PDA

View Full Version : Lro

Dyna-Soar
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Even though I'm on vacation, I always take a few models to work on. Since today marked LRO going into orbit around the moon, I thought I'd do something to commemorate the event.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/P1010161.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/P1010159.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/P1010160.jpg

redhorse
06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Even though I'm on vacation, I always take a few models to work on.

You too, huh? Looks great!

Retired_for_now
06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Very nice - is the build stock or did you enhance?

Yogi

(still on telescopes - current "race to the moon" may be next)

Dyna-Soar
06-23-2009, 07:23 PM
It's prettty much a stock build, I may do another build with gold and silver foil in the future.

Retired_for_now
06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
"Pretty much?" I just pulled that one down (and pix of the associated impactor) and it's on my list. Nice to see you finished it out so well.

I've found the NASA/JPL/etc models always seem to need a few added details (equipment boxes, antennae, momentum wheels, star trackers, ashtrays, cup holders, fuzzy dice, beer coolers ... you know, the essentials).

Did the Kepler stock (pretty nice design actually)

and with the adds

Dyna-Soar
06-23-2009, 09:19 PM
On the subject of space telescopes, one of my possible models for this trip was the Webb Telescope (of which your build was fantastic!). Its primary mirrors were actually ground in my hometown.

Retired_for_now
06-23-2009, 09:34 PM
PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you my James Webb redo (download section won't post powerpoint - hope you can pull up a .ppt, 900Kb file).
Yogi

cdavenport
06-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I found a website that says the moon landings were faked! Boy, was I surprised. I lived in Fla as a kid and saw all that machinery going into space. Now, I wonder what it was all for!

Am I correct in recalling that the LRO will have sufficient resolution to get shots of all the fake moon landers etc? If I recall correctly, we may be getting a few calls from NASA for models of the lunar rover and LEM launch stands so they can fake those pictures!

jparenti
06-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Looks good! I saw the model the other day and haven't had a chance to build it yet.
Did you have any trouble with the instructions? Some people were saying they needed pictures to finish it out, because some of the directions were a little ambiguous. I have some three-view orthographic drawings of the LRO in stowed and deployed configuration, too, so if the instructions are a pain, I can always fall back on that. :D

Dyna-Soar
06-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I just nixed the instructions for the most part and looked up a photo online.

Retired_for_now
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Just printed out the LRO (had to copy the pdf and paste into another page to get the edges to print, then reduced to 1:48 from the original's 1:30). Working up the numbers for the LCROSS and Centaur impactors before I start - seems incomplete without them. Couldn't find a good Centaur stage to kit-bash. A few good pictures on the mission site and in the press kit.

So far: RL-10 nozzle cone 3' and 1' diameter 4.5' tall; bottom of Centaur cone 2' and 10' diameter, 3.5' tall; Centaur body cylinder 10' dia by 24' tall (need to surf around for the graphics - Atlas logo, mission logo, flag); upper cone 10' and 5' dia by 3' tall; payload adapter cylinder 5' dia by 2.5' tall (will have to make sure the bottom of the LCROSS cylinder will slip inside); LCROSS main body cylinder 5' dia by 8' tall - central 4' section marked off with graphics for actual payload; six panels - solar array 4' square, instrument mounting panels 3' wide by 2' tall, panels stand off 1' from central cylinder - thinking about how robust to make the model brackets (cut out struts or panels with printed struts); instrument details from picture (will eyeball the boxes & etc. as I draw), need to relook the LCROSS cylinder as the payload appears to be just the central 2' of the cylinder, not 4', could be some transition pieces looking at the pictures - TBD; then ensure the top will slip fit into the bottom of the NASA model. Almost time to start drawing.

I usually use the photos to modify the 3-D details on these models as well.

Yogi

Chthulhu
06-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Would someone be kind enough to post a link to the model's source? I haven't seen it, and "LRO" seems to be too short of a search term to work here.

Edit: Never mind.
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index.php?/archives/42-LRO-spacecraft-model-now-available!.html

Retired_for_now
06-27-2009, 10:47 AM
. Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter . (http://lro.gsfc.nasa.gov/education.html)

Usually they post these at the mission site. Start with NASA main, find the missions index page, select mission, then look on the NASA page for the link to the mission team (Goddard, JPL, various Universities and Labs). If there's a model it's usually posted on the education/outreach tab. I've found a lot with Google - but lots of chaff to sort through.

Yogi

jparenti
06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
See, I couldn't figure out why they left LCROSS out of the model. I mean, what's greater for public relations than orbiting the moon?
Why, crashing into it, of course! :D

If needed:

Retired_for_now
06-28-2009, 03:49 PM
D-S, jp,
Still working on the LCROSS stack. It's drawn up but still needs a few graphics tweaks and some more obvious 3-D adds. I now know why they probably didn't do an LCROSS model, six panels on four sets of support struts each with an average of three "thingies" on the back of each panel. Sometimes I wonder why I'm working at 1:48 instead of larger (oh yeah, inertia 'cause I started on the satellite series at 1:48 with Ton's Pioneer 10).
Currently on break (caffeinating) from that build. So far: fuel tank, LCROSS can (bus), three panels.

Yogi

APA-168
06-28-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm working on a 1:72 Atlas V that will include a Centaur upper stage for anyone interested in doing the LCROSS. I was planning on doing the LRO/LCROSS rocket anyways, so all you have to do is add the LCROSS and LRO payloads. I may also release the Centaur in 1:48 if there's interest in it.

Zathros
06-28-2009, 06:37 PM
You going to get tired holding it in low orbit like that:)
Nice Job!

Retired_for_now
06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Dyna-Soar, jparenti, APA-168,
Dropped the simple LCROSS stack to the real space download section. Let me know what you think.
Yogi

jparenti
06-29-2009, 11:30 PM
All right! Can't wait to get it downloaded and get started. (Must wait for it to be approved first by the moderators, I think...)