PDA

View Full Version : VF-1 Valkyrie

Pages : [1] 2

Getter 1
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Hello All,

I am posting a few pics here of the VF-1 Valkyrie I further developed of Shunichi Makino's VF-1S model.

I did quite an extensive thread on zealot but I dread the thought of trying to re-create that thread. All the models are still avaliable there for those not banned :P

For those who don't know what the VF-1 Valkyrie is, it's a variable form Fighter that transforms into a robot and a robot plane hybrid for specific fighing requirements. Shunichi had designed a Fighter and Gerwalk (robot-plane hybrid) but not the Battroid (robot mode). I detailed up the Fighter mode and re-designed most of the Gerwalk. I also designed the missing Battroid mode. The project grew and grew and the landing gear and codkpit as well as many more details were made.

Janx designed all the weapons and super armor system accessories for this project. I couldn't have done it without him ;) He also re-drew the BMP files I did in vector and added decal enhancements for greater detail.

Hope you all enjoy the pics.

G1

Getter 1
06-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Here's some pics of the cockpits and the 2 seat variant. Note all these are prototype models.

G1

Getter 1
06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Some more of Janx's Super pak parts.

G1

Getter 1
06-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Here we have pix of my 1st non proto build. It's the VF-1A Max type.

Armed with the standard GU-11 Gunpod and the AMM-1 Missiles.

This build also features a clear canopy and cockpit garnished with a pilot figure designed by Janx.

I have the other 2 modes still to build on this one but I'm tied up with test building other project ATM :p

G1

Getter 1
06-25-2009, 11:13 PM
A few more shots of the Max VF-1A.

G1

René
06-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Hello getter1,

nice to have you here in this friendly forum. I´ve been in this "other f." and seen all your works there.

Your models are great and inspiring.
So i hope you will stay here for long and enjoy all of us with mor of your models.

René

Janx
06-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Its treating us really well.

Getter 1 I can post some of the files up as and when. I have put the armour on hold for now though.

Getter 1
06-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey Janx,

Test building of the armor is on hold here to for now as well. Too much going on to even model :(

G1

marksolo
06-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey Janx, Getter1 what kind of glues are you two using?

Your builds are so sharp and clean.

What are your secrets?

ARMORMAN
06-27-2009, 09:15 AM
G1, welcome!

Have you uploaded the models to the downloads section?

Phil
06-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Awesome job Getter 1!

Getter 1
06-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Janx, yeah we should give the download section a boost with these ;)

MS, I use mostly White Elmers Glue applied with a toothpick. I had posted several tips on the VF-1 thread over at zealot but I can't go copy the post now :P

AM, thanks and Janx will handle the uploads as I am still a dial up user :P

Phil, Thanks for the compliment :D

G1

Janx
06-28-2009, 04:03 AM
oh the pain of uploading 30+ models all over again, be patient obiwan I will get round to it.

grossy
06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Janx G1

I'm glad you've moved this thread over here,I was getting bored with no updates.
Keep up the good work,and I can't wait to see the Armoured Packs.

grossy

Stev0
06-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Hey Janx,

Test building of the armor is on hold here to for now as well. Too much going on to even model :(

G1

Key thing here is patience. I have waited since the cartoon has been around for an acceptable model of a VF fighter and it came.

I can wait a lil longer...

:D

Getter 1
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
oh the pain of uploading 30+ models all over again, be patient obiwan I will get round to it.

No no no I told you already, not Obiwan.

G1

Getter 1
06-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Hello All,

I just added the 1st of MANY Vf-1 models to the DL section waiting for aproval.

G1

Golden Bear
06-28-2009, 06:58 PM
All right, G, I'm not at all a fan of modeling giant robots but this is very fine. A bird chirped in my ear and told me to get off my a$$ (ass that is) and check it out. Good modeling and good execution. Thanks for dragging this along over with you. Very nice.

Carl

Getter 1
06-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Hey GB,

Glad you stopped by here :D A compliment from you means a lot. I've admired a lot of your work back on the other forum. Hee hee you should at least download the file I put up and take a look at it ;) You could always just build it in Fighter mode :D

Looks like the admin. approved the file in the download section so the 1st installment is up. Only like 30 more to go plus accessories :P

G1

Getter 1
07-05-2009, 02:06 AM
Hello All,

Janx has got the Battroid armor to a sate of testing so I built a VF-1J Hikaru type for the armor testing. I had hoped to get started on the armor parts tonight but the Battroid took a bit longer than I hoped it would. Here are a couple shots of the Battroid. Still needs hands but that won't halt the armor so I'll be on that 1st thing in the morning :D

This is the 1st non proto Battroid I've built so far.

G1

Janx
07-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Just added a few more VF-1s to the downloads, apologies to the Admins for the list.

Included

VF-1D max Myria Type from virgin Road TV Episode.
VF-1A Max Blue TV version
VF-1A Ben Dixon/Hayao Kakizaki TV version
VF-1A Standard " Cannon Fodder" TV version
VF-1A Darkbird Spec Ops TV Version
VF-1A UN Guard TV version
VF-1J Max Blue TV version
VF-1J Myria Red TV version

There are more to upload but I'd better give the guys a rest :)

TLHarrell
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey Janx, Getter1, fantastic build on these. I've done a couple of the Shunichi model and really like them, but was wanting a little more detail. These are perfect. I was sad to see the whole ugly mess over at "that other site" and was happy to move over here and find you moving this along. Keep up the awesomeness.

I have one minor request, for those of us who don't know the specific models by name, and those who don't want to download every file to sort through them, would it be possible to get thumbnails for each file in the DL section? (No rush or anything, just a "want list" item.) Maybe those who have built one can submit a small pic to use...

Getter 1
07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
TLHarrell,

Glad you made it over here and that you like the Valks :) I added pictures to the files I upladed but only the uploader can do that so I was only able to do that for 3 models. Janx would need to do the ones he added.

G1

Janx
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Noted and images added, sadly I dont have images of too many completed models to use, so if any one out there has some they want to show then post em here.

cybrsqrl
07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Okay. It took me awhile, but here is my finished build. Now all I have to do is build it again in gerwalker, and fighter mode with and without the fast packs and armor and all the other color schemes! LOL.

Getter 1
07-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Take a bow my friend :D Very well done ;)

I hear ya on having to do it all over again. I still need to build Max's VF-1A in Gerwalk and Battroid :P

G1

TLHarrell
07-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the images Janx. Clears up a lot about which is which. I wanna build a few of these, especially with the super packs!

Janx
07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Lovely Build Cybr! a bow is indeed in order :D

No problem at all TLH, it was a sensible suggestion, not surprising I didn't think of it :)

TLHarrell
07-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Just waiting for the ink to dry on the VF-1J Myria TV Type Red Valkyrie. I'm going to start this one up on my bench so I have something to do when I'm burnt out on CAD. Will toss out a build pic from time to time. Building as Veritech mode.

Unikron
07-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Cybrsqrl fantastic job!!!

The Orange
07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Just checked out the templates, and I'm planning to give a try at the fodder variant just because I'm not a fan of custom skull decals. The vents on the VF-1A Cannon Fodder are missing in the left thigh (?) It's not really a big deal but I was planning to do something with it ;)

Janx
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Ta I'll try to sort the prob, if you see any more errors let me know :)

Getter 1
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Hello All,

Been test building on Janx's armor parts for the Battroid models. All went very well except for some issues with the leg armor now being sorted by Janx so I didn't build the right leg armor yet.

Thought some of you would like to see new development on this project though there's not too much more to do now :P

Note the armor is removable ;)

Enjoy,
G1

hawkman67
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Wow! way cool, that looks sweet. Always did like the sumo wrestler looks of it,lol

Getter 1
07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
HM,

Didn't take pic of it but the missile hatches open up and of course there are little missiles to build to :P

BTW I gave Janx the go ahead on your request ;) Certian conditions apply of course.

G1

Stev0
07-09-2009, 11:17 PM
HM,

Didn't take pic of it but the missile hatches open up and of course there are little missiles to build to :P...

G1

:eek: pewps self :eek:

Getter 1
07-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Steve,

Had you in mind when I posted the pix since you were waiting on the armor. Janx did a real nice job on the parts. Easy to build to :D

G1

hawkman67
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
G1; Thankx on the request, my friend. I look forward to getting it! the armor set keeps sounding very impressive!
Regards, HM

Getter 1
07-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Hello All,

Ok, leg armor was tweaked and still needs one more tiny change. I re-built the one leg and the other side for completeness :P Opps just remembered the hands still need to be built :P

Janx has made a few other tweaks here and there and is nearly done. Won't be long now ;)

G1

ltla9000311
07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Man Getter that looks great! Thanks to both you and Janx for the work on these models!:)

Stev0
07-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah this is looking most excellent.

*claps*

Janx
07-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Quick update on the armour, this is an image of the standard TV version build so far. Just sorting the instructions and DYRL recolour then will post up on downloads..

sorry for the poor quality of the image.

Getter 1
07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Janx to say that looks great is an understatement ;) So much better than my un colored proto build :P

G1

marksolo
07-25-2009, 07:37 PM
awesome! amazing! fabulous! not that you have not heard of all that before :)

geez, how can you two build these things so fast? it takes me a week to do a limb, and i am not even married

ltla9000311
07-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah I don't think either Getter or Janx sleep!

Getter 1
07-26-2009, 07:57 PM
I do sleep, probably build in my sleep though :P

G1

marksolo
07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Well Getter and Janx are cranking out free gifts to mankind faster than I can think of new ways of saying thanks

If Arafat was good enough for the Nobel Peace Prize, surely these two deserved it more?

ltla9000311
07-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Well Getter and Janx are cranking out free gifts to mankind faster than I can think of new ways of saying thanks

If Arafat was good enough for the Nobel Peace Prize, surely these two deserved it more?

"Bully, BULLY marksolo"

marksolo
07-27-2009, 08:23 AM
what? did i say something wrong? sorry if i offended any arab friends, did not mean to....

ok, so Arafat did deserve the Nobel?

ok, forget politics, lets stick to modeling

Janx
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
lol don't worry about it Marksolo :) thanks for the kind words. I have just remembered about the files too, I'll try to sort those for you soon.

Not started the pdf instructions yet but will get to them soon.

marksolo
07-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks Janx,
my own VF1J Battroid is still ~10 days away from becoming operational

but i am sure plenty other builders are itching to start on this one.

ltla9000311
07-28-2009, 12:00 AM
what? did i say something wrong? sorry if i offended any arab friends, did not mean to....

ok, so Arafat did deserve the Nobel?

ok, forget politics, lets stick to modeling

No MS you didn't offend anyone, bully was used as a call of agreement in the OLD days.:p

marksolo
07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
From bully - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bully)

Main Entry:1bulˇly http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bully#)Pronunciation:\ˈbu̇-lē, ˈbə-\ Function:noun 15381archaic a: sweetheart (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sweetheart) b: a fine chap

haha, this must be British humor.

Now I can laugh about it too, thanks

marksolo
08-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Finally finished my first battroid, at 50% size, roughly 1/144 I guess.

You can tell I was getting lazy and starting to cut corners but the time I got to the gun pod.

But who sayz plastic and paper cant get along?

Getter 1
08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
MS,

That's a mighty fine build there ;) Being 50% is a very impressive feat to :D

G1

marksolo
08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments Getter1, and from the master himself too.
O yes!

Janx
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
very impressive, the revoltech figs give you a good idea of the scale, you have made a superb model, retracting wings too!

marksolo
08-02-2009, 05:41 PM
oh no, Asuka and Rei are not Revoltech, they are Micronauts, not even 4 inchs tall.

marksolo
08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Here is a size comparison with a Revoltech Zentradi Battlepod,
I think the scale worked out quite nicely.

I am running out of shelve space so I have to think small. Naturally I could not use the normal joints so I went with tiny pins made from stables instead. Most of them are too loose, but I think I can improve on it next time.

One of the pics was inspired by an old For Your Eyes Only movie poster :)
Too bad I could not get the focus right after several tries.

Getter 1
08-02-2009, 09:57 PM
MS,

I like the shots with the battlepod :D

For joints at that size I would go with replacing the pins with sections of toothpicks. Also try to put a bit of super glue in the holes and let dry to reinforce the holes before inserting the pins. That should tighten things up and make for longer lasting joints ;)

G1

marksolo
08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
hm.... thanks for the tips. Will try that on the VF1S

grosso996
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
muy bueno me agrada

marksolo
08-03-2009, 09:49 AM
muchas gracias, mi amigo

marksolo
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/673/vf1s_03.jpg

Ok ok, another VF1S, how boring, I know, but I am still playing the catch up game.

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/673/medium/vf1s_02.JPG

If there is any consolation, this one was unique in the sense that it was built without using a hair dryer, so it was environmentally done!

Love these VF1s but I need to take a break here and work on something else before I come back

ThunderChild
08-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Nicely done! :D Can't get enough of those VT's!

gian7675
08-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Followed you guys(janx and Getter1) here from that other forum...I'm really glad that marksolo pointed me to this site and found you guys again :)

I wanna cry! The Valkyries, battroids, super packs, weapons pods and GBP Armour all look great, I wanna build them!

But I'm having a problem...weird thing is my PC is always asking me for a password on these build whenever I open them up with ADOBEPHOTOSHOPE CS3 Extended V.10

The other files that I've downloaded went fine...I'm only having problems with the MACROSS stuff...

Help! :confused:

Btw, any chance you can add some landing gears details? I'm sure other peeps would also want to display them parked :-)

This is what I always get:
================================================== =
PDF SECURITY PASSWORD:

Please Enter the Document Permissions Password to remove the restrictions

I'm really stumped :confused:

jaeike
08-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Followed you guys(janx and Getter1) here from that other forum...I'm really glad that marksolo pointed me to this site and found you guys again :)

I wanna cry! The Valkyries, battroids, super packs, weapons pods and GBP Armour all look great, I wanna build them!

But I'm having a problem...weird thing is my PC is always asking me for a password on these build whenever I open them up with ADOBEPHOTOSHOPE CS3 Extended V.10

The other files that I've downloaded went fine...I'm only having problems with the MACROSS stuff...

Help! :confused:

Btw, any chance you can add some landing gears details? I'm sure other peeps would also want to display them parked :-)

This is what I always get:
PDF SECURITY PASSWORD:

Please Enter the Document Permissions Password to remove the restrictions

I'm really stumped :confused:
These files are password protected. If you open them up with Acrobat Reader, you should be fine.

As for the landing gear, they are available in the detail parts set here:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=154

Happy building! :)

gian7675
08-20-2009, 05:53 PM
These files are password protected. If you open them up with Acrobat Reader, you should be fine.

As for the landing gear, they are available in the detail parts set here:

PaperModelers.com - Downloads - VF-1 Detail Parts (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=154)

Happy building! :)

EEEeeeeppp!!! I see the drawings! I can see the drawings!!!!! :eek:

Thanks thanks thanks for the clarification. :D

wrrrr....wrrr.....wrrr....zzzttt...zzztttt..zzzttt (this is the sound of the printer printing the plans)

Thanks thanks! :)

Getter 1
08-21-2009, 12:37 AM
MS,

Mighty fine build there :D :D :D

Oh if you call the VF-1S boring again I will wash your mouth out with soap! Don't think I won't do it either ;)

Let's see more. I'ld do more myself but the bosses (designers) are keeping me way busy :P

G1

marksolo
08-21-2009, 08:34 AM
thanks for all the compliments, they are always appreciated

i am still not happy with how the nose cone turned out though so sooner or later I would have to build another one, in this scale or other scale.

ThunderChild
08-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Sorry G1...

Getter 1
08-22-2009, 01:41 PM
MS,

Well you do know we are our own worst critics as we know everywhere we messed up and that buggs :P

TC,

Don't be, I'm not ;)

G1

marksolo
08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
well, hard to believe you can find faults with your own builds too, G1 they look quite immaculate. any way, the VF1s are well designed so it is hard to really really mess it up.

Janx
08-24-2009, 12:11 PM
lol I dunno I have a darn good go at screwing them up every time I make one.

marksolo
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
you too Janx? not that I or any one else believes you

we need to have a most 'spectacular failure' competition one of these days

legal01
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi There, great models by the way, just need to know, are the weapons downloadable as i can't seem to find them on the downloads section.

BTW i have downloaded the VF-1A and increased its size by 20% and once I have finished I will load the results.
Cheers
JP

marksolo
08-24-2009, 02:30 PM
the weapons is at this link i think

PaperModelers.com - Downloads - VF-1 Weapons Set (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=156)

legal01
08-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the help, would never have found it on my own!
Cheers
JP

legal01
08-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi there

am busy with the Vf1D but it seems that the canopy that comes with the down load if for a single seater and not the two seater, is that right or am i missing something here?
Thank
JP

marksolo
08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
i am still clearing my workbench so I can start to build the VF1D, but just by looking at the files it seems VF1D's canopy IS longer than the standard version.

What makes you think there is someting wrong with the canopy?

Stev0
08-26-2009, 07:01 PM
VT1D should look awesome.

Getter 1
08-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Indeed the VF-1D is a 2 seater hence the linger canopy. The Battroid body differs some to as it doesn't have that "neck well".

Now don't forget there's a D cockpit to ;)

G1

legal01
08-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi There

I accept that in the main print document it is correct but on the detailed parts it is the same size as the single seater canopy. That is the one that I was referring to. Have done screen shots and put one against the other and they are the same size.

Am busy tweaking the existing canopy for the detailed page to make it bigger.
Thanks
JP

Getter 1
08-27-2009, 12:39 AM
legal01,

I see the problem there. The inner frame of the A,J,S is present on the D detail sheet. Janx re-did the layout I had done and it seems he got the wrong frame on the D sheet.

Janx,

Need to amend that one :P

G1

57townsman
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey Guys,

Did the armored parts set ever get released? The build pics looked awesome but I never saw a notice and they aren't in the downloads yet.

SteveK

Getter 1
08-27-2009, 08:00 PM
57TM,

Not yet. All's left is the instructions. Janx did the parts and I'll be whipping up the instructions in the next day or so as he's a bit burnt :P I'll get those done soon and he'll then pretty em up ;)

G1

Janx
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry about the canopies, too many versions of the same files, old ones deleted. New files uploaded, also included in the zip are the pilots.

Mind if I attach a few images of the detail parts for the Down load Getter?

Have fun :)

Janx
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
VF-1J Ferris pattern added to Downloads

hawkman67
08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Woo Hoo!!! very cool looking one. Thanx Janz,And Getter1 been waiting for this one for a long time.
Jeff

marksolo
08-28-2009, 01:59 PM
wow, a gray color scheme, looks great.

good job guys

Fargo
08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
well... you guys are great :) all your efforts have provided us with something outstanding, so now is my turn to bow to you! keep up the good work!
last year I made a gift to myself... this one (I'm in love with it): Yamato 1/60 VF-1S strike valkyriehttp://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6547/p1000386u.jpg

I know, I know... it's... plastic.... anyway, Japanese company Yamato has come a long way since its first attempts concerning a transformable VF-1 (10 years ago more or less). this one is a "perfect transformation" (PT) model. well... one of my dreams would be to succeed in building a PT valk using our favourite material: PAPER! :D I was wondering if you guys (Getter & Janx) have never thought about that possibility.

another dream is this: http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/037/3/a/Shinsei_Industry_VF_25S_by_bagera3005.png specially the S version VF-25 Ozma | anime live (http://animelive.exteen.com/20080713/vf-25-ozma)
I love this one :o but it's quite impossible to find some accurate line arts and orthogonal projection even to start a sketch... not to mention the total lack of time :rolleyes:

Getter 1
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Janx,

Like you need my permission for anything :P Of course you can add pix for the downloads :D

Wait till I show you guys the scheme I had Janx do for me. It's smokin :D

Fargo,

Thanks for the compliments. The Yamato ver. is very nice :D The paper models are a cheaper alternative and are ment to be basic without being too basic :P Janx has been working on a more advanced VF-1 from time to time. Perhaps he would share some shots ;) As for the VF-25 a model can be found here,

SD-SASCHA Bastelbögen - Deutsch (http://urashiman.kilu.de/site/dtl-paper.html)

His models are cool but can be quite hard to build due to his design style. I've only seen the 1st episode of Macross Frontier so far but I do like what I see. I wasn't too keen on the VF-25 before but after seing it in action it's grown on me a bit. I still like the VF-27 better ;)

G1

marksolo
08-28-2009, 04:39 PM
not mean to flame any one, but IMHO, transformable toys are overrated,

i own a Yamato VF1J PT myself, with armor, and I can count with one hand the actual number of times I have it transformed. My blood pressure is too high for me to do much more than that, now it is neatly packed MINT in a safe and secure location, along with a zillion other macross plastic toys or models, that's about as much action as it gets

my paper valks however, does serveral "sorties" a day, you can drop them without getting a heart attack, (be sure to reinforce the nose with hard objects though)

you can weather them, modify them, do all the things you wouldn't do to your 'plastic' thingys while sober, heck, I plan to do a VF1A with bullet holes and other battle damages,

but there is more,
there is something about building a mecha out of paper, I can't describe it, its gets into your blood or something, it is just a great feeling :)

Fargo
08-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Fargo,

Thanks for the compliments. The Yamato ver. is very nice :D The paper models are a cheaper alternative and are ment to be basic without being too basic :P Janx has been working on a more advanced VF-1 from time to time. Perhaps he would share some shots ;) As for the VF-25 a model can be found here,

SD-SASCHA Bastelbögen - Deutsch (http://urashiman.kilu.de/site/dtl-paper.html)

His models are cool but can be quite hard to build due to his design style. I've only seen the 1st episode of Macross Frontier so far but I do like what I see. I wasn't too keen on the VF-25 before but after seing it in action it's grown on me a bit. I still like the VF-27 better ;)

G1

eheh! very well than, I'll wait for some pix :)

as regards that vf-25, thank you! I know that model (downloaded it some time ago but never planned anything yet), it's good. to be honest I was searching for an accurate anime lineart in all the 3 configurations (I don't like the new 1/60 Bandai DX line, it's the new chunky-monkey ;)), just to have a hint in order to draw some sketches with rhino...

not mean to flame any one, but IMHO, transformable toys are overrated,

i own a Yamato VF1J PT myself, with armor, and I can count with one hand the actual number of times I have it transformed. My blood pressure is too high for me to do much more than that, now it is neatly packed MINT in a safe and secure location, along with a zillion other macross plastic toys or models, that's about as much action as it gets

my paper valks however, does serveral "sorties" a day, you can drop them without getting a heart attack, (be sure to reinforce the nose with hard objects though)

you can weather them, modify them, do all the things you wouldn't do to your 'plastic' thingys while sober, heck, I plan to do a VF1A with bullet holes and other battle damages,

but there is more,
there is something about building a mecha out of paper, I can't describe it, its gets into your blood or something, it is just a great feeling :)

hi han-SORRY-marksolo :D agree with you! Yamato and their QC issues... long story, as well as the price :eek: that's why the "paper choice", as you said. hoping for a PT paper VF-1 is almost an utopy, due to that "little" anime magic problem, but it wouldn't be the same for a VF-25, being it a 3d-designed-and-animated plane from the beginning. it'd be awesome :cool:

marksolo
08-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah that pretty much sums up, Fargo. I enjoyed Macross Frontier, but among all the Macross sequels, I still like Macross 7 the best, and for some reason, I liked VF11's simple lines more than the super complicated VF25s, my head spins every time I look at one in battroid form.

Must be what they called 'generation gap' i am too old to keep up

a long long time ago, i was the only marksolo, and I registered on yahoo, now there are so many marksolo running around its not even funny any more :( but that's off topic

ARMORMAN
08-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I rather liked Macross Plus myself....

Getter 1
08-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I rather liked Macross Plus myself....

Oh Yeah!!! YF-21 :D :D :D Didn't care much for the YF-19 though.

MS I'm with you on the VF-11 ;)

The VF-25 is rather nice in Fighter mode but the Battroid looks too spindly for my taste. Now the armored option being able to transform is rather cool.

G1

Fargo
08-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Now the armored option being able to transform is rather cool.

QUOTE!!! :D
the GBP armor for vf-1 (even if your model is great!) looks like michelin's man :p
http://www.numeroventi.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/bibendum.jpghttp://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/15999/499179-vf_1j_battroid_gbp_1s_large.jpg

yeah, the 11 is a great plane, but I'm not with you for the 21. The 25 is "skinny", you're right... and I think that's why I like it: it gives me a feeling of agility (and kawamori designed it so thin because of the huge armor pack :cool:)

Getter 1
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Fargo,

Ahh that's where our taste differs it seems. I like brick house mechs. Who needs agility when you can hit me all you want and I laugh it off :P Suits with so much power that they only need to hit you once now that's what I'm talkin about :D

Well all said I still think there's no more beautiful a Valk as the VF-2S from Macross II. Janx did a fantastic model I had the pleasure of test building for him.

G1

Fargo
08-29-2009, 03:10 PM
that's cool!!! I saw the other thread and I remained speechless (too bad for the story of Macross II, IMHO)... and... is it convertible?

Getter 1
08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Fargo,

Yeah it's a shame Macross II was rejected overall. Truly a shame since it has the best designs of all Macross shows. THe story line and designs were a very logical progression IMO.

The model is not convertable but modular so it can be built in any of the 3 modes. I simply taped the components together for the shots but the build will be locked in Fighter mode and I'll give it a coat of paint since it was so much work I won't toss it :P

Janx did such a good job on it if someone puts enough effort into it they could make it transform but IMO transforming kits are overrated and become too floppy quickly. Plastic kits are bad enough bout becoming floppy and paper are worse as they becoe floppy before you're even finished builing it :P

G1

ThunderChild
08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
My 2c, I love all the valks, the 25 is in my top 3, but my all time fave it seems will always be the VF-1s, Skull leader. Be it RT or Macross.

2nd place goes to the 2S...

PS- Can't wait to get my hands on that puppy Janx, G1! :D

marksolo
08-29-2009, 05:02 PM
O yeah, the VF2 does look prettier than I remembered it.

That one will be high on the priority list.

Didn't G1 and Janx also have an alpha fighter too in the other forum?
That one is cool too, might as well add it to our endless requests :rolleyes:
Should we start a new thread for that as well?

Getter 1
08-29-2009, 05:40 PM
MS,

Indeed there is an Alpha Fighter designed by Janx. It was his debut on zealot if I recall correctly. It was the 1st model of his I built to.

Here's his Alpha compared to the Robotech Masterpiece ver. They came out the same size. The Masterpiece toy is good but the quality doesn't justify the cost one bit :( It als has the same problem every transforming Alpha has, the legs come out from under it too far to be accurate to the lineart in Fighter mode. I know Janx is re-working the Alpha so it can be made into the other 2 modes as this particular model was a Fighter mode only.

G1

marksolo
08-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Simply beautiful. What strikes me most about these paper models is how they bring the TV show to live, it looks as if it flew straight out of the TV screen, only with more details that are well drawn

(in those days hand drawn animation had a lot of flaws)

Anyway, thanks for showing these pics again, I am sure a lot of people haven't seen those yet.

Getter 1
08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah the Alpha is in the top 3 all time favorite mechs on my list. The #1 spot also come from Mospeada.

G1

marksolo
08-29-2009, 10:21 PM
dang, you already have one of those baby G1?

after all these years, the Ride Armor is still high on the coolness scale

Fargo
08-30-2009, 07:45 AM
It als has the same problem every transforming Alpha has, the legs come out from under it too far to be accurate to the lineart in Fighter mode. G1

(in those days hand drawn animation had a lot of flaws)

yes, that's the saddest and most disappointing part/problem with these models :( hand-drawed anime had a special "taste" indeed, but new 3d-based shows have a lot of arrows in their quiver and issues like wrong proportions changing from one configuration to another shouldn't be a problem anymore... maybe... :D

anyway, VF-2S is great!!! very good job!!! are you going to do something about the SAP?
http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macross2/vf-2ss-sap/vf-2ss-sap-fighter.gif

(taking part to this thread is igniting in me a growing wish to challenge myself with a variable VF-25S... no-no-no, I can't!!!)

Getter 1
08-30-2009, 11:49 AM
MS,

Oh yeah I was waiting on pins and needles for the release of the Masterpiece Cyclone :D Too bad I can't afford the other one ATM :P My only complaint is the lower legs are a bit too slim for me. Also the Robotech release has a different head than the Japanese ver. The Robotech ver. I think is re-styled to match how Scott Berand looks in the Shadow Chronicles.

Fargo,

Janx had mentioned the "possiblility" of the SAP but we'll see.

Well the Cyclone being my #1 here's my #2 favorite. Can you guess what it it?

G1

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/l-gaim/l-gaim/l-gaim.jpg

legal01
08-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Stupid question I guess, everyone keeps referring to Zealot, who are what is that?

Next question, I would like to make amendments to one of the master documents for upload here, a few alterantions in design etc to build the VF-1X etc. HOw can I get access to the documents that are not pdf?

Thanks
JP

Getter 1
08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Stupid question I guess, everyone keeps referring to Zealot, who are what is that?

Next question, I would like to make amendments to one of the master documents for upload here, a few alterantions in design etc to build the VF-1X etc. HOw can I get access to the documents that are not pdf?

Thanks
JP

Not a stupid questiona t all. Zealot was the other paper forum many of us were on till it was bought out and the new owners destroyed it so we moved over to here.

As for the non PDFs, we are not making them avaliable but the VF-1X has been done already.

Janx has not finished uploading all the files yet but I will upload the VF-1X in just a minute so wait for it to be approved ;) I need to review what all is left to upload anyway.

G1

Getter 1
08-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Added the VF-1X to the downloads. Just waiting on the mods to approve.

Here's the build I did of the VF-1X Prototype. Jnax enhanced the grafix since this model so the file you get will have some more details than the one in the pix.

I would've done a cockpit but I don't think I had designed it before building this one :P

G1

Janx
08-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I Kinda lost track I know the Minmay Guard and VF-1Jx Prototype are to be uploaded. I will try to remember tomorrow.

Getter 1
08-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I Kinda lost track I know the Minmay Guard and VF-1Jx Prototype are to be uploaded. I will try to remember tomorrow.

I'll nail a note to your forehaed :P

G1

cobalt64
08-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Good work! I have recently started to make the paper model. I hope that I can make nice models like you do!

marksolo
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Hey G1, what kind of mech is it? I actually dont recognize that one.

I didn't know they have a different head for the Robotech version. The legs are slim for the ride armor all, but looks ok in bike mode I think. I have a couple of the CMS ride armor and the legs looks to thick in bike mode, (front view). Its hard to have the best in both worlds.

57townsman
08-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Getter,

Thanks for the update. I didn't intend to rush you, just wanted to make sure the project wasn't dropped without me knowing :D

SteveK

57TM,

Not yet. All's left is the instructions. Janx did the parts and I'll be whipping up the instructions in the next day or so as he's a bit burnt :P I'll get those done soon and he'll then pretty em up ;)

G1

Stev0
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Looks to be GMP Autonomous Unit used to assist Global Military Police forces during the post Macross era.

Getter 1
08-31-2009, 06:45 PM
MS, Steve0,

Actually it's not from Robotech at all. It's the L-Gaim Mk1 from Heavy Metal L-Gaim.

L-Gaim existed before Five Star Stories and both are done by the same creator. In fact FSS is more or less L-Gaim recycled.

For more you can visit,

MAHQ - Your Ultimate Source For Gundam And Other Mecha (http://www.mahq.net/)

G1

Stev0
08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
http://www.kent.net/robotech/mecha/southern_cross/gmp_security_robot.gif

Robotech - Global Military Police Security Robot (http://www.kent.net/robotech/mecha/southern_cross/gmp_security_robot.shtml)

Interesting.

Getter 1
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Steve0,

Interesting indeed :D

G1

Janx
09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
In addition to the 4 files uploaded yesterday I have added 2 more Valkyries.

VF-1D in standard Markings.

VF-1J in the markings of VF-1 "Wolfpack" squadron as seen on F-14 Tomcats- this also has the UN Navy Weapons Pack.

No Plans to upload many more ( I hear the Moderators sigh :)) but a few special schemes in the works.

If you have any images of builds that you would like to add as images to the downloads section please do so or let me know.

marksolo
09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
C'mon Moderator(s)!

We want all the VF1 variations

Good job Janx, nothing captures the "super realism" spirit of the original macross toys better than a F14 scheme.

This one is another must build for me.

Janx
09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Delay on the VF-1D standard found a slight error :( will correct tomorrow.

Ty MS :) will try to sort those blanks, memory is shot as you know ;p

Stev0
09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Moar Macross... nom nom nom nom nom!!!

ps. Please let us know about so called *errors*.

Getter 1
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
HA!!! The error was he fired me as his proofer. He got sick and tired of me saying this is wrong, that is wrong, you still didn't correct this or that, blah blah blah!!!

Janx I still know of errors on the other files :P :P :P but hey you fired me remember :P :P :P

G1

legal01
09-02-2009, 12:14 AM
What is the delay with the moderators to allow download of the details part that has been updated, anyone know?
Cheers
JP

rickstef
09-02-2009, 07:43 AM
What is the delay with the moderators to allow download of the details part that has been updated, anyone know?
Cheers
JP

Depends on when we admins can get to them.

Normally we can get to them as soon as they are posted, but our real life comes into play every so often, but all the files have been approved, nothing is waiting on approval.

So please keep that in mind

Rick

legal01
09-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks rickstef, i am sure you are bombarded with downloads everyday was just wondering if there was a problem with the file itself.
Cheers
JP

Janx
09-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Me fire Getter1, never, its like having a memory and conscience that actually works, unlike my own ;p

Sorry MS About the "Blanks" I got you mixed up with someone else :D see the memory is shot.

I will delete the detail parts and resubmit them, also uploading the VF-1D and Version 1 of the wing supports (Getter is working his magic on better versions)

The Admins do a great job especially putting up with me...

marksolo
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
dont worry about it Janx, I am not the one with dents in the forehead,

thank god i dont design models, sure dont want G1 to come after me as well.

:)

Getter 1
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
dont worry about it Janx, I am not the one with dents in the forehead,

Hee hee, you may not design but I'll strap on the steel toe pursuaders just for fun :P

G1

Getter 1
09-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Me fire Getter1, never, its like having a memory and conscience that actually works, unlike my own ;p

Sorry MS About the "Blanks" I got you mixed up with someone else :D see the memory is shot.

I will delete the detail parts and resubmit them, also uploading the VF-1D and Version 1 of the wing supports (Getter is working his magic on better versions)

The Admins do a great job especially putting up with me...

Janx,

Believe me there are many draw backs from having a super memory :P

G1

legal01
09-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Quick question, what is the scale of the models in case I want to size up or down?

Thanks
JP

Stev0
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I think they are 1/72.

ThunderChild
09-03-2009, 01:19 PM

<whimper> :p:eek::D

crasheiN
09-03-2009, 03:29 PM
hi guys, in first place i have to thank u for your very good work, i'm a macross fan, & i have a question, its too difficult to build a convertible valkyrie? it would be awesome!

gl!

marksolo
09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Crashein: if i may offer my humble opinion: problem with convertibles is that paper suffer from stress/fatigue creep, in plain english, any hole or crack will continue to grow over time, so joints that are initially tight will eventually become loose.

it is doable if you want to replace all the paper joints with other materials, but as you put more effort into it, the more pointless it becomes IMHO.

you are better off converting a Hasegawa kit into a convertible, I have seen one guy did it at

www.macrossworld.com (http://www.macrossworld.com)

these paper valks are meant to be fun and quick to build.

i suggest trying building a few non transformables first, it is very fun.

ARMORMAN
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Wimp........:P

crasheiN
09-03-2009, 07:04 PM
oh i see, thanks for your explanation marksolo, but i've already built 3 models, 1 of TC & 2 of G1 & JX :D

PD. soorry for my english, is not so good! :D

marksolo
09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
ok i am a wimp, i actually dont mind,

but if you feel macho, you can build this into trasformable as shown in this thread:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/figurines-anime/3878-vf-1a-max-tv-transformable.html

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/figurines-anime/3878-vf-1a-max-tv-transformable.html

pleases do show the results if it works!

gian7675
09-04-2009, 10:16 AM
ok i am a wimp, i actually dont mind,

but if you feel macho, you can build this into trasformable as shown in this thread:

pleases do show the results if it works!

Are there instructions available for this transformable valk? wow...I'm super impressed :)

Getter 1
09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Hikaru / Rick Hunter's VF-1A TV Version has been added to the downloads.

I knew there was one missing :P

G1

marksolo
09-17-2009, 02:11 PM
good job Getter1, how bad did you beat up Janx this time to get it done?

Getter 1
09-18-2009, 12:53 AM
MS,

This one was done while back and I believe was up on Z-Flop so no bruises on Janx this time. Well............not for this that is, those new ones were just for sadistic fun :P

G1

onions22
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
These models are very nice. I made a VF-1S recently and I like it a lot.

I'm currently creating a "weathered" texture for one of the models. A silvery metal texture with shades of rust instead of the plain white. This will give the model a much more realistic look when it's finished.
Now I wanted to ask if I'm allowed to post modifications of an original piece of work in here. I obviously do not intend to violate any rules so that's why I'm asking.

Getter 1
10-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Onions22,

Glad you like the models :D

Contact Jnax on permission as he put the PDFs together and locked em.

Be sure to show us your builds ;)

G1

onions22
10-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Thanks Getter 1.

Here's a picture of the valk I built:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/ved_pics/valk1.jpg

It's the first papercraft model I've ever made :P

About the metallic texture I'm working on, here's a sample I used for printing tests. I can use it here to give you guys an idea of what I'm actually doing:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/ved_pics/test.jpg

marksolo
10-13-2009, 08:29 AM
nice build on the VF1S Onion,

and nice texture on the Hikaru DYRL scheme, nice weathering effects.

looking forward to see the final product

ThunderChild
10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Textures look promising! Keep it up!

controlm
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I will make too

Janx
10-14-2009, 12:33 PM
If the Files password has been bypassed I ain't too happy but it is gonna happen, I am not that foolish as to believe it won't.:p

The file originals were created by Shunichi and all I did was redraw them and add colour schemes and markings as directed by Getter1, who also created the additional parts and details.

So having having said that, the improvements you have made Onions look fantastic, as far as I can see they look like Photoshop files?

If you mod any of the files just let me know and credit Shunichi and Getter1 for their excellent work oh of course put it up here so we all can share in your excellent work :D

Getter 1
10-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Hey there Janx, now don't forget you did several new parts and all the weapons and add on parts. No down playing your role int he project ;) Also remember you asked me about weathering but I wanted em clean :P

Onions22, Thanks for the build pic :D Hope to see more. Your weathering looks good to BTW. SInce you're new to the hobby it's best to ask permission from the designer(s) ;) No hard feelings, but do keep that in mind for the future.

G1

onions22
10-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks a lot guys.

I didn't bypass the file's password, and I wasn't planning on making this work available for everyone to download without the authors' permission. I also dislike people who don't give credit to those who deserve it.

What I'm doing is adding layers on top of the regular (non-vectorized) image. There are several ways to do this in Photoshop and make it look decent.

I've just finished with the side of the legs, here's the sample:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/ved_pics/sample2.jpg

BTW, I'm working on the fighter mode of the Hikaru's DYRL VF-1A for now. As soon as I'm finished I'll build the actual model and see how it turns out, then I'll post the pics here of course. If it turns out good enough and if you guys agree I'll do the other modes when I have the time.

marksolo
10-15-2009, 08:34 AM
beautiful,

suggestion, can you save it at at lesat 300 DPI or higher.

the printers i have are not that great and a lot of details simply disappear when it is not in vector format

Janx
10-15-2009, 08:42 AM
They Look great to me :), the final model should look beautifully grimey.

onions22
10-16-2009, 02:20 AM
beautiful,

suggestion, can you save it at at lesat 300 DPI or higher.

the printers i have are not that great and a lot of details simply disappear when it is not in vector format

Yeah, don't worry, I'm working on 300 DPI. The sample I posted earlier is scaled down a bit. The actual size is like 50% larger, so it is a very large file.
I've been doing printing tests. I've increased the overall contrast a little bit and I'm working on the highlights. I've also made the rusty areas darker and sharper. Now it looks very decent in paper (I'm using an Inkjet printer btw)

Page 2 is almost done.

marksolo
10-16-2009, 11:28 AM
ONION: Sounds like you have a lot of experience in this, very impressive for a "newbie", you are a newbie, no?

General: i wish more people will post their build pics, to be frank, not even your mothers will enjoy seeing your builds as much as we do :D
so dont be shy, send the pics in!

onions22
10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
@marksolo yea I'm a n00b in this whole paper modeling thing. But I'm a graphic designer, so I do have some experience with design software and a little bit in print media. And I'm also a big Macross fan :rolleyes:

Mind my lack of modeling skills, I'm almost done building the model. This time I'm using photographic paper. The printing looks better, but I find this type of paper to be harder to handle, especially with the folding. And it's got that glossy finish.
Anyway, although it can't be appreciated too well with a cell phone cam, here's the pic:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/ved_pics/w_valk_01.jpg

Just a few more parts to assemble.

marksolo
10-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Nice clean build Onion. Not all of us are natural born modlers like Getter1. But I find that with patience and zen, any one can do a decent job.

(my usual fault of course is trying to rush things, which usually led to more time wasted with messy results :mad:)

I think glossy finshes can be very appropriate for this vehicle. I usually coat my models with future floor wax anyway to get a glossy finish.

You cell phone acutally takes better pics than my digi cam, LOL

are you building the cockpit with the detail parts or opage windshield?

Getter 1
10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Onions,

Lookin mighty sweet so far. Starting with a mostly white model is a good move as you have very little in edge coloring to do ;)

Build looks good so no ~noob~ bashin on yourself :) We ALL were ~noobs~ at some point and it looks as if you're off to a good start.

I did spot a mistake on your model. The rear most parts of the top deck are bent down. I know the "real" design has that but the paper model is not intended to do that. Janx wanted to do a lot more for accuracy to the model but I didn't want Shunihi's design to be altered too much. My original goal was to make the missing modes and variants. Janx did all the weapons, armor, and super parts. Shunichi's design is bout 90% intact. We mainly added parts to the design and very few parts were altered out of respect to the original designer ;)

On that note before I got into my next VF-1 build (a Christmas present for a buddy of mine) I had an idea to make the nose section look better on the top deck. Minor modifications was done on a fast test of the theory. I used some "bad prints" to slap (sorry for such a sloppy build) the section needed for the test. I'm very pleased with the results. I took the opportunity to test a theory on the wing supports to and the results were agian good.

All I did was change the location of the nose's slot for mounting to the deck. I raised it on the cockpit section to lower the nose making the "spine" shorter also. It always bugged me a tad as high as it was. This also allows for the use of the full size heads on the Battroid sheets. This will mean the front gear will need to be shortened by the same length the slot was moved but that's minor.

I will document the modification if anyone wants me to but for now tere are some quick shots of the results. I made the more difficult VF-1D and an interchangable VF-1S to see how the single seater would turn out with the same mod. I didn't complete the wing support with a pivot pin but will document that furether later on. I already know it will work from what I did do.

G1

Getter 1
10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Here's the wing support run pix.

G1

onions22
10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Nice clean build Onion. Not all of us are natural born modlers like Getter1. But I find that with patience and zen, any one can do a decent job.

(my usual fault of course is trying to rush things, which usually led to more time wasted with messy results :mad:)

I think glossy finshes can be very appropriate for this vehicle. I usually coat my models with future floor wax anyway to get a glossy finish.

You cell phone acutally takes better pics than my digi cam, LOL

are you building the cockpit with the detail parts or opage windshield?

Thanks. I think I'll go with the normal opaque canopy for now, but I do wanna build the cockpit later on, and maybe some other detail parts. I saw the pic of the 1S fighter at 50% scale you posted earlier, you seem to be very skilled in handling those tiny parts. I don't think I could do that with this type of paper. Any advice you can give me as of what type of paper to use (the brand) to build the cockpit and how to make that awesome looking clear canopy?

onions22
10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the explanation Getter1, those pictures really help explain what you mean.
The step from coming up with an idea of how to improve something like this to the actual execution sounds like a very difficult task to me, but you seem to handle it extremely well. I'm impressed.
And thanks for letting me know of that mistake on my build, I really thought those were supposed to be bent down a bit. As for wing supports I actually used toothpicks and scotch tape, not very professional but it worked for me lol.

Getter 1
10-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Onions, Thanks :D I can see something and break it down in my head. I then make sketches and plan out the parts and even their layout and un-fold before ever making any of them. I do things Old Skool by hand most of the time. I'm too cheap to buy Photoshop or anything so I use MS Paint and a lot of geometry :P That's why it took me so long to get this project done on my parts and Janx using 3D sofgtware can crank em out 100x faster than I can :P His skills and software made the parts sheets so much nicer to when he did the re-draws. Not to mention the BMP files I made were huge in file size compared to his re-drawn files :P

I am starting on planning on another new design but I'm keeping it under wraps for now. Trying to get some things caught up before getting involved in another project ;)

I will be doing a build thread real soon so I will be able to give more detailed tips on the above mods as well as a type of tutorial of the VF-1's construction.

G1

ltla9000311
10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey Getter, very clever idea on the wing support!:) My only question is, what are you using for the pivot point?

Getter 1
10-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Ltla, The wing support is the one Janx did and is avalible in the DL section.

For the pin I plan on a simple tube and end caps just like the joints for the Battroid. Simple and it will give an attachment point on the top and bottom. The original pivots will not be used. They are a very clever idea but they produce 3 layers of height and do not hold up well over time. My VF-1A Max type's wings are now drooping with the missile weight on them.

G1

ltla9000311
10-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Gotcha, KISS simple. (Keep It Simple, Stupid):D

marksolo
10-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Onion:

On really small parts, I cut off all glue tabs and add pieces of cardboards here and there until the pieces fit together like plastic models. This especially made the head of VF1S easy to make, in fact, I dont understand how people can put them together using glue tabs :)

The cockit details, however, I did not do so well, but at 1/144 it does not have to be.

G1 gave a detailed instruction on how to build the clear canopy, but I dont recall where it is, could be at the old thread in Zealot. Basically you fill the paper windshield with epoxy putty. (I got the cheap kind roughly $10.00 for 3 hugh tubes). Soak of the paper. Heat clear plastic packaging material (use thick sheets, because they will stretch thin) using a candle and quickly pull it over the mold. To do a perfect job you might have to sand and fill the mold a bit, but I did not bother with that :rolleyes:
and finally, I use Future Floor Wax to add the frames and attach it to the fueselage. Future is amazing, it is adhesive and hides all the imperfections. G1 can fill the rest in if i miss anything. Achieving symmetry was pretty difficult. In the end I opted for balance of assymetries, if that make any sense.

Getter1: You did all the battroid parts using geometries alone? Dang! That is so hard core.

Getter 1
10-24-2009, 01:55 AM
At 1/72 this model is very tab friendly. At 1/144 perhaps not so but I've yet to try a 1/144 build :P MS I applaud you on those ;)

On cockpit parts like the head rest I like MS remove tabs and "edge glue", but on the seat I leave most of the tabs there.

I've given the tips on canopies in several places. I will show it in the up-coming build (most likely a new thread entirely). I need to make a new mold anyway and the D canopy has yet to be made also.

MS, yep I design in MS Paint using geometry. For odd parts I tend to hand draw it (all but the S heads were done this way), test it, and when satisfied I scan it in and clean up in MS Paint. A very long and sometimes painful process :P I have the ability to understand 3D programs but I need to learn how to achieve the various things in the programs. I don't have the time to build and do the small designs I do and learn another program so I choose the more important of the 2 :P Perhaps it's laziness on my part but I tend to stick with the methods I know.

G1

marksolo
10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Actually G1, that is the a pretty cool way to design paper models if you can handle the math, because the process optimizes the number of polygons/facets used, so the model would be easy to fold/build.

The results speak for themselves. Good job.

onions22
10-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Hello guys, I've finally finished building this model. Well it's actually missing a few very minor details but it's practically done. It was a bit difficult taking a good picture because the paper's glossy finish isn't very picture friendly, and I don't have a good lamp nor a tripod. Here's the pics:

Getter 1
10-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Onions,

Looks great :D Got that grimey goodness ;)

I usually like the clean anime look but that suits it well.

Not knockin anything but glossy paper doesn't seem quite right for a heavy weathered model. I'ld say for future builds go for regular 65lbs. card stock and hit it with Tamiya clear coat ;) That will give it a slight sheen but not too much.

Alright you got the other 2 modes to build next to it.

G1

marksolo
10-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice results Onion. It feels good doesn't? I find paper kits a lot more satisfying than plastics, no?

onions22
10-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Yea, the whole process takes a lot of patience, but it's satisfactory once you're finished. I've never got my hands on one of those plastic kits (although I'd like to), so I really can't compare.

I'll be busy working on a project that has nothing to do with paper for about a week :P, after that I'd like to build the cockpit (thanks for the tips btw) and then something else. So I'd like to know, which mode would be easier to build, gerwalk or battroid?

Oh and a noob question, how much would 65lb card stock be in g/m2? Thanks :D

legal01
10-26-2009, 04:29 AM
65lb is the equivalent to 175 gsm!

marksolo
10-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Haha, none of these kits are 'easy' for me Onion, although Getter1 can "knock one out" in two days.

I have not done a Gerwalk yet. I did build a VF1J battroid and I did not find any issues. I really like the battroid kit because it is the only kit that resembles the Hasegawa battroid. You can probably build one in a single day if you make fixed rather than articulated joints.

Janx
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I'd have to say that the Gerwalk is easier as you have built most of it already as the fighter, but if you want different make a Super Battroid :D

I use 120gsm paper generally but use 160gsm for the thicker parts. I cant imagine building in 175 be like folding plastic card.

The fighter looks great Onions, very neat and clean build.

Getter 1
10-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Gerwalk is pretty easy, not t mention my favorite mode ;)

But really all the modes are easy to build. I'ld say the hardest thing it rolling the head guns, then the nose cone :P

Adding Janx's Super parts bumps up the difficulty but nothing too hard there either. The cockpit is where things get a wee bit tough but paitence will see you through :D

Hey Janx if 65lbs. sounds bad then try 110lbs. :P

65lbs / 176gm is most all I use. Smaller parts I use construction or regular printer paper for.

G1

Janx
10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Ah but you are the master, us mere mortals have to struggle :P

Typing this on a screen full of weird pixels forgive the spelling.

legal01
11-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the great model, i have had a go at all three versions and have completed the Battlroid and fighter verson, although the fighter will get rebuilt as it was a roung try out. Am half way through the Gerwalk mode where I have included the details sheet.

They have been built at half scale to the download, i think its 1:144 scale. Some pics of progress:

marksolo
11-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Wow, the cockpit is very well done at this scale. Awesome!

The VF1A Cannon Fodder is actually pretty cool color scheme. Nice choice.

What is wrong with the fighter? Looks pretty good to me.

ThunderChild
11-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Ditto

Nice builds Legal! Can't wait to see a pic of all three modes together!

legal01
11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Alas the fighter needs to be redone because: Wings dont move where they do on the Gerwalk, No cockpit, legs are a complete mess and unaligned. I built it quickly to get perspectives right so it was a rush job and no where near good enough.

Going blind doing the Gerwalk arms with all the articulation but will post pictures once at least one is complete.
Cheers
JP

marksolo
11-02-2009, 01:03 PM
i think it was G1 that was said we are our own worst critics, LOL, how true is that :cool:

CF VF1A are the grunts anyway, they are supposed to take a lot of beating, just common combat wear and tear. besides the veritechs legs are not necessarily fixed in fighter mode, it is called vectored thrusts.

Getter 1
11-02-2009, 10:12 PM
L01,

Me likes :D Always great to see some builds. I've yet to try these puppies in 1/144 but the fact that you and MS got cockpits in at that size is tanfastic :D

We are our own worst critics as we know where the goof ups are. Paper is so easy to get warped, a fold off center, ect. ect. I think your builds loog really good. Only thing that stands out to me is the center chest part of the Battroid is upside down and not properly tucked in. Head cannon looks a bit big to, did you substitue a plastic tube or such?

One thing's for sure. Build more of these and you will get better each and every time ;) You will get so familiar with all the design features and build methods that you can build em in your sleep :D

Also the wings will be a lot easier to make the pivots with the new method I came up with using Janx's supports ;)

At that size I reccomend using toothpicks in place of the rolled tubes for the joint parts. Keep up the build, you're doing great :D

G1

legal01
11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the complements G1, i saw that the centre chest plate was upside down just as the glue had finished drying!! Also the cannon is too big, its actually an ear bud, will be using a tooth pick in future, its more in scale to the model.

Have almost finished the Gerwalk mode with just the head and canopy left to complete. Will load pics when it is done.

Thanks
JP

legal01
11-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi There

Gerwalk mode at 1:144 finally finished. At this scale ive gont cross eyed getting the really tiny bits right but here are some pictures of the final model. Im busy redoing the fighter verson also at 1:144 with all the details added and will post the pics as i go along.

Thanks for the great model.

Cheers
JP

Janx
11-08-2009, 02:03 PM
A lovely build legal, so clean! excellent job.

Getter 1
11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Outstanding ;)

Build more :D

G1

marksolo
11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice and clean job on the Gerwalk. Thumbs up! Looking forward to see your fighter too.

Janx
11-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Just added the VF-1 GBP-1S Armour TV Version to the downloads section. Instructions included in the file.

Atm there are only markings for 101 but I am in the middle of producing a sheet of alternative parts to allow upto 4 other numbers to be created.

Also DYRL version should be up tomorrow night after a few minor corrections.

An Urban camo version is also in the works.

hawkman67
11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Yay!!!:D Thankx Janx! once again another tottally cool model to add to the collection.
Jeff

ThunderChild
11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Good job Janx! Looks stunning!

57townsman
11-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Thank you Janx! :D

I've been waiting patiently...

SteveK

legal01
11-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Update on the 1:144 fighter build, here are some pictures showing the model almost finished with only the canopy and head left to complete. The wheels just need the struts painted to hide the fact that they are toothpics.

Next in line will be the 1:144 scale VF-1D in all three modes.

Thanks
JP

ThunderChild
11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
At 1:144 that is very clean! Only prob I can see is the gap behind the cockpit. S'pose you need to get the head on before fixing it?
Great build! Can't wait to see more!

Getter 1
11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Legal, Very nice :D Me likes ;) You gonna add the nose and hip blisters?

G1

legal01
11-19-2009, 11:58 PM
G1, yup the blisters will be added once they have finished drying. Also Thunderchild. the bit behind the canopy is being tweaked to close the gap. Almost there, head was completed last night and canopy will be complete today. Will post the final pics when all complete.

Cheers
JP

legal01
11-29-2009, 09:07 AM
The 1:144 detailed fighter is complete and a second fighter without the detailed landing gear is also complete. Ive attached the latest pics. I am busy at the moment with a 1:72 scale with all the details for a friend of mine. It is allot easier working on a larger scale and im not going crossed eyed anymore!

Thanks

Getter 1
11-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Legal,

That's 2 great lookin builds :D Let's see more :D

G1

ARMORMAN
11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Looks good, but the gear looks a bit...."sticky"....;)

I know I'm being "picky"...

Getter 1
11-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Looks good, but the gear looks a bit...."sticky"....;)

I know I'm being "picky"...

Hee hee, be as "picky" as you want after we see your build ;)

G1

legal01
12-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Here is a Challenge for Janx and G1, i came across pictures from a book called Variable Fighter Master File which shows amazing pictures of all the macross squadrons. In the pictures is one for the stealth squadron a VF1A in black and light grey underbody (Picture attached!) As we can't open the PDF files i challenge you to design a stealth VF1!!

Cheers
JP

P.S. Its the middle picture!

marksolo
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
geez i was only gone for a two week cruise and it looks like i have missed ages. good job every one!

awesome!

Janx
12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
if you can send me better images legal I'll give it a go.

This one is in the works atm. Based on a model over on MW.

hawkman67
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Ooooh! the Black Roses, I really like that one. Way to go Janx!
Jeff

ThunderChild
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Nice one Janx!

legal01
12-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Hey Janx, this is the best picture i can find of the plane.

Janx
12-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks legal. I'm gonna order a copy of the book, HLJ is out of stock atm though.

ARMORMAN
12-04-2009, 07:38 PM
try here:

Macross Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie (http://www.animebooks.com/vafimafivfva.html)

Janx
12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Cheers Armor!

legal01
12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
A few pics on progress on a Christmas present i am building for a friend. Have completed the VF1S Battloid with only the cannons on the head left to paint and the fighter with the cannons again needing paint and the canopy to mould.

Next is the Guardian mode, only 13 days to complete all of them! Will post when complete.

Cheers
JP

Janx
12-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Beautifully clean builds legal, excellent!

Getter 1
12-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Christmas costs less at Papermodelers.com :D :D :D

Legal, you gettin good at these :D Glad to see someone crankin em out ;)

G1

ThunderChild
12-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Very nice builds!

marksolo
12-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Nice build Legal. Beautiful!

legal01
12-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi There

After having now built the fully detailed models in all three modes I have noticed a few things that i need assistance with and a few suggestions.

1. Where exactly do the articulated joints of the leg join onto the bottom of the leg?
2. Where exactly do the arms join onto the shoulder blocks and the forearms?
3. How do you stop the bottom half of the arm from falling off (articulated arm)? Would a ridge inside the top half stop this?
4. What angle should the feet be for the Guardian mode?

Now for some suggestions:
1. The joint for the hand should be rounded rather than square, it allows the hand to move more freely compared to square that catches on the edges;
2. The AMM1 missile is missing two small circles for the end parts. The tube is too big to fit the available circles.
3. The head of the VF1S is too lose on the mounting and needs a second round tube glued inside the head slightly larger than the neck to fit securely.

Hope that helps.
Almost finished all three, just the weapons pack and two canopies left to do. Will load pics when all done.

Cheers
JP

legal01
12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Finally its finished, some pics of the complete present made for a friend for Christmas.

Thanks for the great models Getter1 & Janx!

Cheers
JP

Stev0
12-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Can I be your friend. =X

Nice display. I'm off school for the season until Jan 5th. I think I am going to build something.

*don't everyone faint!*

The Orange
12-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey there my buddy Legal ;)

Nice builds man, very creative display! Whoever that friend is, he/she will definitely be happy to see this.

legal01
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the complements!. Its for a friend's 7 year old son who want to start building models, i figured it was cheaper to start in paper than plastic so he gets the starter kit with it as well.

Cheers
JP

ThunderChild
12-17-2009, 03:50 AM
That's a novel way of getting them into the hobby! :D

I love what you've done with the display, and it's nice to finally see a pic with all three modes in one! Nicely done!

marksolo
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Yep, that is great display. Very clean and nice build.
Great canopies

What did you use to make the gun strap? That is pretty cool.

Sorry I did not answer any of your questions, I actually have never built one at full scale and have yet to build one in Gerwalk mode.

Hopefully Getter1 or Janx can answer them soon.

Janx
12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Legal those are superb builds.

Some of the questions are to be answered in the update sheets that getter and no doubt I will get round to in the new year. I know G1 has a lot of amendments he wants to include.

As to things such as the angle of the gerwalk's legs or feet there isnt a right or wrong as the knees feet are moveable and not fixed going from full rear/closed as per the fighter mode to full forward/wide open to halt the craft instantly. I think a Gerwalk breaking hard would make a good diarama...

legal01
12-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the complements, it was the most fun ive had doing Christmas shopping!

In answer to your question Mark, its actually the plastic backing you get on lable stickers, being very thin plastic it is strong and flexable enough to use as a strap.

Just to show im a complete sucker for punishment ive started the SDF 1 today. The wife is about to declare me insane.....

Cheers JP

ThunderChild
12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
SDF???

Oooohhh!!!! PICS PICS PICS!!!

Getter 1
12-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Legal, That is a great set there and as the others have said a tan-fabulious display base ;) You're getting real good at these babies :D

As for the arms and leg joints there is no way to really indicate exact positioning but here's a shot showing the placement of the joints.

If the arm "collar" type joint is loose you can add a thin strip of regular paper to the cylinder to tighten it up.

Janx answered the Gerwalk foot question. However if the modle is "fix-posed" then the positioning is up to you ;)

Thanks for those suggestions but a rounded wrist would look funny to me :P I modeled it after the DYRL and the Hasagawa Battroid model.

Don't follow on the Missiles as I had no such problems???

The S head did need a little tab for resistance but that was forgotten in the instructions. I dont' have the prototype anymore for a pic either :(

I will be building more........lots more but I have a few builds in the way ATM. I finally finished my Christmas builds for the year and will be posting those in a few :D

I do need to do the update sheet soon though :P

G1

legal01
12-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks G1, its a pleasure to receive such a complement from the master!. Thanks for the answers to the questions, it solves some of the questions i had about the model.

As for the missiles issue i managed to solve that one myself! It helps if you roll the pieces the right way then they fit!! LOL

Will post pics of the SDF as i go along in a new thread.

Cheers JP

legal01
01-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi There

I have started building all the VF model in the download section and have notice a small mistake on the Max and Myria VF-1J models on page 3 of the PDF. On the intake pieces the tab for gluing is missing on both intakes and the intake on the left the bottom piece is missing colour. The are also missing glue tabs on the Dixon VF1A and the Hunter VF1A on the fighter version of the intakes.

Screenshot of the error is attached for ease of reference.

Janx
01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks legal I'll correct the tabs asap.

The legs/intakes are white on the front/back of the Max/ Myria Vf-1Js so the intake n the right is wrong and needs correcting, thanks for pointing these out I'll check the other Vf-1s as well.

Janx
01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Wont be able to get to these till Monday so will hopefully post up corrections Monday night.

legal01
01-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Just an update on my latest project, have completed the hunter VF1A, Myria VF1J and the VF-X, only 14 left to go!. I am trying to complete all the Macross/Robotech downloads at 1:144 scale from the download section in fighter mode. Will post a few pics when I get a chance.

Cheers
JP

ThunderChild
01-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Once done, I'd like to see a pic of them all together, though you may need a trip to the moon to get them all in the frame... :D

Also, once your done with all the valks in fighter mode, obviously you'll get started on the Gerwalk and Battroid versions? :eek::p

legal01
01-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Now that is a challenge! erm i would need to get permission for the master of the household first thou, build on a new room that sort of thing to store them!

Cheers
JP

K/rock4gzus
02-20-2010, 12:56 AM
hey little brother i finally accepted your invite and i did see the postings between you and your swedish friend. i hope to get in contact with him also. must go now have early wake up call. talk to you later.

Getter 1
02-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey KR,

Glad you finally made it this way. Have a look round and I'm sure you will find something to build ;)

BTW knock that "little" brother stuff off. I'm bigger than you remember :P

G1

K/rock4gzus
02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
hey punk, just remember who is older. size does not always matter .

log15l
02-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Last night i was sitting looking at my VF-0s model. I got to thinking it would be possible to modify the VF-1 plans into a VF-0S.

Have you ever tried that?

Janx
02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Log, not really she is a bit of a different beast, some one on Z forum was going to do it but have not seen any thing since. It was on the to do list but its a bit of a way down, along with the VF-0D.

legal01
03-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Just a few pics of the latest builds, they were printed on A3 size pages so are bigger than normal.

Just the canopy to finish on the gerwalk.

Cheers
JP

Getter 1
03-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Great builds JP :D :D :D

G1

Janx
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Excellent Builds there JP, crisp!

marksolo
03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
yeah, that turned out really nice, good job

legal01
03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks Guys, just started a VF-1S Blue Angels at the same scale last night, will post the pictures once its built.

Cheers
JP

marksolo
03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
eagerly looking forward to see it!

sprayer
04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Janx,
You upload reverse printing/liner sheet? I can't find it in the downloads.

Janx
04-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Hi Sprayer, which sheet do you mean?

sprayer
04-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Sorry I was clear.
Mainly the foot exhaust part(http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/89655-post60.html).
Did you make a inner detail for the engine intake?

Currently I am building the VF-1X Prototype in 1:144. I have not build a VF since Shunichi Makino original release, then I loss track of Getter progress.

The 'VF-1 Wing Strengthers version 1' works nicely. Make them a little thinner at the joint end. After making the joint it got a little thick and is making I & J bulge out.

Janx
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
KK thanks for the feedback. I'll get the liner onto the update sheets. In the mean time if you want them drop me a message with ur email and I'll post it to you.