PDA

View Full Version : 1:1 Architectural build

Darwin
08-14-2007, 07:05 PM
For those interested in how the hobby shop is progressing, finally I take a bit of a break and get some pictures posted. First the electrical hookup. I contracted out the power feed to the building. We were able to connect to the house's electrical service, which saved having to install a second electrical meter (which would have been charged commercial rate). The new lawn shed houses a 10 KW emergency generator, which is enough to provide essential circuits in both the house and shop building.

Darwin
08-14-2007, 07:14 PM
The shop building is a pole barn type structure. Quick, easy to put up, but not quite what I was expecting for finishing the inside. To add to it, the drawings the contractor gave the county building inspector didn't show any windows....and the place has lots of them. So, even though it would have passed if the walls were nothing but machinery doors, without a single purlin that hadn't been cut, he flunked the framing inspection until the contractor supplies the proper engineering drawings. Well, that is still working its way through the system. In the interim, I have been beefing up the external wall framing, and adding a conventional frame inside that for attaching wallboard to.

Darwin
08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Here are pics of the internal framing at the storage end of the shop. The first is all mine...the second pic is of the center bay, which will be left open as a reading room for the reference library. The third pic is my wife's storage room. She doesn't know it yet, but I plan future smaller structures on the lot for storage. I put in electrical outlets with the thought that eventually, my store room might become a model train layout.

Gharbad
08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Looks like a quality build :D

My house has random wedges everywhere, and stuff is falling apart, despite being a new house ...

Darwin
08-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Heat will be provided by the propane fireplace unit in the right-hand corner of the reading room. The second pic shows what I think it will eventually look like. Unfortunately, my wife tagged along when I went heater shopping. My original thought was a little, cheap Franklin stove type thing. This is what it morphed into. My hope is that the ceiling fans I'm installing in the rest of the structure will drag down enough warm air from the ceiling to keep the main hobby rooms comfortable.

While waiting for the propane supplier to hook up to the building, I'm kinda stalled on the storage end of the building, so started on the reference library section. The last pics show the main entrance area to the shop. Since that was taken, I've added the ceiling fans in the library section, put in the outside light over the main entrance, and added another electrical circuit. That brings things up to date....now, back on your heads, guys....coffee break's over. Back to the slaving.

Clashster
08-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Great to see the progress, Darwin! So very cool....

rlwhitt
08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Great progress Darwin! I might be misinterpreting the pics, but it looks like the middle room has all the essentials: easy chair, wine/beer cooler and big TV!

Darwin
08-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Rick, you're right on two of the three. What looks like a big screen TV is really the mechanical part of the propane fireplace. Once the mantle is in place, the big screen goes on top of it. The wife says I have to wait until the building is finished before I put the pony keg cooler in place, though. Last night I finished up the wiring on the library ceiling fans. Everything worked the first attempt....including the 3-way switches. Must be getting smarter in my old age....however, I have to admit, my grandkid worked me into the ground tonight unloading 20 sheets of wallboard and a couple dozen more 2x4s. Tomorrow night the cabinet maker shows up to take measurements for the mantle, but still have a contractor whizzing contest going on over who will be responsible for putting in the propane stubout. It better get resolved soon, as the propane company is scheduled to install the tank and gas lines next week. Slowly, slowly, it all comes together.