PDA

View Full Version : I made the big-time...sort of

Ashrunner
08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I picked up the September 2007 issue of Aviation History the other day (the one with the gorgeous F-86 on the cover) and while thumbing through it, saw a photo on page 36 which caused me to stop and smile.

It was one of my photos I took during my career.

I do so wish it was the F-15, but it is the photo in the lower left corner under 1991. Still, it my photo in one of my favorite magazines. 8v)

Next round is on me.

lepercan
08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Congrats, Ashrunner!
"Any kudos better than no kudos." army cook after getting a Purple Heart for getting an egg shell fragment in his eye 1964. True, then - now - forever...
Lep

dansls1
08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Congrats!

So, for those of us who don't get the magazine, what is the picture of?

B-Manic
08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Congrats, Ashrunner!
I'll look for that issue

Ashrunner
08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
It is an aerial shot of Clark AB after Mt. Pinatubo erupted and destroyed it in 1991. A similar photo taken about four months later can be seen at http://zcap.freeyellow.com/Wrath/afury.html

The photo is a set of four aerials located about 2/3s the way down the page. The similar image is the lower left shot. The shot in the magazine was taken several weeks after the eruption and ash was still deep. In the similar shot, life was rebounding and showing how tough it is.

Leif Ohlsson
08-24-2007, 03:06 PM
So, finally, I get it: "Ashrunner"...

Leif

milenio3
08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Congratulations, Ash!!
I'll check it at the B&N.

Kaz
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Wowee, did they credit you in any way, they should... Congrats

Ashrunner
08-24-2007, 08:26 PM
So, finally, I get it: "Ashrunner"...

Yep...it was the second time I ran from volcanic ash. Waiting for number three 8v)

As for credit, I was shooting in an official capacity for the Air Force. In cases like that, credit is given as Department of Defense which was what was done in this case. During my career when photos I shot were used elsewhere, credit was given as Courtesy of US Air Force. Only time I got credit, was when my by-line was used on some of my feature articles which went public.

Knife
08-24-2007, 10:11 PM
I know several people that evacuated from Clark to Homestead AFB outside of Miami. You know, the one destroyed by Hurricane Andrew. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Lots of stories there.

You know you're getting old when your photos appear in Aviation HISTORY magazine. I know I'm old--I've seen two aircraft (actual tail numbers) I've flown in museums.

BARX2
08-25-2007, 06:41 AM
I was in Subic and Clark many times during my Navy career. I was last there in 1980 or 81. I felt very bad for the civilians who were left to live in that disaster. Filipino people are very nice.