PDA

View Full Version : F-86 Saber Jet from Fiddlers Green

ct ertz
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
This is my first go at this model so, like usual, I printed out the one page model in black ink total on old poster board. If all of the parts fit well, I will print some of the other models off and make some keepers. You get seven plane models and two accessories to choose from.

This download cost me $2.50. You get the regular US model for one page, the B&W model for 1 page, the large US model for two pages of parts, the RCAF model for one page of parts, a one page South African model, 4 one page German models, two plain models, a kit of rockets, and a kit of tanks. It is quite the deal for $2.50.

I may hand color some of this with markers just for fun.

ct ertz
04-30-2009, 09:24 PM
OK, the plane is simple enough. I am leaving off the landing gear, as I do not want to make anything more detailed at this point, and the landing gear that comes with the download are lacking a bit. Too flat. The inside of the model is completely hollow, and there is nothing in the front air intake or rear engine. The fit so far is pretty good! The nose cowling and the front end fit nearly perfect, and even the cockpit seams to set well on the body. I colored some of this model with markers, with guidance from my 5 year old. He wanted the windows blue, but the blue marker on yellow paper turned out green.

ct ertz
04-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Almost done. This is an easy model, great for cub scouts and newbies. I think an experienced modeler could enhance this model a lot, with a cockpit and see-through windows, something in the air intake, and lighter lines. The lines on this are really dark and thick. I think with one of the optional tank or rocket packs this would really start to come together!

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-01-2009, 06:53 AM
That seem like a good simple model. You should make pictures of it for us.

ct ertz
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
OK, Done. This model lacks any kind of real small details and could use better landing gear, but on the plus side, even in black and yellow it looks like a F-86! I think one of the color ones would turn out pretty good.

Don Boose
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Nice, CT! A couple of years ago I built the FJ-1 Navy version -- another of the early FGs and one that looks like it would make a nice glider. It is about the same level of detail as your Sabrejet as described in your post #2, but mine is the pre-colored, rather than the white, version. I think the colors you applied IAW your 5-year-old's instructions look great.

Don

ct ertz
05-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Nice plane Don. My 5 year old is looking over my shoulder and is getting all excited, and wants to have one that looks likes that. I guess I will have to do one in color. I think that with help, my 5 year old will be able to do some or even most of the cutting on the larger two page model. It will keep him quiet while I do mine! I think these will make good gliders, I will have to give it a try.

Rick Thomson
05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi CT,
The Sabre glides fairly well, but if you want a really nice glider, build Rob Carleen's F-100 Super Sabre which is also to be had at FG. Two paper clips in the intake, and it flys really nicely.

Rick

Don Boose
05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Chip Fyn has always said that the Cutlass is (inadvertently) the best glider of all. I've never tried it, but these CT posts inspire me to give it a try.

Don

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I have the Cutlass and it is said to be a good glider I think with catapault?

I have print MiG-15 which is like Sabre on chrome paper today using just the black lines.

John Bowden
05-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Ok Rick........... you must have forgotten the one on our site>>>>:o

F-100 Wild Weasel can be had here:

Index of /Free (http://dgapapermodels.com/Free/)

That's if y'all want a free one to fly. Be sure and add a little weight (paper clip(s)) to the nose.

john

avro202
05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Well shoot, you dont need to add paper clips to the DGA one, just a few bombs and drop tanks!

murphyaa
05-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I've seen the actual Cutlass Chip flies, and yes, with a rubberband launch, it flies for a loooooooong time. I remember we took it out in his back yard (when he had a back yard) and flew it around for a couple hours.

Rick Thomson
05-02-2009, 01:35 AM
My bad John, I'd forgotten that we had released that as a freebie.

Rick

Don Boose
05-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Nice Weasel, Avro 202!

This thread has induced me to print out my copy, but if I build it today, it will be quick and dirty (and clean, as it were -- no external stores and gear tucked up) to try it out as a glider.

Don

Wilfried
05-02-2009, 11:11 AM
.. in Germany we call the Navy version of the Sabre ... Fury? Please correct me .. :)

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried

shrike
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Correct Wilfried, but more complicated.
The FJ-1 Fury had straight wings and evolved into F-86 Sabre with swept wings which evolved into the FJ-2/3/4 Fury with folding wings, longer nose gear and other naval changes

ct ertz
05-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Wow, just too many to keep straight! I bet every one of these versions are available in model form? I could do this forever and still have more to make! A guy sure will not get bored any time soon.

Don Boose
05-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes. FG has a nice model of the straight-wing FJ-1.

I see that my photo of the swept-wing Fury was miscaptioned!

Don

John Bowden
05-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah FG's FJ-1 Fury was designed by Rob.

Shrike.......... tail hooks!!! All Fury's have tail hooks.:p

ct ertz
05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks to keds Girl Lala, I was able to shrink the Fiddles green model down to index card size and print a copy directly onto the inside of a Mac & Cheese box! The color models are a lot better in detail the the black and white copy, and the lines are a lot thiner and lighter. I will post when I get it done, but I already like this micro size model! Tonight I am running my wifes switchboard for her radio show so I am unable to get to it. oops...gotta get back to work.

michik
05-03-2009, 02:45 AM
A good choice, Chris!

Admittedly, the model's tail is too short, actually, but who cares? As you said, it definatly has the Sabre's looks!

Years ago, I've done all the Sabres, too. I.e., not the Southafrican one (that one was not yet released then) but instead one more German (never ever released at all). They were easy to build, even at the small size, so I'm pretty sure, you'll enjoy yours! But somehow, I've never ever found the time for the drop tanks... *sob*

(A few more shotscan be seen at Kartonbau.de (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=3183))

Michi

bob martin
05-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey Michi :) I like the CD:D:D:D

ct ertz
05-03-2009, 09:00 AM
If I had twelve at that size I could make a clock! That would be cool. My wife won't let me use models as decor so I have to sneak them in. A clock might just work. Hmm

bob martin
05-04-2009, 06:04 AM
12 different Jets on a clock would really be kool:D:cool:

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-04-2009, 07:05 AM
You could put jet on the long clock hand and it would circle the hours or something like that.

willygoat
05-04-2009, 07:09 AM
You could put the hour # on the wings and make it look like ID #s or something. That would be sweet.

ct ertz
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
That would be a great idea. I did get my printer to work well and resize the model to the 4x6 card size. I think it came out good, so I printed a little biplane model as well. I should have butted up the f-86 edges instead of over lapping. The Mac & Cheese box is a bit thick and the over lap is noticeable. (pop tart boxes are too thick for my printer!) Although these little models use little ink, the colors are muted. these were fun builds though. I used the landing gear on this one and he thick cardboard and small scale combinde to make them usable. I stashed some nice white index cards around here some where after a kids school project...where did I put them?

Don Boose
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Very nice work, CT.

As you probably know, one way to reduce or eliminate the overlap is to cut off the tabs and reglue them under the model part (in some cases, you will have to cut the tab a little larger to insure sufficietn gluing surface).

Don

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I am amazed. Especially the tiny Pfalz. You can print nicely on section cut from manilla file folder and it make for nice earth tone colors like green, brown, beige. If color like red is muted it can be made more bright with a very fine pen.

ct ertz
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I got the Pfalz on a free download but I can not find the original link any were. the file has six color layouts and looks to be 1-72 scale or so. No writing except for part labels. No name or copyright. I am pretty sure that I linked to it off of a thread from this site or Zealot. I do have the file and would be happy to pass it on if it dose not hurt anything. Sorry, new to all the rules of the internet in regards to this kind of thing.

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Ah so it isnt the Fiddlers Green Pfalz which I did not like so much. I must try to make one of these in miniature!

ct ertz
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
My e-mail is [email protected]. I will be happy so send the file to whoever wants it. I would love to find the link again but I have not, but as I said, I still have the file. It was a free download.