PDA

View Full Version : Got a suggestion?

Jason
06-29-2007, 10:47 AM
If you have a suggestion for a feature, or notice something that is not working correctly, please let me know. I would love to hear about it.

Jason

rickstef
06-29-2007, 10:55 AM
your icons seem to be on the fritz

Jason
06-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for letting me know Rick. The paths have been corrected, and they should be showing correctly now.

Jason

Bill
07-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm brand new to a forum. I'll begin with this question: what is a definition of a thead?

Johnny
07-04-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm brand new to a forum. I'll begin with this question: what is a definition of a thead?

It seems you just posted in this thread....so go figure :)

Jason!
I think 4 pics in each post is a bit too little when it comes to build threads.

rickstef
07-04-2007, 05:43 PM

according to some of the online dictionaries

a thread in terms of this and other forums is as follows

A set of posts on a newsgroup, composed of an initial post about a topic and all responses to it.

hope that explains it a bit for you

Rick

Jason
07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I think 4 pics in each post is a bit too little when it comes to build threads.

Ok, I have upped the limit to 12 images per post. Thanks for pointing the limit out.

Jason

Jason
07-04-2007, 06:34 PM

A forum is made up of forums or topics, which contain threads, which contain posts. If you look at the box just below the buttons at the top of the page, it lists PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box > Got a suggestion?. The Got a suggestion would be a thread. So like Rick said, a thread is made up of posts like your post for example. Hope this helps.

Jason

Bill
07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Jason.

Bill
07-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Rick. Next time I'll spell "thread" correctly.

Bill
07-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Jason, next time I'll spell "thread" correctly.

Bill
07-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Johnny. I get the picture. Sorry I spelled "thread" wrong.

Jason
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Jason, next time I'll spell "thread" correctly.

If had not pointed it out, I never would have noticed. :) Amazing how the mind filled in the picture.

Jason

Bill
07-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Jason, I haven't received my authorization code email, or whatever, so I haven't been able to post. If you get this, I guess everything is OK.

Bill
07-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Jason, apparently you got this so I suppose everything IS OK! Now I can post all kinds of stuff.

lolson
07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Would it be possible to have a picture of the week on the home page? (like the old cardmodels site) I know that there are not too many pictures right now but if you would consider it I would be quite glad.

cgutzmer
07-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Jason, apparently you got this so I suppose everything IS OK! Now I can post all kinds of stuff.

Kinda late to mention it now but my mail went to spam so its possible yours got filtered too.....
Chris

Jason
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Would it be possible to have a picture of the week on the home page? (like the old cardmodels site) I know that there are not too many pictures right now but if you would consider it I would be quite glad.

It would be, I am just not sure how to pick the picture of the week. Maybe a monthly contest? Any suggestions?

Jason

cgutzmer
07-09-2007, 04:38 AM
Members can suggest it via pm to you or a mention in the thread? Then you can either pick one out or have a poll. I think I poll might be cool for the first couple to see what kind of interest it gets. :)
Chris

Jason
07-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Poll might work better, and since polls can be setup to be anonymous, no one should worry about people knowing who they voted for. I might just pick the first couple photos till the gallery or photo contests are going though.

Jason

lolson
07-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I like the poll idea, maybe there should be some guidelines for what people should vote for?

cgutzmer
07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Whomever posts the poll can determine the guidelines. I wold imagine the pic of the week type poll would always be posted by the same person. That type of continual responsibility is usually managed by an admin or mod just because its ongoing so it would likely always have the same structure.
Chris
p.s. I will go through my builds and see if I can find some worthy pics to post :)

Amazyah
07-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I think a poll would end up being too much work once things get rolling here.
Posting a weekly poll with all the candidates would end up being more of a chore than having someone assigned to the task and just picking one.

A poll is a good idea though and may work for a little while, again, until things get rolling here.
Just my opinion.:rolleyes::)

Russell

paulhbell
07-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Is there going to be seperate areas for different types of models i.e. boats, ships, space etc?

rickstef
07-15-2007, 09:18 AM
that is something Jason and I will be doing in short order

Fozzy The Bear
07-15-2007, 08:58 PM
If you have a suggestion for a feature, or notice something that is not working correctly, please let me know.

Hi Jason,
Yes.... Is it possible that the attachment size could be increased to around the 80K size??? rather than 48K I found that a bit small.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

paulhbell
07-17-2007, 02:06 PM
I also think a poll would work. Jason, you and the admin people could narrow it down to 5 pictures and let the rest of us vote for the best.

Ekuth
07-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I'll nominate the pic of my Forezza Shuttle stack and real live shuttle crew posing with it from my "Bragging Rights" thread in the Spacecraft section... :D:rolleyes:

Jason
07-17-2007, 07:01 PM
We could do it random for the first while. Any thoughts?

Jason

dansls1
07-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, it's a tossup between the Hoche and the shuttle crew - I'd say we have our first 2 weeks worth settled already, IMHO :D

member_3
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure what the difference between "Kit Review" and "Model Review" is. Could they be combined under a single topic?

cgutzmer
07-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree with that! Prolly just an oversight with all the sudden expansion. Hopefully we can keep the number of sections a bit more in check here....
Chris

Gnasher
07-18-2007, 12:45 AM
As I mentioned in my welcome post, I like to use the RSS feed to get the new posts. Would it be possible to enable the RSS link? Thanks.

Jason
07-18-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm not sure what the difference between "Kit Review" and "Model Review" is. Could they be combined under a single topic?

My mistake. I will will combine them tomorrow. Not sure what I was thinking, but I am sure I had a point. :)

As I mentioned in my welcome post, I like to use the RSS feed to get the new posts. Would it be possible to enable the RSS link? Thanks.

I will add it to the list. Never used an RSS feed for a forum, so it might take me a day or so.

Jason

Paper-toys
07-18-2007, 12:52 PM
It might be easier for users to add sites if you add a INTERNET FIND'S section.

John Griffin
07-18-2007, 02:05 PM
How about we organize a Card Modeler's Convention?? I've heard about the one they have in Germany, and seen pics from one Dayton (Dayton??)...

What about one organized by the forum membership? In a location better suited to travel (I vote for Vegas).

People could bring built-up models or unbuilt to sell or trade, or show off their new desighns, etc.

rickstef
07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
The Dayton gathering morphed into the Dulles/Herndon VA gathering, not sure what we are doing this year.

anything in a 3 to 4 hour drive I am game for, flying out to Vegas would be cool, might have to make it a week long vacation from it

Rick

John Griffin
07-18-2007, 04:50 PM
The Dayton gathering morphed into the Dulles/Herndon VA gathering, not sure what we are doing this year.

anything in a 3 to 4 hour drive I am game for, flying out to Vegas would be cool, might have to make it a week long vacation from it

Rick

The reason I suggested Vegas is that it seems like every gathering that has taken place has been back east. There must be plenty of us out west here who would appreciate being able to drive in! And I like the drive there...

Clashster
07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
We had tried something like this a little while ago.... I offered to look into some place on the beach in South Florida (in winter time!), but it never seemed to get off the ground... After talking about it for a while, I just let it go....

Jason
07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
It might be easier for users to add sites if you add a INTERNET FIND'S section.

Not sure I am following you. Do you mean a section to add internet stores or individual models? We have a links section in the articles section which lists stores.

Jason

Golden Bear
07-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Maybe he means just a section for "Internet Finds" if that is any different. Y'know, folks find some mysterious goody offered at some out of the way site.

C.

cgutzmer
07-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Carl is spot on :)
Chris

Golden Bear
07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Now that we are beginning to get sub-forums, can we change the main Forum screen to show these underneath the main headings... so that I can see aviation, shipping, etc. without first clicking on the Build threads header?

Carl

Paper-toys
07-19-2007, 09:49 AM
What carl said was what i was trying to say :)

Jason
07-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Now that we are beginning to get sub-forums, can we change the main Forum screen to show these underneath the main headings... so that I can see aviation, shipping, etc. without first clicking on the Build threads header?

Carl

Done!

Also made it so that you can see what forum a thread is posted in on the portal page. Is that how you envisioned the sub-forums showing?

Jason

cgutzmer
07-19-2007, 09:03 PM
I like how they show small :) Nice!
Chris

rickstef
07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
i like that too, allows for a quick scan

Golden Bear
07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Jason, that's good and I could live with it. However... I sorta got used to the old way with the vertical distribution. Maybe it is my increasingly old head but I don't like to have to look as much as go by pattern. I know, it's a strange thought. Today I got told by a fellow worker that I reminded her of somebody awful from a reality show. I think that my time has truly passed. Funny thing.

G.B.

Golden Bear
07-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Here is yet another selfish Golden Bear suggestion. Give me a button that allows me to click off unread posts from threads IDGASA. Translate it for yourself. I'll get banned if I do it.

Also, HOW THE FRIGGEN HELL DO I STOP GETTING EMAIL UPDATES FOR EVER FRIGGIN THREAD THAT I COMMENT ON? Err, thank you. Remember please that I am dim.

Carl

rickstef
07-19-2007, 10:15 PM
simple

go to your User CP(control panel)

and there you can manage your subscriptions

if you can't make head or tails from it, I can help

Rick

Golden Bear
07-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Rick, man I have explored the living H##L out of that area and cannot get it to do what I want. Not the forum's fault, I always have this issue. Just leave my email alone.

You didn't answer part A I noticed... about how to click a button so that I can ignore threads (like for unread posts).

rickstef
07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
i didn't answer that because i am not a programmer, and wouldn't even have a clue as to how to code that.

that is why i skipped it.

Rick

Jason
07-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Well I am a "programmer" so I did a little write up that hopefully helps explain how to update your subscriptions. As always, please PM if you have any problems.

Jason

Almost forgot to include the link. :)

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1194

rlwhitt
07-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Would the Quick Links | Mark Forums Read thingy do what you're wanting, or are you talking about threads individually?

Here is yet another selfish Golden Bear suggestion. Give me a button that allows me to click off unread posts from threads IDGASA. Translate it for yourself. I'll get banned if I do it.

Also, HOW THE FRIGGEN HELL DO I STOP GETTING EMAIL UPDATES FOR EVER FRIGGIN THREAD THAT I COMMENT ON? Err, thank you. Remember please that I am dim.

Carl

Barry
07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
At the top of each item within a thread is a small upward arrowhead which collapses the thread by that item, could the code be changed to "Jump to Top of Page" sorry I am idle

barry

Golden Bear
07-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Jason very nicely helped me. Sorry for the venting.

G.B.

sim69
09-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi all, very new here but I'd just like to know why I can't edit my thread title or post in the "welcome desk" part of the forum? As I've just found out any spelling or grammar mistake stays visible to the world until I work out who the forum mods are and make a request for it to be corrected. Surely enabling this option would free up moderators time by allowing people to look after their own spelling mistakes.:o

shrike
09-18-2008, 10:21 PM
There's a time limit to editing, so you can catch second thoughts, but not third or subsequent ones

sim69
09-18-2008, 11:48 PM
The problem with that was that I got a message saying my thread had to be approved by a mod before it was posted and because of the different time zones I was probably asleep when that happened and missed my opportunity to edit. No problems, now that I know the rules I'll be more careful and double-check everything I post.