be able to re-assemble them. I used a sculptors needle to make the scores - it has a very fine, but rounded point. This allows me to press down hard with one pass, and the paper does not get cut though but has a nice deep groove in it. After folding, I touch up the folded edge with color (because some white paper gets exposed). If anyone is looking for a good scoring tool, get a sculptors needle. I have tried many different things, and this thing is the best!

dansls1
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks! I have a set of similar tools - they are hobby 'scribes' I guess. It came in a set of 4, one straight and 3 with various curves on them. I use the straight one to puncture lines so I can score the back, but it has a burr on it that rips the paper if I try to score with it. I guess I should take a file to it and smooth the burr and try using it ;)

g force
11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Just an update for anyone who may have been following my build thread of the KI-84 - I have been in the process of selling my house, packing it up and moving into a new house...well, that is done and I am hoping to get back into my modeling and finish this little bird once and for all. Stay tuned...

redhorse
11-17-2009, 11:49 AM
That's always a fun process! Glad you're finished with the move, and I'm looking forward to more on this model.

Don Boose
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
It's good to hear from you Gordon and to know that one of my favorite builds will resume once the house moving is completed.

All good wishes,

Don

g force
08-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Well...after a LONG hiatus from this build - it is back alive, and I hope to be finishing it soon. I was a bit rusty with my modeling skills, but it came back in no time. I had forgotten how much fun I was having with this one. So, I decided it was time to put together the propellors/airscrew assembly.

ccoyle
08-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Very nice! Glad to see I'm not the only one who plays with propellers! :o

Lex
08-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Very nice! Glad to see I'm not the only one who plays with propellers!

Seconded......

g force
08-29-2010, 01:22 PM
I must admit that once the assembly was complete, I sat there spinning it and marveling at it for a bit...then I snapped out of it. Next...beginning of the cockpit canopy assembly (yes, I will put off completion of the radial engine until the very end!)

g force
08-29-2010, 09:53 PM
More progress...this time beginning the cockpit canopy assembly. This is very difficult and precise work. I have done a few, but each time I try a slightly different technique to see what works best. For this one, I decided to cut out and glue on the exterior frame first to the vacu-formed canopy, then cut the clear plastic. This seemed to work quite well, and made for cleaner, easier handling. Any tips from the pros would be welcome here...

g force
08-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Some images of the rear canopy section cut out and glued to the fuselage.

ccoyle
08-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Gordon, what kind of glue are you using for the frames/canopy joints?

birder
08-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Looks like a full size plane!

g force
08-30-2010, 05:06 AM
Gordon, what kind of glue are you using for the frames/canopy joints?

I am using a liquid CA glue, with a brush applicator. I typically hold the parts together- just touching, and apply a small amount on the back of the joint.

cotlet
08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Pleasure to watch, Gordon. I like your weathering touches enhancing printed details. I hope you have returned to paper models permanently, because it would be a loss for this forum. And I hope in your next model you won't go the easy way of using photo-etched parts;) .... just kidding, whatever works for you is fine as long you produce such results.

Don Boose
08-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Wonderful model. I'm glad to be able to see photos of it again.

Don

g force
09-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Pleasure to watch, Gordon. I like your weathering touches enhancing printed details. I hope you have returned to paper models permanently, because it would be a loss for this forum. And I hope in your next model you won't go the easy way of using photo-etched parts;) .... just kidding, whatever works for you is fine as long you produce such results.

Thanks for your compliments. Yes, the photo-etched parts were an experiment - and while I like the results, my next model (which is to be the Halinski FW 190 A-8 - Heinz Bar) will have a purely paper instrument panel.

g force
09-03-2010, 06:40 PM
A bit more progress on the canopy...the front of the cockpit canopy now complete.

kenlwest
09-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Outstanding! Doesn't get more realistic than this!

Ken

g force
05-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Well...after a LOOOONG hiatus from building, I finally decided it was time to finish the KI-84 - and perhaps even move on to some new models. Here is the first photo of the finished model (more to come).

g force
05-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Another shot...

Isaac
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Truelly a great build!

How many hours would you estimate it did take to build it?

I have this and two more recent Halnski kits of super detailed Japanese fighters.

Thanks

Isaac

g force
05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Honestly, I have no idea how many hours I put into this model. Quite a lot, but every one was a joy! I highly recommend this kit. Here's another photo from eye level (the way a person would normally see this plane as it sits on the ground)...

Isaac
05-03-2012, 10:45 PM
There is a trend to really improve paper models with lots of super detailed interior and exterior . That is great and allowes the model to be much more realistic. The only "negative" is that the time required is huge since each tiny piece is hand made. For me, there is only so much that I can do before going nuts. I will need to to find a balance of complexity build for these kits.

One thing for sure, I am truelly enjoying your build and others that elected to go all out on these builds. Keep it going.

Isaac

ccoyle
05-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Beautiful model, Gordon!

g force
05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Here are all of the final shots of this model!

Lex
05-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I must salute you for this magnificent build as well. Great job done

Don Boose
05-05-2012, 08:29 AM
It is indeed a magnificent achievement. You have precisely captured this historic bird.

Don

Tapcho
05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I love the eye level photo of the front. It shows in a very fine manner your eye to details and the precise build you've done. Outstanding work and I had great time browsing through the build thread.

Tappi

scyeige
05-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi Gordon, first let me congratulate you on a absolutely magnificent build. I read through the entire thread with my jaw on the ground and eyes popping out of their sockets! This is such an amazing build (and it started in March 2009!!)... your skill with cutting out the parts is brilliant and the attention to detail is marvelous!
I can only dream of reaching such standards in my own builds.

Vorcha
05-07-2012, 08:54 AM
I cant believe my eyes, this looks GREAT!!!:eek:

romanmodels
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Graet build G force good work

g force
05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on my completed KI-84...it was a long build, but mainly because I took time away from building to work on some home renovation projects. I kept this little Beauty in a box on my shelf tucked away for the day that I would finally pull it out and complete it. I'm glad I did. I have a couple of other planes that I am now working on that I hope to continue build threads for.

stachooo
05-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Really good work! This is very difficult model, and the final effect is awesome, congratulations! :)

I have this model in my collection, you can see photos here (http://samolotyzkartonu.blogspot.com/2012/02/galeria-nakajima-ki-84-hayate-kartonowy.html).

g force
05-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks! It is a quite difficult model, but more than anything it just takes precision and patience. I bought a second kit as a "backup" in case I completely screwed something up and I had to start a part over. I had to do that for two small sub-assemblies on this kit, but I won't say which ones. Your build was very good as well- it is always interesting to see how someone else builds the exact same kit. There are usually subtle nuances that are different.

Top_gan44
05-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Great job!

milenio3
05-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Top Notch Airplane Model!!

I'm not a fan of Japs, but this Halinski is grat in details and potential... I loved it!

milenio3
05-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Top Notch Airplane Model!!

I'm not a fan of Japs, but this Halinski is grat in details and potential... I loved it!

Word came to me pointing out a wrong use of a phrase...
so I am fixing the term for this beautiful airplane...
*I am not a fan of Japanese aircraft....*

- apologies for my non intentional wrong use of phrase.

And by the way... I guess I'm also changing my likes to WWII Japanese Airplanes...
I guess I need to built a Zero to grasp the flavor of it. ;)

g force
05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Yes, the Zero is high on my list. I was not initially drawn to the Japanese aircraft of WWII, but as I began doing a bit of exploring and research, I found them to be quite beautifully designed - in a very functional, minimalist kind of way. The KI-84 was especially of interest to me because it was the most successful and widely produced of the Japanese fighters in the Pacific arena. It was well matched against - if not superior to - many of the allied aircraft. It was typically only defeated because it was often outnumbered. It also helps that Halinski made such a beautiful replica kit to build...I could not resist!