PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a model of the GW bridge

Ron Caudillo
05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi all,
I have really never done this before, so here goes.

If this post is in the wrong forum, please forgive me. I am looking for a model of the George Washington bridge. I tried a search, but came up empty.

If I can't find one, I'm going to design one. Since it's a request from my boss, I'm going to have to put everything on hold (yeah, I know, but he's going to owe me big time!).

If I can't find a model of it, I'm going to need some reference material. Anyone know of some good photos (especially a side view) or drawings?

Thanks in advance!

rickstef
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
No joy on the model

here is your start George Washington Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge)

THE DC
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I even tapped some very old files.

Tomorrow I'll check a few more sources for you.

The DC

THE DC
05-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I found a very simple Brooklyn Bridge...

http://kcweb.lapl.org/kcweb/servlet/kcFrame?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpapertoys.com%2Fbrooklyn-bridge.htm&resultsurl=kcURLs%3Fgeneration%3D0%252C12522%252C1 2582%252C16354%26inst%3DLA%2B%2B%26branch%3DWB%2B% 2B%2B%2B&gifnum=4&description=Brooklyn+Bridge%3A+Make+a+Paper+Model&inst=LA++&branch=WB++++

Could it serve to help you start the George? They are different for certain , but if it could serve as a [I]"bridge" :eek: to give you a start...

The DC

Ron Caudillo
05-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Hi DC,
Thanks for everything so far. I checked out the Brooklyn bridge model and this is an interesting way to make a simple suspension bridge model.

I was sort of leaning to make a simple version of the GW similar to this, but now after a web search last night, I've been brainstorming this all night over various other ways to construct and build it.

One major problem I'm going to have to deal with early on is that the GW bridge is pretty long between the towers so the model must have some sort of support structure along the roadway because this model will not have a suspension structure like the real thing. Since I have to build and mail the finished model, it's going to have to be pretty self-supporting.

Thanks again for the help so far!

THE DC
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I think they used cement. I'd recommend Elmer's Glue; it washes off quicker.

Seriously, I'll keep my eye out for you...in fact I'll keep both out.

The DC

Phil
05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Someone on another forum suggested google sketchup downloads, I believe that's where Ron is headed.

Ron Caudillo
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks all for the help- you guys are awesome! I really appreciate how the members look out for and help each other. Nice change from the "real" world.

Rick- Thanks for the link!

Phil- I downloaded the Sketch-up model. Does anyone know how I can contact the creator to get his permission to use it? I also want to give proper credit. I'm still going to use it (for the private project), but I don't want to make it available as a public download without permission.

DC- Thanks! Friends, Romans, countrymen just DON'T lend me your ears!

Best Regards,

Phil
05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Ron, on the lower left of the sketchup download window is a "contact" button. That would be a good place to start.

Mike Stamper
05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Ron,

Nice to see your name again, it will make a change from the Enterprise.

I see you were talking about the support, I may be a philistine, but how about thin balsa wood covered in paper ;-)

Paper comes from trees.......

THE DC
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
"Thanks! Friends, Romans, countrymen just DON'T lend me your ears!"

What we need here is a relevant emoticon!

The DC

Thanks all for the help- you guys are awesome! I really appreciate how the members look out for and help each other. Nice change from the "real" world.

Rick- Thanks for the link!

Phil- I downloaded the Sketch-up model. Does anyone know how I can contact the creator to get his permission to use it? I also want to give proper credit. I'm still going to use it (for the private project), but I don't want to make it available as a public download without permission.

DC- Thanks! Friends, Romans, countrymen just DON'T lend me your ears!

Best Regards,

THE DC
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey, I came across this during a detour on the super highway:

http://papermodels.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=10_372&osCsid=6a8ec97760839d154ce4cd263f3c17ca

It’s again not the Washington, but if it could be modified, may save you some time. They are closing down, so check quick. I’m thinking of getting the Macon from them before they close down so i can check to see if they still have the bridge when i call after work if you'd like?

Good luck,

The DC

Ron Caudillo
05-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the offer DC, I really appreciate you keeping your eyes open (and still in your head!:rolleyes:) for me.

Mike Hungerford gave me a link to a Sketchup model of the GW, so I'm going to use this to design the model. I imported it into AutoCad and will need some extensive modification (no bracing is modeled- it's a texture), but the major frame components are intact and is a great start for me so I don't have to reinvent the wheel trying to draw up the dimensions and proportions.

I contacted the creator to see if I could use the Sketchup model to design a cardmodel from it. If he agrees, I will release the model for all to download. If not, then I will just make a single model for my boss (sorry- but I believe in the honoring a creator's work by not ripping off from them). I also like to give credit to contributors that help me too.

Mike Stamper- Good to hear from you again! Yes, I am thinking of that as a possible support method. I've got a few alternate ideas and welcome all new ones! Since I'm still in the drawing/planning stage, I can see what needs to be incorporated into the design as it develops. I love the engineering challenges of design!

Best Regards,

THE DC
05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
All I ask is that you send me a copy when your done.

I can never get enough of building NY.

I'm still hunting local NY street maps of the 1920's for another project I'm working on. I recall researching when these bridges were being built for that project.

Good stuff.

The DC

MIKBEW
05-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Ron

There is a card model of the Brooklyn Bridge (and with an LED Light!), together with other bridges, to be found in the following book: Master Builders : Bridges by Gretchen Banks; you can find it on Amazon US. There is a companion volume Master Builders : Skyscrapers by the same author. They're relatively simple card models but it is, perhaps, a place to start.

MIKBEW
05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Ron

Me again. You wanted GW Bridge not Brooklyn so sorry for the wrong steer, but they're pretty good books anyway.