PDA

View Full Version : Fourth Build - Spitzer Space Telescope

sreinmann
03-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks to ETG for a smashing addition to the great observatories and for his help in finalizing my build.

The model came together well for me. I did choose to use some heavier stock, card board scavenged from cereal boxes and some thin corregated board to build up the bus platforms and the PVA plate. I tried aluminum foil for the primary mirror. Can't say I love the results on close examination. I should have tried a dry fit and sized it better. My struts that hold the cryostat body aren't positioned perfectly either. Maybe I made them too long, but I'm not sure I could have cut them down too much more without interfering with the overall position. One thing that I definitely got wrong, Erik's directions advise that trimming the PVA assembly's rib may be necessary to fit the bus. I thought I had done enough, but once I applied glue to the bus's tabs and slid it into place ... nope, didn't quite fit together well enough. I doubt you'll notice in these pictures, but there's a bit of a gap between the bus and the PVA. Oh well, only I and the rivet counters will notice. ;)

wittman40
03-12-2015, 12:57 AM
Interesting model good job

umtutsut
03-12-2015, 05:16 AM
Most excellent work! Spitzer is on my to-build list for this year.

:cool: Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr. (http://www.voiceofauthority.net))

sreinmann
03-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys. Not as difficult to assemble as say, the WISE with all its struts and tabs. The Spitzer's bus with the pass-through plate (yeah, I know it has a name but I can't remember it now) does help aligning those struts by pre positioning them a bit, but I think I might advise that making the holes wider will give you a better shot of hitting the right marks on the cryostat's body.

I will say, this is one solid spacecraft. My toddlers could play football with it and might hurt a foot when spiking it in the end-zone. LOL.