PDA

View Full Version : The Gatling Gun

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
This a later version of the Gatling circa 1880's. I will post it as a free download later on.

Here is the beginning of the Gun.

cjwalas
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
This looks like a great little model and I'm really looking forward to attempting it! Thanks so much for sharing!
Chris

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 09:50 AM
This looks like a great little model and I'm really looking forward to attempting it! Thanks so much for sharing!
Chris

More to come. I was stumped in the beginning as to how to make the wheels but I saw a cannon build by Ollie B. and the light bulb lit up. So the wheels are a variation of his design, but built up.:):):)

THE DC
06-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I can't wait to print this one out!

The DC

cdavenport
06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
What scale is it? Is it textured or do we need to paint it?

If is untextured, will we be able to upscale it? I do like large models.

ARMORMAN
06-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Heh, When I was growing up, My next door neighbor wrote to the U.S. Patent Office and they sent him the info on the first Gatling......so he made one using 12 Gauge shotgun barrels built on a tripod....then he made one on a gun carriage....then he made a light field gun with an original Civil War Era barrel....then a 6 pounder....all worked, BTW.

Nice job, so far.

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
What scale is it? Is it textured or do we need to paint it?

If is untextured, will we be able to upscale it? I do like large models.

The scale is slightly larger than 1/32 and the color scheme is the US version, Olive green. The British version was a field grey in colour.:):):)

Yes, you can upscale it. The original size was suppose to be approx 1/24, but I reduced it for space reasons.

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
More on that multi bullet launcher.

I already did the axle for the cannon but this axle can probably be used for the making of the limbers. It is a simple laminated four sides with the paper rod in the center.

Here is a peek at the plans. A white and colored version.:):):)

THE PLANS ARE IN THE DOWNLOAD SECTION NOW IN THE MILITARY VEHICLES AND HARDWARE.

I hope that you enjoy the Gatling Gun as much as I did building it.

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 01:01 PM
So on with the build.The making of the barrel. You can see that this is different than the original version designed by Dr. Gatling. The barrels are not exposed. I am not sure if the outside cylinder is supposed to hold water to help cool down the barrels.

ct ertz
06-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Wow, thanks! I hope I get some time to try it.

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Wow, thanks! I hope I get some time to try it.

You are welcome, enjoy the build when you get to it. If you want to upscale, you may have to cut and paste the pics so as to have half of the diagrams on one sheet and then copy them to a higher scale. and do the same for the other parts.:):):)

legion
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
From what i can remember from a Discovery show, there were 2 mayor designers that developed these machine guns: Vickers and Gatling. Both had the same idea, but no communication between them, like the inventors for the hovercraft.

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 02:47 PM
From what i can remember from a Discovery show, there were 2 mayor designers that developed these machine guns: Vickers and Gatling. Both had the same idea, but no communication between them, like the inventors for the hovercraft.

I do not know much about the Vickers but the British did use this Gatling and it was grey in colour with metal parts in black.

ct ertz
06-26-2009, 06:35 PM
I put the file in my RAR stack. I used to hav a RAR reader but I do not now, so I will have to open this when I get another copy. I look forward to it though.

I think th early Gatling from the Civil War era was hampered some what by the .58 cal ammo set in iron casings like the Arger (?) coffee mill gun. After they went to brass self cotained rounds it really worked well.

CharlieC
06-26-2009, 06:52 PM
I put the file in my RAR stack. I used to hav a RAR reader but I do not now, so I will have to open this when I get another copy. I look forward to it though.

7zip (7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org)) will open/extract .rar - and it's an open source project (free).

Charlie

rickstef
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
ALTools PC Utilities-zip/unzip,ftp,movies, music, pictures, login manager, internet helper (http://www.altools.com)
works great too

dansls1
06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I downloaded peazip - works very well.
PeaZip download free RAR 7Z TAR ZIP extraction (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/)

nothing
06-26-2009, 07:38 PM
thanks a bunch. this is very cool.

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 07:56 PM
thanks a bunch. this is very cool.

It goes next to that Navy Colt of yours along with the cannon on the other thread.

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
More on that Gatling. Rounded the rear cap on a felt pad with a round blunt edge. It can be done wet or dry, I prefer the dry method for this build.

For the magazine, Roll a strip about the size of the magazine width until the desired thickness is achieved. Use a round object about the size of the center and roll the strip around this. The other method is to laminate the front and rear of the magazine and roll a strip around the edge of the roundel. You will also have to make an inner strip for the center hole.

The last pic is of the cradle support for the gun tube. Wrap each strip on top of each other 2X around a round object and hold until set to keep the contour. Do not laminate and then curve or it will crinkle on you.

The crank handle can be done with a small strip and two paper rods attached on each opposite ends or you can do like I did and used a small section of a paper clip bent to shape and glued to the paper rods.

THE DC
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
This is a great build thread!

The DC

silveroxide
06-26-2009, 10:44 PM
This is a great build thread!

The DC
Thank you DC, I hope that those who downloaded the Gatling will post some of their built pics as well as any upgrades that they may have done

There is more to come, God willing and the creek don't rise.

silveroxide
06-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Finishing the Barrel and making the wheels

Cut the base support and laminated the halves 2X and then glue the halves together. It will now become a solid one piece item.

Take a thin strip and cover the edges or sand smooth if you are going to paint it your way.

With a new blade that is nice and sharp, cut a slot for the elevation arm.

Test fit the location of the support. Slide the elevation arm through but do not glue this part. It should move freely to allow the barrel to move up and down.

Cut rims out and laminate the outside halves 2X with gauge heavy paper like kind from a shoe box.

NOTE: when I do the laminations I use the heavy gauge shoe box style of paper/carton.

Next sandwich the inner spoke section with the laminated outside rims. The spoke section stays as is, do not laminate.

once the wheels are set and dry, take the spokes and laminate them 2X and cut small thin strips to make the thick spokes.

The spokes should slightly extend to the hub marked section of the center wheel. DO NOT FORGET TO CUT THE AXLE HOLE, or you may have to drill it out later.

lastly cut out the hub spoke retainers and place them over the spokes.

Now roll small strips to make the outer hubs for the outside and inside. The small hub will be to the outside and the thicker one to the inside of the gun.

Oliver Bizer
06-27-2009, 06:13 AM
WOW WOW WOW looks GREAT :eek:

silveroxide
06-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks OBI, this thread is almost at the conclusion. The limber will be added to the cannon on another thread which can be used on this gun as well. Overall it was enjoyable in designing and building this model. As soon as someone makes their version, I would like to see their works and modifications. I will post the end later today, got things to do.

rmks2000
06-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Very nice. I envy your skill at cutting out rings.

elliott
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
This is really good. Thanks for sharing your work.

silveroxide
06-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Very nice. I envy your skill at cutting out rings.

As long as the rims or circles are large, the knife is sharp just stay inside/outside the lines and the rest is easy. That is, until they become smaller and smaller, then you cheat with punches and other hole making tools.

You are welcome Elliott. This is just a teaser I have more items in mind for the enjoyment of my fellow paper modelers.

ON WITH THE FINAL BUILD
These are the final pics for this build. Will update at a later time with a base and other smaller accessories.

Make a lower support for the Column that supports the barrel.

Cut out the control wheels and place them in their respective places. The larger one to the right side of the support column. The solid wheel to the left side of the column and the smaller spoked wheel in the middle tothe left of the elevation bar.

Again, I hope that you will enjoy building this model as well as I did in designing and building it.

The reason behind this build, the cannon and others in the series, is that there is a lacking of War between the States items, other than the iron clads. I like the black powder cannons and arty pieces. as soon as I get done with these items, there are other in mind, such as Naval cannons and revolutionary war. So until then, "Se ya when I see Ya.":):):)

Oliver Bizer
06-27-2009, 01:51 PM
AMAZING, great construction! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/b015.gif

Best regards
Olli

ARMORMAN
06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Inspiring build....:)

Don Boose
06-27-2009, 02:14 PM
This and your Parrot 12-pounder are superb models. I would love to try my hand at both some day. I'm just now seeing these threads, but look forward to some very close examination of the photos in the future.

You are making a really significant contribution to the craft and to military history with these beautifully conceived, designed, and executed models.

Don Boose

Jackal
06-27-2009, 08:46 PM
all I can say is WOW , that is awesome, beautiful Gatling gun

silveroxide
06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
all I can say is WOW , that is awesome, beautiful Gatling gun

Try it and post some pics, it is a free download to the community. :)

Jackal
06-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Sure will as soon as I get DL privileges , lol, not on the list yet but no biggie .i have enough going on with the other stuff but yes would love to try it later .

rmks2000
06-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Silveroxide -

The only parts mentioned that are laminated on the parts sheets are the wheel spokes. From the pictures, it looks like the gun carriage is laminated too. If so, what parts and how thick?

cdavenport
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Silveroxide, is your Parrot 12-pounder available anywhere?

silveroxide
07-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Silveroxide -

The only parts mentioned that are laminated on the parts sheets are the wheel spokes. From the pictures, it looks like the gun carriage is laminated too. If so, what parts and how thick?

The sides of the carriage are laminated 2X with thick paper like the shoe box carton thickness. and the top plates are are glued to thick paper also.

In fact all the drawings are glued to thick paper with the exception of the barrel and the control wheels. The magazine has two options, you can laminate the mag wheels 2X and wrap the strip around it and the inside strip also. Technique 2, you roll a strip the thickness of the magazine until you reach the thickness of the roundels. the handles at the trail are strips of heavy paper bent into shape. The bottom braces are the same as the top plates.

I hope that this helps some.

silveroxide
07-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Silveroxide, is your Parrot 12-pounder available anywhere?

The 12 ponder is not available yet, it is a two piece model of the gun itself and the limber. The limber is almost done but I may have to do the box over because it is a little too big.

rmks2000
07-01-2009, 12:12 PM
The sides of the carriage are laminated 2X with thick paper like the shoe box carton thickness. and the top plates are are glued to thick paper also.

In fact all the drawings are glued to thick paper with the exception of the barrel and the control wheels. The magazine has two options, you can laminate the mag wheels 2X and wrap the strip around it and the inside strip also. Technique 2, you roll a strip the thickness of the magazine until you reach the thickness of the roundels. the handles at the trail are strips of heavy paper bent into shape. The bottom braces are the same as the top plates.

I hope that this helps some.

Thanks Silveroxide. I could have sworn I read somewhere in the posts about laminating and I checked three times last night but couldn't find it. I didn't go through all the pictures though.:rolleyes:

silveroxide
07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Any more queries let me know. Can't wait to see your build.

silveroxide
07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I made some comments on the download section as to the effect that there are no instructions for the build and that you you would have to use this thread for the build sequence. In consequence the download is in moderation queue until released by the moderator. Should be up again soon.:):):):)

silveroxide
07-10-2009, 12:35 PM
My Gatling Gun is still in the queue stage as unapproved. Left two messages for reinstatement but it is still not posted. I hope that it will be up soon.

Gharbad
07-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm totally going to build this, thanks so much for doing it!

silveroxide
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm totally going to build this, thanks so much for doing it!
If it is not up by Monday, PM me and I will send it to you.:):):):)

Don Boose
07-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I downloaded it earlier and am going to give it a shot as soon as the current intense teaching stint ends on 24 July (after sleeping for 24 hours and then trying to finish the Marek Shoki before the deadline).

Don

silveroxide
07-10-2009, 06:10 PM
I downloaded it earlier and am going to give it a shot as soon as the current intense teaching stint ends on 24 July (after sleeping for 24 hours and then trying to finish the Marek Shoki before the deadline).

Don

Great, I will be looking forward to your build.

HamsterX
07-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi. I'm also preparing a build of your Gatling model. It's small size (2-3 sheets) invites me to start ASAP :D
Just one question. I'm considering the coloured version, and after checking the model sheets, it looks like some parts are duplicated between two of these sheets... I suppose not all these parts are really needed, right?

Regards

Joćo

silveroxide
07-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi. I'm also preparing a build of your Gatling model. It's small size (2-3 sheets) invites me to start ASAP :D
Just one question. I'm considering the coloured version, and after checking the model sheets, it looks like some parts are duplicated between two of these sheets... I suppose not all these parts are really needed, right?

Regards

Joćo

That is correct, those are optional. Please post pics. I am eager to see how others are making this gun. Any problems, let me know.

HamsterX
07-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Well... here you have a pic of some barrels I built. Tube made with a rectangle rolled over a pencil, nozzle holes punched with pin and toothpick, and back cap rounded on a soft mouse pad.

@silveroxide: could you provide more information regarding the parts and fitting of the side hinge? I'm puzzled with the parts sheet and your pics back in post#20, and could not yet find out how to build the magazine holder/feed around the barrel... :confused:

This project is harder than I expected at first... Now I realize a lot of trial-and-error will be needed. For example, there are some parts which need to be laminated very thick :eek: (magazine and barrel mounting) and their side bands may or may not fit adequately... Let's see what I can do.

Regards

Joćo

silveroxide
07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
There are some guidelines that are missing so here are some. The majority of the parts are laminated using heavy paper or carton about the thickness of a shoe box, I call this poster board. Some parts will be card stock. I use 110 lb weight for my construction.

There is a small piece or cradle that goes inside of the barrel support that cannot be seen. It is hidden by the support column.

Here are some instructions for the Magazine, the Magazine feed and the barrel support.

silveroxide
07-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Some of the bands Are longer than required, you need to cut off the excess. For the firing holes, I drilled them out with my dremel.

HamsterX
07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks! Your guidelines cleared my doubts.

Going along nicely, as you can see. The method I used for the magazine holder required a new barrel, ahem... And I had to enlarge the two pieces around the barrel by 25%. The paper tube was somewhat big...
I will post new pics when I have the upper half of the model finished (barrel+magazine+supports).

Regards

Joćo

silveroxide
07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks! Your guidelines cleared my doubts.

Going along nicely, as you can see. The method I used for the magazine holder required a new barrel, ahem... And I had to enlarge the two pieces around the barrel by 25%. The paper tube was somewhat big...
I will post new pics when I have the upper half of the model finished (barrel+magazine+supports).

Regards

Joćo

Looking good. I see you opted for the laminated slide on piece. With the pieces laminated that thick, I used my dremel to rim out the center, but very carefully.

Don Boose
07-26-2009, 06:01 PM
The class graduated Friday. I spent the weekend in the office policing up the battlefield. Still have about another day's work to do, but then will make my attempt at this model. I have printed out your entire build, Silveroxide, as well as Joćo's excellent work so far.

I must try to get the Marek Shoki completed before the end of July, but except for that, I am going to focus entirely on this build.

As I read back over the description of the build and review the photos and your feedback to questions, I am rather intimidated, but will do my best.

Incidentally, Friday a week ago, I took two seminars to Gettyburg for the Staff Ride, walking among (and describing) the Napoleons, ordnance rifles, Parrotts, 12-pounder howitzers, and Whitworth guns that cover the landscape of the battlefield.

We had overcast skies all day, which made the trek through the Devil's Den and up Little Roundtop more pleasant than usual in July, but at the end, just as we were nearing the completion of retracing Pickett's Charge, about 50 yards from The Angle, the skies opened up and we were subjected to a real gully washer downpour. I heard a voice in a Mississippi accent behind me say, "I think the Yankees double shotted with canister!"

Hope to have gthe first photos posted by mid-week.

Don

silveroxide
07-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome back Don. At least the weather this summer has been cooler than most years. Back then at the battle the heat was way higher than it has been lately. Imagine those wool uniforms and the distance that they had to march and be ready for battle. When I went to look out Mountain, I marvel at the stamina of the soldiers then. Climb that mountain and take possession and kick the enemy out.

Back then when the weather was real hot, they called it summer. Now a days they call it global warming. About thirty years ago they said that we were going to have a mini ice age by now. We must have done something right, because the ice age never came and all I here is that we are suffering from too much heat.

But I digress, Welcome back and I envy your guide activities of the War between the States.

silveroxide
10-05-2009, 06:44 AM
I recived an email from a friend and he directed me to a pirate site that just happened to have my Gatling gun in its inventory. I consider this a sort of flattery that they should use my design without my request. The only problem to this download is that my Gatling gun is exclusive to papermodelers, This means that whoever downloads my design from this pirate site, will have to find his/her way here to papermodelers and then search for my build thread. The pirate site download does not have the instructions to build it. From some of the comments and questions on how to build certain sections of the Gun, it is not as easy as it looks. They will not understand that some parts are regular paper and others are heavy cardstock and some parts are heavily laminated.

In retrospect, I believe that separating the plans from the build will hamper some people from building pirated models. This intrusion does not bother me, it makes me laugh at the poor fools who will download my model without the benefit of how it is built.

doctormax
10-05-2009, 08:20 AM
I was thinking this when looking at ct's css boats a gattling gun on one of them models could look cool. or is the gattling gun to late to put on a ship. i know it may not be historically accurate but if any iron clads did see service after the American civil war your model could be a cool thing to add to a ship model?

silveroxide
10-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I was thinking this when looking at ct's css boats a gattling gun on one of them models could look cool. or is the gattling gun to late to put on a ship. i know it may not be historically accurate but if any iron clads did see service after the American civil war your model could be a cool thing to add to a ship model?

You may have to check with CT-Ertz. He has done some extensive research for his Ironclads and may have run into your query. But this is the later version of the Gatling, not the War between the states early version.

ct ertz
10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
The CSS Atlanta, captured and used by the Union as the USS Atlanta, was later sold to Haiti. It stayed in there service into the 1870s I think, until it disappeared in bad weather. I could see the new owners rearming it, but that would be guess work.

The CSS Stonewall was sold to Japan after the war and it was extensively outfitted with Gatling's, on the open decks as well as on the masts.

Th Williams gun, 1 inch caliber hand cranked cannon was produced by the South during the war, and issued in both the eastern and western theaters of war. When kept clean, and manufactured with reasonably good iron, the cannon could shoot 60 rounds a minute with a three man crew. The single barrel was prone to overheating. It was smooth bore and capable of firing shot round as well as ball. That would be a plausible anti boarding gun on a Confederate ram, though I have not seen any reports of this gun being used except with Confederate Cav.

Although boarding was a concern to commanders on both sides, it was never attempted on ironclads. The heated battle between the crews of the USS Miami and the CSS Albemarle involved a forty minute musket and hand grenade fight at extremely close quarters, with the crew of the Miami considering boarding at one point, but the exchange of musketry was too hot.

CT