PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Cathedral - (Domus kit)

MIKBEW
05-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I seem to start with ships and end up building buildings!

The attachments are of an old Domus Kit of Notre Dame, pre-cut and lots of tabs. I was going to do a build sequence but somehow some 40 hours later it was finished. So completed model pictures attached...

What is exceptional about all these models is the drawn detail, including shading and the quality of the card (0.30 mm). This model is big - 17" long, 6" wide and 10" tall to the spire; the scale is 1:300.

The major problems with card stock of this relative thickness is making the tab folds effective - they can add a mm or so that isn't needed when the folds are in place - and general alignment. This models is in four parts and they have to be pretty well aligned to ensure the final fit of the roof.

The other major issue is where the pre-cut and/or printing are out of alignment. My experience on this one indicates that you can trust the 'cut' better than print.

So although building models out of sequence does have its risks, on something like this do check out the build sequence and understand exactly how it fits together, and change the sequence accordingly.

Try and see if you can improve on the pre-cut. For instance I have done my best to cut around all the statues (!); yep it takes time but just gives the model a little more accuracy

Many of these models are still available, mainly in the US, so if any of our American cousins want to have a go seek them out - they're not expensive. For me of course the postage was heavy to the UK - a consequence of the card weight.

They are spectacular and make a pleasant change from the detail HMV models I usually build.

Building this I couldn't but help think of our colleague currently taking us through the build of the Sagrada in Barcelona.

I'll think long and hard before kicking off on that one or, just maybe, I'll tackle St Peters Basilica in Moscow's Red square...

Happy modelling

redhorse
05-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Very cool! I like these Domus kits.

BARX2
05-01-2009, 09:34 AM
That's beautiful! Great job and thanks for sharing.

dansls1
05-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Nice looking model!

Don Boose
05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Very impressive! especially all those graceful flying buttresses.

Don

member_3
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Ah yes, the little known Boeing B-17.5 Flying Buttress! I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. The model is gorgeous.

Phil
05-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Extraordinary!

Mike Stamper
05-07-2009, 07:45 AM
I can sympathise with you about thick card and slots and tabs and die cut pages. I can not understand the diecut system, you still need a knife to trim the pieces.

Here are a couple of ideas to get round some of your problem.

Instead of a simple score line on the tab, try cutting through part-way and gently removing the top layer or so of card. This also have a benefit when the card is gloss, you lose the gloss so the gluing is easier.

The other technique I use is to remove all the tabs and the areas with the slot. I then add a thin piece of paper to the back of the part. This means that the parts can be butt joined.

I used this on the Russian Church I'm making, the drawback is that it takes about ten times as long to make the model, but for me it is well worth the effort.

Cheers
Mike