PDA

View Full Version : USS Indianapolis

Papercut
04-11-2009, 12:12 PM
:(Well I am almost afraid to post anything about a build I am working on, I must have bad mojo after posting a start of a build thread. I did start a thread w/IJN Tone, got the parts laminated and for some reason unknown to me lost all interest in that project. Kept looking at but no work. Before I knew it, I was laminating the frame work of a Modelik 1:200 USS Indianapolis, ordered a brass PE rail set and radar set (Tom's Modelworks) from Floating Drydock, great person to deal with for anyone looking for those dress up items, does not have a lot in 1:200, but does have some items. I was sad to hear that the man that produced those wonderful PE we know as Tom's Modelworks lost his battle with cancer and the family does not plain to continue with the business. A great loss of a true artist. Have discovered a new cardboard stock @ Hobby Lobby>Crescent #99 Illustration Board, 30"x40", cold press acid free, med weight 50/60, all purpose board. 1 sheet cost $7.99, but was 1/2 off. Enough card stock for several models. Cuts good, sands great and 3M spray sticks permanently, no peel. I will post a few photos this weekend of the frame and this is the material I used to make the frame from. So here we go again, maybe I can get one built w/o damage or just loss of interest.:DRick

Wilfried
04-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Hello Rick,

I wish you all the best with your new project; I'll keep an eye on your progress ... :)

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

Don Boose
04-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Rick --

Although I hope that you eventually will find a renewed interest in the Tone, I look forward to seeing the Indianapolis take shape. I have a great fondness for the U.S. treaty cruisers. Thanks also for the info on the alternative cardstock.

Sorry to hear the sad news about Tom's Modelworks.

Don

cdavenport
04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Try this: build the model, photograph it as you go...then post the build. I find I am victim to the same problem. So, I get a bunch done before I post. Then, I don't want to be embarrased by comments a year later asking where the finished model is!

In the meantime, I can satisfy my penchant for blab by posting comments on other topics...instead of building. I need to shut up and get back to work on my F-84!

Golden Bear
04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Ahhh, my advice is the opposite. Post what you are doing as you are doing it while it is FRESH. If you quit on it, well, we all do. My Isuzu is a rather large dust collector right now and on its way to the dustbin.

So dump Tone for now. I love your builds and have always wanted to build Portland (sister ship) myself. My father was ferried home from Europe after the Big One on Portland. Got trapped in a storm, the hanger collapsed... they were using it for bunks... had to run across a pitching deck in his scivvies to jump in some tiny hole in the deck. Guy ahead of him caught a wave and is still floating somewhere. Dad made it but had no belongings. We have a photo of him newly arrived in clothes that are all too large for him because they were loaners.

Hint. NOBODY ever builds Portland. You could be the first.:):)

Carl

redhorse
04-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree with Carl. I always post right as I build and find that it motivates me to keep going.

Golden Bear
04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Good man, Jim. We all understand how the whim takes us when we want to build. You've got good stuff to show, let us be part of it. Showing is the big part. We're not here to judge... unless you spam the forums and never post anything. Ahem. (nobody here involved in this tiny frustration).

Carl

Papercut
04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
:DThanks for all the encouraging words, for some reason I have gone thru a builders block for a few months now, I am interested and on fire to build, start and the next thing I know I have lost the desire to build that subject because I discover something I just do not want to overcome to continue, but I must admit so far, the Indianapolis has kept my interest and I do wish to see this on my wall. I have been very busy here of late with work and church, but this weekend should allow me the opportunity to finish the frame work and start skinning. GoldenBear I hear ya and I do also have a WH 1:250 USS San Francisco and I have also found another US heavy cruiser that I will be ordering in the future, but alas not the one you asked about, however if you have any ideas as to how I might be able to make this happen for you, let me know. As a matter of fact, should be ordering your kit here soon. As for the Tone, will finish at a later date, just way too many small fiddly parts.:eek:Rick

Papercut
04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
:DAhhh, my advice is the opposite. Post what you are doing as you are doing it while it is FRESH. If you quit on it, well, we all do. My Isuzu is a rather large dust collector right now and on its way to the dustbin.

So dump Tone for now. I love your builds and have always wanted to build Portland (sister ship) myself. My father was ferried home from Europe after the Big One on Portland. Got trapped in a storm, the hanger collapsed... they were using it for bunks... had to run across a pitching deck in his scivvies to jump in some tiny hole in the deck. Guy ahead of him caught a wave and is still floating somewhere. Dad made it but had no belongings. We have a photo of him newly arrived in clothes that are all too large for him because they were loaners.

Hint. NOBODY ever builds Portland. You could be the first.:):)

Carl Have found a copy of USS Portland, will order and at some point I will build. When I do, I will do so to honor your father.:DRick

Papercut
04-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Have been very busy of late and I do so hope to post some photos before this weekend is up of the USS Indianapolis.

PAPER FAN
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
I built Portland several years ago, she was a real pleasure and solidified my interest in paper modeling. See attached.

M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - G a l l e r y (http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ca/ca-33/200-jk2/jk-index.html)

Papercut
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the site. I am always blown away by your museum quality builds. I am building the earlier version with the blue/gray scheme. The kit I am building is from Modelik. I have also found a USS Portland I intend to order. I have also found and will order barrels as well. Have been able to come up with some PE, ie: railing and radars. I am a big fan of Heavy Cruisers, spent this weekend downloading the HMS Repluse from GeMir, another of my favorites. The British refer to their cruisers as Battlecrusier, sounds like this type ship mean business! I always look forward to your comments to any of my postings. Thank you, Rick:D