PDA

View Full Version : Post Editing

Paragon
06-15-2009, 11:10 AM
For some reason I seem to be unable to edit posts made yesterday. I assume there's some sort of a time sensitive trigger for this? I'd really appreciate being able to go back and fix them whenver I want, I have a tendency to make typos, and sometimes I like adding extra images.

Phil
06-15-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm afraid that may be my fault!

Maybe if Jason and Rick want to forgive me they could fix it.

rickstef
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
James,

I will talk this over with Jason, and we will see what we can do

Keds_Girl_Lala
06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I ask about this before becuase I have to start over with a post versus to add or edit one. But yes you can not edit past an amount of time passing.

Don Boose
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Phil sed: “I'm afraid that may be my fault!”

You were responsible for THIS, too, Phil?

I knew you were responsible for global warming, the diminution in the frog population, the end of vaudeville, and the designated hitter rule, but THIS?

dansls1
06-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Really? The designated hitter rule? Sad, sad Phil - that changes my entire opinion of you...

:D

Phil
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Don't forget the Grand Canyon!...damn leaky hose!

Keds_Girl_Lala
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Is you responsible for the disappearance of Honey Bees also?

Phil
06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
NO, I Love flowers too!

Paragon
06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
So I see I still can't edit older posts. Any work on this, or should we expect not to be able to? I can get along fine without it if necessary.

Phil
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
So I see I still can't edit older posts. Any work on this, or should we expect not to be able to? I can get along fine without it if necessary.

Would you like fries with that?

redhorse
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I hope we won't be able to edit the older ones!!!! I like crazy mistakes, my personal favorite was "emboosed"

cMags
06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I like the ability to edit older posts.. I usually don't do it but on occasions I like the option. One example is a recent post where I hotlinked an image... the next day the image was replaced with a "No Hotlinking" image but I couldn't pull the image out. Another is in my Builds thread. While I have an active build, I usually link to it (or did on Z) from my builds thread, with a current pic of the progress, then replace it when its completed. Won't be able to do so here. No biggie I can just post it after completion, but there are cases where the edit function is useful.

Jason
06-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Rick asked if I could give an answer on the editing of posts, and I only felt it was fair that I answer since it was my decision that posts not be editable after 60 minutes. The reason I decided that there should be a time limit on being able to limit posts is due to a past experience where a member edited all their old posts to read "removed" or "please delete". Which is fine if it is only one or two posts, but they edited all their posts and it made some threads unreadable. So in order to prevent that from happening here, I made the decision to limit the ability to edit posts to 60 minutes. I would love to allow everyone to edit their posts indefinitely, but it only take one bad apple to spoil it for everyone. No Phil, you are not that bad apple.

That said, I am willing to increase the time limit if people see a need. The only question would be to what? 2 hours, 12 hours, a day, a week? Any thoughts?

Jason

PS. I should also mention that I am always more then willing to correct mistakes or relink images if need be. Just drop me a PM and I will get to it when I can.

shrike
06-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I vote to stick with the current limit for the reasons you cite. It encourages a little bit of restraint and forethought, while allowing the occasional cranio-rectal inversion to be remedied in a timely fashion.

member_3
06-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Stick with 60 minutes.

Phil
06-17-2009, 12:39 AM
I vote to stick with the current limit for the reasons you cite. It encourages a little bit of restraint and forethought, while allowing the occasional cranio-rectal inversion to be remedied in a timely fashion.

It's hard to type while laughing so hard Shrike!
I third that vote.
Thank you Jason!

Gharbad
06-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah I don't mind the limit anymore.
The only time I wanted to do something was when I was renaming Photobucket albums... obviously rare.

Art Deco
06-17-2009, 03:59 AM
I like the limit. If comments can be edited long after they are posted, replies which follow may no longer make sense. Also, as Shrike noted, it encourages posters to think a moment before hitting "submit". If administrators are around to fix mistakes in old posts, I see no drawbacks with the current limit.

cMags
06-17-2009, 04:31 AM
Well it sounds as if there's a quick majority vote in favor of the status-quo, and I can go along with it. Knowing what the limit is helps.

Don Boose
06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
60 minutes is okay with me -- I can live with the chagrin (n. not v.t.) of seeing my past typos hanging around forever like ghosts at a wedding.

Jim: "emboosed" was a MISTAKE?

Don

Ron0909
06-17-2009, 09:55 AM
I like 60 minutes as well. When something foolish comes out of my mouth or off the tip of my fingers it only takes a couple minutes to realize what I've done. I've seen in another forum where a reason for the edit is a requirement and that reason is placed at the bottom of the post
Jason and Rick, it's perfect :)

Ron

redhorse
06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
60 minutes is okay with me -- I can live with the chagrin (n. not v.t.) of seeing my past typos hanging around forever like ghosts at a wedding.

Jim: "emboosed" was a MISTAKE?

Don

That's what I liked about it, it was so perfect!

THE DC
06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm Irish. I try to stay 'emboosed.'

Don't apologize, lets be 'embossed' all!

The DC