PDA

View Full Version : Photography standards.

Mike1158
03-18-2015, 09:09 AM
I think this might raise a few hackles but I am genuinely trying to get a point across about the standard of photographs here.

I find that too many are just not focussed properly and nothing removes the impact of a kit that is worked hard at than poorly focussed pictures. There are a great many mini tripods that will take smartphones or digital camera's for not that much in terms of outlay. I hope this can be taken on board without it being taken as an attempt by myself to put others down, I have NO intention of doing that to anyone.

Just a plea for better photographs.

JohnM
03-18-2015, 09:47 AM
:) Hi Mike.

Of course then there's the likes of me that have realised that a slightly off focus, cropped distance picture can craftily fuzz out the little mistakes, glue stains, and missed edge colouring on a model to make it look better than it really is. Especially when you just know that yer mates are gonna zoom right in on it to examine and critique your workmanship.:eek:

What? D'ya mean I'm the only one that does that? Nah, most of us do, but few are likely to criticise unless asked to. They're quite a polite lot round here, who prefer to encourage the inexperienced newbies rather than frighten them off.

Personally, I find zooming right in to examine the workmanship details (warts and all) is a good way of learning to improve my own techniques. Oh yes mates, I critique you all, but as is the way of this forum, I rarely verbalise it other than by the way of offering help.

jagolden01
03-18-2015, 10:32 AM
To each their own. I'm sure people are working the best they can.
Time, space, finacial situation probably all have a play.

Sure, it dissapoints me when I click on a thumbnail and the full size picture is completely blurry, but I'm not going to gripe about it.

Just move on to the next thread.

SCEtoAUX
03-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Let's try to keep this thread civil. So far things look calm. :)

There was another thread a while back that was started by a long time member here about a similar subject matter that kind of deteriorated into a mini flame war. It had more to do with the backgrounds used, but the photographic presentation of models was the main concern.

As the man said, just move on.:)

billy.leliveld
03-18-2015, 11:45 AM
As the POTW-editor, I do understand that not everybody is a good photographer, or has a professional camera, so some times have to tweak the pictures, only changing the lightning or crop them.
It is a pity to see a great build with unusable or unsharp photo's
But I have a few tips;
Don't worry to much about the amount of pixels, 640x480 is more than enough for use on the forum.
Do not use the flash, it makes ugly pictures
Try to use natural light, outside or near a window
If you use a lamp , place it on the spot the sun would be, in reality
If there is a blur because the camera moved, put it on a tripod or use something to rest the camera on, don't make pictures under 1/15th with a hand-held camera.

TheWebdude
03-18-2015, 11:47 AM
And all this time I thought my eyesight was bad.......:rolleyes:

Seriously it's always nice to have a super crisp ultra-detailed photo but I'm glad to look at whatever is posted.

Vermin_King
03-18-2015, 11:50 AM
And all this time I thought my eyesight was bad.......:rolleyes:

Seriously it's always nice to have a super crisp ultra-detailed photo but I'm glad to look at whatever is posted.

That's great to know. If you are ever having 'fuzzy, non-professional' photo withdrawal, let me know and I will happy to oblige

Loui
03-18-2015, 12:13 PM
I have a question regarding photographing a model.. how close/far the proper distance betwen camera to the model... because most of my pictures using my mobile phone (8megapixel)... auto focus on or off... most of the setting are in default mode... and what is ISO, i got iso100,200,400,800...

a web link to beginner photographing would be nice, so i can experiment with the setting on my phone.

Best regards, Loui

Richschindler
03-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Blurry, crystal clear who cares. As long as enjoy what we do, that's all the matters.

nikischutt
03-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Quick search brought up these links:

Photography | Scale Model Guide (http://www.scalemodelguide.com/category/display-photo/photography/)

http://www.finescale.com/en/How To/Articles/2008/05/How to photograph your models in the digital age.aspx

Basic Scale Model Photography (http://www.gatormodelers.org/articles/tips-a-techniques/90-basic-scale-model-photography)

My basic technique:
1. Natural light,
2. Minimise shadows
3. White/light grey background
4. Tripod (if possible)
5. Optical zoom ONLY, NEVER use digital zoom
6. Auto settings (focus, etc.)

Maxing out the megapixels only results in a massive file. Unless you're printing posters, use a smaller size or rescale using software or even when uploading online (flickr, etc.). As Billy pointed out, 640x480 is often fine for the forum, although 800x600 is a nice compromise.

As for blurry images, the better lit the room is, the quicker the camera will autofocus (and thus minimise motion blur).

Niki

SCEtoAUX
03-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Do a search for "how to take good photos with your smartphone".
A couple of sites:
10 Tips For Taking Better Photos With Your Smartphone | Popular Photography Magazine (http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/10-tips-making-your-smartphone-photos-look-they-came-real-camera)
10 Tips for Good Smartphone Photography - TechSpot (http://www.techspot.com/article/879-smartphone-photography-tips/)

aansorge
03-18-2015, 12:51 PM
A tip (Billy Leliveld and Nikischutt touch on it mentioning natural light) is that the more light, the greater the depth of field (usually). so if the mast is in focus, but the forecastle is not, try brighter light. The extra light will close down the aperture some, which results in a deeper field of focus.

Miles Linnabery
03-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Dear Mike:
I for one am happy seeing any photos of paper models, I my self am like so many here on a low income small out lay for hobby and have use of a cheap digital camera. I wish I could do better with photos 30+ years ago I did archaeological photos on Digs but I can't afford the 35mm film or processing to take the old camera out of mothballs.
I will still say any photos are better than no photos, I liked seeing the tips on using cell phones for photos could help many of us to take better photos with what we have to use.
I now step down from the Soap Box,
Miles

Loui
03-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Thank you all for links... bookmark it.

KCStephens
03-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Over the past year or so my trusty old 3.2 mega pixel digital camera camera (and desktop PC) has been collecting dust since I switched over to using a smart phone. The smart phone takes great shots even macro and can easily be posted right into the forum without first transferring to the computer.

Burning Beard
03-18-2015, 01:44 PM
While on the subject of photography, and posting pictures, how do you post the picture so you have a thumbnail that enlarges when you hover your mouse over it. Is it a picture size, an off site storage location or just a magic voodoo incantation that I can't find?

Beard

nikischutt
03-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Over the past year or so my trusty old 3.2 mega pixel digital camera camera (and desktop PC) has been collecting dust since I switched over to using a smart phone. The smart phone takes great shots even macro and can easily be posted right into the forum without first transferring to the computer.

Same here. I use my S4 and upload directly to flickr.

Thing is, megapixels aren't that important. Keeping it simple; better light (and thus faster focusing shots) and a better background (light, uncluttered), even an older camera (as many still use) will be more than fine.

nikischutt
03-18-2015, 01:50 PM
While on the subject of photography, and posting pictures, how do you post the picture so you have a thumbnail that enlarges when you hover your mouse over it. Is it a picture size, an off site storage location or just a magic voodoo incantation that I can't find?

Beard

When replying using "post reply" NOT "quick reply", you attach a photo to your thread using the little paperclip icon in the toolbar of the message reply box. You are limited by size and dimensions though.a

DWest
03-18-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm with John, fuzzy makes my models look a lot better. A great deal of distance between the subject and the camera helps too..............lol

airdave
03-18-2015, 04:18 PM
I generally don't "attach" images.
I store my own pics in my own Photobucket account.

One of Photobucket's. link options is a "Thumbnail" link
I just copy and post the code...and you get a clickable thumbnail.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/cutandfold/th_BlueJay00311-18-10.jpg (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/cutandfold/media/BlueJay00311-18-10.jpg.html)

But obviously, if you post pics here, as attachments, they can appear as thumbnails.

airdave
03-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Much like "texting" has bred a generation of illiterates...
Camera phones have bred a generation of idiot photographers.
I won't even comment on the whole "selfie" thing.

When we only had 12 or 24 pictures on a roll of film and it cost to develop
every roll and cameras were much lower quality, we took the time and care
to get a good shot.
Taking a half decent photo was something you tried to do every time you pointed a camera.

Although, I think Lenses have gone backwards in the last 20 years.
Smaller and cheaper lenses are not improved by more megapixels.

Its not so much "why are you pics blurry?"
...its "why did you post blurry pics?"
If you shoot a photo and its blurry...don't post it...shoot another!

I shoot 5 or 6 shots of the same thing, and then pick out the best photo.
I do this with my DSLR or my pocket camera or my Phone camera.

I agree with all the suggestions to use a tripod or support your camera in some way.
And more natural light, less flash.
I will give credit to digital cameras being able to shoot in less light.
This is one thing I have been waiting for for many years.

Vermin_King
03-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Maybe someone should design a paper model for a picture-taking stand for your smart phone.

airdave
03-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Funny you say that...a few months back I saw one of those "instructables" videos
and the guy had made a simple folded cardboard stand for his iPhone for taking "selfies" LOL.
I liked it and started to sketch out a design for my Galaxy phone but I never finished anything.

I also started work on a little speaker box/stand for smartphones,
but because the Samsung and iPhones are opposite ...speakers at either end...
I gave up on it.

Vermin_King
03-18-2015, 05:50 PM
It's a red letter day when I get a good photo off one attempt. I usually take 2 or 3 to get one photo that is 'postable', but then again my standards aren't very high

peter taft
03-18-2015, 06:16 PM
I won't even comment on the whole "selfie" thing.

When we only had 12 or 24 pictures on a roll of film and it cost to develop
every roll and cameras were much lower quality, we took the time and care
to get a good shot.
Taking a half decent photo was something you tried to do every time you pointed a camera.

Although, I think Lenses have gone backwards in the last 20 years.
Smaller and cheaper lenses are not improved by more megapixels.

Its not so much "why are you pics blurry?"
...its "why did you post blurry pics?"
If you shoot a photo and its blurry...don't post it...shoot another!

I shoot 5 or 6 shots of the same thing, and then pick out the best photo.
I do this with my DSLR or my pocket camera or my Phone camera.

I agree with all the suggestions to use a tripod or support your camera in some way.
And more natural light, less flash.
I will give credit to digital cameras being able to shoot in less light.
This is one thing I have been waiting for for many years.

I agree with all you say here Dave. I used to do all the stuff from camera to darkroom to prints. Those were happy days, but now unfortunately too expensive to carry it on. The digital age made things easier for those who are intimidated by a real camera, although DSLR's are well up there now.

paperengineer
03-18-2015, 07:44 PM

I'm one of those idiot photographers:rolleyes:. Never did the whole selfie thing but never really took pictures before this forum in retrospect...

Phil
03-18-2015, 07:47 PM
I think the addition of more pictures here is wonderful. I enjoy seeing what people are doing regardless of their photographic genius or lack thereof.
Referring to us as idiot is in bad taste.

If you want to set a higher standard, then say goodbye to amateur participation.

airdave
03-18-2015, 09:22 PM

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/cutandfold/Post%20Links/Danger.jpg

nikischutt
03-18-2015, 10:22 PM
I think the addition of more pictures here is wonderful. I enjoy seeing what people are doing regardless of their photographic genius or lack thereof.

If you want to set a higher standard, then say goodbye to amateur participation.

No one is referring to anyone as an idiot, it's a generalisation of the population as a whole. When processes get automated, people forget that there's still some work involved in making a quality finished product.

Seeing pictures of builds is definitely needed. However taking better quality photos is a skill that can be learned and constantly improved (much the same as building a model). One doesn't need to be a genius to take 2 or 3 photos and pick the best one (one of the benefits of a digital camera). As pointed out, improving 2 or 3 basic aspects can make all the difference... again, much the same as building a model.

As with any of the other help topics on this forum, there will always be something that not everyone will agree 100% upon.

mbauer
03-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Agree on several comments posted. If people post a fuzzy photo and you don't like it, move on. I enjoy seeing different models that are built, fuzzy or not.

Started with a 110 camera many years ago, that used film, was expensive processing, then a disc camera, finally the 35mm version. First digital was an eye opener, been hooked ever since. Latest camera is a DSLR Nikon D3100 with two lense (18-55mm & 70-300mm). Now the problem is downsizing the photos for the forum!

Just want to say, "Thank You to every one that posts photos with their threads!".

Mike

whulsey
03-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Hey Mike, how do you like the D3100? My D80 is getting a little long in the tooth and have been thinking about updating.

Art Deco
03-19-2015, 02:28 AM
An easy tip that can improve blurry photos: use the timer!

Blurriness can result from a slight movement of the camera caused by pressing the shutter release button. Using the timer can eliminate this issue.

mbauer
03-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Hey Mike, how do you like the D3100? My D80 is getting a little long in the tooth and have been thinking about updating.
Bought it used 3-weeks ago. Still learning how to use it!

Autofocus seems to work fine, until I use the longer lens, then have to manual focus.

Movies have two ways to focus, having troubles getting it to focus on a stomp rocket launch, area or on a moving item...Sound is good for being mono.

It is a discontinued model by Nikon, found several deals on new ones on eBay and Amazon. Went with this used one because of price and extra lens.

Best thing is the no delay when shutter is pressed, like my old Minolta Dimage 5 had.

Happy so far!

Mike

Phil
03-19-2015, 05:47 PM
image censored
Quoted directly from HAL...

Phil
03-20-2015, 09:48 AM
For airdave
Here's a little prezzy for ya...LOL
(all in good fun, right?)

Mike1158
03-21-2015, 03:30 AM
For airdave
Here's a little prezzy for ya...LOL
(all in good fun, right?)

You seem to want to make things personal and go an extra mile to do it. What IS the problem? Do you take every generalisation so personally?

jagolden01
03-21-2015, 05:13 AM
You seem to want to make things personal and go an extra mile to do it. What IS the problem? Do you take every generalisation so personally?

This is a huge forum with world-wide participation. Clearly a nerve was hit.

I myself didn't take the original post personally, my photos are more than sufficient, but it came across a little terse, harsh, and as a directive.

Again, each to his or her abilities.

The problem I did have is someone giving orders but, as far as I can tell, hasn't helped at all by showing their examples of what and how they do it.
I may have missed it but couldn't find a build thread where hundreds of photos were taken, culled through, adjusted, cropped, and posted with comments.

Phil
03-21-2015, 09:03 AM
I am assuming neither of you are qualified Psycho-analysts so leave your diagnosis at the door, just trying to joke, just trying to play.
take a joke once...

jagolden01
03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
I am assuming neither of you are qualified Psycho-analysts so leave your diagnosis at the door, just trying to joke, just trying to play.
take a joke once...

Phil, sorry. Post not directed at you.

airdave
03-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Maybe someone should design a paper model for a picture-taking stand for your smart phone.

A paper stand for a smartphone?
Now I remember why I didn't make one of these!

I saw an instructable video of a cardboard stand made for an iPhone
which allowed out of reach, but steady, selfies.

And I thought it was a neat idea, and I wanted to design one for my Galaxy phone.

The problem is: taking the picture when it is on that stand.

You see the iPhone has a cool feature that if you plug in the headphone/microphone
it functions as camera controls (while the phone is in camera mode).
In other words, that button (on the headphone cable) you normally push to answer the phone
works as a shutter button when the phone is in camera mode.

Unfortunately my Galaxy doesn't do that.
Which means I still have to be within arms reach of the camera to take a photo
and when I touch the camera, it can shift on the stand resulting in a blurred photo.
And trying to eliminate blurred photos is the whole point to putting the phone on a stand in the first place!

So thats why I didn't bother trying to make a stand.

Just thought I'd mention that, in case anyone has an iPhone
and wants to improve their photo taking by using its remote shutter control.

sgoti
03-21-2015, 07:13 PM

My name is Glenn, and I'm an idiot photographer...

<All in unison: "Hi, Glenn!">

I fully understand and agree with the sentiment of the above statement. Not just camera phones, but (for me at least) digital cameras as well.

Waaaaay back when I was using a 35mm film camera, I used to have to think about things like exposure, depth of field, shutter speed, etc. In the beginning, I took a LOT of "here's an example of what NOT to do" pics, partially because I lacked experience and mainly because I was in too much of a hurry.

Over time, I got better (mostly- My composition stunk, but that's a different matter).

When I got my first real digital camera, I was thrilled- I could instantly see the results, and could (in most cases) take another picture if something didn't turn out the way I wanted (or hoped).

This lead to me rather quickly unlearning/ignoring proper technique "because if it doesn't turn out I can always take another". No more paying (literally) for my mistakes and bad/lack of technique in the form of film and processing: Hit the delete button and shoot again. Wheeeeeee!

Selfies? I remember when selfies meant setting the camera up, starting the timer, and racing around to be in the photo. Hopefully you didn't trip over the tripod in the process. My dada got a very nice picture of my Grandmother's floor that way... :)