PDA

View Full Version : AK 47 in 1/1

nothing
06-15-2009, 06:57 AM
well for a first post i wanted to show what ive been working. i just got to this forum so all i have to show at the moment is the 3d renderings. i am currently unfolding it. and hope to start testbuilding soon.

Nemesis7485
06-15-2009, 07:05 AM
ooh! This is a great project. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Darwin
06-15-2009, 08:32 AM
This looks great. Next you need to do an SKS....it would look great hanging on my wall next to the real one.

elliott
06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
As always your textures are great. Looking forward to the testbuild.

cgutzmer
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Note to self - only go to darwins house when invited ;) Looks awesome trent!
Chris

Darwin
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Chris and others, you are always welcome to come to the house uninvited....just knock first before entering is all that is asked. The thing that keeps crime down in a carry state....only one person in a hundred actually carries, but the crud doesn't know which one that is.

ct ertz
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
I have been looking hard at the '51 Colt at Ecardmodels, and I love your early subs. Any chance that you may want to do the 1870s convertions? It would basically be your '51 Colt with a loading gate and different cylinder added. Any how, looks like you have a full plate thes days!

Stev0
06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Any updates on the STEN??? =P

Don't mean to derail...

Nemesis7485
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
These great models drive me nuts because we're not allowed to build/own them here in the UK :(

ct ertz
06-15-2009, 06:24 PM
That's because you paper model nuts might use them to hold up a paper model bank!

RyanShort
06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Is an AR-15 on the way ;) Gotta have one of each ya know. I enjoyed the AK I used to own. Sometimes wish I still had it.

Ryan

cgutzmer
06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
These great models drive me nuts because we're not allowed to build/own them here in the UK :(

REALLY?????? why is that? you guys dont have toys guns of any sort in the UK? Each of his models includes (well its supposed to) an orange tip for the barrel as an option where that might be required. :)
Chris

Nemesis7485
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
REALLY?????? why is that? you guys dont have toys guns of any sort in the UK? Each of his models includes (well its supposed to) an orange tip for the barrel as an option where that might be required.Afraid not. Any toy guns that look anywhere near realistic are illegal here in the UK. When I saw the SA-80 paper kit designed by "Nothing", I really wanted to build it as I'm ex Army and used that rifle myself. I had a feeling it would be illegal here so I took the trouble to contact the Staffordshire police firearms admin dept. I supplied them with a pic of the built model and explained what they were made of, then asked them if it would be legal to build or sell models like this in my own store as I was going to approach "Nothing" about maybe selling his kits. They phoned me and told me that they would be illegal to build or even own an unbuilt kit and also illegal for me to sell kits of firearms. :(

BARX2
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
I wish Jules would issue a 1:1 version of his amazing Walther WA 2000 sniper rifle. It looks just like the original, but it's 1:25, if I'm not mistaken.

SJPONeill
06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I think it is 1/4 scale 'out of the box'

Just wondering about Nemesis' post above - we have similar silly laws here but not as draconian. Police being the same the world over, it is probably worth writing formally to the Police, and enclosing some sample pages from one of the 1/1 gun models (suitably doctored so as not be construed as weapon parts). There is quite a good chance that when they actually see what you are talking about, they more have a change of heart.

Nemesis7485
06-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi SJPONeil,

That's exactly what I did. I sent a letter containing photos and a small kit, not of a firearm though, so they could see exactly what I was talking about. I even explained that these models can easily be crushed in your hand and would turn to mush if gotten wet.

The problem is, from their point of view, is that from a short distance, it would be impossible to tell they aren't real and anyone dumb enough to wave one of these around in a threatening manner would be likely to eat a Police bullet.

The only exception to these rules in this country seems to be re-enacting groups and movie/theatre groups. There is a special liscence they can get allowing ownership of deactivated and replica firearms "for theatrical use".

SJPONeill
06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
So you'll be changing your site's name to UK Shakepearean Drama and Paper Models?

I think that they take it too far sometimes, even post-911, especially given the range of weapons that are freely available in any High Street. Anyone dumb enough to parade around, let alone threaten, with a paper replica weapon probably needs to be culled out of the gene pool...I am always amazed how blase people are towards police until such time as they need them and/or get caught up in an incident due to their own dumbness...and thus we have these rules that spoil it for everyone else...

elliott
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I am always amazed how blase people are towards police until such time as they need them and/or get caught up in an incident due to their own dumbness...

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot.

Rudyard Kipling - 1890

Nemesis7485
06-16-2009, 03:04 AM
So you'll be changing your site's name to UK Shakepearean Drama and Paper Models?

Now THERE's an idea, lol.

What you say is exactly right, SJP and Elliot's lil poem just about says it all. I wouldn't be on a British Police firearm team for all the money in the world. When a police officer shoots someone here there is always uproar followed by enquiries up the wazoo in an attempt to screw the cop for murder or manslaughter.

I'd like to see how any of those ppl screaming "civil rights" would fare when faced with a split second decision as to whether what someone is pointing at them is real or fake.

Anyway, I think I've hijacked this thread so I better shut my yap, lol.

nothing
06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
thanks for all the compliments. and i wouldnt consider this conversation as really being OT i find it very interesting. i know in Austalia you have to get a collecters license to build these.

ct ertz- its possible maybe one day. so many ideas floating through the old noggin!

stevo-if enough people really wanted the sten i suppose i could nock one out fairly quick. it is a relativily simple design.

ryanshort-i do plan on something in the M-16 family just havnt settled on a game plan yet.

of couurse things could change when i actually come to deciding the next one but i was considering the stg-44 or a 1836 flintlock. maybe ill run a poll when i get to that point.

the ak is unfolding right nice except the clip is giving a bit of a fit.

mousemuffins
06-16-2009, 07:40 AM
looking great , nothing. I have to ask why the hand grip is grey?

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Nemesis7485
These great models drive me nuts because we're not allowed to build/own them here in the UK /QUOTE]

well, I had to obtain a collectors licence for mine, and I'm in Australia. but be under no illusions, these models CAN be built to be quite convincing, and not necessarily easily crushed.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/Mousemuffins1/100D0437.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/Mousemuffins1/Thompson/100D0601.jpg

both the Thompson and 1851 colt were built from nothings designs. the Thompson is STILL not finished, I must get back to that.

I've been working on a STEN, but I'm happy to defer to nothings very capable skills, as I'm a complete noob at this designing thing. :o

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/Mousemuffins1/STENMKII/MKIISten2.jpg

Keds_Girl_Lala
06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Well, if it was I, I would NOT draw attention to that I was going to download and make these. I suppose in the Ukraine or Russia, we do not have the illusions that the Police they know best and we don't just go to them and say oh, I want to make this paper model machine gun... The authority they would not know you had the pages and unless there was some inner guilt that make me go to the authorities to report myself, I would not have any worry.

if the police they did come, you could eat the evidence!

Stev0
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm sorry Nothing ... I thought it was YOU that was working on the Sten. =X

Nemesis7485
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
if the police they did come, you could eat the evidence!

Haha! I'm trying to LOSE weight, not gain more. How many calories in an AK-47 anyway?

kenlwest
06-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Eat the evidence!

Now that's funny!

I know there are a lot of groups of wingnuts here in the US that would love to see these banned - paper and otherwise. Any such new laws restricting these will just cause people to go underground.

I am not into guns that much, but Nothing's models are brilliant and extremely intriguing and tempting. I think I'll try this one.

Ken

redhorse
06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
These are incredible models. And I've been thinking of getting a black powder rifle....

Maybe I'll just build a paper version.

nothing
06-17-2009, 07:35 AM
mousemuffins- i started with the "orange" grip but thought it too overpowering and wanted to subdue the weapon a bit. i wanted a "classic" looking ak . i found an example with this grip on that matche the reciver i did. as a matter of fact the stock and forward grips came from that same gun.

Keds_Girl_Lala
06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
The original gun I think it has bright orange plastic grip and stock from what I see at home.

mousemuffins
06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Ah . okay. I'd not seen the grey grip before. more used to the all wood furniture.

Stev0
06-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Didn't the AKS have the red/orange grip and red clip?

I think the AKM had the grey grip.

Personally, I think it could have anything with the amount of custom gear out there.

nothing
06-18-2009, 06:59 AM
right. there are so many permiations. one other problem is that i dont have any good enough pictures of a wooden grip to match the stock and foregrip. i may go back and put the orange grip on to look at. the first time i did it i didnt have the metal textures on. if i use the orange grip it would be more in line with weapons i fried in my soviet weapons familiarization course.

shrike
06-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Books can and have been written on the various stocks fitted to Kalashnikov rifles. My favorites are the early DDR ones with laminated stocks and Mauser type furnishings

Stev0
06-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Aren't the Chinese versions made like the East German AK-47's?

Here is a great reference for anything that uses gunpowder... this is the Assault Weapons page.

Modern Firearms - Assault Rifles - Intro (http://world.guns.ru/assault/as00-e.htm)

Don't forget the AK-Line... showing a vast array of furniture types.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as01-e.htm

nothing
06-18-2009, 02:56 PM
ok what ya think?

Stev0
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Looks like an AK-47 to me. :)

Actually, is there any plan to remove the hot spots on the wood?

member_3
06-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Mighty fine! When will it hit Chris' store?

nothing
06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
stevo- you talkin about the white reflections?

oldtroll- im still unfolding and arranging. then i have to edit the flaps, post editing, then test build. if that goes smooth then final editing, instructions and packaging. i dont want pin myself to a deadline but i am working steady on it. maybe 2 or 3 weeks. i would like to finish it before i move at the end of july.

shrike
06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Will there be a GP-25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP-25) add-on kit available?

Stev0
06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the Hot Spots on the wood areas.

In case no one else understands what I am talking about. Hot spots are caused by a high specularity in a texture. As a surface becomes more reflective, any light source will be more accurately reflected or defined.

Like when you take a picture of a car and you see the camera's flash on the cars surface as a white spot.

nothing
06-18-2009, 09:57 PM
ok the spots were from the photo. the glare on the varnished wood. it wasnt a secular thing from meta. how does this look?

nothing
06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
shrike probably not for awhile. this project is using up my interest in this particular weapon.

nothing
06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
finally started building. upper and lower receiver.

Stev0
06-28-2009, 11:23 PM
ok the spots were from the photo. the glare on the varnished wood. it wasnt a secular thing from meta. how does this look?

Looks good so far. You seem to tackle model and textures at the same time.

nothing
06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
i do stevo for 2 reasons 1 the test build identifies any problems with the textures and more importantly i cant do total textures on an unfolded pattern. can never seem to get things lined up right that way.

rear site built. im not paying to much attention to part cleanup on a test build.

nothing
07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
put together grip trigger and clip.

Nemesis7485
07-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Excellent! This is looking up to your usual high standard, Nothing. Top job!

nothing
07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
thank you Nemesis7485

got the lower front handgrip done.

Stev0
07-04-2009, 09:43 PM
So far ... so good.

redhorse
07-04-2009, 11:06 PM
These guns of yours are really incredible. I'm impressed!!

nothing
07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
well between trying to get the Virginia sub under way ,i managed to get thr upper hand grip done.

nothing
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
barrel done!

nothing
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
almost done. the stock was bit small so i enlarged the kit stock.

treadhead1952
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
A very impressive and clean build all around. It looks good enough to get you eyed very closely if ever taken outside the premises. ;) :D

ct ertz
07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
The Egyption AKs we got into the guns hop during the 90s all had rosewood thumb hole stocks and itty bitty 10 round mags. During the Clinton gun ban era, and these alterations turned a naughty gun into a nice gun, not sure how but it was the law! It busted the sales of the SKS even though they too had to have their nasty spikes removed. (apparently bullets kill less Innocent people then those mean looking spikes!)

I used to own those and other modern guns, but even shooting surplus ammo they get expensive to feed! I stick pretty much to my old black powder these days. I love the 1-1 colts that you have offered.

And one more thought, as if you did not have enough on your plate, but how big of a pane in the but would it be to change your broom handle into Han Solo's blaster.

eibwarrior
07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Very impressive Trent. That would look good on any hobbyist's wall.

It seems this design would be a good starting point for several guns in this "family" of semi autos.

nothing
07-10-2009, 06:29 AM
And one more thought, as if you did not have enough on your plate, but how big of a pane in the but would it be to change your broom handle into Han Solo's blaster.

actually Han Solos blaster was based on the C96 mauser. the one i did was the M72. there are enough differences that a redesign would be in order. at some point i may design the c96. but i have had a lot of requests for a P08 Luger.

thank you treadhead1952 and eibwarrior! i might consider more varients later. i would be mor interest in persuing some of the other russian designs such as the vinatar and druganov.

nothing
07-10-2009, 08:22 AM
couldnt resist had to show a family portrait!

treadhead1952
07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
A very nice family portrait indeed, enough to gladden the heart of any confirmed gun nut.

I am quite impressed by the wood work that you manage to build for these, that is the one sticking point on a number of other paper model gun builds that I see.

One of the plus points of these is that you don't need to have them locked away in a gun safe like I have to do with the real ones. But then, getting to take the real ones out and getting to shoot them is a definite positive mark for the real McCoys. ;)

nothing
07-11-2009, 08:03 AM
ok its available:) Trent C Henry - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for builders of all styles (http://ecardmodels.com/shop/index.php?manufacturers_id=22)

Stev0
07-11-2009, 12:51 PM
You did a great job on this.

Guess you would have no trouble designing his earlier relative...

http://www.mp44.nl/images/mp44.jpg

:D

nothing
07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
thank you stevo! i actually was leaning on the stg44 next but ive had a few people wanting me to resurect the luger p08.