PDA

View Full Version : Arnoux - Le Stablavion Flying Wing

jagolden01
05-30-2009, 04:21 PM
It's been quite some time since I worked out any design, so I thought I take on a fairly simple one.

I've had reference for this flying wing for 8 months or so. I came across the reference from another recent/current thread on flying wings so I thought I'd give it a go.

I have not found a lot of reference so if anyone has any links, let me know.

Wish me luck!

Golden Bear
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Jag, I don't have any idea what this might turn into. Do you have a photo or a link or something to give us a tie in to your work? And it goes without saying that I'm looking forward to your progress.

Carl

jagolden01
05-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Here's the only photo I have of it.
Also have 2 good 3-views.

billy.leliveld
05-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice plane..
Did you get these? From here;
100 Jahre Nurfluegel/A century of flying wings (http://www.nuricom.de/)

billy.leliveld
05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Euhh... wait a minute, are you doing the Stablavion or the Stabloplan :confused:
And I do wish you luck:D

jagolden01
05-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Euhh... wait a minute, are you doing the Stablavion or the Stabloplan :confused:
And I do wish you luck:D

Billy, the Stablavion - and hey, I'll take any interest in the project. I think the original reference came from that site and another that is linked to it.

The current mention came on the Zealot group, that's what returned me to the design.

billy.leliveld
05-31-2009, 04:18 PM
And this one?
Flying Wings : An Anthology : Ren Arnoux (http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/arnoux.html)

jagolden01
06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Billy, thanks for the other site!

Have made some progress. I will need to adjust some of the graphics, but overall am pleased with it so far.

At this point I'm still creating parts and as I add them it will help me determine a build process and discover things not yet thought out.

I also have not decided the scale. It will probably be 1:24.

jagolden01
06-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I skinned the bottom of the fuselage.
In the second photo the excess width can be seen extending beyond the frame.
Just a quick shave and it's gone.

Also, the ribs across the top and bottom were "plasticized" using CA glue.

member_3
06-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Looking very good - the bracing wires printed on the interior are a nice touch. I think that 1:24 is probably the way to go on a project like this.

eatcrow2
06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Like this project a lot.. Wonderful detailed work so far, and nice photos showing it.

jagolden01
06-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Ron - 1:24. Yes, I like larger sizes, and with the ribs I wouldn't want to force anyone to build smaller. I think when the kit is complete I will include different scale percentages for anyone wishing to build different sizes.

Peter - thanks! Means lot coming from you.

Will skin the top and complete the wings tomorrow.

jagolden01
06-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Top fuselage skin. Top is only covered to the middle of the fuselage, then it's just open framework.

It hasn't escaped me that I've closed the fuselage without installing the seats.
Don't have many details for the cockpit so it will be very simple. I'll be able to drop the seats in through the openings.

mabrown
06-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Love the design and construction of this. It looks very authentic.

Greatly looking forward to more.

billy.leliveld
06-08-2009, 07:07 AM
What kind of paper are you using ? It looks like it has colour and structure like some watercolour-paper, It looks real good.

jagolden01
06-08-2009, 09:42 AM
What kind of paper are you using ? It looks like it has colour and structure like some watercolour-paper, It looks real good.

Billy, I'm using two different stocks on it.

The "heavier" parts like the fuselage frame, the connecting spars etc. are printed on Hammermill 110# cardstock.
Any parts that need to be thicker are laminated on to the same stock.

The "lighter" parts like the outer skins are printed on Hammermill 24# Ultra Premium Ink Jet.

The overall texture does look nice but it's not my doing. It's the combination of the printer (Epson Stylus C88) and the papers.
Under the "Print Settings", I set
"Media Type" to Plain Paper/Bright White Paper.
"Color" to Color.
"Mode" to Automatic and move the slider from Speed to Quality.

And the results are what you see.

jagolden01
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments and interest!

Despite the simplicity of the wings, I had to make adjustments 4 times until I was happy with them. I did make a small concession but I can live with it.

I only have one wing on here as the other was one of the failures.
Single spar for support.
I'm not sure yet how I'll close up the ends as they appear to be flat instead of tapered.
I've placed the 2" cube in the photos for an idea of this build size. Again, when finished it will be at least 1:24.

As can be seen in the large photo with the attached wing, the "cloth" texture pattern is not as pronounced as on the side skins. This is because of the different stock (Hammermill 110# cardstock) being used for the wings.

redhorse
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Absolutely fascinating build. Looks great so far!

Don Boose
06-09-2009, 07:03 AM
There are times in this Forum when I feel as if I am hanging around with a bunch of aviation pioneers, auto mechanics, and boat designers and builders. Bouncing this morning from Peter's and Mark's Albatros builds, outersketcher's helicopter, and this fascinating aircraft is one of those times.

Don

jagolden01
06-16-2009, 04:01 AM
To all following this, I have not abandoned the project, it is still coming along.

After working up the other pieces and feeling the fit well, I have been scaling it up to it's release scale (which will actually be 1:33 - t his is my FINAL answer!).
At that scale it is a very nice size and the smaller parts are easy to work with.
While I was making the gas tank, it became quite obvious to me that I'd have to move ont o the larger scale - my fingers just aren't small enough!