PDA

View Full Version : Maly Modelarz Contests

Toddlea
07-02-2009, 07:04 AM
I would like to host more of these contests but I would like feedback from the forum as to when and how.

B-Manic
07-02-2009, 07:13 AM
First, let me thank you for running the last one. It was a lot of fun, if somewhat challenging, and resulted in a lot of great models and humorous banter.

When - in the fall
How - same as previous event

cjwalas
07-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Second, let me thank you as well! I do think if the contests are "themed", it might make the judging a little easier, comparing planes to planes, ships to ships, etc. But I vote you go with whatever whim takes you, Todd. I'm sure it'll be fun regardless.
Chris

Phil
07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Third, not a big fan of Maly Modelarz, but I really did enjoy the participation!
Let me know when you want to do a Micromodels contest!!!

dansls1
07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I like breaking down the categories. As far as allowing modifications, et al - I like it on some levels and don't on others. Say the next contest is MM ships. Ship models are going to take more time in general than planes and tanks. Then add in time to color scans, design parts, etc and you are looking at a contest that needs to run 10 months to a year in order to get completed models. For the 'simple' contest we had here, in 5 months we had 13 completed models (14 if you count Rick's cars as 2), and another 8 that had build threads started and weren't completed. Increasing piece count and lattitude with modifications increases that - and once you have that long term commitment, I think MADD (Modelers Attention Deficit Disorder) is sure to creep in and you will likely not have very many completed models.

Toddlea
07-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I agree. The ship contest should be longer. I also think doing armor in 6 months is a little rough. I give kudos to the armor guys in finishing in time.

cjwalas
07-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I agree. The ship contest should be longer. I also think doing armor in 6 months is a little rough. I give kudos to the armor guys in finishing in time.

Totally agree.
Chris

Tim Crowe
07-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I like the idea of a themed contest. It would give a bit of commonality to the contest. Certainly some contests should be run for different lengths.

How about a really short one - Say of a FG model

Tim

Keds_Girl_Lala
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I want to enter. And I have several MM kit to consider!

cjwalas
07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I would suggest changing the armor theme to "land vehicles" as MM did so many other types of civilian vehicles as well?
Chris

Keds_Girl_Lala
07-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Myself, I do not know if having so many category it is good or bad. But I have from Maly Modelarz some of this or I have seen models in these divisions:

Civilian Ship and Boat
War Ship
Antique Ship
Automobile
Rocket Ship and Satillite
Civilian Air plane
War Airplane from different times
Jet Airplanes like the MiG-29
Tank model
Architecture model
Diorama model with sceneries
Construction model like for road work and digging.

Gharbad
07-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a ton of MM kits, so anything works really. Though with ships, I think I only have the ancient boats like the Mayflower and then the battlecruisers Bismarck and Hiei. I haven't seriously built a ship either...
I think some genres are just too far out of comfort range for some of us, which would limit participation and completion for sure.
Having said that, I think just mixing it all up is the most fun. I'd still try to participate in any others though.

Don Boose
07-02-2009, 10:26 AM
These contests are most enjoyable. And I already see many of the usual suspects starting to weigh in.

Perhaps, if the contestmeister is lenient, I can have another try with my MM Shiden, since I got so little done on it this time? And if not, I will still eagerly have a go! And cheer on my friends.

Don

APA-168
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't really care. The only problem I foresee with individual contests for each subject is a lack of participation. If we do each category separately, there will always be a set of people that isn't interested. For instance, if we did an aircraft contest, I would opt out, but if we did armor or ships, then I'd do it. Does that make sense?

Keds_Girl_Lala
07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh and they do railway also...

It seem that with Modelarz the issue is the fit, the paper, the ink, etc. And not so much if it is an air plane, ship, etc. People they have said the same thing for all of them. It would be much less interesting perhaps if only one person they want to make a car, so they are by them self alone. And four people they make an airplane so they are a small group, and two people perhaps they do tanks, etc.

rickstef
07-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't really care. The only problem I foresee with individual contests for each subject is a lack of participation. If we do each category separately, there will always be a set of people that isn't interested. For instance, if we did an aircraft contest, I would opt out, but if we did armor or ships, then I'd do it. Does that make sense?

Every contest has that

Look at the last MM contest, and the contest before that, only a handful of members participated.
some are up for it, some aren't

just the nature of this beast

Rick

redhorse
07-02-2009, 10:48 PM
How about we do a contest without Maly Modelarz or free models involved? Let's do a Halinski contest!! That would be cool.

Gharbad
07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I do have a pile of Halinski waiting to be built as well, I'd be up for that. Most of mine are from the mid 90's though I have some more recent ones.

Keds_Girl_Lala
07-03-2009, 06:24 AM
I can not buy Halinski or they do not make what I like

KCStephens
07-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I
How about a really short one - Say of a FG model

Tim

Great Idea, Tim!

I'm not much of a airplane guy but I do like this idea and could probably find something to build.