PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Papermodel Vosper 72 in 1/100 scale

shamuscat
06-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum and to papermodeling in general. I am seeking information on the model above: Specifically, the hull construction.

I'm planning on using the kit as a pattern and to blow the patterns up from 1/100 to 1/32 and then cut out the paarts from sheet plastic. So I really need to know if this hull has as many lines as say the PT boat.

I'm also very interested in ships of the War between the States and the Royal navy in WWII.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts on this. Guidence is ALWAYS very welcome.

Best,

Jeff

RogerP
06-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Hello from OZ,

Without getting the two models out and measuring I would say they are quite similar, but I would also say go right ahead. I'm not sure why you need to compare the two.

This is something I always do with the card models I buy as my preferred scale is 1/144th. You see Coastal Forces is 'my thing' and rescaling card models is easy. The percentage ratio to use is very easy -- 100 divided by 32 X 100 is 312.5%. What I also do is ascertain how long the model needs to be as I have found using the percentage is always accurate. This is the perdantic Piscean coming out.

In this case the Pro-Model kit is the 72'6" Vosper and the formular I use is to establish how long the deck needs to be is -- 72.5 X 304.8 (the number if millimetres in a foot) divided by the scale you want, in this case 32 = 690.5mm. If you divide this number by 25.4 (the number of mm per inch) the 690.5mm equates to 27.18".

Pretty impressive size. I plan to do a 70' Vosper in 35th scale using the same card kit and diagrams from the excellent Allied Coastal Forces vol II book. One thing I have noticed with rescaling card kits is to go in stages to minimise distortion.

From the card kit I would suggest photocopy the parts to 72nd scale first then photocopy those parts to 32nd scale.

I do hope I haven't bewildered or confused you too much. If you wish further assistance, don't hesitate in getting in touch.

Cheers,
Roger Pearson.
Bendigo, Australia.
+61 3 54478693. any time, I'm retired.
debrogerp@ hotmail.com -- my email.