PDA

View Full Version : Canon Apatosaurus

Gharbad
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Hoping to get back into things after a few months of nothing, I started the Apatosaurus from Canon:
Apatosaurus - Dinosaurs - Science - Paper CraftCanon CREATIVE PARK (http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3149/03315/index.html)

First off, it's gigantic, as you'll see from the photos. I printed it without thinking, and its length ended up being from my shoulder to the tips of my fingers.

Second, it was harder than I expected. Weird shapes with a lot of tabs meant I was just joining edges hoping something decent came out!

Turned out pretty good I think, though the thick black lines do show and his face isn't great.

No idea where I can keep it, it's pretty ridiculous. Sitting on the TV right now...

Photos featuring cmags new scale stuff, off in the distance there... ridiculous size :p

Edit:
Went and actually measured.. it's roughly 31"

rickstef
06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
NICE

I like it,

feeling like a paleontologist now?

Gharbad
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Rick

Though, I think the real paleontologist feeling comes from those OTDAEABT contests :)

cMags
06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Nice job! I hear ya on the size of Canon models. I always print them at half-scale or smaller. It's seems that Canon is trying to get us to use a whole set of cartridges per model! :eek: My Chinese Dragon would have been about 24" long had I not cut it in half. There were no tiny/fiddly bits, even at half scale.

One suggestion I've seen for things to do with big models like this is donate them to schools. They certainly have the space for displays like this and the kids would love it.

Retired_for_now
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Very nice job! Second cmags suggestion - you won't have to dust it (spouse here won't), you'll have an excuse to make another (likely have them screaming for more) and it'll stretch their little minds (and who's not up for brain stretching now and then).

Yogi

Gharbad
06-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I do live beside an elementary school... thanks for the idea guys. The compliments too!

dansls1
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Nice model!