PDA

View Full Version : Taube airplane Finish

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Over last two days I finish this simple Taube airplane from Fiddlers Green. It is another old model and is very bad. But it was also very much fun to build and I like the cute look like a bird. It says "Taube 1909" but it has markings for the First World War of 1914-1918. Taube mean Dove in German.

The body it is a box but with some curve in a few place. The way this is drawn and design it will just have big seams that you will see. Artwork is very primative. After I make this, I realize I had forgot to cut the lines out for the wings. The top area it is visible through the holes in the cockpit cover so I paint that black next...

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/Carla_Lashelle/Taube.jpg

And now it is finish... I got some ink on the tail with black pen :mad:

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/Carla_Lashelle/Taube-1.jpg

I add some strings as the real plane because the models wing would droop. Droop is no good! My strings are thread treated in Bees Wax and fix with glue. I did not make strings exactly per the real airplane because model is not very much like photo of real airplane either. It is representation. There should be also strings and masts on the tail.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/Carla_Lashelle/Taube2.jpg

I make some braces and sticks for the wheels from wood. The model it had lavender-color (!?!?!) paper parts I did not want to use. But after I make this to mostly match the paper parts, I look at picture of the actual Taube and the wheel design is totally different. Oh well! I make it as it was intended mostly. I put wood inside the wheel parts also and color the edge black with Marvy pen. I did not make new propeller but this one is not especially good. I know my workmanship it is not the best here but I wanted just to continue and finish without much hassle.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/Carla_Lashelle/Taubeclose.jpg

I make ski for tail from a long pin bent with my jewelry wire bending pliers and cut with wire dyke.

It is awful model itself but it is cute and was fun to build and make. So I am very happy with it. Having picture of real airplane helps in the shape of the wing, which you must bend by hand.

member_3
05-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Looks good to me! That is an interesting model, especially with the "bird-like" wings.

eatcrow2
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Very nice, and a good job on the rigging!!!

Don Boose
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I think you have demonstrated that the early Fiddlers Green models can be built up into nice little airplanes that have a charm of their own.

Good work, as always, Lala!

Don

cjwalas
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I've just recently built this model (again). It was one of the very first airplane models I did many, many years ago. It is definitely an early FG, and is a weak design to be sure. But I still like this one, both the prototype and the model!
You've done a very good job of getting past the limitations of this kit!
Chris

THE DC
05-01-2009, 01:06 PM
The kit may be weak, but the builder wasn't. The finished product is charming and reminiscent of an age when air travel was as elegant as functional.

I can't help but wonder, with your demonstrated skill, if you decided to build this again, employing some creative techniques to make up for the described flaws? For example, your thread makes the finished product stand out. I bet you could make alterations, now that you've mastered the build of it, and enhance what is there with different materials and techniques to enhance what is provided?

Just a thought. Great work,

The DC

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Yes I can think of many things. But then also for me, the idea of having a model already designed is not so much as to have to rethink it but to make it. But if I were to do this over, I would make the braces for the wheels totally different. And the engine it is bad and not like the real item eihter. But then the drawing itself is bad and heavy handed. So that would be hard. I prefer to make extra detail for a good model to make it better than make detail for a bad model that will never be very very good no matter what I make.

I like it for what it is. I did have fun with it and it is cute. I had no mistakes and used all part just once!

Rick Thomson
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks pretty good to me Lala.

Rick

Kugelfang
05-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi Lala,

I've really been enjoying your build threads and learning a lot from them.

The Taube had many, many variations so I wouldn't be too concerned if the model doesn't match your photograph. Even if the model is poorly designed it certainly captures the spirit of the plane.

--jeff

blueeyedbear
05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi, Lala,

You do some very nice work --- better than lots that are seen on the internet! The rigging on the Taube is nice, but not quite up to the rest of the model.

My recommendations are to use black Nymo nylon thread (size D). Any place that sells beads and beading supplies should have it. If not, one good internet source is crazycrow.com --- you may find their web page interesting to someone who is not a native American (pun intended). Wax the thread to remove any "fuzz" (bee's wax is OK). Use a fine beading needle, and work out a pattern where you can use a single thread for all (or most) of the rigging by "poking" the needle through the wing, tail plane, or fuselage. Put a tiny drop of super glue (use the tip of a needle or a sharpened toothpick as an applicator) at each point to "lock" the tension.

I'm sorry that I don't have a photo to show how well this works.

Bob, the blueeyedbear

Oh, by the way, don't by a spool of Nymo --- a bobbin will last a lifetime!

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Thank you for the advise. I do not drive so I must buy things slowly. Sadly, I buy at Wal Mart but it has closed the sewing and craft area while it is being remodeled into Super Store. I had seen transparent and silver nylon "thread" there previous.

Actually how you say to add the string and fix it is how I did just that. I admit already I did not have the best workmanship because I was tired of struggle. If you look at other model I make the workmanship is much better. Like my HMS Cossack.

I use Bees Wax to tame the thread first. My mistake was I had finish the model and then I decide later to spray it with varnish.