PDA

View Full Version : Aviatek Berg D1 Award

Texman
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Saturday, I had the privilege of attending an open model contest in Little Rock, Arkansas. As it was not an IPMS event, paper models were put in the misc. category. As I have models in several mediums, I entered both plastic and paper kits. I swept the 1/144 plastic category, but here is what I wanted to show. The Aviatek Berg, by Marek, took a first place award in it's category, against some very nicely done plastic models. The comments ranged from "outstanding", "how do you do that?" to "simply amazing, you suck!" (that was a friend!). Even the contest organizers and emcee were astounded by what could be accomplished in 1/144 with the card models. Most could not believe there is a cockpit and rigging on this plane. Just goes to show, it can happen to anyone, anywhere!

Ray

dansls1
04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Congratulations!

member_3
04-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Well done, sir. You must enjoy the honor shown to your skills and be pleased with raising the awareness of those outside the paper model community as to what can be done in that medium.

Ashrunner
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Excellent Texman!

modelperry
04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Congrats Texman!!!:)

Greg

cjwalas
04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Congratulations, Ray! I'm not surprised, though. Your work is pure inspiration and it's our good fortune you're out there letting people know what can be done. Any chance of some closer shots of this beauty??
Chris

cgutzmer
04-29-2009, 03:49 PM
HERE HERE! Congrats buddy :)

Lets see some sloseups of the winner too :)
Chris

Charlewood
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Congrats Texman, just out standing.

cdavenport
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Congrats! Being an IPMSer I don't give a whit what the model is made of. Just because it's a paper model doesn't mean that it has to look like a paper model.

Your award demonstrates that a modeler can take the medium to whatever level s/he decides is appropriate.

whulsey
04-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Congrats, don't know if they are having it for this year but was talking to one of the Phoenix IPMS guys at our Desert Scale Model Car Contest last week and he said that the IPMS Nationals will be in Phoenix in 2010 and will have a paper model category. Not all that far from Texas.

cdavenport
05-01-2009, 07:37 AM
From my experience, the problem with special categories is that they exist at the whim of the organizers. If it came to a vote, I would resist any attempt to create a special "paper" category. In fact, were I at the contest, I would not enter my paper model in that category. Before my CSS Hunley was damaged beyond repair, I fully intended to compete it against the other models in the established categories. If you are interested in the rationale, it follows.

Here is the deal: during my tenure on the IPMS/USA Executive Board, we intentionally changed the criteria upon which the competitions were based. The old rules had to be changed because of the increasing proliferation of non-plastic aftermarket parts and accessories. Rather than create a set of makeshift rules, we deleted the requirement that the model be made primarily of plastic thereby opening the competition to models made from any media.

One result was an increase in the number of entries. Another was the exponential increase in the quality of the modeling.

If you think your model is good enough for competition, compete it. If not, compete it anyway to learn what changes YOU need to make. I have yet to take one of my paper airplane models to a competition because I already know what changes I need to make. But, I don't build for competition anymore. I just build for fun.

From a competition point of view, the biggest reason the airplane models do not compete well is because of the design methodology. That seam down the middle of the model is a killer. Ships are less problematic. I competed a paper sub kit some 15 years ago and placed in the plastics category, and this was before we changed the rules. Cars are even more problematic for even more reasons. But, in my mind, I can think of several types of vehicles that might be able to place at an NNL contest.

I know my post is too long, but this is not a subject easily handled in a few sentences. Build something!

Texman
05-01-2009, 08:33 AM
And I'm with you Charles, I quit building for competition years ago, but this opportunity just presented itself. I may try again later this year, but
I have much more fun building for myself, and then just showing it off at meetings
to hear them say "Where did you find a kit of that in 1/144?". It's just plain fun!

Ray

whulsey
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Some good comments there Chuck. I somewhat agree with you, but I do like the idea if it will bring out more paper modelers. Plus as you mentioned, in some of the categories, paper design methodology still needs some work to catch up with plastic so they would have a place to compete on their own terms. Especially with being primarily a car modeler, chrome parts and the tires seem to be two major stumbling points. On the few I've done sofar in paper, the tires are always the weakest point of the model. Been watching Gil's and Lief's experiments with great interest, also the way Patero does his heavy truck and equipment tires is just amazing to me.

Phil
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Well deserved!:rolleyes:

dansls1
05-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Some good comments there Chuck. I somewhat agree with you, but I do like the idea if it will bring out more paper modelers. Plus as you mentioned, in some of the categories, paper design methodology still needs some work to catch up with plastic so they would have a place to compete on their own terms. Especially with being primarily a car modeler, chrome parts and the tires seem to be two major stumbling points. On the few I've done sofar in paper, the tires are always the weakest point of the model. Been watching Gil's and Lief's experiments with great interest, also the way Patero does his heavy truck and equipment tires is just amazing to me.

I saw a thread somewhere (Racing Paper Models - Home (http://rpmodels.proboards.com/index.cgi?) maybe?) where somebody was placing tire pieces on top of a small container containing alcohol to allow the fumes to shape the paper. It allowed a very nice 'bulge' for a slick type racing tire and certainly could be converted into most normal tires as well.
As far as chrome parts, perhaps that's one of the deficiencies that some of the accessory people might be able to help with (see the thread Chris has up regarding expanding the paper model accessory business). Plus I've seen some incredible airplanes done on metallic paper, certainly some headers and / or a bumper are possible with the same material.

Of course I only really wish to compare my models to my other models - I build to relax and improve my skills, not to compare against others - so the whole competitive thing is beyond me anyway.

cdavenport
05-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Good discussion thread here. One possible way to solve the problem associated with compound curves is to up the ante on the modeling curve.

I got into paper modeling out of necessity, but found that I like the No-painting aspect and the unique subjects in large scales. But, I have since learned that if you want to take the hobby to the next level, you have to do some painting.

One possible solution to the compound curve problem is to mold the parts out of paper mache. I have already experimented with this technique for making a prop spinner. It works quite well. I'll do the same thing with the drop tanks on Ken West's F-84. It takes more time, but the results will be worth the effort.

The same idea holds for chromed parts. Make the bumper out of paper mache and chrome it. Easily done, too, with the modern paints available.

You'll see the techniques for molding your parts as I progress with my F-84 build. So, tune in!