PDA

View Full Version : Aligning Markings Techniques?

zot
08-01-2015, 09:05 AM
How do you repainters align markings on a 2-D template? Is it just a matter of trial and error?

Knife
08-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Trial and error and test build. I usually have a layer that I use just for measuring tape type lines to get a rough estimate of position. Check out the tutorial SJSquirrel did entitled "recoloring scissorandpaper models with Inkscape" in the tutorial forum for a better explanation.

murphyaa
08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
It is mostly trial and error, but what I also do is:
note: This is how I do it in Photoshop. It might work in Inkscape too, but I dunno.

-make the marking in it's entirety on a separate layer
-align the whole marking with the first part it's going to be on. There will be part of the marking hanging over, don't worry
-put a visible dot at the edge corner of the part where it will line up with the next part.
-select the dot, and part of the marking that's hanging over using the edge of the part it's on as a guide.
-move the dot (with selected part of marking) down to the corresponding edge corner of the next part.
-rotate the part of marking, using the visible dot on the edge corner as the pivot point until it lines up with the edge of the new part.
-print, build, and fine tune until it lines up perfectly.

Visual aids will be shown after I get home from work and can make them.

zot
08-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have been doing pretty much that same method, Aaron. I have Photoshop so that description works for me.