PDA

View Full Version : Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Retired_for_now
06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Thought I give you some background, pix of my builds, and some philosophizing to lighten your day.

I got back into card modelling last winter. I've been building for a long time - plastic models, simple index card boats, balsa fliers many years ago. Evolved into carpentry and associated boat building therapy.

'yer simplest boat: 12' can-yak at 1:1 scale from 1/4" plywood (that's paper before the pulping for the purists here...)

Retired after 28 years service and became active doing education with the local Air Force Association chapter. We do an annual educator workshop for local teachers (STEM - science, technology, engineering, and math). Local AF base tour (flight line and flight simulators), speakers and hands-on seminars on bringing STEM into the classroom. The 2008 workshop had a session on stomp rockets (cardboard tube launched from PVC pipe attached to a 2 liter soda bottle - stomp on the bottle and the rocket goes!) and a display of a straw rocket launcher ($200 !!! from Pitsco).

While working up the 2009 agenda, I thought I could do stomp rocket launchers and a straw rocker launcher for door prizes. Showed the (CRUDE) prototype straw launcher to some local teachers at one of our meetings - and it was immediately conscripted and disappeared into the trunk of someone's car. So, I figured they would make good door prizes. A little more design and I had one you could build for less than $10 - as functional as the expensive launcher but more rugged (kids can go hands on) and cheap to fix if they did manage to break it (one bent tube - easily straightened - so far in all I've made).

Plans for stomp/straw rocket launchers posted at LHVCC (jleslie48.com) under the downloads / miscellaneous .

Decided to look for something more exciting than just straws to launch - tried a few simple flat gliders. Then I found these:

NASA shuttle glider in 20# bond paper printed at two pages per sheet and a similar build of a free Cub from Fiddler's Green via the USAF Civil Air Patrol's education efforts. A bit of work on the straw mounting and center of gravity and they make really good fliers off the launcher.

Neat as they were, I went looking for rockets too (Google is a wonderful thing). Found lots of links and sites - then the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center. Roland's 1:288 ARES I was perfectly sized - add some internal card washers with 1/4" holes and it flies! A scaled down (1:200) Landsbergen Soyuz and similarly scaled Long March/ShenZhou from Hong Kong (or a link from U-don's) also works well.

The reaction from the teachers at the workshop was enthusiastic and gratifying (gave away 4 stomp rocket and 16 straw rocket launchers as door prizes - and everyone got plans to make, or have the students make, their own). We had Winston Scott (astronaut) as keynote speaker and Les Gold from the traveling NASA team with a programs update and Lunar Material custodian certification class for the teachers - my competition was tough.

So, I could make paper rockets and aircraft without worrying about display space or dusting (wife was firm on the dusting models issue -NOT her job). I had plenty of teachers asking for real space builds - and the rockets were sturdy enough for the kids to handle, cheap enough to replace if needed, and simple enough the kids could build their own if it sparked an interest.

It was too cold to finish rebuilding my dock (still post hurricane Ivan repairs, this will make the third rebuild) so I spent some time in the shop.

A short period of insanity ensued.

To be continued ...

treadhead1952
06-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Gee Yogi, not into rockets or anything are you? :D

Sorry couldn't resist, but that is a great looking assortment of goodies and the air launch system is a great idea to capture some younger builders to the hobby. Gotta luv your "Can-Yak", anything built by hand has my attention, especially if it goes on the water, very nice.

I guess it is a good thing you retired, far too busy enjoying the retirement for any sort of steady work. Looking forward to more as you go along.

Retired_for_now
06-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I was just practicing on the rockets until I got good enough to add to the wife's penguin collection (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!).

Yogi

Just one (of three walls - but she did "let" me build her the cabinets).
Canon, Yamaha, and PaperToys (I think) critters

rickstef
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
http://www.epson.jp/aqua/craft/01/index.htm
http://www.epson.jp/aqua/craft/diorama/02/index.htm

Check those out

Retired_for_now
06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks, now downloaded and on my build list (in reserve for the next time she uses the term "insane").

Yogi [cue maniacal laughter]

Retired_for_now
06-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Today's installment ...

I was having way too much fun, started feeling guilty (another character flaw, I'm still working on this retirement thing). I decided I'd build the current crop of manned launchers as a theme/purpose. I already had the Long March and Soyuz in 1:200 (so I rescaled everything to match that - no logical reason, just lazy) and added Alphonso's AXM Shuttle, enlarged Roland's ARES I from the LHVCC, and kit-bashed Lancer's Jupiter 232 (also LHVCC) into the latest ARES V configuration by stretching and redoing the engine section. I also did a downsized and simplified build of Ton's (smaller) Saturn V to provide some historical perspective.

Now living at a local elementary school

That led to building the series of space capsules - Precison Paper's Mercury (from the wayback machine), Ton's Gemini/Apollo/Orion, MARS Center's Soyuz (arghhh-lots of little parts, but I did get to brush up on my Italian with the instructions), and a very simple Chinese ShenZhou from Hong-Kong (also via U-Don's I think, Yuki Yuji had a much better one out a while ago but it's been pulled). I'm missing the Vostok and Voshkod - hadn't found Leo's site at that time.

Out as examples for local High School Aviation Institute project - find and build your own for credit.

Then I did a few airplanes - just for the heck of it. Paragon's CV-22, Paper-Replika's MQ-1, and a Piper Cub built to plans for an old friend (Air Force historian, two-star general on the weekends, and proud owner of the Cub "Patches").

Rather agressively claimed by a local school teacher, modified to USAF configuration - note a bit o' "fitting" for the lower windscreen. Had to cut loose and redo - my bad, I think, not the design's
Donated to Combat Controller squadron
Patches

To be continued ...

Retired_for_now
06-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Of course, my objective in building the models was purely altruistic - with no thought for myself ...

Anyway, I last saw most of the first batch of builds at (of all things) the local Junior League's "Spring Science Explosion." Despite a really nasty day (heavy rain and T-storms) and a last minute move across town, we had about 500 total folks drop by. About 300 kids, and they all stopped in. Had 'em standing in line to shoot rockets into a bucket. Even passed out cards with the URLs for the models - along with our usual literature.

bait
catch (it's well after closing time, had to run him off)

Delivered the models to the various schools, then continued building. Next theme - tour of the solar system in 1:48. I'll take them in order, though I actually started with Ton's Pioneer 10/11 and some of the simpler NASA/JPL/ESA offerings.

No visits to the sun yet, but I did find ESA's SOHO model. I was disappointed with its accuracy - box and a cylinder. So, I redid it. It wasn't too difficult as spacecraft are generally not complex shapes. Boxes, cones, and the occaisional cylinder. With the SOHO done, I found a NASA site about the Solar Probe Plus scheduled for a 2015 launch. No engineering drawings, but lots of good pix in their latest engineering report. Another design task.

SOHO - available at LHVCC (jleslie48.com)
Solar Probe Plus

Mercury is being visited, soon to be orbited, by the MESSENGER probe so that was next. Had quite a bit of information on that one - one of the teachers I work with is a MESSENGER Fellow, part of the NASA education and outreach program. Unfortunately, the model they've put out is another box - no detail at all. So, I did another scratch design. It's desk-model level detail, certainly not museum quality but better than a box.

To be continued ...

jparenti
06-17-2009, 01:10 AM
MESSENGER and Solar Probe... want badly... drool...
:D
Very nice models there Yogi. I'm a big fan of your work from jleslie's site.

Retired_for_now
06-17-2009, 03:41 PM
MESSENGER
1:48
and 1:24 (build as a gift to our local teacher/MESSENGER Fellow)

cgutzmer
06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I really like all the pics you are sharing with us! Thanks for keeping them coming :)
Chris

Retired_for_now
06-17-2009, 03:49 PM
The Solar Probe(s)

Wings out is "normal"

Encounter configuration on right - hiding behind the sun shield

Retired_for_now
06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Always happy to oblige Chris.

So, other significant Mercury probes would include the first, Mariner 10, and the next, ESA's Beppi-Colombo mission. Found a few pix, but not enough to do a quick design so I passed on (maybe do later).

Venus is currently orbitted by the ESA Venus Express, another box but the spacecraft itself is a box. Some decent graphics and nice detail on the ESA model. Missing is the Magellan, first probe to map the surface of Venus in detail. I found a commercial model, but was unimpressed with the detail and the fidelity (just looked wrong). So, Magellan ended up being another scratch build (posted at the LHVCC).

Venus Express
Magellan

Of course, the various Mariner Venus and Venera probes are missing - I haven't found any models or good (full) sets of drawings (another to do later...)

On to the Pale Blue Dot! Had no clue as to which of the hundreds of significant satellites to do - so I didn't. Passed right on to:

Mars. This was easy. Did a Ton/E te Groen Rover (1:15) with a few detail mods (and had a redo as the first was immediately hijacked by one of my teachers). Followed that with a Polar Lander (1:24) modified to a (close to) Phoenix configuration - had to do another (at 1:12 to better match the Rover) for the same reason as the Rover. Of the three orbiters, the Reconnaissance orbiter has the highest profile. Unfortunately, it's also the one without a published model - so I did (posted also with LHVCC). Slightly wiser this time, I made three MRO models (counting the prototype) so I have one left for the Solar System tour set.

Rover at 1:15
1:12 Polar Lander/Phoenix
MRO 1:48

Both the ESA Mars Express (ESA puts out a fairly good model, graphics not quite as good as the Venus Express) and the Mars Odyssey are in orbit now (NASA aerobox model is all that's available); and ESA/Russia is preparing a landing on Phobos - the Phobos Grunt mission (with a name like that I gotta build it eventually, alas no model yet and sparse info). However, I was getting funny looks from "she who's opinion matters most" so I decided to move on.

Things might be getting sparse out here - but there's cool stuff ahead: asteroids, comets, gas giants, and beyond ...

Retired_for_now
06-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Still hot, started moving my stuff inside to the game table (otherwise it's the dark of the morning only for modeling in the garage).

So, that seemed like enough for Mars. The NEAR mission that orbited, photographed, and landed on the asteroid Eros always fascinated me. So, I built the little JPL box and added enough detail so it looked a bit more like the probe. Had to do two here also since the first one was quickly claimed. I've added some 3-D detail to most of the models I've found. Simple equipment boxes, raised panels, instruments, and propulsion. The challenges have been finding good pictures/diagrams to work from and then whether to create a supplemental page of parts or just to draw it up the old fashioned way and bash it together. I usually ended up doing it by hand, occaisionally printing additional pages to get the graphics, textures and colors needed.

Still need to do the DAWN (JPL model - needs detail) and Deep Space One missions (Ton) to asteroids.

While I was doing the small bodies, I found JPL's gorgeous Deep Impact (now EPOXI for a second rendezvous). Something about slinging a big copper slug into a comet at the speed of heat was just too cool. Not only was it great science - it was smashing things just to see what would happen. Very little to add here, though it needed barrels for the star tracker and some equipment boxes.

And, Stardust (JPL) and Giotto (ESA) are on the to-do list for comet missions. Both models look to require a bit of added detail.

A note on displays. I tried to locate a significant image and an explanatory graphic from the web. That was printed on card stock and either folded into a base (rover/lander) or glued to a thin board/plywood. Spacecraft are easy to attach - rockets with a vertical dowel up a nozzle, space probes by slipping a flat part (usually solar array) into a split in the end of a thin dowel. This also allows handling the model, which I think is very important. If you can't touch it it might as well be CGI.

A spacecraft for Jupiter was easy, Pioneer 10/11, Voyager (grand tour coming up later), and Galileo (now ashes in Jupiter's atmosphere). NASA JPL has a very nice Galileo. I did add a few 3-D pieces, mostly instruments (little boxes). For some reason they spend a lot of time and effort on struts and whatnot, then use a flat silhouette for the instruments - the whole reason the critters exist. Anyway, as I said before a few boxes and some crayons rectified the matter.

The Pioneers (10/11 by Ton) also make a nice contrast here for the different generations (and the sizes) of probes. The Pioneer was actually the first probe I built after doing several rockets - perfect starter with good detail but not too many parts or fiddly bits.

Saturn was also a no brainer with Cassini - both the simple and "complex" models from NASA JPL. The complex model is not very - but there's plenty of information available to add instrument and other detail (so I did). The simple model certainly is - but it's resting cheerfully in a classroom so that's a happy thing (joy, joy).

To be continued ...

Retired_for_now
06-18-2009, 03:17 PM
JPL's complex Cassini model was sort of complex - but not in terms of detail. Fortunately, there's plenty of information available to add instrument and other detail (so I did). Filled out the flat panels that should have been boxes, extended the magnetometer boom to full length, did 3-D for the tanks, and of course filled out the instruments.

Uranus and Neptune are still mostly blank, with only the Voyagers having done a flyby. I spent a lot of time staring at Ton's Voyager - it's beautiful but also complex (and even more so if I downsized it to 1:48 to match the rest of the probes). My courage failed me, so I did my own Voyager, not much more complex than Ton's Pioneer (I also had many of the parts already done, since the Magellan Venus probe was built with a lot of leftover Voyager parts). Posted at Jon Leslie's LHVCC e-gift shop. Forgive me Ton, I will do your Voyager justice (eventually).

The no-longer-a-planet Pluto does have a probe enroute - the New Horizons spacecraft. Vaughn Hoxie did a nice model that can be easily modded to add a little more 3-D to the instruments. Just print off another copy of the model and cut/paste to make the parts.

U Colorado must have changed their server; the model is now at http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/New%20Horizons%20Model.pdf (http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/New%20Horizons%20Model.pdf) and http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/Model%20Instructions.pdf (http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/Model%20Instructions.pdf)

And, of course, the Pioneer and Voyager probes also cover the outer reaches on their interstellar missions. Currently moving through the solar heliopause shock wave - and generating fundamental new science (they aren't flying quite in accord with Newton's gravity). See Pioneer Anomaly - What We Do | The Planetary Society (http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects/pioneer_anomaly/)

So, we turn back to the small blue marble ...

Retired_for_now
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Vaughn Hoxie's home page at the University of Colorado is Home Page for Vaughn Hoxie (http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/) . The links to the New Horizons model and instructions are working from there now. If anybody knows the Ninfinger/Niels/Int'l List of Scale Model Related Sites/etc. folks feel free to let them know about the UC server change (fix their busted links).

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Looking at Earth/Moon projects, I settled on starting with the telescopes. Cosmology/astronomy fascinates me. Even after seeing the various Hubble builds done by my betters, I decided to start with that. I went with Ton's intermediate Hubble with (as usual) a little kit bashing to add the bump plates and grapple fixtures from his expert model. Still haven't added his latest mod, the soft capture and docking system since that would preclude setting the 'scope down on the only flat surface remaining on the model. Might end up mounting it suspended like cdavenports great build - probably build something to hold it over a base (Pillars of Creation graphic). Trick is to make it easily removeable so the kids can handle it. Lots of places to find this model - I picked it up from hubblesite.org . Most of the telescopes I've found are at the mission teams' sites, not at NASA or JPL model pages. The NASA (or ESA) pages do provide a link to the mission site.

Anyway, decided to follow that up with the next generation James Webb Space Telescope. The NASA JWST model was a bit of a disappointment. Basic structure and kit design was OK, but it lacks detail (for no good reason) and the parts are not well fitted. I did one and was unhappy enough to do a redesign. Kept the basic structure the same (so as not to have to write instructions, lazy bugger that I am) but added some needed parts, moved some around, and added graphics. Found the basic model at The James Webb Space Telescope (http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/public.html) . Still tweaking my version.

I think my theme is now the search for extraterrestrial planets - so Kepler (just launched) was next. Kepler's an IR telescope designed to find planets. The model is basically well made and interestingly designed. However, the spacecraft bus has almost no surface detail - and no reason not to. Missing parts are the equipment boxes, star trackers, and some omni-antennae. Should get that one done tomorrow. Downloaded it from the Kepler education pages at http://kepler.nasa.gov/ed/sim/index.html (http://kepler.nasa.gov/ed/sim/index.html) . The NASA Discovery Missions site is another good node for finding models, follow the education links. DISCOVERY ::: MAIN HOME PAGE ::: Welcome to Unlocking the Mysteries: NASA's Discovery Program (http://discovery.nasa.gov/index.html)

Next on the list is Spitzer - it's out of coolant, so less sensitive, but will still be working for several more years in its "warm" observation phase. It's another IR telescope like Kepler and has several exo-planet "finds" to its credit. Found a Landbergen (E. te Groen) model at the CalTech mission site Spitzer Space Telescope (http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/spitzer/index.shtml) - select features from the menu.

I also found an ESA model for COROT, another IR telescope with several "finds." Looks like it has nice graphics - we'll see about detail as we go. The model is at the French Space Agency site, CNES // COROT \\ (http://www.cnes-multimedia.fr/corot_en/multimedia_documentations_en.html?men=3) ; or you can find it through several of the links sites like Ninfinger, Neils, or Hamanaga.

And so we come to the end of today's saga - except for a few random efforts to design something for the stomp rocket (a fat ARES I should work) or modify a design for an easy kid's build (seeing a pattern in my ADD?). Ah well, I'll post more detail on individual builds if there's interest.

More to follow - some bat-time, same bat-channel.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Finished up the Kepler build - little boxes, other little bits 'o paper and card - somebody stop me before I snap!

I've been continuing these builds at 1:48 scale (no good reason, just inertia). Now wondering if these wouldn't work better in little hands at 1:24 - or whatever scale gives them a 6-10" model. Probably should be using the larger scale and 110# paper. Of course, that means I have to build them again ...

Gideon
06-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Yogi,

Keep 'em comin'. I'm following this thread intently. Don't think a lack of replies means nobody is looking. I am watching and admiring your work. My son and I did the Kepler model as a part of a NASA program he participated in and it was our first build. I am currently working on manned launch vehicles (Gemini Titan II at the moment) but never really considered probes and satellites until seeing your work. You're making my "to build" list longer every time I see more pics.

Blessings,
Sean

Phil
06-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Yogi,
Don't think a lack of replies means nobody is looking. I am watching and admiring your work.

Me too! I must say, you have been busy. I wish I had 1/4 the motivation you are displaying.

I have been wanting to update my blowrockets to represent real space rockets, and other flying objects, including some blowplanes (knowing nothing about aircraft or flight)...but I will try (all designs taken in order of my ability).

Retired_for_now
06-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Gideon, Phil,
I'm always happy to help. There might be a lot on the build list, but none of the one's I've been working take more than a couple hours (uniterrupted time - total depends on "she who must be entertained" and the TV schedule).

Phil - you might try one of the "straight" rockets (constant diameter stages, not fat bits) and experiment with the sizing to get it down to the one-page rocket & launch tube like your other blow rockets. For a starter aircraft, there's a flat glider in the lesson booklet and in the "stomp-straw rocket plans plus" file on Jon Leslie's site (misc dowloads at the bottom). Slide 13 (or around page 30 in the book). Try printing it out on card and use the sides of the triangular fuselage beam to attach your "rocket tube" (or build it as is, add straw, and use a second, smaller diameter straw as a launch tube).

Yogi - quick and dirty

Phil
06-22-2009, 06:55 AM
I figure the first stage is the only stage that needs to be sealed so the allowance of detail is endless.

Retired_for_now
06-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Endless detail - until it lands on the pavement ...

Will have some pix later today of an ARES stomp rocket (fuel cost - nil, reload time - fast, safety factor - cool). Will see about updating the plan with Jon to include this - or maybe post the entire thing (launcher + rocket) here. Will need to do some research or bother rickstef about posting ...

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Quick modification to the simple ARES I (LHVCC) and -

Power is 2 liter soda bottle, neck screws/jams into a 3/4" PVC conduit coupling (gray is a little more flexible than white). Launcher is made of 3/4" PVC parts, with an adapter to neck it down to a 1/2" PVC launch tube. That gives you about a 7/8" inch rocket diameter, which is as big as I could go without really goofing up the rocket's proportions.

Yogi

Note from picture - this is an outdoor toy! You can get 100' easy from a simple tube rocket. This one is twice as heavy - so less height. Also needs some stability work. I thought the swell of the skirt at the aft end would help, but not so. Next step is to tweak the aft skirt to add some cut flaps to fold out as fins.

Phil
06-22-2009, 05:12 PM
One hundred feet? I am impressed!
Reminds me of water rockets (circa 1968) fill with some water, pump in some air, launch!

Found this link (http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Toys-that-fly/water-rocket-GB.asp) for water rockets, different design but still neat!

whulsey
06-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow, that is some impressive builds.

Retired_for_now
06-27-2009, 10:39 AM
We're almost up to realtime - easy first set of posts since I was catching up from last Spring. Still piddlin' along.

Drew up a kick motor assembly for the 1:48 Voyager that's posted with Jon Leslie - jparenti did a test build and it seems to work OK. I'll have to update the plans and resend them to Jon (by and by).

Did a few more payloads for the stomp rocket launcher - posted in the downloads section. NASA's shuttle glider works very well (use all four nose weight pieces to balance the internal tube "motor") and is quick and simple enough to build replacements (haven't put one in traffic yet, but it's got the range).

Took a break to do an FG BG (they're having a sale so I bought the DVDs - my bit for economic stimulus). And, it's the photo angle. The wing root fairing actually flows fairly smoothly after I did a little trimming.

Working on a few more stomp rocket payloads for the Independence Day challenge (see Comp/Contest/Challenge forum) ...

And doing preliminary work on the just launched Lunar Recon Orbiter mission in the new moon race (China, India, Japan are all headed that way too). Motivated by Dyna-Soar's build - but it just seems incomplete without the accompanying LCROSS and Centaur upper stage impactors.

And of course - cut the damn grass and sweated off a quick 5 lbs (rehydration and malt/hops replacement in progress) ...

Retired_for_now
06-30-2009, 02:40 PM
As noted in the kit releases section - did up an LCROSS/Centaur lunar impactor to complement the NASA model of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (see Dyna-Soar's thread "LRO"). Scaled everything to 1:48 since I seem to be working there (1:200 for rockets, 1:100 or 96 for space capsules, 1:48 for space probes). LCROSS and Centaur are posted in the downloads section - with a link to NASA's LRO noted (LRO comes at 1:30-ish scale, not marked anywhere).

Any thoughts from the crowd? I'm thinking 1:24 or so would be better for students to handle - 6-10" models rather than 3-5" for the probes.

Yogi - is bigger better?

Zathros
06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Your 12' Can Yak is simply beautiful. It kind of reminds me of the Phil Bolger style boats but looks fairer.

In the download section of this forum are some "Penny Ekranoplans" (Wing in ground effect gliders)that I designed, that can be a lot of fun for children or adults to study ground effect. They fly in ground effect very nicely, I use a yardstick and a rubber band to launch them. Feel free to use them for whatever you wish and they may be modified with whatever logos and designs you wish, if you are interested. I offer these with no strings attached.

Retired_for_now
06-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Z - well, I do have more than one (OK, a lot more than one) book on the shelf full of Bolger's designs. This is hull number 6 or 7 for me (not counting 8-10 little wooden models), more than half of which were Bolger designs from Dynamite Payson's "Instant Boat" series. I love Bolger's Boats With an Open Mind - get it if you don't have it. And if you're building, try Dynamite's site (instantboats.com). They make great model projects too.

The Ekranoplanes should work from the straw (small) or stomp rocket launchers. Launch flat and see how far they go? Thanks - I'll give it a go and post the results. Still trying to get a stable "walkalong glider," getting the CG right is a b****.

Yogi (... not the one)

Yeah, I know you've never heard that before but I've been twitching for days trying to suppress it. Thanks, I feel better now.

Zathros
06-30-2009, 07:12 PM
People love or hate Phil Bolger, I fall into the love category. I will have to look into instantboats.com. I just gave away a 19'2" O'Day Mariner. I needed something smaller and I knew a guy who really wanted it and would give it a good home. My wife qwants me to build an open rowboat with minial sail so we can go out on the lakes. I'm thinking a s doubled ended Sharpie Yawl with a simple rig so she can self tend. Stich and sew method. I was also contemplating a Cat/Yawl with a Gaff rig which would give us more cockpit room but the Sharpie design is top on my list. I may design something myself but "borrowing" some of Bolgers design and making something "different". I have neve4r sailed a boat with lee boards and they don't look as they would perform so well so I will probably making a centerboard setup. I have a small machine shop in my house so making the fittings won't be hard. If by chan e you have any sugestions I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Retired_for_now
06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Z - surf the plans section of the instant boats site. Dynamite has a double ended rowing peapod, numerous sailing designs, and more. All go together quickly and simply from ordinary lumber/plywood. A mix of traditional construction with some f-glass/epoxy where needed. They are designed to be built. Check out the schooners or Gypsy - I think his black skimmer is a classic sharpie.

Either way, the books are well worth it.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
07-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Followed the LCROSS build with a Fiddler's Green LEM - might also do the more complex U-Don version.

Got to thinking about a display - maybe a graphic of the Apollo 17 landing site with a burned out LEM landing stage model center surrounded by some historic probes (Ranger, Luna, Lunar Orbiters, Surveyor?) - either battered landers or semi-cratered impactors. Probably just use a graphic on a board - if I end up doing more than one I don't want to get into sculpting terrain.

Put the new ones on sticks surrounding that - Hiten, Clementine, Lunar Prospector, SMART, Kaguya/Selene, Chang-e, Chandrayaan, LRO/LCROSS.

1:48 Prospector

1:48 Clementine

Whadda ya' think?

Yogi

kenlwest
07-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow Yogi!

That is a really cool collection of satellites and space probes you got there! Very impressive. It's amazing just how many of them there are out there.

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Ken

Retired_for_now
07-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Quick update - had some teachers over to discuss a workshop and followed that with a group build of the simple ARES I (for Kids) - available on the downloads here as part of the ARES stomp rocket. It was ... interesting ...

They weren't quite Chthulhu's Far Side rocket - only just. I think I need a redesign (fudge the scale accuracy as necessary) to allow them to build the solid rocket, second stage, and service module around common dowel and PVC pipe sizes. That way the kids can tightly wrap the parts around the dowel, then tape/glue/paste and end up with a "pretty" part.

Also worked up another couple of Moon missions - should be posted on the downloads.

Ranger Impactor
Lunar Orbiter
HITEN Japanese technology demonstrator

Back to relaxin'
Yogi

Retired_for_now
07-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Finished the first rework of ARES for kids - the SRB, second stage, service module, and escape tower all wrap around common "round things" (1/2" PVC, 3/4" PVC, 1" dowell, and 1/8" dowel/bamboo skewer respectively). Perfect scale it ain't, but I'll take it a little fat if it gets the kids building. Still wondering about the simplest way to connect the interstage conic sections - small end of cone into cylinder is an easy slip fit but a fastening challenge unless they use glue; large end of cone slips over some large "teeth" on the cylinder but is still a fastening challenge.

Any thoughts from the forum on the simplest connections - cylinder to cone? Adhesives are limited to tape (preferred), glue stick, and Elmer's (PVA). Don't even ask me about current school rules and X-acto knives ...

Working an FG Cessna 152 - likely keep piddling along on these since I have a teacher who's wants some airplanes to hang from the classroom ceiling.

And the Moon stuff - 20 July 1969!

Yogi

jparenti
07-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Great work there Yogi. I'm especially happy about Ranger and Lunar Orbiter, which were both absent from my collection until now.
I would say the slip fit is the best (the way the Voyager kick stage truncated cone and cylinder fit together)... it leaves room for slight error and still form a nice tight connection with glue. Tape would look uglier, but could also work with that kind of joint.

Retired_for_now
07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Finished up the FG Cessna 152 - laying out a few more Fiddler's Green products (they make a relaxing change up from space craft).

ARES I classroom project, decided to use tabs on the top of the SRB. To connect you fold them down inside the cylinder before shoving in the interstage cone. That provides enough tension and surface area for a glue stick to adhere. Larger tabs on the top/bottom of the second stage accomplish the same thing and the upper adapter has a gentle enough slope to also work with glue stick.

If you'd like a copy of the simplest ARES (test build/comments appreciated) drop me a note.

Working on four more rocket gardens in response to not-so-subtle hints from the local teachers. Today's lesson - when building one of Ton's superb designs that started at 1:48 scale - going down to 1:200 is a challenge. Mercury Redstone from Delta 7, Atlas from Precision Paper via the wayback machine, and the Gemini Titan is reduced from Ton's 1:96 (which is a reduction of his 1:48 ). 1:200 gives you a "reasonable" classroom sized Saturn V / ARES V-Direct - 22-23". But, Mercury & Gemini come out real small.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
07-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Put together a couple more FG airplanes - Aeronca Champ and F-86. They'll eventually live up by a classroom ceiling, replacing the parachute that is likely blocking the fire sprinklers (hence the request).

Ton's Saturn I is a treat - even at 50% for a 1:200 scale (OK, 1:192 for you pros out there). Even leaving out "invisible" detail at that scale, it still retains a lot more than a straight tube feel. Did the last three using bond paper for the first stage tanks, easier to work and strong enough. I think I'm up to the halfway point if I carry it up to the ARES V/Direct (Vostok/Soyuz/Long March yes, Nova/Buran no).

Next up is Leo's early Vostok design (half size of course, because I'm just not that smart I guess). I'll try it in bond paper first; worked well for the little Mercury/Gemini. Or, maybe I'll do a FG MiG-15 to pair the F-86 for a change up.

Yogi (it'll get done when it's done)

surfduke
08-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Put together a couple more FG airplanes - Aeronca Champ and F-86. They'll eventually live up by a classroom ceiling, replacing the parachute that is likely blocking the fire sprinklers (hence the request).

Ton's Saturn I is a treat - even at 50% for a 1:200 scale (OK, 1:192 for you pros out there). Even leaving out "invisible" detail at that scale, it still retains a lot more than a straight tube feel. Did the last three using bond paper for the first stage tanks, easier to work and strong enough. I think I'm up to the halfway point if I carry it up to the ARES V/Direct (Vostok/Soyuz/Long March yes, Nova/Buran no).

Next up is Leo's early Vostok design (half size of course, because I'm just not that smart I guess). I'll try it in bond paper first; worked well for the little Mercury/Gemini. Or, maybe I'll do a FG MiG-15 to pair the F-86 for a change up.

Yogi (it'll get done when it's done)

Just wanted to add my comments on the great small scale builds you have done. Very clean!

Surfduke
Wishing I was retired for now

Retired_for_now
08-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Surfduke,
Thanks for the encouragement. Still plodding along building the rocket garden(s) ... I need to get some more pictures up. A couple more FG airplanes done (clears the head between rockets); still two Vostoks and a Soyuz to finish to bring me up to Saturn Vs (one complete) and beyond (Shuttle, Long March, ARES/Direct/Shuttle Cargo Pod??). I should have at least one done by mid-month ...

Yogi

surfduke
08-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Surfduke,
Thanks for the encouragement. Still plodding along building the rocket garden(s) ... I need to get some more pictures up. A couple more FG airplanes done (clears the head between rockets); still two Vostoks and a Soyuz to finish to bring me up to Saturn Vs (one complete) and beyond (Shuttle, Long March, ARES/Direct/Shuttle Cargo Pod??). I should have at least one done by mid-month ...

Yogi

Keep Plodding & Posting!

Surfduke

Retired_for_now
08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Finally, more pix for y'all ...

Did up Leo's early Vostok in 1:200, then a few Soyuz all in 20lb bond paper. Big building mistake as the two builds are similar enough to become a grind as they run together (and I absolutely refuse to roll 20 tiny little rocket nozzle cones for each). Had to take a break with some airplanes.

Leo's Vostok/MARS Center Soyuz/Landsbergen (simple)/and Ton's Soyuz (I think I'll just do another simple Landsbergen Soyuz for the fourth set - and two more Vostoks cut out and ready to assemble ...)

Did a FG MiG-15 to pair up with the F-86, then gave Mamecraft's F-35 a go - which required an F-22 (Fiddler's Green) to pair with it.

Finally got to the Saturn V (card stock! Yeah!!). Ton's but just the outer tubes and first stage nozzles.

Had to take another break - so a FG MiG-29.

Yogi (Shuttles - AXM and D-7/FG next, then some Long Marches)

Retired_for_now
08-02-2009, 10:32 AM
FG MiG-29

Retired_for_now
08-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Finished up the first STS (D7/FG Shuttle and Falorni stack from LHVCC) and one Long March (U-Don). So, barring a choice of ARES V / Direct / Cargo Shuttle heavy lifter I have a set of manned launchers at 1:200. Yes, I didn't do a separate Voskhod - at this scale it is just a Vostok with two more guys stacked inside. Also leaves out the Buran and N-1, neither flew manned however.

Next up is a simple base from MDF, sized to fit inside a standard office filing box for storage or transport. Well, actually next up is finishing three more sets (2 Vostok, 3 Saturn V, 3 Shuttle, 3 Long March, 1 ARES I to go ...).

Yogi

APA-168
08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Looks fantastic, quite the collection there! :) Still plugging away at Centaur/Atlas...one of these days soon probably.

Retired_for_now
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
You'll get there Avery. I have control of my schedule for the first time in decades - so can piddle away at whatever I like (provided she who rules the roost hasn't submitted tasking, of course). You're designing (and building) at a much higher level of detail and fidelity than I.

Yogi (one more Vostok done, but easily distracted - see below)

Iteration one for Atomsk:

Retired_for_now
08-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Finished up the base for one rocket garden. It's just a 10x14 piece of 1/2 inch mdf (sized to fit in a standard office file box). Not much extra room so there're no diorama elements - any thoughts on how to add some?

I will be adding a 1:200 school bus to give the kids an immediate feel for the scale (thanks to Jon Leslie for the idea). The "structures" at the sides are handles to lift the display in/out of its storage box. I haven't attached them yet, still considering the visuals.

I passed all the airplane models on to a local school teacher. Did another one for the next delivery - I think (was the movie G-rated?).

Yogi

Wyvern
08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Very interesting material, sir.

My father and I built a Bolger/Payson instant boat, the Gypsy design. It's still serving after 20 years. We've used it under sail and electric power.

Wyvern

Retired_for_now
08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Wyvern,
Built a Gypsy also in '95 - sail only. It was doing fine until Hurricane Ivan in 2004 - sailed across the road and into the woods (storm surge, not wind). A bit beyond its seakeeping abilities.
Gypsy is a beautiful design - straightforward to build with just the right curves.
Yogi

APA-168
08-19-2009, 06:17 PM
My father is currently building a Pete Stevenson design, the Pocket cruiser. But he initially considered some Bolger designs keeps talking about them. I'm also interested in boat building and the Gyspy one of the designs I keep mentally "bookmarked" for future reference. It certainly is a very attractive design and seems to be well liked by builders.

Retired_for_now
08-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Couldn't resist the challenge (and starting to see results of NASA's Commission on Human Space Flight - AKA Augustine Review) so took some time to make up the SpaceX Falcon 9 launcher requested by Atomsk. Posted under real space downloads.

1:100 is a nice scale - unless you've got a Saturn in the display (lower picture is 1:200 scale, printed 4 pages per sheet on plain bond paper). At least, it's easier if you are using a graphics program to draw parts. Using the scale rule, the traditional 1:96 is better.

Yogi (wishing for tiny fingers or a model-maker's elf)

Wyvern
08-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Wyvern,
Built a Gypsy also in '95 - sail only. It was doing fine until Hurricane Ivan in 2004 - sailed across the road and into the woods (storm surge, not wind). A bit beyond its seakeeping abilities.
Gypsy is a beautiful design - straightforward to build with just the right curves.
Yogi

Yogi, I'm sorry to hear about your boat! That bites. I hope Ivan didn't damage any other property of yours.

Wyvern
Jacksonville

Wyvern
08-28-2009, 06:42 AM
My father is currently building a Pete Stevenson design, the Pocket cruiser. But he initially considered some Bolger designs keeps talking about them. I'm also interested in boat building and the Gyspy one of the designs I keep mentally "bookmarked" for future reference. It certainly is a very attractive design and seems to be well liked by builders.

Avery,
the Gypsy is a breeze to build, and Dynamite Payson provides excellent support. Grab yourself a copy of "The New Instant Boats"; it practically walks you through the tack-and-tape construction. Given your skill at reverse-engineering ACW ironclads, it should be an easy build for you. The basic skill requirements for the Payson/Bolger instant boats are time and room to work.

Wyvern

Retired_for_now
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Second Wyvern on getting Dynamite's books (all three should still be available from his website: InstantBoats.com (http://www.instantboats.com/index.html) . I've built the Gypsy, a Windsprint, and the Pointy Skiff - all went together easily and rowed and sailed well. Actually, have built about half his designs in doorskin and veneer sheet (spent 4 years in Tampa with my pool as the only really close water so had to satisfy "she who puts a limit on the size of things floating around the pool or filling the garage").

I'd recomment using heavy card and trying out his designs as 1:12 models. Phil Bolger's book, Boats with an Open Mind is also a good source for designs to model - tables of offsets included with many of the sketch plans.

Hurricane Ivan pretty much took out a van, Harley, garage full of tools, and the structure of the house (didn't quite reach the main floor with all the furniture and "stuff"). On the other hand, we'd planned to rebuild eventually so there was a silver lining for "she who got her new house out of the deal." Also gave me a chance to improve our situation for future storms - built a box significantly higher than the storm surge, filled it with dirt, and built me a house on the hill (OK, dirt pile, but it's all the same to me).

Yogi (on the Bay)

Wyvern
08-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Pensacola Bay? Are you close to Mainside?

Retired_for_now
09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, still working on the rocket gardens. No new rockets, just more of them so I have to pace myself or this will become work. 2 Saturn V, 2 Shuttles, and another Long March to go. I think I'll leave the ARES V corner open and put a different one of the various contenders there (ARES V, Jupiter Direct, Delta with Orion, SpaceX Falcon 9 with Dragon, and Ariane V with the ESA ATV-derived capsule).

Went by the Emerald Coast Science Center (hands on science museum, summer camp, and traveling classroom) to say hi. New director is into astronomy so the Hubble, Kepler, and James Webb space telescopes have a new home (will certainly do more good there than sitting in a box in the garage - where most things go when I finish building). Might be a good home for the rest of the used satellite lot/solar system tour.

So, back to the production line (with the occaisional airplane to keep me fresh).

Yogi

Addendum - you should see a model of the MESSENGER mission to Mercury spacecraft posted at one of the mission sites shortly. They were happy enough with the model but my science graphic for the base became outdated just after the spacecraft's first swing by Mercury (third flyby due on 23 Sept 2009 - http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/index.php ). So, I cribbed their latest science brochure for the graphic - surprise, they were then happy!

Dyna-Soar
09-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm working on your JWST as a gift to the president of the UAHuntsville astronomy club.

Retired_for_now
09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear it -let me know if you see the need for changes (or graphics improvements).

Retired_for_now
09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Just a quick note on the last batch of airplanes - all out on a mission to inspire/excite (I hope).

Teacher(s) were clueless about the Eagle 5 - elementary school kids had to fill them in on "Spaceballs" ( ... never mind).

The airplanes were easier, FG F-15, F-16, SPAD, and C-47.

Also made up two examples of the simple Soyuz "kinderrocket" available from the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center - something the class can make themselves.

Yogi

birder
09-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Those fg models are fun and quick! Nice on them Yogi, my son has the same C-47 hanging from his ceiling for 4-5 years (with a few others):D

Dyna-Soar
09-07-2009, 06:11 PM
My JWST of yours that I built while camping this weekend.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/P1010331.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/P1010332.jpg

Retired_for_now
09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Nicely done! That was fast - while camping? Must be a lot nicer camping setup than I can recall - though a few sheets of paper and some glue wouldn't be that much more in the pack (not sure how well my Buck knife would do on the detailed cuts ...).

Any problems that I need to fix?

Yogi

Dyna-Soar
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
RV camping and there wasn't much else to do since it rained the whole time. I also built the pond racer. ;)

Only problems I found were that you might need some clearer instructions.

Retired_for_now
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Yah, point made on instructions. I need to write up a set and post a revised version rather than just "see NASA." On the list ...

Yogi

Retired_for_now
09-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Slowed the pace down a bit - had to do some carpentry for the Emerald Coast Science Center. Built them a straw rocket launcher for their activities/museum (see downloads, Toys & Automata).

Then the mower don't go ... Too lazy to do the whole yard with the push mower so we'll have to fix it. Dropped the transaxle, cracked it open, and found the bearings frozen on the input shaft. Almost fixed, pending some supplies from NAPA (RTV gasket, locktite, heavy grease - been a while so my stash is either gone or aged out).

So, to relax and get some help around here ...

Then a bit 'o support to put togther a Mariner 10 (first probe to Mercury) kit for a 4th grade class - that why it's a simple design (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it). It did get me a good bus and solar arrays I can use when I get around to crafting a better one to go with the rest of the spacecraft.

Oh, and the MESSENGER Mission to Mercury web site has a new model posted - more detail than the basic box. As always, lots of interesting info there. Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab at For Students (http://www.messenger-education.org/students/student_index.php)

Retired_for_now
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Just passed on the used satellite lot, box-o-moon probes, and a rocket garden - better sitting on someone else's display shelf than in boxes in a hot, humid garage.

Turns out the Pensacola Junior College planetarium is being redone (finally going digital) and they had asked the local IPMS club (Pensacola Modelleers - nice, interesting bunch) if they had any space related items to donate. Fellow AF Association member in the club mentioned the request to me in passing - so the space probes and (some of the) rockets have a new home. I'll post a picture after they finish arranging their displays. They seemed happy - also amazed that the models were paper.

Made sure it has a display graphic: "Build Your Own Space Exploration Fleet" with a short selection of free model websites (NASA/JPL, LHVCC, etc.). Most of the planetarium show traffic is kids in school groups so, maybe we add to both the engineering and modeling population. Also the reason to push free sites - school teachers never seem to have any money for these activities.

Next up - a question. They'd really like an ISS model to hang in the entry (big, high open space). I'm wondering how to create a visually effective ISS light enough to safely hang, big enough to be seen hanging 10'/3m above the floor (1:24 or 1:12 scale?), and simple enough that it can be duplicated by a school class (or maybe built by several classes in cooperation?).

Any thoughts?

Yogi - (not quite an "empty workbencher" yet ...)

stephen.irl
09-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi Yogi,

What a great idea. Very generous of you. Sorry, I won't be much help with your ISS project but couldn't pass without commenting on your work. They all look amazing, worthy of display even in some of the best space attraction venues. I was in Florida last year and went to Kennedy (best part of my trip). I was amazed standing in their Rocket garden and I feel the same way looking at yours. The base of your rocket garden is a particularly nice touch. Looks brilliant! And think of it this way. Now you'll have plenty of room to build more of your fine models.

Keep up the good work

Retired_for_now
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks Stephen - I'm piddling with the ISS. Did an enlargement of some pieces from MARS Center's ISS to work on a 4" dia section. Either wrap PVC (costly and still a bit heavy - but would support itself) or sections cut from 2-liter soda bottles (can screw sections together maybe, not too robust, but maybe cheap enough for a school project). Still thinking. Will likely go talk to Billy at the Planetarium (and drop off a Hubble and JWST).

Yogi

Wyvern
09-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Impressive collections, Yogi.

Retired_for_now
09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks Wyvern - though my collection swells and shrinks as I find them homes (making sure "she who will not dust such things" stays happy).

Going to talk to the PJC Planetarium folks next week - pitch them a 1:40 scale ISS. Why that scale you ask - I'll explain in the design and build thread if the PJC folks are still interested in a model to hang in the entry lobby.

test articles in 4", 4.5" bore (60lb card) and half-sized 1:80 scale half-truss/node (bond paper)
As always, I'm not proud. I'd love to collaborate with anyone having an interest in doing some repainting to add detail and fidelity.

Yogi (back to the game)

Retired_for_now
09-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Planetarium would like an ISS (ceiling hanger). So ... off we go.

Alphonso's ISS would be spectacular - but I'm not willing to build that much detail and precision for something that's 15 feet in the air. So, to the NASA site to work up something with "desk model" detail. Also, big enough to be seen at a little distance.

I'll start a thread on it shortly.

Yogi

Initial cabinet display - they'll rearrange to suit current activities.

Retired_for_now
10-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Dropped by the planetarium yesterday to figure out where to position the hardware to hang the Int'l Space Station. Looks like a pulley in the middle of the 30-40 foot ceiling and one on the wall to turn the line down to the tie off point - good thing I got 100 ft of rope. Model is done except for fiddling (dropped off at the site - it's danged awkward to transport and that also ends the fiddling so I can do something else).

In addition to the rocket garden and solar system tour set I build another Hubble (Ton's intermediate) and James Webb Space Telescope (downloads, here) for the planetarium.

Pretty well filled up their display cases - and it's getting them some good interest as students pass by. Next week we should hang the ISS, actually looks like we'll make it before they re-open on 26 Oct.

Winding down a bit (fix lawn pump, scrub mildew from porch pillars and ceiling, etc.) - so I built a quick model of ESA's COROT space telescope (1:48 scale). COROT has 7 exo-planet finds, including a rocky planet just twice the size of the Earth (no word on Vulcans or Klingons yet ...). I'll drop it off at the planetarium to join the other telescopes.

And, so it goes.

Yogi

Ashrunner
10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Excellent display of models, Yogi. Combined with the ISS, should bring on a lot of interest.

Retired_for_now
10-18-2009, 05:30 PM
So, filling in the time (cold and windy today, well, cold and windy for Florida anyway). Working my way through various downloaded and printed space telescopes to add to the Planetarium display.

Spitzer IR at 1:48 (half original size) from Spitzer Models (http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/features/modelsindex.shtml)

Straightforward build - boxes, cylinders, and conics. Parts fit was very good. No modifications or additions needed for this one. (note - my cutting mat marked with one inch squares)

Next up the SWIFT Gamma Ray 'scope. Then I guess I need to work through the other great observatories (Chandra, Compton), another Kepler (IR replacement/improvement for Spitzer), and work up some other recently launched eyeballs (Plank, etc.).

Yogi

Clashster
10-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Looks great! Very cool!

Retired_for_now
10-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Ashrunner, Clashster, plugging along.

Just did the SWIFT gamma-ray telescope http://nasascience.nasa.gov/kids/the-universe/universe-spacecraft-paper-models . Simple model with fairly simple graphics. Changed the build in a few spots where the model/activity had tab-and-slot construction. Makes a nice display though - spent as much time pulling together the display/graphics as I did on the model ...

Model is a combined effort from the Public Outreach and Education sede di Merate, Osservatorio Astronomico di Brera, in Italy and the NASA Education and Public Outreach group at Sonoma State University, California, USA. It went up in 2004 and replaced the Compton satellite that was de-orbited in 2000 after a 9-year mission. SWIFT detects and quickly locates gamma-ray bursts, the most powerful explosions known. It then observes, and cues others to observe, the explosion and its afterglow in a variety of wavelengths. In April of 2009 SWIFT and an international team of astronomers found a gamma-ray burst from a star that died when the universe was only 630 million years old, or less than five percent of its present age. The event, dubbed GRB 090423, is the most distant cosmic explosion ever seen.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Finished up a quick build of NASA's Chandra X-ray telescope - dropped off at the Planetarium today when I did the ISS install.

Took a bit longer than I figured for the ISS installation - the assembly ran a little long but the rigging took the bulk of the time. The staff will be taking down most of the stars - kinda crowded up there now.

Good thing I brought 100 feet of rope - it really is a 40 foot ceiling!

Yogi (nap time!)

Retired_for_now
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
PJC Planetarium re-opened for business today. Dropped off a couple more items to complete the current operational constellation at Venus (OK, Venus Express is the only one operating there, now - but the collection so far is way too heavy on US space probes, I need to design/build some more international probes from the Soviet/Russians, ESA, China, and India).

Also did another Kepler - NASA model with added detail on the bus. I filled out the equipment boxes, antennae, and momentum wheels.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
10-26-2009, 03:58 PM
And - the major insanity here. ISS display with the original crowd of stars pruned and (inflatable) planets added.

Any builders near a planetarium should be able to find a ready spot to display real-space (and Sci-Fi!) models. Give it a try.

Lots of excited viewers!

Yogi

peter taft
10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Yogi.... you got some "excited viewers" here too - brilliant display :)

Retired_for_now
10-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks Peter - it gives me a focus and direction for the projects, keeps my shelves from filling up, and seems to be appreciated by the recipients and spectators.

Got a bit overexcited watching millenniumfalsehood work up his Borg cube and stephen.irl make really tiny models over on the alternate realities forum ...

Eric's Enterprise D
A Borg tactical cube skinned with Drex's graphics
And Q

Straightforward build other than allowing for quantum effects and the compactified string dimensions at this scale ...

Yogi (with a new appreciation for the braille-scale impressarios)

willygoat
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
I love your collection at the planetarium! Very nice. I working on getting something similar going at my museum here. I love the school bus rocket hanging up by the ISS :D

Retired_for_now
10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks Brett. The bus idea I got from Jon Leslie at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center. I build one to the same scale as the displayed models to give perspective - everyone knows how big a school bus is (bus is scaled from papertoys.com). Another thought, you can get your classes involved in making the models. The 4-foot ISS model has individual modules and truss sections with only 3 pieces for each. One part per student would get most of it done fast and then they could work on station assembly as well.

Just did some research - I think the micro Enterprise is 1:31,000 scale (but I could be wrong, lots of zeros converting 2108 feet to .8 inches).

Yogi

Retired_for_now
10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Finished out the Great Observatories models (from Hubble site or NASA). Hubble (optical), Sptizer (IR), and Chandra (X-ray) now joined by Compton (Gamma-ray). Compton came down in 2000 and has been replaced by SWIFT, but I though I ought to complete the set for the planetarium.

Added in the Mars Express from Europe/ESA to bulk up the Mars constellation - I still need a Mars Observer (assuming it doesn't glitch up again). Looking for anyone who's done a workup on the Phobos/Grunt mission to the Martian moon as well ???

Enlarged and cobbled together Ton's ESA ATV automated transfer vehicle for ISS resupply to add to the parking lot around the ISS display as well.

Yogi

PEB
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm very fascinated by your satellite models! And I must say I'm impressed by the speed with which you build these little masterpieces!
I use www.heavens-above.com (http://www.heavens-above.com/) extensively, and I've shown pictures of some of your builds to my wife, so she could get an idea what the little shiny dots moving around up there could look like.

Retired_for_now
10-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks Peter - most of the NASA/ESA spacecraft models run very few pages and are simple boxes/prisms and cylinders. I usually spend as much time on the display info and pictures as I do on the spacecraft. I'll also spend a little time adding some detail for significant instruments (or propulsion - ion engines - on the DAWN mission to asteroids Ceres and Vesta that's in progress).

Yogi

Retired_for_now
10-31-2009, 08:14 AM
NASA's model of the DAWN mission to asteroids Ceres and Vesta is a good example of just how simple their basic models are. It also shows off their graphics, which provide a good base and guide for adding important details. One of many download locations Get Involved (http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/getInvolved/ye.asp)

Basic information graphic and display. Solar arrays are stiffened and mounted with an embedded piece of safety wire.

Basic graphics of the ion engines are filled out with squat paper cylinders topped with a disk. This is the key innovation for this mission - no fuel (energy source and reaction mass in one) required - the satellite carries reaction mass and uses solar power for energy to expel the mass.

Details added for HGA (secondary reflector and low gain antenna); momentum wheels (fat, blue disks); low gain antenna (black whip); star trackers (black cones); cameras (long gold cylinders); and neutron/ion detector (white box). Details came from using the flat graphics printed on the model as a guide along with a little research at the NASA mission web site.

Yogi

B-Manic
10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice build Yogi - sometimes simple is elegant.

Retired_for_now
11-01-2009, 09:24 AM
And then there's elegant ...

One cylinder, one disk, two shallow cones, a base band and four detail parts (augmented to add more 3-D detail). Building half-size to maintain the 1:48 scale of the previous probes added a tiny bit of challenge.

The Giotto rendezvous with Comet Halley (along with Vega 1 and 2 from the USSR as well as Sakigaki and Suisei from Japan) in 1986 was momentous. The lack of popular interest and excitement still puzzles me. Maybe a backlash to Halley's less-than-spectacular display.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
11-02-2009, 07:13 PM
One more for the planetarium - Deep Space One. Its 1998-2001 mission was essentially a technology demonstration. Most significantly, it demonstrated long-term reliability with its ion engine, validated the engine's performance with multiple rendezvous with an asteroid and a comet, and proved its capability for autonomous navigation. Given an objective, the spacecraft calculated its trajectory, used its ion engine to achieve that trajectory, then located and homed in on its target using onboard sensors and computers.

Ton's Deep Space One design reduced to 1:48 scale

The spacecraft remains in a solar orbit with 10% of its reaction mass remaining and its radio turned on awaiting future orders ...

Yogi

Retired_for_now
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Dropped off the ATV, Mars Express, Compton, Giotto, Dawn and Deep Space One at the Planetarium. Also working on a 1:48 scale reduced version of JPL's Stardust spacecraft (collected material from Comet Wild 2 and returned it to Earth for analysis).

Director expressed a desire for a model of IBEX (Interstellar Boundary Explorer satellite) to use as a visual aid for one of their programs. It's a small satellite (about a meter across) that uses two detectors to look at interactions between the Sun's heliosphere and the interstellar medium to answer some of the questions raised by the Voyager spacecraft as they fly off to infinity.

Couldn't find a model of IBEX, but dug up enough info for a new design (just an octagonal box and some detail bits). My drawing canvas is a bit limited, but I did get it up to a 1:8 scale for the "visual aid" - and added a 1:48 reduction to go with the rest of the models at the planetarium. The IBEX was launched on a Pegasus booster - so added Ton's excellent model in 1:48 to the build.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Added some figures for scale - made a few to scatter among the 1:48 scale spaceprobes on display (and a couple of tiny ones at 1:200 to go along with the school bus in the rocket garden).

Yogi

Wyvern
11-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I like the one in the middle.

Wyvern

Retired_for_now
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Sure Wyvern; I knew you would.

Took a short break (including a quick weekend to southwest Virginia to visit family) and did another little model (about 1:15,000 scale this time). I blame the braille-scale conspiracy for leading me astray!

Yogi

Wyvern
11-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Awesome battlestar, Yogi!

Wyvern

airdave
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
just read through this entire thread...and I must say, quite an enjoyable read!...amazing models and display!

xavs
11-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Is realy amazing your building abilities, I realy hope some day, to be able of building something smaller than my fingers.

Retired_for_now
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Wyvern, Dave, Xavs - thanks for the kind words and feedback. I guess I like variety to keep things fresh in both the scale and the subject matter. I'm a fair builder and novice designer ... but watching the build threads here and seeing the precision as I build one of Ton's designs (or Jay's BSG) keeps me grounded.

Problem is, I only have homes for airplanes and aerospace right now and "she who keeps this place clean" would rather not see too many more dust catchers around (unless they are penguins, of course). Might be time to build another flightless Antarctic waterfowl ...

Yogi

Retired_for_now
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Had this one printed for some time - so went ahead and finished it. It's always refreshing to build something from one of the pros - graphics, alignment, parts fit, detail, and fidelity already done beautifully (unlike my efforts).

Ton's 1:48 X-43 HyperX on the nose of a Pegasus first stage. This one will probably end up a ceiling hanger in a classroom - not sure it's relevant for the planetarium.

Yogi

SAustin16
11-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Man Yogi! Very nice clean build of the Hyper-X.

I like your 1:15000 model also...don't know how you build at that scale. If I tried that it would come out as a round ball of glue. LOL

Retired_for_now
11-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Yogi

jparenti
11-28-2009, 07:08 PM
:D
I don't believe I've ever seen that model before. Where did you find that?

Retired_for_now
11-28-2009, 08:49 PM
J - another original done with my low-tech 2-D CAD/pencil. I'm still working on the control console but I can post what I have if there's interest (no directions on this one, just parts and pictures - not exactly an Academy Award nominated subject). Check thread on the other builds for more.
The BSG is just Jay's printed at 16 pages per sheet on plain paper followed by lots of squinting and tweezing.

Yogi

Gideon
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM
That's pretty sweet! Can the robot be articulated?

Wyvern
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Very clever, Yogi!

Wyvern

Retired_for_now
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks Wyvern.

Gideon - check the other builds for more info. The joints are cylinders glued to the ends of the arm sections in this version. You could articulate the joints by rolling the joint cylinders, then cutting them in half at the line to make two shorter cylinders. Glue those to the ends of the arms sections. Then:
1. cap the bottom of the lower cylinder section with a disk of card,
2. roll another smaller cylinder (axle) to fit inside the arm joints - make sure it's tall enough to extend about 1mm past the top edge of the upper joint,
3. slip the upper joint over the inner cylinder and glue another disk to the top of the axle (take care not to get glue on the outer joint) to retain the assembly.

The wrist joint would be a little more complex, glue a cylinder to the bent arm section to make an axle/pin, insert pint into a hole in the end of the angled arm piece, then cap with a disk of card to lock the joint in place.

The articulation of the tool assembly would just require a series of axles for the two major joints and a cylinder slipped over the existing mounting part for the final joint.

The flat part holding the tools could also be made to slide in and out, add a saddle of card to slip under the main part.

I didn't make the joints movable - just too many of them for a desk model, it would be like spaghetti.

Yogi

jparenti
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I will definitely suggest posting it if you can, Yogi. I would like to give it a shot, just because it's unusual and would fit in with some of the more esoteric models on my desk (an orange Flight Data Recorder and a traffic cone, for two examples).

Retired_for_now
12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
I'll clean it up and label the parts a bit better ... may take a few days. Busy with some volunteer work and a cleanup and repaint (USAF) of Paragon's CV-22 - popular item with the local teachers for some reason. I'll eventually pass a copy back to the designer for his thoughts.

Yogi

Pattern for the daVinci medical robot is posted in the Toys & Automata section of the downloads (seemed the best category ...?) Yogi

Retired_for_now
12-11-2009, 10:05 AM
WISE should launch this month. The Wide-field Infra-red Survey Explorer is a hydrogen-ice cooled, mega-pixel, four-channel infra-red, 40cm (16in) telescope. It will scan the entire sky in infrared light, picking up the glow of hundreds of millions of objects and producing millions of images. The mission will uncover objects never seen before, including the coolest stars, the universe’s most luminous galaxies and some of the darkest near-Earth asteroids and comets.

The mission site WISE: Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (http://wise.ssl.berkeley.edu/sb/index.html) has a model on the education & outreach page. Did you check it? Done laughing? WISE-in-a-box is not quite right, their WISE is a box. It seems to be a trend as they've done something similar with the Mars and Mercury probes - can't be budget cuts as the models are all volunteer efforts.

Anyway - the box just doesn't cut it for me so:

Revising to fix some fit issues and work out a simpler strut and bracket system. Rolling the little tubes doesn't excite me so the final result may be flat-glue-to-cardstock parts.

I'll work up a design/build thread shortly.

Yogi

jagolden01
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Yogi, keep the tubes!

APA-168
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Beautiful work! Would love to build this one and display it with the Delta II kit I have somewhere on my harddrive...

Retired_for_now
12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Yah Joe, looking at it I see your point. I'll probably leave both options on the sheet.

Avery, I can post the plans as is, but I haven't even started working on directions. Not sure how the solar array folds for launch - the posted pictures don't seem to show any evidence of hinges (may rotate?).

Yogi

Note - picture of satellite upload into the shroud shows it launches as it flies - no folding apparent.

jparenti
12-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I would definitely suggest leaving the tubes as an option as well. Despite my clumsy fingers, I will most likely roll the tubes when I build it myself.
And thank you so much for posting the daVinci robot. I'm hoping to get my schedule cleared in the next few days to attempt it. I'm looking at doing some (limited) articulation of the arms, too, so I'll post pics when I get there.

Retired_for_now
12-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Still working on a repaint of Paragon's MV-22 to the CV-22 configuration. Pencil in hand, it's taking a while (and lot's of prototypes - more for the classroom ceiling I guess).

Most of the work is on the nose detail bits (radome, AR probe, etc.). Obviously the part where CAD would be most useful - ah well, it's a hobby right?

Yogi

Retired_for_now
12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Got a copy of the MQ-1 Predator (Paper Replika), but that seems to be about it for the UAV fleet. So, trying to fill a few more gaps with:

The GLOBAL HAKO (I mean Hawk). It's so danged square it just didn't seem worth the effort to work out a bunch of tubes, conics, and domes. 1:100 scale fit check article pictured, RQ-4 block 20. Now it's back to the screen for a couple of tweaks, paint and a few details (I think I can handle all six parts).

Yogi

SEBRET
12-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I built the Predator from Replika and I was thoroughly impressed. I kinda like that Global Hawk.

jparenti
12-23-2009, 06:41 AM
I apologize for moving off the subject for a moment:
I thought of this again when I saw your WISE model for some reason. In case you ever come to a point where you're wondering which other space probes to model, you should consider COBE, the Cosmic Background Explorer. A very interesting craft, and one that marked an important turning point in science: the beginnings of cosmology as real-world experiment instead of simple conjecture.
I have never yet seen a model of it, and it seems like the kind of conversation piece needed when you want to explain science's successes. It's certainly one of the most famous!
Carry on! :D

Retired_for_now
12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Not off subject J - this thread is kind of a catch-all for my projects, comments on same, requests, future directions, etc. Nothing is off-limits (after 28 years in tac airlift and SOF I've a pretty thick hide).

As a matter of fact, I already have a directory set up with a few random photos and notes on COBE. Much more work to do (like finishing the Indian and Chinese moon probes). WISE was a target of opportunity since I actually noticed it before it launched - and the WISE-is-a-box model was a pretty good start, basically a six-view scaled drawing. Just forwarded the instructions/kit to Berkeley to see if they want to offer it along side the box model (like the MESSENGER site).

Yogi

Retired_for_now
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Working on a few new projects - interspersed with production for the next teacher workshop. So far, I figure I'll use various Hako robots (and the Silent Running crew) and UAVs, maybe a few spacecraft (NASA guy is coming around again so I'll see what he can use).

Meanwhile - I've done the last couple of projects at 1:24; easier design and build but most of what I've donated to the Planetarium is 1:48. So, back we go for some 50% prints.

So far:
Mariner 10 "First to Mercury" at 1:48

I added some additional detail that's not on the Mariner 10 uploaded here. That's the next project - to revise the simple Mariner 10 to include the rest of its instrument package and improve the structural detail on the HGA, solar panels, and magnetometer brackets.

Yogi

And WISE downsized to 1-48 for the display.

Retired_for_now
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Continuing to flesh out significant space probes that are not available (popular?). This is the plain paper test article to check the graphics and to look for any fit issues. Just a few sample parts (one of each "type"). So far, so good.

And the spacecraft is __________________________?

Yogi (wind chill is 14 F/ -8 C, time to huddle indoors in Florida/Lower Alabama)

jparenti
01-05-2010, 03:40 AM
To me it looks like WMAP, the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe. Hopefully I am right, because that's one of my favorites. :)

sf4ever
01-05-2010, 05:46 AM
I think so, too, that that's WMAP. But in my opinion this question is a little bit too easy. ;)

Retired_for_now
01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
You guys are good! I didn't figure a partial would be that easy to get: shade, half a feed-horn array, and a bit of one bay on the bus and you got it. If it was easy, I'll take that as a design compliment.

1:48 scale

The WMAP satellite is hovering at the Earth-Sun L2 libration point (outside Earth's orbit) observing the cosmic microwave background (CMB). The microwave signal, discovered in 1965, is the remnant of the "first light" of the universe. It dates from a time when matter condensed from the initial particle "soup," allowing light to travel freely for the first time. The existence of the CMB is strong evidence for a hot, dense origin of the universe and it's subsequent expansion. WMAP will look at the intensity, spectrum and polarization of the CMB to allow competing theories of creation (Big Bang, higher-dimensional brane collisions, multiple episodes of vacuum inflation, etc.) to be evaluated.

Instructions not even started yet, but if you want to try a puzzle PM me an email address.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
01-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Not sure where this one is going ... but I finally made a (mostly) portable ISS. Used the 4-foot smaller ISS patterns printed at 50% (actually, 4 per page w/ Adobe). Armature down the spine is a paper tube wrapped around a 5/16 inch dowel. Truss has no armature - the boxes are plenty strong but it did sag a bit due to flexing of the end caps/glue tabs on the end of each section. Had to install a banjo line between the tops of the outer solar arrays to pull the truss straight.

It knocks down for travel - truss is set loosely on a pin and platform mounted to the main spine modules; solar panels and radiators are pin and socket connections; extra Soyuz/modules/etc. extending above and below the main spine are mounted into slip rings and can be slid out.

The end result is at 1:165 scale - that just happens to match the scale of the FG/D7 space shuttle so there is no excuse to not do that one as well (dang!). Had to modify the cargo bay, add a box and a docking tube to make it work but it plugs in to the PMA dock on the "front" of the ISS.

Yogi (I think that's all I've been up to)

Retired_for_now
02-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I was never there, you can't prove a thing, I don't even know your sister, and it must have been someone that looks like me.

Anyway ... just to keep the (b)log current.

Projects that were passed on at the Air Force Association Teacher Workshop:

FG Wind Turbine (model door prize plus link to FG provided on take-away CD)

Global Hawk and Predator (about 6-8 of each - table center pieces to carry away)

The USAF CV-22 (passed on two big ones, but I kept the little one).

And another rocket garden.

Retired_for_now
02-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I still have the two-foot ISS; making a visit to a prospective home next week. Given the scale, it's feasible to make a more complete display of space habitats. Also, since the Russians (gotta' love 'em) never throw anything away, the ISS Zvezda and Zarya modules are just modified Salyut and Mir components.

A little graphic editting and Zvezda devolves to:

Skylab is a bit more work. However, the ever helpful brain trust has gotten me to here:

with a bit of graphics work yet to do.

Mir remains on the to-do list, lot's of editting and repainting of the Zarya modules to make Crystal, etc.

The future may be here:

Small, light package that inflates to a Skylab sized habitat (22 by 45 feet). Bigelow Aerospace has already launched two subscale prototypes successfully with the big one scheduled for 2012. Big rooms that don't require heavy lift - a couple of these, several fuel tanks, a reactor, and a VASIMIR powerplant and we're cruising the solar system in style.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
And ... I think I'm caught back up on the downloads. Both Global Hawks are up, the simple predator is loaded, and the Salyut, Skylab, and Bigelow space stations are in.

Anybody working on the set yet (Salyut, Skylab, Mir, ISS)? Looking forward to seeing pix.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Finished up the basic Mir structure to complete the set of human space stations (you just can't get good info for the Gray Aliens' station - but I'm sure somebody on the net has pictures of their Moon base before LCROSS bombed it ...).

Still some revising to do on Mir, but this set should do for an initial display. I'll work up a second for the Planetarium (Salyut, Skylab, Mir, ISS-spine only) after I get the revisions done and rest up a bit. Too much of the same thing and it starts to be work!

Working up something else for the Planetarium to go with another of their shows ...

Yogi

birder
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Yogi I love your space projects, they are very cool. I suppose we have most all of us launched estes rockets, I attached a fg shuttle to a rocket and attemped to launch it , actually did launch it, but the flight path was erratic and heavily weighted to the side of the shuttle (big surprise there) fortunately no-one was any the worse for it and the kids thought it was way cool:D I think it could work if a shuttle model was placed on each side on a largeish rocket, although I haven't the guts(?) to try it.....

Retired_for_now
03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks Glen. And, if you build the shuttle from here: NASA - Space Shuttle Glider (http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/topnav/materials/listbytype/Space.Shuttle.Glider.html) then stick a 1/2 inch stomp rocket tube in the back end - it flies real good ... no external tank or solids though.

And the motors are cheap too - stomp rocket posted about 5-6 pages deep in the real space section.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
03-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Well, Jon got me off on a tangent again. Worked up the Viking Lander (Orbiter still in progress) to fill a request for a school project. I can't very well refuse, as that is my excuse - sorry, reason - for enjoying this hobby.

Did Math 'til mid-night for a class of fifth graders yesterday - Viking Lander prototype has a home, as do the Soyuz "Kinder-Rockets" we constructed (available at Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center for download). I had them work in teams to speed things up - one page per student. We rolled cylinders and cones, scored, cut and folded, and taped and glued. Seemed to work out - note for future: it takes a full hour to get the rocket built, even working in teams of two; take more round-things to roll cylinders with and get them a tiny bit undersize (little hands don't roll paper very tightly).

Since the topic was math and not just Aero-gami; we passed around the Earth and talked about the relative sizes of the Moon and Mars - double the "size" and you get four times the area and eight times the volume/mass.

Next time (they and the teacher/parents seemed happy so there might be a next time) we build little gliders!

Yogi

Txflyer9
03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
I consider wood ( aka, pre-paper ) a perfect modeling medium. In fact I generally mix the two. Thus I get a better model and irritate the purists, so its win/win.

umtutsut
03-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Yogi, I marvel at your skill in designing. You ARE gonna release that Viking lander, right????

Les (FRiendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

Retired_for_now
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks Les.

Lander and orbiter will be passed to Lower Hudson Valley - still needs instructions and some tweaks to the orbiter (upper shroud sizing, build-ability of the bioshield/aeroshell, ...

I think this is why I build spacecraft at 1:48.

Added some bamboo slivers (split a BBQ skewer) for solar panel stiffeners.

Going to be a busy week.

Yogi

Ashrunner
03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Nice work, Yogi.

It looks great.

jparenti
03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
That looks great. It's nice to see Viking in paper. I was afraid I'd never see the day. :D

Retired_for_now
03-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys.

Next up (but more slowly).

Yogi

jparenti
03-09-2010, 02:02 AM
If that's what I think it is, I want in. :D
I have a lot of reference materials, but I was never able to really make it work. I put most of what I have here in case there's anything useful.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://pbckt.com/sf.RIM)

Most of it may be useless chaff, but for some of those odd angles, it's helpful (to me) to see a lot of pics. I was never able to find actual blueprints, which is a shame. I actually attempted to build it in sections so I could take it apart for demonstrations (science platform, outer shell, aeroshell and backshell, etc). That was probably a little too much to start with. :)

Retired_for_now
03-10-2010, 06:47 AM

Yogi

umtutsut
03-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Can't wait! I gotta figger out how to make those orange ice rocks and bolders on the surface! :p

:cool: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

Retired_for_now
03-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks Les,
It irks me that you can find Cassini but not the most significant piece of that mission - the most distant human made object that successfully landed on, and operated from, the surface of another celestial body.

Still fiddling with some graphics - Oh, and I need to write instructions for the last 5 projects as well ...

Yogi

Retired_for_now
03-13-2010, 11:59 AM
This is about enough work on the Huygens - now to buckle down and write some directions. There are a couple of copies out to enthusiasts/experts/skilled modellers - their feedback and comments (and the instructions) should help me get this one ready to post.

As is, you can build it simple with about 10 parts (something the kids can "soft land" in the sandbox) or just keep adding bits until you're satisfied.

Yogi

Yale
03-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm new here, and am enjoying the great exchange of ideas. It was good to learn of your involvement with schoolkids, as I'd speculated along those lines -- and definitely will check out your stomp rockets.

The cats at my house are not compatible with the health and well-being of paper models. So while I can admire the skill and patience of other forum members, it's not likely that I'll ever be able to try any model that's sophisticated. Nevertheless, I enjoy giving simple animal models to small children during my many hours at the library -- and wonder about some group activity there for grade-school kids this summer.

So there I was -- retired -- with plenty of time to devote to noble political causes like reuniting Gondwanaland. And then I stumbled upon paper models ....

Yale
Texas City, Texas

PS -- If any members of this forum should be in Galveston, be sure to visit the Lone Star Flight Museum. It's a wonderful resource for all aviation enthusiasts, not just modelers. And for just a few hundred dollars, the nice folks there will give you a ride in a Stearman, a T-6, a B-25, or a B-17.

Retired_for_now
03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Yale,
Your local teachers will likely trample each other to get to you if you donate some space/aviation models for use in the class room. If you have the time/inclination to run a workshop, Lower Hudson Valley has several kid-friendly projects. I'd recommend keeping it to things you can cut out with scissors and secure with tape or a glue stick. Folding and rolling cylinders and cones are the basic skills.
Yogi (Rodinia forever!)

Retired_for_now
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
The Viking prototypes are school classroom ceiling-hangers - but I figured I needed to do one for the Planetarium to complement the Phoenix Lander and Mars Rover. Of course, Phoenix was built at 1:12 scale to get close to the Rover's 1:15 scale - so Viking needed to grow.

A bit of work on needed detail and fixes to fit problems (twice as big made them noticeable) and here you go.

Drop Viking and Huygens off on Friday when I do some ISS maintenance. I'll post some durability comments when I get done there.

Yogi

jparenti
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Very nice! I can't wait to get started on it. All the various landers have always been fascinating to me, and Viking has always been conspicuously absent from paper modeling.

Retired_for_now
03-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Viking should be up at Lower Hudson Valley by now. I will get them uploaded here as well shortly along with Huygens.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
03-18-2010, 05:52 PM
And a quickie for the Planetarium - 1:12 scale so it's close but not quite a match for Erik's 1:15 rover. Could enlarge the scale, but the Phoenix and Viking landers are 1:12, so ...

Yogi

Retired_for_now
03-20-2010, 10:36 AM
And for all of us who like to build, but don't have a lot of display room (lots of books already fill the shelves and then there's she who does not dust such things) I offer a solution.

current set of displays

Got to be a school, library, or other organization in your area that could use a display of your models in their work. It also works the models hard - these get a lot of looks every day - and even more when the lobby fills before a planetarium show. IPMS it ain't, but then I don't think I'd place well at a show anyway.

Yogi (functional and recognizable, but not artistic)

Retired_for_now
04-07-2010, 07:22 PM
So to consolidate, update, summarize and blather. Actually had some half-way busy weeks. Launched straw rockets with a class at the Pensacola Adult High School, got through the initial workup on Phobos-Grunt (separate thread in the design section).

Final updates, build, and posting to follow. Built "something completely different" for "she who is helping to write, learning lines for, etc. a new play." An old house in New Orleans appears to be an important element so:

Two from Ray Keim's ghost houses and an FG Emerson House, plus an FG Homestead.

Then, we're coming up on Yuri's Night (12 April 1961 - first human in orbit). The Pensacola Junior College Planetarium is having a function Friday night - 9 April so I thought I'd make them a presento ...

It's Leo's Vostok-1 in 1:62 ping-pong ball scale (I really don't like making spheres). Well designed kit that goes together very fast (especially when using said PPB). I did use a silver Sharpie - but that doesn't really count as painting, does it? Call it very mixed media. Assuming some handling, I only did a few of the antennae.

Yogi (looking forward to next week's installment of NOVA)

jparenti
04-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Phobos-Grunt looks great! I've been on a Mars kick lately, too, so I've been in the middle of bouncing between the Viking lander and everything else I've been building -- I like to run about five models at once. :)
I don't blame you for using a ping pong ball. That's what I'm going to do as well. I've built that sphere a couple of times for two Venus lander scratchbuilds, though, and it looks beautiful, but it takes me a few days to get through it with something that ends up spherical.

Retired_for_now
04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
So, I found some graphics for scale and added a few more antennae (what 'ya gonna do?). It goes to a good home tonight.

Yogi

scarmig
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
And for all of us who like to build, but don't have a lot of display room (lots of books already fill the shelves and then there's she who does not dust such things) I offer a solution.

Got to be a school, library, or other organization in your area that could use a display of your models in their work. It also works the models hard - these get a lot of looks every day - and even more when the lobby fills before a planetarium show. IPMS it ain't, but then I don't think I'd place well at a show anyway.

Yogi (functional and recognizable, but not artistic)

That is an excellent idea. Thank you.

bagpiper
04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey Yogi. Would you be so kind as to tell me what paper weight you used to build the complex model of the Cassini please? This is my first model and it is nice to see the finished model here. Did you do overlapping joints with the dishes or did you butt joint them? After doing a butt joint on the high gain antenna (HGA) I decided I don't like them. lol Makes the card way too bulky and awkward. I am in the process of learning to butt joint now on my first model. lol

Thanks for your help.
Jim

JPL's complex Cassini model was sort of complex - but not in terms of detail. Fortunately, there's plenty of information available to add instrument and other detail (so I did). Filled out the flat panels that should have been boxes, extended the magnetometer boom to full length, did 3-D for the tanks, and of course filled out the instruments.

Guynemer
04-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Nice work! The Piper Cub looks great in particular!

Retired_for_now
04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks, G.

Jim,
I did the complex NASA model of Cassini in 65lb card (often called cover stock). Card stock, 110# should work as well but is tough on my printer. I used the tabs designed in the plans, so the dish antenna and cylinders overlap at the seam. When assembling cylinders and long conics, I use a "round thing" inside as a mandrel to give me something to work against and keep the seams aligned. Once the glue tacks, I use a stiff metal rod like a rolling pin to squash the seam against the mandrel to make the seam less obvious.
The key to making conics, or cylinders, is to preform the part. For a cylinder you just roll it carefully around a mandrel (round thing like dowels, PVC pipe, whatever's in the garage) - taking care not to crease the card. For conics, set them on the palm of you hand and roll a narrow dowel gently around the part, keeping it pointed at the "center" of the curve. It's easier than it sounds, try a few strips of card and watch them magically form the curve.
I think I included some better building detail in the Venus Magellan build thread here http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/3743-magellan-venus-designing-building-old-fashioned-way.html . Magellan is available here and at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center.

Yogi

bagpiper
04-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks again Yogi. I am about 2/3 way through my build and it is coming along fine. With my limited building I see parts I am going to reprint and do over. I appreciate your information and the link to the Venus spacecraft that I will check out also. I like the idea about rolling over overlapping joins. Sort of like thinning out the paper. I will give that a go also. Looks like I need to get some more bits and pieces to help with creating domes and stuff.

Oh! I bought some gold leaf and was very surprised how cheap it was. 25 sheets of 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches for $9.00. I really thought it was going to be more than that. I am going to try and gold lead the Huygens Probe Shield as well.

Cheers and catch up with you in the forums.
Jim

pahorace
04-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi Yogi,
a large collection, varied and well-organized.
All models, well made and attractive.
However you have a small museum of the conquest of space. Congratulations.

Orazio

2Kamser
04-17-2010, 02:40 AM
So, I found some graphics for scale and added a few more antennae (what 'ya gonna do?). It goes to a good home tonight.

Yogi

Yogi, it looks lik a funny modeled paper clip holder :D:D:D
gotta try that one one day, just gotta finish.... (you know)

Retired_for_now
04-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, whatever the reason a local modeller will be manning a display at the Pensacola Lighthouse (big, black, brick) on Pensacola NAS tomorrow (Sat). So, thought I'd drop by and leave him some gifts.

FG of course.

Yogi

bagpiper
04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, whatever the reason a local modeller will be manning a display at the Pensacola Lighthouse (big, black, brick) on Pensacola NAS tomorrow (Sat). So, thought I'd drop by and leave him some gifts.

FG of course.

Yogi

Yogi! Do you realize every time you post something I find another model I want to build. I can't keep up mate. lol

Cheers and keep up the good work.
Jim

Retired_for_now
04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
But it's not a race - it's an adventure. The trick is to keep the shelves clear (donations where they'll do some good) - so as not to attract notice from "she who'd like a few jobs finished around here."
Yogi

bagpiper
04-28-2010, 06:19 PM
But it's not a race - it's an adventure. The trick is to keep the shelves clear (donations where they'll do some good) - so as not to attract notice from "she who'd like a few jobs finished around here."
Yogi

:) Oh yes Yogi. Agreed 100%. Problem is, and I'm sure you will agree, is that there are way too many fine models to build and not enough hours in the day. lol. I am fairly patient with my cutting and learning and like all other builders on here, either have or are building a HUGE collection of models that they will get around to building "one of these days"

This is so different to plastic modeling where expense and space for the boxes, controls quite well how many models I had under way. Now it's just down to storage space on my drive and what google finds on the internet.

Either way I am so pleased to have found this hobby as advanced as it is. I really did not expect it to be were it is as I had not been following it at all.

Oh look! Just seen the build for the Hubble Telescope in the forum. I feel another download coming up.

Cheers again Yogi and keep up the designs. Wonderful mate.

Jim

Retired_for_now
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Still building ...
The lighthouses ended up being dropped off at the Pensacola Modelleers IPMS show last weekend - I just did a low pass so dropped them off at the exhibition only table and told my buddy in the club to find them a good home or use for door prizes.
Spring yard and lawn toys motor maintenance in progress, with a bit of fiddling around. Built up the series of Earth globes from here:
Earth Science 3D Paper Models and Toys (http://www.consrv.ca.gov/cgs/information/pages/3d_papermodels.aspx) .
Drive on down toward the bottom of the page.

Also added asteroid Eros from here:
world maps with constant-scale natural boundaries (http://rightbasicbuilding.com/)
to add to the NEAR mission display at the planetarium. Can't image why every small body is described as "potato shaped." Won't drop it off until I get Phobos-Grunt cleaned up and finished.

Here's a project suggestion for someone. Japans Hayabusa/MUSES-C is on its way home with (hopefully) a sample from asteroid Itokawa. You can find the space probe here ISAS | u‚Í‚â‚Ô‚³vƒy[ƒp[ƒNƒ‰ƒtƒg / u‚Í‚â‚Ô‚³v‚Æ—V‚Ú‚¤I (http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/j/enterp/missions/hayabusa/fun/papercraft.shtml) and the asteroid at the previous link. Would make a nice matched display ...

Slowed a bit due to workspace clutter since the home for the historical space station display (Salyut, Skylab, Mir, and two-foot ISS) isn't ready yet. Don't want to stress "she who'd like some organization around here."

Yofi

bagpiper
05-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Many thanks for the links Yogi.
Some nice finds there.

Cheers
Jim

Retired_for_now
05-08-2010, 02:06 PM
You're welcome, Jim.

Pictures to go with the comments above.

Bizzaro Earth(s)

And the cosmic spud, asteroid Eros.

Yogi (it could be worse - he doesn't play the accordian ...)

jparenti
05-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Where did you get the Eros model? I have the Phobos one, but I have never seen Eros anywhere...

Retired_for_now
05-09-2010, 07:05 AM
J - post 164 above, middle link about constant-scale natural boundaries-menu on right side has several very interesting items including Eros cut-n-fold.

Oh, and re-reading my (snide?) tag line above - just for the record Jim, I have several CDs of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and related tunes. I'm just not ready to talk about my accordian collection, though.

Yogi

bagpiper
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
J - post 164 above, middle link about constant-scale natural boundaries-menu on right side has several very interesting items including Eros cut-n-fold.

Oh, and re-reading my (snide?) tag line above - just for the record Jim, I have several CDs of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and related tunes. I'm just not ready to talk about my accordian collection, though.

Yogi

Cool. I could send you a recording of me playing on stage with the Chieftans on 2 March this year - but that would be showing off. LOL. And I did not think you were being snide mate but thanks all the same.

Cheers and looking forward to your builds and support as always Yogi.

Jim

Retired_for_now
05-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Ok - now I am impressed! I marched a few parades many years ago (Rose, Macy's, and some smaller ones) but you're in the big time.
Yogi

Retired_for_now
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Was looking for something unique for the Fiddler's Green workup - not too many helos and this one is significant in this area (Hurlburt Field).

The Sikorsky YR-4 was the first operationally deployed US helicopter - notably used during WWII in India/Burma by the 1st Air Commando Group (Project 9) for medivac and rescue of downed aviators. Six prototypes were delivered, two were lost during operations. The 1ACG was one of the forerunners of todays USAF Special Operations aviation (red-headed stepchild of the bomber/fighter dominated Air Force). Likely drop this off along with a CV-22 model to my local USAF historian buddy.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachments/stock/45185d1273713416t-sikorsky-r-4-sikorskyr-4.jpg (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachments/stock/45185d1273713416-sikorsky-r-4-sikorskyr-4.jpg)

If you give this one a try, use the 3-view drawing for correct rotor installation. Picture above has the rotor backward (shot before research complete). Fortunately, the rotor is not glued or locked down so a quick flip puts things to right.

Yogi

mbauer
05-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Yogi,

Just on page two. But after your intro and knowing what you're doing with the schools, would you mind if I stop by the Challenger Center here in Kenai, Alaska and share some photos and the link to this thread?

I'm sure with all of the kids they bring through that the launchers and rockets would be much appreciated!

Just finished a couple of weeks intensive design/build and finally getting around to reading some of your posts!

Thank you for sharing them!

Insanity like this is no problem! The photos, story and description comments are great!

Mike Bauer

mbauer
05-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I like the one in the middle.

Wyvern
Hi Wyvern,

Me too!

Mike

Retired_for_now
05-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Mike,
Pass on the info to any schools or organizations you like. After all, that's my reason (excuse?) for all the time spent fiddlin'. I'm currently cranking out little F-35 gliders (aviation downloads here) to use as "bait" during an Air Force Association membership drive - the small humans drag the big ones right on over.

The Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center < The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop (http://jleslie48.com) > is also a link Kenai Challenger Center should have. And, if you give them a link to Canon < Paper Craft - Canon CREATIVE PARK (http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/1006/) > there's a polar bear, orca, and eagle (among many other animals); < Free Paper Toys, Paper Models and Paper Crafts at ss42.com (http://www.ss42.com/toys.html) > also has a lot of useful links - use the menu on the left.

Just remember - they'll have to register on the forum to view the pictures (I think we'd all be honored to have someone from the Kenai Challenger Center join us - give Jon some company as well).

Yogi

mbauer
05-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Yogi,

Thanks for the permission. Jon's site will be the big selling point, as well as this site too.

I got the feeling that your models will be much admired!!

More than happy to help promote our hobby/obsession!

Mike

Retired_for_now
06-08-2010, 06:06 PM
So, you've heard about the months-long night during the Alaskan winter. And, the long, long summer days. And sometimes, you forget that it's time to sleep during those 20 hour days - either that or our Alaskan Mike is just hyperactive.

Mike's taken the basic stomp rocket idea and created a series of really nice models. This one will be a Gemini-Titan.

It looks like it'll be a great classroom (or first build) project. Few parts, good sized parts, nice fit, and excellent graphics.

It's your basic rocket body, tubes and conics. Roll the tubes/cones, cut and laminate formers, and attach. On the right is the thrust tube sized for a loose fit around a 1/2 PVC pipe. Note the length - limited by letter size paper. It reaches the full length of the first stage tube and up to the top of the black graphics on the second stage - a good reference point. The thrust tube slips into ring formers in the first stage and terminates against a solid former in the middle of the second stage - placed in line with the top of the second stage graphics.

This is a bit of re-jiggering of the basic model - I figured the air pressure from the stomp launcher would be better contained with a solid bulkhead to bear against rather than just glued to the inner edge of the formers.

While I checked the tabs for fit, I used a backing ring to join the stages as it helps keep the body straight. I also glued strips around the inner circumference to locate and align the bottom (ring) and top (solid) formers. All the other tabs were used as designed.

A bit of burnishing to sink a visible seam, and the bits are ready to assemble.

Obviously, you can't make the Titan thrust assembly since the pressure tube is in the way. Mike did provide two nozzles - here mounted with a little extra flair hoping they'd provide enough stern drag to replace the provided fins. No such luck - without the fins it tumbles fairly quickly. With the fins we're up to 30 feet with an easy stomp (not bad considering this is at least 5 times the weight of the basic 11" tube and fin rocket, which will easily make 100 feet).

Mike's designed this with a replaceable nose section - watch the fit carefully as the inner section builds to the same size as the outer as printed (should slip inside). Mike might adjust the part, but it's tough to size it exactly since various weights (or brands) of paper/card may vary in thickness.

Yogi

bagpiper
06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Mike, Yogi. I got an email from him around 04:00 this morning. :D

But he is indeed doing some wonderful stuff with his designs.

Thanks for sharing this build mate. I am very interested in this one.

Cheers
Jim

Retired_for_now
06-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks, Jim.

I usually just build models as printed, then they go into an indoor case (science center or planetarium) or to a classroom (short life expectancy). The tube-only stomp rockets are also uncoated - one piece disposables.

Mike's stomp rockets are nice enough I'd like to use them for demos or prizes - so need to be a little more durable. Following the recent comments on spray varnish/preservatives/fixatives I thought I'd try some on this one. Didn't make a run to the craft store, so decided to see how your basic Krylon clear coat would work.

One thin coat so far. No problems with the ink (HP-brand, not generic). I don't expect glue problems as I'm still working my way through the big bottle of Titebond II from my shop.

Still thinking about stability - how to eliminate the need for (inauthentic) fins. They're nicely done and subdued in Mike's rendition - but ...

The trick is to move the center of gravity (balance point) - CG - forward of the center of (lateral) pressure - CP. The rocket is a simple shape so the CP is about halfway up the body (just above the "N" in UNITED). The CG is aft (about at the "T" in UNITED) due to the weight of the pressure tube and associated heavy formers. I tried to splay out the nozzles to provide more lateral area and move the CP aft but, as noted above, it wasn't enough. The fins do the trick, but I'd rather not need them. So, how to move the CG forward? I'll try a bit of weight in the nose, though I don't expect that to be very successful. Stomp rockets need to be as light as possible so adding weight may just turn it into a shelf sitter.

We'll see,

Yogi

If you can stick a tube in it - it'll launch ...

mbauer
06-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Hi Yogi,

Thank you for the catch of the replaceable nosecone assembly. Will fix ASAP.

Great photos and a big surprise! Thanks for showing these!

Just so that you know, after 4-weeks of drawing these rockets. 14 are done and the autocad drawing says 474.2 hours.

They do keep me off the streets at night...

Best regards,
Mike

mbauer
06-09-2010, 02:37 AM
It's your basic rocket body, tubes and conics. Roll the tubes/cones, cut and laminate formers, and attach. On the right is the thrust tube sized for a loose fit around a 1/2 PVC pipe. Note the length - limited by letter size paper. It reaches the full length of the first stage tube and up to the top of the black graphics on the second stage - a good reference point. The thrust tube slips into ring formers in the first stage and terminates against a solid former in the middle of the second stage - placed in line with the top of the second stage graphics.

This is a bit of re-jiggering of the basic model - I figured the air pressure from the stomp launcher would be better contained with a solid bulkhead to bear against rather than just glued to the inner edge of the formers

Obviously, you can't make the Titan thrust assembly since the pressure tube is in the way. Mike did provide two nozzles - here mounted with a little extra flair hoping they'd provide enough stern drag to replace the provided fins. No such luck - without the fins it tumbles fairly quickly. With the fins we're up to 30 feet with an easy stomp (not bad considering this is at least 5 times the weight of the basic 11" tube and fin rocket, which will easily make 100 feet).

Mike's designed this with a replaceable nose section - watch the fit carefully as the inner section builds to the same size as the outer as printed (should slip inside). Mike might adjust the part, but it's tough to size it exactly since various weights (or brands) of paper/card may vary in thickness.

Yogi

Hi Yogi,

Great build and beautiful photos!

The thrust tube can be made 1" longer. Don't shorten it as printed, just cut to the edge of the paper. The longer the tube, the higher it goes.

Great experiment to show the "impulse" power available.

If you take a piece of wood dowel and throw it like a spear, it will rotate and tumble every time. Rotation means it will twist and turn with the length facing the relative wind, not the front as first thrown.

When man started using the spear, the head did give more stability, so I'm curious if your experiment will work. Of course the final answer was tail feathers. This is why I supply the small subdued fins.

Yes, the thrust tube was an issue. The way this one was, didn't work at all. The fix was simple, yours is an excellent way to do it to, furthermore using your shotgun crimp method works even better.

My fix was to put a plug inside the thrust tube and then re-inforce with strips of cardstock, new models soon to be sent will use this method.

Got the Saturn V to about 25ft, and the tube held this time! The Saturn V weighs 35 grams.

The only thing that hasn't flown, was the F16 (30" long and weighs 4-oz). Working on a F104 that is 20" long and lots lighter.

One thing that I'll try next is to make the whole capsule assembly replaceable. Doing it this way might turn the whole section into a "shock-Absorber" by sliding down the fuselage, instead of crunching when they land.

The 1950s Sci-Fi model I designed will use this method, but I don't have time right now to build it. Got 5-others in line first...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Retired_for_now
06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
You're making some serious progress, Mike. Good on 'ya.

I've gotten the Titan to about 50 feet with a good stomp (and a hell-of-a-pop as it clears the tube, no damage though). Performance is going to be limited by the weight of a rocket this size.

I just posted plans and patterns for the stomp rocket launcher and the simplest rocket in the Toys and Automata section of the downloads (half and three-quarter inch PVC calibers included). The rockets are a one piece tube with one glued/taped seam, crimped top (glue or tape) and integral fins. This is the basic rocket I've used at kids' activities, they can make their own in 10 minutes with a scissors and tape - color to suit with magic markers.

Optional parts include a disk to reinforce the top and a cylinder and cone that slips over the top of the rocket to make a nosecone. Simple and light - these will easily exceed 100 feet and pop off the launch tube like a homesick angel.

Yogi

mbauer
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Awesome, A big Thank You Yogi!

Best to use 90# or 100# Index for these. Strong enough to handle the impulse, but light enoug to float down.

The Saturn V went from 39.65 grams using 110# Index to 35 grams using 100# Index.

Really like your simple rocket! Will be a big favorite with the Challenger Learning Centers! Once I show it to them.

Will be burning a copy to the CD I'm taking to them.

Best regards,
Mike

Retired_for_now
06-09-2010, 09:23 PM
You're welcome, Mike. That's what these designs are for - a little learning disguised as chaos.
I've been building these (and the Titan) with 65lb Wasau paper and haven't had problems (yet).
Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-10-2010, 05:24 PM
And a little something to defend Jellystone against those "bear" bombers being discussed over on the Aviation Section.

Nike-Zeus was an early anti-ballistic missile developed from the Nike series of surface-to-air missiles (SAM). Defense in the 1950s was still thinking in terms of the 1000-plane raids of World War II and turned to nuclear tipped SAMs. The idea was to lob a nuke (5-40 kiloton dial-a-bomb) into the middle of the enemy formation and blast them all at once (and seriously singe whatever was underneath). Eventually, someone realized you wouldn't use large formations to deliver nukes - one plane to a city (or maybe send two if you really cared). The only formations were cells of a few aircraft that closed up for mutual support to penetrate defense belts, then dispersed to individual targets.

The Nike-Zeus was developed in the early 1960s specifically to intercept ballistic missile warheads. It was extensively tested and demonstrated the capability to close to within 200 feet of an incoming re-entry vehicle (a fact not stressed by critics of current anti-ballistic missile systems). With a 400 kiloton warhead (well over 20 times the yield of the nukes used on Japan to end WWII) 200 feet was a definite hit - and we actually set the damn things off during live fire tests back then ...

Sized to fire off from the 1/2 inch stomp rocket launcher.

Yogi (poking bear with stick not recommended ...)

WeeVikes
06-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Yogi,

The Nike-Zeus is sweet, and thanks for the history lesson.

I presume this is, or will be available somewhere soon?

Thanks,

Mike

Retired_for_now
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Weeelllllll, Mike. OK, testing completed. Will post in the Space section (or maybe military hardware if I can figure out how to double list it without double posting it). NB-posted in the Real Space downloads.

The (very light) basic rockets easily exceed 100 feet. The Nike, about twice as heavy with the booster section and nose cone, does better than 75 feet (standard, no-jumping, Yogi stomp on 2-liter bottle, somewhat used and crumpled by now). It performs a little better than expected despite the additional weight. More weight means less performance but the heavier rocket also stays on the launch tube longer - building a little more pressure for a longer period of time. Now there would be some non-linear equations to integrate (Maurice, anyone, Maurice?).
Yogi

More fiddling/testing - a bit of clay under the removeable nosecone (dime sized, 1/8" thick wad) makes a very stable rocket with little effect on performance. However: it will no longer flutter back down to landing but comes in like a real lawn dart; lots of wear and tear on that nosecone.

Retired_for_now
06-12-2010, 08:56 PM
And a quickie stomp rocket. Like the Titan, nicely finished and quick to build. We'll see how it flies tomorrow.

Yogi (filling up the demo box, must be time to go look for a venue ...)

Retired_for_now
06-13-2010, 06:59 PM
And another in Mike's series of stomp rockets.

I left the pressure tube a bit long to make the center (sustainer) engine. Heavier than the Redstone, lighter than the Titan, it flies stably (at moderate stomps) even without fins. The outboard booster engine fairings seem to move the CP far enough aft to stabilize things. We'll try it with a really good stomp tomorrow.

Yogi

WeeVikes
06-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Yogi, I'm in!

Those last two models have pushed me over the edge. I'm building a stomp launcher, like, oh, NOW!

There are times I want to go flying, but don't feel like dragging all of my gear out to the field, etc. This is great way to get my flying jones worked out!

Refresh my memory -- have you built a Saturn V yet?

Thank you,

Mike

Retired_for_now
06-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Mike, check with mbauer for the SaturnV stomp rocket. I think the whole set is up at ecardmodels.
I've done a little SaturnV from Lower Hudson Valley (enlarged Burke design from the LUT kit) in paper and set it up for the straw rocket launcher (before it went to a school for display). Didn't work very well because I didn't put a straw sized thrust tube in it. Without something to confine the pressure, the air just expands into the volume of the rocket. It's on the left in the last picture in my first post in this thread.
Yogi

peter taft
06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
And a little something to defend Jellystone against those "bear" bombers being discussed over on the Aviation Section.

Nike-Zeus was an early anti-ballistic missile developed from the Nike series of surface-to-air missiles (SAM). Defense in the 1950s was still thinking in terms of the 1000-plane raids of World War II and turned to nuclear tipped SAMs. The idea was to lob a nuke (5-40 kiloton dial-a-bomb) into the middle of the enemy formation and blast them all at once (and seriously singe whatever was underneath). Eventually, someone realized you wouldn't use large formations to deliver nukes - one plane to a city (or maybe send two if you really cared). The only formations were cells of a few aircraft that closed up for mutual support to penetrate defense belts, then dispersed to individual targets.

The Nike-Zeus was developed in the early 1960s specifically to intercept ballistic missile warheads. It was extensively tested and demonstrated the capability to close to within 200 feet of an incoming re-entry vehicle (a fact not stressed by critics of current anti-ballistic missile systems). With a 400 kiloton warhead (well over 20 times the yield of the nukes used on Japan to end WWII) 200 feet was a definite hit - and we actually set the damn things off during live fire tests back then ...

Sized to fire off from the 1/2 inch stomp rocket launcher.

Yogi (poking bear with stick not recommended ...)

O.M.G....:eek: we'd better fly good 'n' high Yogi... Great work you're doing here as is the norm for you my friend ;)

mbauer
06-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Mike, check with mbauer for the SaturnV stomp rocket. I think the whole set is up at ecardmodels.
I've done a little SaturnV from Lower Hudson Valley (enlarged Burke design from the LUT kit) in paper and set it up for the straw rocket launcher (before it went to a school for display). Didn't work very well because I didn't put a straw sized thrust tube in it. Without something to confine the pressure, the air just expands into the volume of the rocket. It's on the left in the last picture in my first post in this thread.
Yogi
Hi Yogi,

Thanks for the free advertising! Most of all Thank you for all of your help, my rockets would never have been if it wasn't for you!
I sent the rockets to you as a small payment for your help!

Wasn't expecting you to post a build thread on them! Wow!! Thank you!

Hi Mike,
Yes, they are listed at ecardmodels.com, Chris was nice enough to list them!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

WeeVikes
06-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Yogi,

The Saturn V you tried to fly is my design! Now I expect you to get it right (so I can shamelessly rip you off and fly my own model...) ;-)

Mike

Retired_for_now
06-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Fly real high Peter - them buggers pop off with some ferocious EMP! Never underestimate the bear ...

MBauer - best kind of help, I blather and you do all the hard work. But, if it gets us one more future scientist/engineer I'll be happy - OK also happy if someone just has some fun with the idea.

Other-brother-Mike - In your case, thanks for designing a superb little rocket. The Saturn V scaled up nicely to just over a foot and made an elementary school teacher (local NASA teacher liaison, space camp graduate, fourth runner-up in the "teacher in space" competition - bitter sweet honor, that) very happy. Without a small tube (straw) to contain the pressure it only went up about 10 feet, but it made a heck of a POP when it came of the tube. I've built several of Ton's SaturnVs, and 1bs, for the rocket gardens but those aren't candidates for fliers. Key to the stomp rockets is enough graphics to look good while being as simple with as few parts as possible - that way you can launch without guilt since you can build spares and replacements easily.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Hot and sticky - so outside for some fiddling before it gets hot enough to melt me.

Atlas stomp rocket will need some small fins to stabilize it for a hard launch. It gets about 20-30' before going random.

Did some fiddling around with airplanes - it's easy to make a nice glider with a little judicious adjustment of the balance and trim. The stomp launcher works OK for it IF you launch softly to the glider's flying speed. A hard launch puts the glider totally outside its trim range.

Of course if you build something with wings that's designed to go faster:

It flew so well (stable and fast) I haven't had the guts to launch it hard. All the way across the yard with a light step at the pictured launch angle. It'll either end up in the road or in the bay - either would be not-good. Small, stiff, and flat flying surfaces. Of course, once I build a couple more we'll have something for range safety to play with ...

Yogi

cgutzmer
06-15-2010, 08:03 AM
ooohhhhh cool! VIDEO! :)

WeeVikes
06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Arrrrgh... Man... Want...!

Yogi,... You're killing me. I can't get to building fast enough and now you come out with this? We have a BOMARC at the National Museum of the US Air Force here in Dayton, and I always thought it was really cool. Now I simply must have one!

When will you be making it available, sir?

Thanks,

Mike

Retired_for_now
06-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, Chris. I guess I'm just a techno-troll. It's hard enough to grab the camera and take a few shots during a build. Setting up and shooting the launch (I think my little digital camera can shoot video-no sound) is too much like work. You can lay raw eyeballs on it for about $5 in PVC and an hour or two to cut out and build one...

Bomarc (the missile, not the modelling artiste) is a good flier (not that bomarc may not be a good pilot, I just don't know him that well) - but, like all airplanes, touchy to rig stable. The rockets have such small control surfaces (fins) that you don't have to be very precise so long as the weight distribution is OK - nose stays in front and everything else follows.
Airplanes have so much aerodynamic surface that any little adjustment makes for a lot of force when it comes off of the launch tube. So long as it's weighted correctly it will go, but it may go screaming off in all directions if the wings/tail are just a bit off of neutral.

The problem is trim speed. Control surfaces that are adjusted for a nice, long glide are way too extreme when it comes off the rail at a much higher velocity. I usually set the glide trim by either tossing the gliders or using a short piece of tubing like a blow gun. With the actual launcher, I've been launching fairly flat (10 degress or so) and get a pretty radical pull up and climb that (if I've got things right) ends in a stall and drop into a glide.

The alternative is to zero out all the surfaces and tweak the balance (lump of clay under the removeable nosecone, see previous posts for picture of clay booger on glider's nose) until it flies with no trim needed. Maybe tomorrow ...

Yogi

BTW, Mike - will post this one in the Aviation downloads shortly. Looking forward to seeing some of these built and posted in the virtual model show thread. - ?

Retired_for_now
06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Posted in the Aviation downloads.

Yogi

Bomarc
06-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Nice one Yogi. I left a comment for you on the download you might find interesting. :)

Mike

Retired_for_now
06-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks Mike - I'm happy that it is recognizable. The wing position on the B model would have required a lot of weight in the nose, one more part and more weight ...

I've limited myself a bit by trying for a minimum parts count because, ultimately, the stomp rockets are disposable. Even more so than Estes rockets these are prone to catch in trees, land in a really wet patch of grass (not even Krylon can save it), hit the odd wall or fence, end up on the roof (or in the rafters depending on your location and the tolerance of the landlord), be attacked by hawks, be stolen by badgers, or abducted by aliens.

Yogi

Bomarc
06-16-2010, 04:21 PM
.....or abducted by aliens.

I hate when that happens! Those little SOB's never give anything back.....

Being a "Bomarc baby", I was born not too far from the Suffolk AFB Bomarc site at the Suffolk County Hospital. My dad was working for Boeing as a field rep on the Bomarc program there. On my original New York Birth certificate my dad's occupation is just listed as "Missiles". He was at McGuire for awhile TDY, but left long before the fire happened. Outside of the McGuire site, the Suflok site is probably the most intact today as it was taken over by the Suffolk County Police Department and is still used as their impound lot. Google Earth tells the tale:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/bomarc_99/SuffolkAFB.jpg

They use the shelters to store all the unclaimed cars. A version of "swords into plowshares" I suppose.....

Mike

peter taft
06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
I hate when that happens! Those little SOB's never give anything back.....

Being a "Bomarc baby", I was born not too far from the Suffolk AFB Bomarc site at the Suffolk County Hospital. My dad was working for Boeing as a field rep on the Bomarc program there. On my original New York Birth certificate my dad's occupation is just listed as "Missiles". He was at McGuire for awhile TDY, but left long before the fire happened. Outside of the McGuire site, the Suflok site is probably the most intact today as it was taken over by the Suffolk County Police Department and is still used as their impound lot. Google Earth tells the tale:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/bomarc_99/SuffolkAFB.jpg

They use the shelters to store all the unclaimed cars. A version of "swords into plowshares" I suppose.....

Mike

Hey... Mike, i thought you was going to try and tell us the above picture was taken from a mini-cam strapped to one of these ace stomp rockets :eek::D
Yogi.... might you try this some day :eek: A tiny cheep Digi-cam with a button type battery {stripped down to fit some how :confused: } would make for some great pictures of your good self at the launch site ;)

Retired_for_now
06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice idea Peter, if I had a little camera. I suffer from terminal cheapness - I can spend money on things I'll use but I've learned I have a lot of enthusiasms that are very expensive on a dollar spent per minute of use basis. I could go broke real fast if it wasn't for that character flaw.

There are several Bomarc launch sites around, but very few of the missiles on display. Part of the reason is that they made really good (fast, high altitude) targets after they were retired. The other reason is that parts of the missile were made from a thorium-magnesium alloy - thorium is a very low level radioactive material and is commonly found in beach sand, but there's a lot of paranoia out there. Had a Bomarc (missile, not Mike) in the Liza Jackson Park around here many years ago until it was removed for that reason - a shame, really.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
The Bomarc (missile, not modelling artiste) is turning out to be a great flier. It does require a little tuning to get the best out of it.

Trimming the missile for flight.

The model can be made of 65 or 110lb card, the heavier stock will provide more durability with the inevitable hard landings. Coating is recommended as just one landing in the wet grass will really trash the graphics (I used the basic Krylon Clear spray). Here's a tip, spray the nosecone separately since it will need to come off for reshaping or replacement after landing (don't ask ...)

The model should be launched with an easy stomp on the launcher bottle - this will provide a good launch while not greatly exceeding the model's best glide (trim) speed. Start soft and work your way up, observing how your missile behaves. You can do your initial flights just using a short length of 1/2" PVC pipe like a blow gun ... 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - POOT!

Control surfaces should be as straight as possible - stability will come by trimming the center of gravity (CG). Any deflection of the tail surfaces or wings will result in greatly amplified forces when launched from the stomp rocket launcher. This can be entertaining, but will not give you a long, stable flight.

Balance the model: put a dowel on your workbench and set the model crosswise on the dowel (start under the ramjet engines). Slowly roll the dowel toward the high end until the model tips down - note this point. Now, roll the dowel back until the model tips again - your center of gravity is halfway between these two points. Check it by balancing the model on the edge of a thin steel ruler - the flat surface provides just enough support for stability while being thin enough to precisely locate the CG.

The model seems to fly best with the CG in the middle of the markings on the top of the wings (USAF and winged star). Most likely, you'll need to add some weight to the nose. You can glue a couple of thick card disks to the front of the pressure tube or stick a bit of clay there - where it will be hidden under the removeable nosecone. In the unlikely event you need to add weight to the tail, your best option is probably to put some bits of clay (equally split right and left) into the tail ends of the ramjet engines.

Now go out there and have some fun - you can invite the (littler) kids, too.

Yogi

Bomarc
06-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Next time the lad and I are at "Grandpa Camp" we're going to stomp-launch some Bomarcs. My dad will get a real kick out of this.....

Mike

umtutsut
06-17-2010, 06:15 AM
I'd LOVE to see a more detailed (i.e., display) Bomarc....:rolleyes:

:cool: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

Retired_for_now
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Outstanding, Mike! My job here is done ...

Les,
I'll likely make a few tweaks to improve the fidelity (horizontal tail alignment, ramjet shapes, optional ramjet pylons). Without a lot of really good photos (see post 204) or blueprints it's not worth obsessing over. And, of course, if you do a really detailed model you'll need the erector/launch rail to make the display ....

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Ok, more Bomarc detailing (as he succumbs to pressure from superior modellers).

Most obvious place to start is with the ramjets - they are a signature part of the look of the missile. The actual shape is not terribly complex as aerospace vehicles of the era were mostly skinned with flat sheets, so surfaces are developable conics.

For the purposes of a stomp rocket (making a replacement or letting little hands do the work) we've gone from 3 pieces (1-roll cylinder, 2-glue band inside front to make a shelf to locate the spike, 3-roll cone for spike) to a much more complex arrangement.

1-roll conic for exhaust nozzle which will nest inside to connect to the next section (still checking references, several shots show a variable nozzle while others have it one smooth piece);
2-roll conic for aft section (attached to the forward section with tabs which meet fairly smoothly because of the geometry);
3-roll conic for forward section;
4-glue band (curved conic) inside front lip to locate the spike;
5-roll cone for spike, then carefully insert (angled and squeezed a little) into the front inlet that is smaller than the base of the spike and push it down to settle on the shelf band inside, you need the band to locate the spike in order to keep it aligned (otherwise you could just push the spike in from the large end until it seated - hopefully square and the same length as on the other engine - not likely);
6-thick card core for engine pylon, made shorter than the pylon so the leading and trailing edges can be pulled in to a sharp edge;
7-fold pylon around thick card core (6) and glue slanted edge to forward section of engine.

Durability may be a problem also, as the pylon attachment has a shorter gluing surface than gluing the simple cylindrical engine along its full length. Pylon standoff also gives lever arm to any impacts, multiplying the force.

More could be done adding little stencils (not enough operational photos and the displayed missiles have them painted over) and a few more panel lines. As many circular formers as desired could also be added to lock in the shape - easy to make as the sizes only need to be approximate since they'll slip into the conic like a funnel. Just make them bigger than the front opening and smaller than the aft. Oh, and put them in before assembling the engine sections. I suppose you could also add some graphics to one of the formers to simulate the burner nozzles ...

We'll see just how many little pieces I finally add - may be left up to the creativity of the individual modeller.

On to the tail group.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
An interesting day, so far. I went down to help with a summer science camp at the Emerald Coast Science Center. We built rockets - and launched them - and ran around chasing the ducks ... The kids were great but the 6-8 year old range does exhibit classic Brownian motion.

The quick script went like:
Who wants to be an astronaut/engineer/pilot?
You're going to do it all today with your own rocket.
Cut out the parts for a one-piece, rolled and crimped stomp rocket. Show & do for just about each step (each cut, roll, tape seam, crimp/smash top, tape top, cut out fins, color your rocket). Tailor the complexity of the rocket and the time for the motor skill development of the "engineers."
Then we went outside with me as range safety (nobody gets near the launcher while our "launch controller" is loading his rocket; nobody stands forward of the firing line).
I used three launchers to start with and we tried to land on Mars (my usual 5-gallon bucket with a picture of Mars on it). Everybody launched and the closest was the winner.
Then we launched to see who's rocket went the farthest. Everybody launched, ran down to get their own rocket (except for the one distracted by the ducks), and the longest flight was the winner.
Finally, I got out two more stable launchers and set them up identically for "races." Two racers load their rockets, 3-2-1-STOMP, and the longest wins. Rejoin the line and the next pair is up. Cycled through a couple of times, then did the same thing except we raced to see who's rocket went highest.
As they got tired (which made the regular class leader/teacher very happy) we finished with some science. She (5 foot something and 100 lbs) and I (never mind, just significantly heavier) raced rockets using a heavy and light rocket. Amazingly, the light rocket went higher regardless of who was stomping.

The 2-liter bottles held up well. I had two spares for each launcher but they weren't needed - didn't break any "rocket motors."

And so home, to take a nap (me, not the kids).

Yogi

Retired_for_now
06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Yogi,
The Saturn V you tried to fly is my design! Now I expect you to get it right (so I can shamelessly rip you off and fly my own model...) ;-)
Mike

OK, Mike. So, you run some piping under the base of your SaturnV LUT back to the bottle. Make a few mods to the Saturn V (internal band at top of second stage to retain sealing disk, internal former/guide ring, some big holes to fit 1/2 inch CPVC pipe - narrower than PVC).

Then you put most of it together,

with a few parts still to be cut away to make room,

and off you go!

Yogi (waiting for a dry launch day)

WeeVikes
06-25-2010, 05:52 AM
That's awesome!

As it turns out, I just finished building one of your launchers (finally...) last night!

Perfect!

Retired_for_now
06-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Sounds like a good complement to your fiery arsenal. Depending on the tubing you used for the main parts, it gives you options if you pick up some adapter couplings - which you can stack in various ways if needed.
1/2 inch CPVC (beige pipe) is the narrowest at 5/8 inch outside diameter. A little 1/2 inch CPVC inline coupling is just big enough on the outside to fit snugly into a 1/2 inch PVC coupler so you can attach it to the latter size.

1/2 inch PVC (white pipe or gray conduit) is just under 7/8 inch OD - and there are lots of fittings available to transition it to just about any other size tubing.

1/2 inch PVC seems the most useful since it will fit inside the neck of a soda bottle without modification and make a fair seal (of course some duct tape can make it even better - or drill a hole in the bottle cap to closely fit the pipe).

Enjoy!

Yogi

WeeVikes
06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I couldn't find any of the gray fittings you discussed at my local Lowes, so I ended up epoxying the cap to at 2-liter bottle to the end of my fitting and drilling out the top of the cap. If all goes well, I should be able to just screw the bottle into the remainder of the cap.

I'm hopping between that and my 1/24th scale Mercury Redstone I was talking about a ways back. The booster is almost completely finished, and I'm currently working on Ton's Mercury capsule to top it off. I want to get it done in time for 4th of July so the kids and I can go flying, weather permitting. I have a couple rockets that need maiden voyages, and I'm expecting to add a "D" powered "Gus Grissom-Mobile" to the lineup!

Retired_for_now
06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Mike,
You can use a short piece of 1/2 inch PVC (white or the gray conduit) to fit inside the bottle neck - it seals fairly well as is or with a little tape. The gray coupler is only needed if you're building in 3/4 inch pipe. Not sure even epoxy will stick to the stuff they make the caps out of.

With the 1/2 inch PVC inside the bottle neck, you can use a variety of adapters to join that 1/2 inch piece of pipe to whatever size tubing you're using for the launch tube. See post above for the various sizes you can match to the model/scale you want.

Just for reference, I usually build the launchers completely from 1/2 inch PVC pipe so I can easily slip them into the bottles. I then use a 1/2 to 3/4 PVC adapter to mount a wider "auxillary" 3/4 inch launch tube and a 1/2 to 1/2 CPVC coupler inserted into a 1/2 to 1/2 PVC coupling to mount a narrower 1/2 inch CPVC launch tube.

Yogi

peter taft
06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Great to see you guys Yogi and Mike doing this - two great designers ONE great launcher, and a fine build from Yogi... Hey, don't stomp too hard and break her {get a chute for her decent :D }

Paper Kosmonaut
06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
I take my hat off and make a bow for your great work, Yogi. Beautiful models!
I never have made a launchable rocket myself, there's only one I'd like to make but that one's quite rare to find and I heard it's a disaster to fly: Tintin's red and white checkered moon rocket. It's nowhere to be found though..

Retired_for_now
07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
So, if this is a (more or less) continuous log I'd better make an update.

A short break for 'da niece's wedding in Virginia over the weekend - then writing up directions for the rest of the Bomarc package.
I'll see if the folks at the Eglin Armament Museum would like it as a display since their actual Bomarc is trashed and headed for disposal (long, sad story ...).

I'll have Chris add the launcher to the detailed Bomarc over at ecardmodels (another new experience ...) after I finish and proof the instructions. Should be a freebie to go with the model.

The rest of the week is a modelling write-off. Consulting job and a science workshop (build, launch stomp rockets) for the 9-11 age group over at the Emerald Coast Science Center. That and catching up on work around the house/yard.

Yogi (up next ?)

mbauer
07-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Wow, nice updates Yogi.

Glad to hear of the Bomarc and where it will end up possibly.

Hope ypou have great fun at the workshop!

Will be doing something like that myself. Challenger Center wants more help with another build class on Wed.

Thanks Yogi, for getting me going in the right direction with these Stomp Rockets!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Don Boose
07-13-2010, 05:34 AM
I like your build log, John. It represents a lot of skill, talent, and application.

Don

mbauer
07-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi Yogi,

Woke up with an idea. Since I couldn't sleep after that, I drew the thing out.

New way of doing the internal PSI tube. Now it is a plug. Instead of being on the outside, it slips on the inside. Plug will use internal formers for mounting to inside of rocket shell. Will be just as long as the pressure tube. Plug is lighter, than the thrust tube.

Just like the carbon fiber shaft assembly, except it is made from cardstock and mounted to the rocket.

Raining like crazy so no way to test unless I print the test rocket from yupo, which I think I might.

BTW-I did the math after finding/using a pipe volume calculator and it looks like the launcher is approx. 0.24501 liters [18" + 6" + 30" long pieces]. The rocket with a 12" thrust tube is .05445 liters. So the total is 0.299460 liters as the rocket clears the launch pipe.

Will do a volume check next on the bottle after stomping by the method you have previously mentioned. To see how much of the 2-liter is really being used.

New way of doing PSI Plug removes the inside volume of the rocket. Problem is I don't know if it will hold up to the pressures... Already a couple of fixes planned it it doesn't.

If it works the next step will be to turn it into a platform the rocket sits on.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Retired_for_now
07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks Don. I'm still watching in awe at the skills displayed on the forum - I think I'll keep to my niche for a while.

Mike,
Not quite clear on the concept. It sounds like you're using a long tube for the pressure vessel that remains with the launch tube and separates from the flying rocket? That would make it a drop-away first stage. Not sure how that will ultimately affect the rocket's performance but it should be interesting.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
So, done a little early with the exercise vetting.

A little something more current for Friday's workshop.

Just about anything that is (or will fit around) a tube can be launched. In this case I just reduced the Falcon 9 by 65% to get it down to something just a little bigger than the 1/2 inch PVC tube's (.84in/21mm) outer diameter. Obviously deleted the engines and eliminated all internal formers but the top one - serves as the pressure bulkhead. Also took the "corner" engine fairings and creased them to make fins. Addendum-needs larger fins to fly well; might modify or just leave it as a display piece.

Mike, saw your post. Looks like a neat idea to both extend the duration of the impulse and potentially reduce the weight of the rocket (assuming you build the lower section lighter/un-reinforced) with the only strong structure concentrated around whatever the rod pushes on.

Yogi

peter taft
07-15-2010, 05:33 AM
I like your build log, John. It represents a lot of skill, talent, and application.

Don

Ditto... Totally agree ! Great stuff here from our man YOGI !! ;)

Retired_for_now
07-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks, Peter.

Finished up another session with the larval rocket scientists. A little physics (how does a rocket work, how can we make one?); build a basic tube stomp rocket; and we're off to the races.

Pretty good crew - a couple of the mini-engineers almost made the Mars Landing (5-gallon bucket at 50 feet) and the long-range contest got out to 80 feet. Group dynamics precluded doing single elimination on the rocket races so we just stomped some more and went in for a cool-down.

Rig to launch two rockets with the same stomp for heat races. Winners advance in single elimination until you get an overall winner - probably work best within a group that knows one another (family, school class, neighborhood) but less appropriate for a pick-up group at a short summer science camp.

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
07-17-2010, 09:54 AM
First, I think the term "larval rocket scientists" deserves a round of applause and laughs. :-D
Second, It looks like the kids and yourself had a good time. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Squirrel
07-17-2010, 11:45 AM
what a wonderful person, investing in the future of engineering. i applaud you.

Retired_for_now
07-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the comments - though everyone on the forum likely does a bit of this everytime they talk about or show their efforts.

Stomp rockets do help catch short attention spans with the pace of activity. A little concentration while building is repaid with jumping, running, and things flying through the air.

Yogi (ya' work with what ya' got ...)

Retired_for_now
07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Dropped off the space station set (Salyut, Skylab, MIR, ISS, Bigelow inflatable) along with the 1:100 scale Falcon 9/Dragon at the Emerald Coast Science Center. Up on a high shelf for now, we'll see how long it takes for the little fingers to eat-em-up.

Did a few more stomp rockets for the workshops. Bigger fins on the Falcon9 better matches the size of the engine fairings and flies much better. Some graphics on one for the Science Center. And, if you stack two of the one-page rockets using a joiner strip in the middle, add good sized fins, and add a nosecone cribbed from the Bomarc you get a very high performance rocket. I almost lost it in the top of my 100+ foot pine tree on the first test with an easy stomp - need to find an open field and see how high it'll go.

Decided to make a more permanent display for the planets I use in the workshops - relative sizes of Earth, Mars (pretty small) and the Moon (really smaller). Also found some really interesting photo detailed globes that included all the Galilean Moons - pretty sure the link came from somebody's post on the forum (thank you, whoever you are!). The first is destined for the Emerald Coast Science Center, the Jupiter moons set may end up at the Planetarium ...

Yogi

Retired_for_now
08-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Got lucky on the last (two) tropical disturbances and the oil leak is stopped, so onward.

A little bit of building but more time spent staring at the dang confuser screen.

The Herschel Space Telescope and Phobos-Grunt projects are marinating. However, I am making some progress updating the James Webb Space Telescope and enlarging it to 1:48 to match Ton's Hubble. Ultimately, it will make a better display for the Planetarium at that scale (allowing me to swap the smaller JWST to the Emerald Coast Science Center to replace the busted one).

I'll likely dump the new JWST work to a separate thread. Had a couple of emails from the JWST team at NASA - apparently their lawyers are involved in deciding what they can post on the website (the Mercury MESSENGER bunch wasn't so concerned I guess). Well, it'll shortly either be up there or here - assuming I get it done. The sunshades really need to be resized to the correct proportions - it's always something.

Yogi

piginapoke
08-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Nice x planes.

Nice thread you have here. I'll try a few of the stomp rockets with my kids and then try them out with my local scout/cubs group that my son is a member of.

do the plastic bottles only get one stomp out of them by the way?

Retired_for_now
08-14-2010, 03:50 PM
You can get a lot (20+) of stomps out of one bottle. They will get pretty ugly after a while but I've only had one actually break (9-year-old from a flying leap onto the bottom of the bottle). It's best to stomp on the middle of the bottle - have them stomp on the label.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Resized to 1:48 to better display with Ton's Hubble, which then provided an opportunity for some more fiddling. I think I'm done but I'll let things rest before posting.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
08-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Cleared the shelves again - the 479th Training Group (USAF) onboard Naval Air Station Pensacola hosted an Air Force Night at the Museum at the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Air Force Association set up a table (literature, magazines, info board, membership applications - and I brought the bait). Set up a little early to catch some museum traffic and then had a couple of hundred people at the event.

The simple F-35 gliders were give-aways (you must be less than 4 feet tall to play ...) and the Dime models, FG SNJ Texan and SB2C Helldiver, Ojimak T-45, Ton's X-43, paper-replika X-51, and my Global Hawk were donated to the Museum's Adventure Deck programs (science camps for kids). The Hubble went to the IMAX folks to use promoting the Hubble IMAX film they are showing in the theater (JWST already has a home). The Helldiver they just pulled up from the lake in California is already at the museum for restoration (sitting out in the yard next to the fence in the rain) so I thought that was a particularly apt model.

Instead of using a "greatest hits" picture for the display base I used the cover sheet for the Hubble Site/Ton intermediate model - the idea is to give those interested the info they need to download and build their own from Hubblesite.org. Base is just 3/8 inch particle board with a coathanger wire support running up the center of the Hubble bus, three extra bulkheads build in to stiffen the part and provide structure for the wire.

Also made sure I had handouts listing where every model on display could be found for free download or from Fiddler's Green.

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
08-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Good propaganda, Yogi! And a good opportunity to show your stuff. Non- paperbuilding people are apparently amazed what can be done with paper. I see you had a nice spot there, close to a very shiny Vought Cutlass. Before you were retired_for_now, were you a pilot yourself?

Retired_for_now
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Well, the Phobos-Grunt and Herschel space telescope projects are still fermenting, though the 1:48 scale JWST is up at the NASA JWST web site for download. The James Webb Space Telescope (http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/public.html) and follow the link for "make your own model" down the middle of the page.

Next one up?
Strong and regular with lots of fiber.

Yogi

jparenti
08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Looks like I picked a good time to show up finally. :)

Paper Kosmonaut
09-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Hmmmm... Do I see something that has had a bouncy ride? (-;

Retired_for_now
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Paper Kosmonaut is to blame for this one (and several days of continuous rain while the lawn goes to jungle). His Sojourner diorama is absolutely superb - but it looks a little lonely.
Aside - apparently from analyzing hi-res photos of the Pathfinder landing site from the Mars Global Observer they determined the station "died" before the rover. When Sojourner lost contact with the Sagan science station it went into a pre-programmed search and circled the station a couple of times before its own batteries died. Kinda sad ...
Anyway, prototype looks like this:

Could use work on the petal hinges, low-gain antenna mount detailing, imager calibration targets, and lots of wiring. If the petals are built to move (always problematic with paper structure) then the undersides would need to be detailed with the structure and airbag inflation gear. You could add the internals under the cover if you're really hard core (and you know who I'm talkin' to). Something for someone with more sustained concentration to attempt - any takers?
Diagrams and some internal documentation but I haven't done instructions yet.

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
09-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Nice! What material are the deflated balloons made of?

Retired_for_now
09-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Balloon piles are corners cut from the ubiquitous thin plastic shopping bag (OMG - the "P" word - well, everything else is paper ...). The local grocery stores will recycle them but I snagged a few - also good for packing models for transport (cribbed that tip from cmags or cgutzmer I - almost - recall).
Cut out the corner of a bag, set it point up so it's mostly circular, and squash down. Layer four underneath the four sections; tack/shape with tape if needed. Set model on top.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
09-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Mars Pathfinder mission set with the Sojourner rover & Sagan science station is posted in the real space downloads. Looking forward to any input on corrections or enhancements.
Yogi

surfduke
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't write as much as I used to. I had to comment on this great work, (Pathfinder), and also say your other small scale builds are works of art.

Carl, (Surfduke), Hewlett

Retired_for_now
09-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Carl. I'll certainly take any good words from a much more talented designer than I.

Yogi
(Anybody up for a group build thread on this one? Very interested in your ideas for detailing &etc.)

Paper Kosmonaut
09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey, That's a nice idea! Count me in. Where do I sign up?
...And nice to see you back on the forum, Carl!

jparenti
09-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Count me in. :) Hopefully I will be able to start building this weekend. I've been waiting for a good Pathfinder for a long time -- NASA's offering was too simplistic for my tastes.

Retired_for_now
09-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I'll start a thread with the Mars Pathfinder set prototype build and my usual blather and ruminations with the express intent of having anyone building along add to the commentary.

Yogi

surfduke
09-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I'll put my hat in with you guys. It's been awhile since I got sticky fingers.

Surfduke

Retired_for_now
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM
You're absolutely welcome, Carl. Started over here:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/9927-mars-pathfinder-cooperative-build-sojourner-sagan.html

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Is there a limited time? I mean: will the thread be "closed" at a certain time soon? I don't like to interrupt my build of my OWS before embarking on this build.
I'm mostly a kind of "one build at the time" guy.