PDA

View Full Version : My first armour build.. FV-101 Scorpion (Modelik)

Nemesis7485
06-26-2009, 05:23 AM
At long last, after 190 hours building time, she's finally finished. As the title says, this is my first armour build but I'm quite pleased with the results. The kit itself has some issues which need to be tackled but nothing that cant be worked around with a little thought and patience.

Please excuse the picture quality as the digital camera I normally borrow is AWOL at the moment so I've had to use my phone.

The first pic...

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/At%20long%20last,%20after%20190%20hours%20building %20time,%20she%27s%20finally%20finished.%20As%20th e%20the%20title%20says,%20this%20is%20my%20first%2 0armour%20build%20but%20I%27m%20quite%20pleased%20 with%20the%20results.%20Tyhe%20kit%20itself%20has% 20some%20issues%20which%20need%20to%20be%20tackled %20but%20nothing%20that%20cant%20be%20worked%20aro und%20with%20a%20little%20thought%20and%20patience .%20%20Please%20excuse%20the%20picture%20quality%2 0as%20the%20digital%20camera%20I%20normally%20borr ow%20is%20AWOL%20at%20the%20moment%20so%20I%27ve%2 0had%20to%20use%20my%20phone.%20%20The%20first%20p ic...%20%20%20%20The%20rest%20of%20the%20pics%20ca n%20be%20seen%20in%20my%20album%20at%20http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/members/nemesis7485-albums-fv-101-scorpion-modelik.htmlhttp://www.ukpapermodels.com/pictures/builds/fv_101_scorpion/fv_101_scorpion_80.jpg

The rest of the pics can be seen in my album at PaperModelers.com - Nemesis7485's Album: FV-101 Scorpion (Modelik) (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/members/nemesis7485-albums-fv-101-scorpion-modelik.html)

buffalowings
06-26-2009, 06:24 AM
one word, amazing
the paper shovel is a nice touch

Thales
06-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Yes, that came out very very nice. Classy.

dansls1
06-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Looks very good ;)

cjwalas
06-26-2009, 07:17 AM
This one looks great! I'd love to see some better photos of it when you get a chance.
Chris

Nemesis7485
06-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys. I'll be replacing these pics with better ones once the camera is returned to my sweaty palms.

Nemesis7485
06-30-2009, 07:52 AM
I've managed to take some better pics with a different camera. I was going to replace them in my album but for some reason it has either been deleted or my access to albums has been removed. I'll just post a couple of pics here instead.

http://www.ukpapermodels.com/pictures/builds/fv_101_scorpion/fv-101%20Scorpion%20009.JPG

http://www.ukpapermodels.com/pictures/builds/fv_101_scorpion/fv-101%20Scorpion%20014.JPG

http://www.ukpapermodels.com/pictures/builds/fv_101_scorpion/fv-101%20Scorpion%20013.JPG

http://www.ukpapermodels.com/pictures/builds/fv_101_scorpion/fv-101%20Scorpion%20008.JPG

Phil
06-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Very nice job!

The gallery software has been updated and some of the pics were lost in the install.

KCStephens
06-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Great job! I especially like the marker lights and head lamps. Are the lens covers paper of some other material? They look very nice.

Barry
06-30-2009, 08:25 AM
looks very realistic

rickstef
06-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Steve,

If you posted the pictures to your profile's gallery, then they were lost, but Jason should be able to restore them into the big Gallery
Contact Jason if you want that done

Rick

Nemesis7485
06-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Phil and Rick. I've re upped the album and added the decent pics to it..... FV-101 Scorpion - Paper Modelers Gallery (http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=634)

KC, for the indicator and tail lights, I used something called "faux jewels". They're little bead things that crafters use for making Birthday cards, etc. I "liberated" them from my dear ol Mom's collection of crafting goodies. The headlights I made by cutting out discs of shiny silver paper, cutting a slit in them and making them into cones before putting them inside the headlight casings.

Thanks for all your comments, guys.

smyfe
06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Wow Steve, you've been busy, the Scorpion is gorgeous. Have you ever thought about doing one of the others in her class, such as the Scimitar or Spartan, they would make a great display:D
Best wishes
Mick

Gharbad
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Wow looks great! I always saw that kit and the cover art made it look pretty lame, totally not true of the real thing!

Nemesis7485
06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Hiya Mick. Being ex British Army, I'd luv to build the Scimitar and Spartan as well as others such as the Saracen and Humber Pig. Right now though, I'm on a mission to build models in as many genres as possible to use for display when I take my store on the road next year to airshows, vehicle shows etc. That's why my next build is going in a completely different direction. WAK's S-100 E-boat.

I have to agree with you, Gharbad about it not looking too impressive on the cover. To be honest, that's actually one of the reasons I chose to build it. I thought it would be a relatively quick build. Oh how wrong I was, lol.

smyfe
06-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi Steve, that saves me a question, i was going to ask if you were doing any airshows as i'm off to Fairford in a couple of weeks:D
Best wishes
Mick

buffalowings
06-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I can't believe tanks have rear view mirrors :0

redhorse
06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Great build!! Can't believe it only took 190 hours with those tracks, and no I'm not being sarcastic. :D

Hope to see more of these in the future from you!

Golden Bear
06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
I love armor builds, Nem, but hate the tracks. That's why I've only ever done one (don't look for the build thread since it predates my involvement with Cardmodelers --> Zealot), the Halinskit Tiger. I had blisters on my hands from cutting the wheels and stopped building models altogether for about 2 years after doing the tracks. Ugh. And the laser cut bits aren't any help for saving time.

In any case... back to the model. It is realistic and beautiful. If it were sitting in a field in the Fulda gap I would think it to be the real thing. This is top rank modeling, whatever your experience level. I will give it the nod as the Golden Bear model/picture of the month.

Man, the more I look at the photos the more I like it. I'm not wowed like this very much anymore but this is it.

What's next? I would love to see the Saracen after seeing what one of them did to an innocent Land Rover in south Belize. The Ulster Rangers were transferred there after a spell in N. Ireland and brought some issues with them. Plus the streets are really narrow and the Saracen came whipping around a corner without good visibility and... well you can picture the poor little blue and white Rover. Sigh. I love those little Rovers with all the detachable panels. Any kits for them?

Carl

Jim Nunn
07-01-2009, 12:39 AM
At long last, after 190 hours building time, she's finally finished. As the title says, this is my first armour build but I'm quite pleased with the results.

And you should be. I don’t remember seeing anyone else who has built this model. You have added some very nice improvements to the model reflective mirrors, great looking headlamps, wire cable and a very well done model.

Jim Nunn

CharlieC
07-01-2009, 12:48 AM
What's next? I would love to see the Saracen after seeing what one of them did to an innocent Land Rover in south Belize. The Ulster Rangers were transferred there after a spell in N. Ireland and brought some issues with them. Plus the streets are really narrow and the Saracen came whipping around a corner without good visibility and... well you can picture the poor little blue and white Rover. Sigh. I love those little Rovers with all the detachable panels. Any kits for them?
Carl

I don't think there is a 1/25 Saracen model unfortunately. There was a report on the Web from a guy in the UK who had a neutered Saracen - he said he had no problems in traffic even on Britain's motorways - everyone got out his way very quickly.

Regards,

Charlie

Nemesis7485
07-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Hi Steve, that saves me a question, i was going to ask if you were doing any airshows as i'm off to Fairford in a couple of weeks:D
Best wishes

MickFairford is a great airshow. Hope you're going to bring back plenty of pics for us to drool over. I went to the one at Cosford a few weeks ago. The first airshow I'd been to in years. Was a great day out.

I can't believe tanks have rear view mirrors :0 I think that's so they can see the RPG's coming and get out the way. ;)

Great build!! Can't believe it only took 190 hours with those tracks, and no I'm not being sarcastic. :DThanks, Redhorse. You're right about the tracks. They accounted for over 40 hours of the work. I was glad to see the back of them, for sure.

I love armor builds, Nem, but hate the tracks. That's why I've only ever done one (don't look for the build thread since it predates my involvement with Cardmodelers --> Zealot), the Halinskit Tiger. I had blisters on my hands from cutting the wheels and stopped building models altogether for about 2 years after doing the tracks. Ugh. And the laser cut bits aren't any help for saving time.I know exactly how you feel, Carl. I had to take a break away from them for a couple of days because of blisters and a mental pain barrier i hit. It got to the point I just couldn't face them any more, lol.

In any case... back to the model. It is realistic and beautiful. If it were sitting in a field in the Fulda gap I would think it to be the real thing. This is top rank modeling, whatever your experience level. I will give it the nod as the Golden Bear model/picture of the month.Woah! Thanks very much, Carl. I'm really glad you like it. Makes all those blisters worth it :D

What's next? I would love to see the Saracen after seeing what one of them did to an innocent Land Rover in south Belize. The Ulster Rangers were transferred there after a spell in N. Ireland and brought some issues with them. Plus the streets are really narrow and the Saracen came whipping around a corner without good visibility and... well you can picture the poor little blue and white Rover. Sigh. I love those little Rovers with all the detachable panels. Any kits for them?Next up is something completely different. I've just started WAK's S-100 Schnellboot, which will be another first for me. Not built any watercraft in paper yet. I must admit to being a little leary of tackling the hull skin.

I can imagine the results of the argument between the Saracen and the Lanny, lol. I take it you were there as part of the UN as you're describing a blue and white Land Rover? As for a kit of one. I don't have a land rover of any description in my stock right now and to be honest, i can't remember seeing a military version anywhere. Someone must publish one though, I would imagine.

And you should be. I don’t remember seeing anyone else who has built this model. You have added some very nice improvements to the model reflective mirrors, great looking headlamps, wire cable and a very well done model.

Jim NunnThanks very much, Jim. I really appreciate all the positive comments. I'm surprised you could see the reflective mirrors. I didn't think they were that noticeable on the pics.

I don't think there is a 1/25 Saracen model unfortunately. There was a report on the Web from a guy in the UK who had a neutered Saracen - he said he had no problems in traffic even on Britain's motorways - everyone got out his way very quickly.

Regards,

Charlie Haha! I can imagine they would. That's one great thing about the UK. Apparently, as long as you hold a normal driver's liscence, you can legally drive a tracked vehicle, including tanks, on the road. I would imagine the insurance is a bit steep, though. Not to mention the fuel costs. Anyone know where I can buy a Sherman? :D

B-Manic
07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the new pictures Steve. They really show off your clean and detailed build. I have this model and plan to build it some day.

Thanks for sharing.

birder
07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice job Nemesis! You have not only ventured but conquered the subject!:) It does sound like you are familiar with armor which is nice both to know what it supposed to look like and to motivate with the finish line in mind.:cool: :)

Nemesis7485
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for your comments, guys.

B-Manic, when you do this kit, remember to have plenty of coffee on the go when you get to the tracks.

I'm familiar with armour but by no means expert, Birder. I was ex Army Air Corps so helicopters are more up my alley. I never missed the chance to have a play with the toys on the ground whenever the opportunity arose, though. :)

The Orange
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Drat! Your build makes me regret not buying this when I made my last order!

Golden Bear
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey, Nem! No, not a UN person but working as an archaeologist. I have a doctorate in it if you can believe that. I got my engineering degree after my anthropology career.

The Land Rover was the classic old civilian version with the high boxy fenders. The town was Punta Gorda in Southern Belize. The year was about 1979. I was staying on a farm/ranch owned by a Brit and taking rides with his adopted son on a motor bike to photograph and cast monuments at a newly discovered site down there - Nimli Punit. Anyway, it was one of the periodic episodes when the Guatemalan government tried to distract people from their own internal issues, some folks called it genocide but what do I know, and claimed that they were going to take Belize into their own sovereignity. Belize had only recently taken their independence after having been a self governing colony and Britain was protecting them still. So they were rotating units, or fractions of units, through Belize.

The Ulster Rangers had just finished a TOD in N. Ireland, including snipers, bombings, etc. and were in a bad mood. They kept getting in fights where they would pound on the locals who were tiny in stature compared to them. Anyway, they would go whipping around in their ACs at high (for the area) speed without paying too much attention. They whipped around a corner in this tiny little town and utterly squashed this little Rover. The driver got out with injuries but the car was a pancake.

We had really great relationships with the army and air force - I got a ride in one of their choppers and took pictures of our site which was actually in Northern Belize by Orange Walk Town. I frequently saw Harriers taking off from the airport near Belize City and the often came over our little pyramid to practice taking photos. Also, sometimes you would be driving along a road down there... they only had one paved road at the time from Belize City to Belmopan the capitol. The major N/S highway was dirt. Anyway, the roads were all narrow and completely screened by in large with jungle on either side. Dum de dum, listening to Blue Bayou on Radio Belize and you'd hear a get getting really loud. So you'd look around, but, no jet! Hmm, where are they they're really loud. Whoosh, they'd flip over you from behind dipping below treetop (they weren't supposed to so you didn't hear it from me) hopping over the truck (Toyota Land Cruiser painted lime green) roaring down the road ahead of you and zooming while they waggled their wings. Sometimes they would do a roll. They loved rolling over you.

Great folks and I spent many happy hours at their camp drinking Pym's and gin with them. Those Harriers are impressive little planes for being VTOLs. They said that if they did a full speed run to practice for responding to a threat up in the north near us, they couldn't turn around without going into Mexico or Guatemala. Again, I'm not saying that they did or anything. Ahem.

Carl

Nemesis7485
07-03-2009, 05:24 AM
I never had the pleasure of a posting to Belize. I believe we still have a very small base there, for training purposes.

The behaviour of those lads is no surprise if they were posted there direct from N. Ireland without a cool down period. 1979 was at the height of "the troubles" and things were pretty nasty over there. A very dirty war.

The Harrier has always been and always will be one of my favourite aircraft. A one of a kind, for sure and still fighting strong today.

Was it an Army helicopter or an RAF one you got a ride in? If it was Army, I'm guessing in that period and that location, it was probably a Westland Scout?

kenlwest
07-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Hey Nemesis,

Congratulations on Picture of the Week! The model looks incredibly realistic! I've had my eye on this kit for some time.... I think I will snag it from Papermodelstore if they still have it.

Your build looks like an actual piece sitting in a museum somewhere - just begging someone to mess with it! Very nice!

Ken

smyfe
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Hey Steve, sure you can't be tempted:D, from Fairford at the weekend.
19232 19233
My son and sister in law climbed in the Scimitar, but i think i may have been a bit on the large size to get through the hatch:p
Best wishes
Mick

Nemesis7485
07-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks for your kind comments, Ken. It's well worth building. It has a few fit issues but a really nice kit in general.

Wow! Nice pics of a couple of classics, Mick. I am indeed tempted to build the whole series but I have to get other subjects built. I'm building kits for display on the store so I'm having to cover as many genres as possible at the moment.

"may have been a bit on the large size to get through the hatch"? Where's that British grit and determination, man? Take one for the team!

Fishcarver
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Nem: Congrats on a REALLY nice build here! I too have the Scorpion, which, if memory serves, did good service in the late Falklands punch-up.

The Scorpion turret was used on the Canadian AVGP "Cougar" infantry fire-support vehicle. This was a wheeled forerunner of the LAVs that the CF use today. I am somewhat familiar with the Cougar, having served alongside it in scenic places such as Gagetown, Petawawa, Wainwright and Dundurn while a member of the P.B.I.(R) (Poor B****y Infantry (Reserve)) in the 1980s.

You do fine work!
Keep it up!

Jim