PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Tug "Anglia", 1866

Oliver Weiss
04-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Hi all - I'd like to announce that I'll be releasing a new kit shortly! It's the 1866 paddle tug "Anglia", better known as "Three-fingered Jack". Though it was quite famous in its day for being the largest, strongest and most technologically advanced tug on the Thames, the Anglia is mostly remembered for bringing the cylindrical barge "Cleopatra" from El Ferrol to London. The barge carried an obelisk, known as "Cleopatra's Needle" which stands on the Thames embankment to this day. "Cleopatra" is a free download model on my website, www.waldenmodels.com. The Anglia will complement it nicely!

Below are renderings of the model, with pictures from the alpha-build further down.

Cheers,

Oliver

Oliver Weiss
04-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Parts sheets...

Oliver Weiss
04-02-2009, 08:15 AM
more progress...

member_3
04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I will definitely have to purchase this one on the sly - my wife and therapist both seem to believe that jewel-like 1:250 ships are the root of most of my behavioral problems! They are even talking about restraining orders for Golden Bear, Passat-Verlag and, yes Oliver, even Walden Models!

Oliver Weiss
04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Actually, Ron, I'll have your wife know that card modeling has many therapeutic benefits. Even perusing and organizing a stack of unbuilt kits for 20-30 minutes daily has been shown to lower your blood pressure. Also consider that most people find it difficult to eat and cut card at the same time; thus intensive card modelling helps to fight the nation's obesity problem. Most importantly, my prescription-strength kits are available over the counter. I recommend you acquire 3-4 of my kits today and start improving your health immediately!

Card models - for a better you!

Oliver

P.S. - These claims have not been evaluated by the FDA. Daily intake not established. Card modeling is not for everyone. Jittery or excessively clumsy folk should avoid handling sharp instruments. It has not been established whether card models are present in breast milk. Nursing mothers should excercise caution. Building card models has been shown to be effective in preventing STDs. Consult your health professional before starting any card modeling program.

treadhead1952
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Well, I am interested in the tug and will probably have to invest in it once it is available on the site. However, having to wear my hipwaders once in a while when going through some of these posts is getting to be routine......:D;)

rickstef
04-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Jay,

what are you trying to say?

Rick

B-Manic
04-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Your new model is looking mighty fine Oliver. Who doesn't love a paddle wheeler?

BTW - paper modeling has also been shown to have therapeutic benefit in the treatment of hot dog fingers, oily bowels, navel discharge, spontaneous combustion (not verified), planned combustion, déjà vu, entropy, post-modern apathy, alien abduction, prenatal baldness, loss of all emotion and assimilation into the hive mind, inability to use spoons, mystic enlightenment, post apocalyptic funk, devil's haircut, stinkfist, electric head, explosive diarrhea, fear and loathing in Las Vegas, and Barbie mutilation syndrome.

~ cheers

Vicar
04-02-2009, 02:46 PM
That's good news. I enjoyed the barge which I made as a waterline model. It's good fun asking folk what sort of ship they think it is. Fortunately, I never mounted it on a base as I usually so 'Anglia' will be a must.

ccoyle
04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Even perusing and organizing a stack of unbuilt kits for 20-30 minutes daily has been shown to lower your blood pressure.

Whew! I thought I was the only one that did this!

Wilfried
04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Whew! I thought I was the only one that did this!

:D

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

member_3
04-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I recommend you acquire 3-4 of my kits today and start improving your health immediately!

Oliver, Oliver, Oliver!! A quick perusal of your sales records will show that I already have all of yours...it was one of my "emotional episodes" while trying to build "Livadia" that got me started on therapy in the first place. You are correct in your observation that studying, admiring and fondling <did I say that out loud?> the printed sheets for paper models is a most relaxing and therapeutic exercise. I'm OK - I just need to stay away from sharp objects!

Golden Bear
04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
What's wrong with fondling cardmodel kits? Few things I enjoy more on a stressful day than grabbing about 4" from one of my stacks and imagining building them.

I feel that it is fair to point out that cardmodeling does carry some unfortunate side effects such as the inability to discard any tiny scrap of card, or laminated, stock. ...and well as the accumulation of all kinds of oddly shaped items which build up into mounds that create conflict with your significant other. And that person occasionally evinces a tiny bit of peevishness when your response to their complaints about the unending clutter is, "...it'll go away when I finish this model...", and of course it doesn't.

Beatiful model, Oliver. It is on my attention list.

Carl

Oliver Weiss
04-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. Filling in some of the blank spots aft are the rope hatch and the two aft boiler casings.

Don Boose
04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh, how I envy your ability to build so clean and true!

Don

THE DC
04-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Looking sweet!

I should mention that there is not safety message on the kits for those vicious paper cuts!

I'm sure the government will require them printed on each kit, once some maladjusted 15 year old mistakenly cuts his own head off with a sheet of malicious, left over cardstock! [This was probably left over from the crown his dear parents were making for his to build his self esteem and better prepare him for the realities of life...]

The DC

Oliver Weiss
04-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Don - trust me, it's not all clean and true, hence the subdued lighting :)

Cheers,

Oliver

Padre
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
My pile of unbuilt models grows every year, my list of "I want that!:rolleyes:" grows daily. The list goes to my children and friends as hints for birthdays, Christmas, Easter, St. Pats Day, Thanksgiving and any other reason ;)I can think of that I (me, and only me) should receive a gift just because I am such a fine and upstanding, all around good guy:eek:................if ya believe that I will send you my growing list too.:p

Oliver Weiss
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Sure Padre, send it on over. I take MC, VISA and PayPal ;)

Cheers,

Oliver

Oliver Weiss
04-09-2009, 08:49 PM
More imperceptible progress. Unfortunately I'm just not finding enough time, what with doing the tax return and such...

Oliver Weiss
04-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Taxes are done, but now I'm sick as a dog... This companionway has 15 parts. Note that I haven't colored any edges yet.

THE DC
04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Taxes are never done, my friend. Like a chronic disease, they just flare up once a year!!!:mad:

Keep up the build; good thread,

Then DC

Darwin
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
And taxes keep on even after you are dead! In the middle ages, crushingly oppresive taxation levels that prompted crowds with pitchforks storming the castle were less than 25% of income. This crowd of idiots is now demanding up to 100%. The TEA party I went to last night drew a crowd of several hundred, at dinner time, in a small town, with drizzling rain at 35 deg F. And Pelosi doesn't believe our feelings are real? At least Texas does have the option of getting the hell out.

THE DC
04-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Ahhhh, but....they didn't have text-messaging and facebook to distract them so! We've got priorities....

Back to your thread, keep up the build; I love this style of ship.

Slante'

The DC

Oliver Weiss
04-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Further progress...

Golden Bear
04-17-2009, 10:20 PM
... and your efforts with wood toning make ME ill! And the dramatic lighting on that last shot. You are shameless. This is and will be a beautiful model, Oliver. Top quality work. You deserve a Gold Star of the Golden Bear for this work.

Carl

Don Boose
04-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Magnificent.

Oliver Weiss
04-18-2009, 07:56 AM
I've got your respective numbers, guys: "That's right, let's see just how big we can get Oliver's head!" I'm going to make some mistakes on purpose just to show you ;)

Seriously - you're giving me too much credit. Carl, your work certainly is in a league of its own. The subdued lighting makes things look a lot better than they are. You'll see in the end, when I'll take shots under fluorescent lighting :)

Cheers,

Oliver

Padre
04-18-2009, 08:17 AM
I've got your respective numbers, guys: "That's right, let's see just how big we can get Oliver's head!" I'm going to make some mistakes on purpose just to show you

Thank you, I was about to give up my own efforts as they are pale compared to yours. An excellent showcase of the papermodeler's work.

Royaloakmin
04-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Oliver. I still think your Oslabaya build is one of the best I've ever seen, so the modesty bit doesn't wash:) This tug and the Irish mail steamer are both beautiful works.

Oliver Weiss
05-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Little update here ... My test build is nearing completion, funnels are up and almost all the deck and bridge fittings are installed. The binnacle alone has nine parts. You're gonna lovvit :D I'll post some pictures tonight if time permits.

I've got the steam winch, tow bars, a ventilator, and masts & rigging left.

Not much longer now ;)

Cheers,

Oliver

Royaloakmin
05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
I can just imagine how many parts the winch has :) Good to see progress, Oliver.

Golden Bear
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Very cool, Oliver. I love these ships.

Carl

birder
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm looking forward to this one, too. Such a pretty ship.:)

Oliver Weiss
05-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Here we go - sorry for the blurry pictures, lighting at my workplace still sucks! The aft bridge railing isn't installed yet, I've got to put on a ladder first. The turkey just happened to wander in my yard - I live in densely populated eastern Massachusetts, about 20 minutes outside of Boston. Naturally I have deer, coyote, and loads of turkeys moving through my backyard. A few years ago someone in the next town had a black bear in his yard, and two years ago there was a mountain lion not twenty miles from here. I love my wildlife! And I dare anybody to say a wild turkey isn't a beautiful bird :)

Cheers,

Oliver

birder
05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
That looks nice, should be a great model! Go Turkeys! We never used to have them, but they have successfully colonized the area, and are doing well. I suppose they were established for game hunting, but we like just seeing them, and no hunting allowed around town anyway.:)

Don Boose
05-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Anglia looks great, Oliver! And I enjoyed the cameo appearance of the wild turkey.

Don

Oliver Weiss
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Progress! Alas, my workplace lighting still sucks, so don't mind the funny colors. What's new: I finished the bridge railing and ladder, added the funnel stays, steam pipes, windlass (handles need to be straightened), front ventilator cowling (thankfully, Anglia only has one!), blocks & samson posts, and tow hook assembly (I cheated and made it out of wire). The jumble of sticks aft are the towbars, I didn't manage to install those tonight.

Cheers,

Oliver

ct ertz
05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Wow that looks great. Three stacks? Neat lines too.

I used to live in South Dakota, and the Turkey is really starting to become popular with game farmers. We have plenty of pheasants, geese, deer and antelope. Out west in the Black Hills my sister used to have trouble with mountain lions getting into her garbage cans when she lived in Spearfish. It is quite the thing to go driving at 2 or 3 in the morning in Pierre and see a small heard of deer wondering the Capital Buildings grounds! I miss the wild life there. I live in north Georgia now. The predominant wild life here is mosquitoes, although I have seen a lot of wonderful birds of prey, hawks mostly! And snakes, the snakes are waking up for the summer!

mabrown
05-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Exceptional Oliver! Like all your models, this is excellent. Can't wait to see more.

member_3
05-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Your usual excellent work, Oliver. It will be sweet to add this one to my collection of "to be builts."

Regarding the avian add-on, I was born and lived my youth in Brockton, MA which must be in your neck of the woods. I had no idea there were turkeys in that part of the country!

B-Manic
05-27-2009, 07:10 AM
She is looking mighty fine Oliver. I see you also use magnets. I like the lighting effect, very dramatic.

Oliver Weiss
05-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks, guys. Now come the *really* fiddly bits - masts and rigging!

Oliver Weiss
06-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Main mast is on. This was a bit of a challenge to make from paper, especially the needle-thin foremast. I inserted a long quilting needle into the lower mast and hardened the whole thing with CA glue. Rigging went on smoothly, but is only partially complete. This is actually my first experience with ratlines. So far they're only fixed on one side. - Oh, and the gaff is just kinda dangling there for show. It won't stay that way :) The second picture shows the towbars.

outersketcher
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
sweet and clean build... It's obvious that you've taken the time to design the parts with care so that things fit as they should.

Yeah... gonna havta build this one.

David

Golden Bear
06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, she is beautiful. Pesky things those ratlines. I'm interested that you are assembling them in place (I guess). However iffy they may seem when your struggle to make them is complete, they add so much to the appearance that they are more than worth the effort.

Carl

outersketcher
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I remember assembling the ratlines for a wooden model of the H.M.S. Beagle. Specifically, I remember hand-tying the horizontal lines to each individual vertical line. And having to tie those knots with two pairs of tweezers... for.... hours.... and.... hours.

My wife thought I was nuts.

It looks like you're going with the much more sensible spot-of-glue assembly method. ; )

David

Oliver Weiss
06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Well, it didn't turn out that bad, if I do say so myself. There's still some rigging missing, though... Carl, did I say I wanted to build Inflexible with the original rig? I may have misspoken there...

Cheers,

Oliver

Golden Bear
06-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Hee hee! You own the earlier boats, Oliver. You get the rigging!

I would actually need to do a redesign/modification to allow you to build Inflexible with full rig. And I don't have the drawings to do it all - could make a good guess though. Some of the upper walls were actually railings at the beginning from what I see in photos.

I started with the intent to tie the ratlines for Inflexible but then I came back into the real world...

Carl

Oliver Weiss
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
And done! :)

redhorse
06-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Great job, Oliver!

member_3
06-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Another jewel in your crown! Beautiful, clean model.

Zathros
06-24-2009, 09:42 PM
The model looks 1000 times better than the render (which I thought was excellent).

B-Manic
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
And WELL done, beautiful in fact.

birder
06-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree with Douglas, that is a beautiful ship you have created, Oliver!! All of it is pretty, the lines of the hull, the colors, the angle of the stacks and the rigging you've shown, just very nice.:)

rmks2000
06-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Well done! The side paddle ships certainly have a graceful look.

Art Deco
06-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Looks like those intricate paddle wheels came out really nicely!

Another gemstone! Bravo!

dansls1
06-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Very nice model Oliver!

mabrown
06-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Truly wonderful work. I think the quality of your 2D work (and everything else for that matter) is outstanding Oliver.

lepercan
06-27-2009, 08:13 AM
However, one must be aware of the dangers of hemorrhoids from sitting too long, loss of far vision, and cramping fingers.

Barry
06-27-2009, 08:52 AM
It's just got everything

Oliver Weiss
07-13-2009, 08:55 PM
All right guys,
as of today the Anglia is done and over with and available for sale at Walden Models - Curiosities for the Experienced Card Modeler (http://www.waldenmodels.com). I'm officially closing this thread! For final pictures, see here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/kit-announcements/4211-paddle-tug-anglia-now-available-www-waldenmodels-com.html

Golden Bear
07-17-2009, 06:05 PM
If I may, I'll post a quick review of the model.

For those of us condemned to 8.5x11" it comes as a 12 sheet packet including a very nice history and description of the functions of the ship. There are also A4 and German language optional downloads. It costs $12.95 as download with a $3.00 option to receive it on disc instead.

It looks as if there only 2+ card sheets, with two of the sheets taking a second pass through the printer to get backside coloring. The formers and hull sides are on a single sheet and it appears that the formers are only a single layer of card. However this is a wee ship (for me) at under 9" long.

Detailing and coloring are VERY nice. Oliver lists this as for the "experienced" modeler but personally I think that it is in reach of any non-beginner modeler. Maybe I'll do a build...

Carl