PDA

View Full Version : vBDownloads

papermate
10-25-2014, 09:16 AM
I have to say that I don't like the vBDownloads a bit as it has no image for the item to be downloaded. Can we have the old days back?

Papermate

rickstef
10-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Please give Jason some time to re-add the images.

Plus this version is more secure.

Rick

jleslie48
10-25-2014, 12:22 PM
a big thanks goes out for the new download section. Its a vast improvement. One question though, in the search results, is there to change the search results order? as in be able to click on say the heading "uploaded" and sort the results in upload order?

Rhaven Blaack
10-25-2014, 02:50 PM
I have to say that I do not envy Jason at all.
I had to go through a similar process with Zealot when the platform was changed.
I wish you the best of luck with it!!!
My fingers are crossed that all goes well!!!

Madbrit
10-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Like the new page, not too keen on the pop up ads. Will suffer in silence.

Derek

at6
10-26-2014, 12:59 PM
With exception of no pictures, I beginning to like it. The adds help to keep the forum going financially, so I understand that part.

3Turner
10-26-2014, 01:12 PM
An alternative is to have an ad blocker on your browser. I use chrome and ad-block, so all I see in the downloads section is a countdown after clicking download.

Pictures in place before should be ported over soon.....Jason is still working on thar bit.

jleslie48
10-26-2014, 01:42 PM
I didn't even know there were pop-ups. my blocker must of caught them.

It is a much better download system. my only wish list now is to be able to sort the results by date,

cardist
10-26-2014, 02:55 PM
An observation.
I am opposed to change for changes sake, but I appreciate we have to move with the times. I have noticed that two of my recent uploads are not listed and are not available as downloads anymore.
Question.
If this is the case, do I have to upload them again or are they waiting somewhere to be added? If they have gone missing, then how do I upload them again? I can't find the button for adding files.
For my tuppence worth, I am finding the new section rather frustrating and therefore I am none too keen, but I suppose it will grow on me.
Cardist.

P.S. What the hell does the vB stand for? Someone already asked this question and it has not been satisfactorily answered!

GaryPilsworth
10-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Well I kinda like the new layout and like cardist I hope I did it right still awaiting for my latest design to show up in the download section
I'm missing "my files" part so I can see what I've up loaded etc

When every thing is sorted perhaps maybe a tutorial on how to up load files and thumb nails

SCEtoAUX
10-26-2014, 04:02 PM
I always thought vB stood for vBulletin which is a forum software package. the v could be just a v or it could be visual or virtual.:)

SJPONeill
10-26-2014, 04:59 PM
P.S. What the hell does the vB stand for? Someone already asked this question and it has not been satisfactorily answered!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/VB-stubbie.jpg

SJPONeill
10-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Unless people are contributing cash to the upkeep of this site, the only words necessary to those that maintain and upgrade it are "thank you"...

rickstef
10-26-2014, 06:01 PM
This is the best description I have found about VBulletin

vBulletin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBulletin)

3Turner
10-26-2014, 06:10 PM
I have noticed that two of my recent uploads are not listed and are not available as downloads anymore.
Question.
If this is the case, do I have to upload them again or are they waiting somewhere to be added? If they have gone missing, then how do I upload them again? I can't find the button for adding files.
Which files are they? I see 4 files so far. Could be they have not yet transferred over or are awaiting approval again for some reason.
British WW1 Fuel tins
WW1 Fuel Tins
PWS-50 extra parts
Bristol Pegasus IV

gg56
10-26-2014, 06:21 PM
vbdownloads says I don't have permission and then kicks me out.

3Turner
10-26-2014, 06:25 PM
vbdownloads says I don't have permission and then kicks me out.

It may be due to the number of posts you have (2) and has limited you for either today or a certain time frame. You have already downloaded 5.5 MB as it says on your counter on the top right of your post. As you post count goes up, so does the restrictions on wait time and number of files that can be downloaded.

eagleclaw4935
10-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Sorry to say this,but im getting the dont have permission message as well.Im curious as to what might be going on.Please set me straight on this.I never had any issues before.

3Turner
10-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Well there goes my theory.....will let Jason know. Can you get a screen shot?

Jason
10-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Sorry to say this,but im getting the dont have permission message as well.Im curious as to what might be going on.Please set me straight on this.I never had any issues before.

If you can please prove a link to download you are trying to get I will look into it. Without the link I have no where to start.

Jason

Jason
10-26-2014, 09:58 PM
a big thanks goes out for the new download section. Its a vast improvement. One question though, in the search results, is there to change the search results order? as in be able to click on say the heading "uploaded" and sort the results in upload order?

Currently the searched are showing in order of which they were uploaded, but I know what you mean and can request the feature, but to be honest, it might be a while as they have other issues that need to be addresses. Like the thumbnails not showing up, etc.

Like the new page, not too keen on the pop up ads. Will suffer in silence.

I think everyone hates advertising, but there comes a point where paying for the site out of my pocket each month starts to take a toll. Back in 2007 when we started the site, I used profits from the Hobby Factory to pay for the site, but I had to shut down the Hobby Factory due to lack of time. While it freed up time some time so I could get married, have two kids, self build a house, etc, it also meant that the money I was using to pay for the server, software upgrades, etc ran out. Hence the reason for the advertising. I try to keep the ads to a minimum, as you will notice the main site is not over run with advertising, but as the downloads section is a paid addon, I enabled the ads.

An observation.
I am opposed to change for changes sake, but I appreciate we have to move with the times. I have noticed that two of my recent uploads are not listed and are not available as downloads anymore.
Question.
For my tuppence worth, I am finding the new section rather frustrating and therefore I am none too keen, but I suppose it will grow on me.
Cardist.

All uploads are moderated as we need to or at least try to verify that they are legit and do not contain viruses, etc. So it can take a day or so till we notice there is a new upload. Please be patient.

As to what VB stands for, it stands for Vbulletin which is the maker of the software. I had the option to change the name to something else, and at this point I wish I had, but that would mean I would have to remember each time I applies a security patch to change it, so I did not.

Well I kinda like the new layout and like cardist I hope I did it right still awaiting for my latest design to show up in the download section
I'm missing "my files" part so I can see what I've up loaded etc

When every thing is sorted perhaps maybe a tutorial on how to up load files and thumb nails

Hopefully they show up once they have been approved, if not, I will dig further.

As to the tutorial, I think we will have to create our own as the software did not even come with a decent set of install instruction. So I think once we get the software working, we can all contribute to making a tutorial that would help all of us. Just a thought.

Jason

rickstef
10-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Gary,

If you visit your profile, you will see a new tab, vBDownloads, and they show all the files you have uploaded

rick

eagleclaw4935
10-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Ok this is strange.Just for the sake of argument,I tried the same download again,which by the way was Gary's spindrift release.And the bloody thing worked.I did nothing any different than I did when the do not have permission fiasco began.Phantom problem im guessing.My apologies if im being a pain in the posterior.

at6
10-27-2014, 10:19 AM
I shall wait patiently for everything to be sorted out. As with anything new, there will be issues to sort through. I have no problem with the ads since that pays the bills. I would hate to see this site vanish for lack of funding. Some sites that I've tried to visit in the past are no longer around and I suspect lack of money killed them.

Jason
10-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Thumbnails should be showing for those that had them before. I will compare the two mods later to make sure they are showing the same info.

Jason

cardist
10-27-2014, 02:50 PM
All uploads are moderated as we need to or at least try to verify that they are legit and do not contain viruses, etc. So it can take a day or so till we notice there is a new upload. Please be patient.

As to what VB stands for, it stands for Vbulletin which is the maker of the software. I had the option to change the name to something else, and at this point I wish I had, but that would mean I would have to remember each time I applies a security patch to change it, so I did not.

Jason

Thank you Jason et al for the explanations and justifications. I appreciate the efforts of all involved in maintaining this site. Long may you continue.
All the best and happy modelling
Cardist

rbeach84
10-30-2014, 09:56 AM
I second Cardist's comment. Speaking of comments, where would the comments on the downloads be found?
Cheers!
Robert

at6
10-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Left side where there may or may not be a thumb nail,see add comment. click that and you can leave a comment.

rbeach84
10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Left side where there may or may not be a thumb nail,see add comment. click that and you can leave a comment.
Actually, I'm looking for prior comments. Doesn't seem to be much utility in leaving comments that no one can see...
R/
Robert

elliott
10-31-2014, 12:34 PM
IIRC not that many comments have been left in the past so the chances of seeing any right now would be slim. By all means leave your comments. That's the only way people will know what you think.

rbeach84
10-31-2014, 03:35 PM
please let me know where! I suspect they didn't make it across the vB "jump"...

Regards,
Robert