Paragon
07-03-2009, 12:42 AM
USS Aldebaran, NCC-77142 Specifications:

Length: 441m
Beam: 252m
Height Extended: 109m
Height Retracted: 86m
Decks: 20

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/USS%20Aldebaran/th_AldebaranColorPrelim1copy.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/USS%20Aldebaran/?action=view&current=AldebaranColorPrelim1copy.jpg)

So, since I'm currently out of paper and ink, and thus can't finish my flying wings for now, I've been occupying my time with something else. As you can see, its another non-canon design of my own.

I've been doing some sketches and started fleshing this one particular design out. Its another one of those "moving nacelle" designs I seem to like so much. As you can see, she's pretty big, not quite as big as the Sovereign, Galaxy or Nebula, but certainly no slouch for power.

As you can also tell, she's got a little Sovvy and Oberth in her (plus tiny bits of Galaxy and Excelsior), resulting in a rather compact design. There's a lot of open space where the nacelles slide in, but I don't think its too bad.

Sorry I don't have any of the details on her yet, or the front, back and bottom views, they're coming soon. Hopefully this scan of my sketches can shed some light on the shape, since I don't think you can get a great idea of it from the images povided.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/USS%20Aldebaran/th_Aldebaransketch.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/USS%20Aldebaran/?action=view&current=Aldebaransketch.jpg)

So my intention is to design a model of her after finishing the flying wings. What do you all think?

cdwheatley
07-03-2009, 02:53 AM
Looks ok. I have one question though, but please don't take offence! Why design starships that have never 'existed'? Yes I know the whole Star Trek universe isn't real! You obviously enjoy it, but for me personally these ships are of no interest at all. I'd certainly never consider building one, I just can't see the point if they're non canon. Just a suggestion, but why not put your considerable talents to designing 'official' vessels e.g. a Sovereign or Ambassador class that are easier for the rest of us to build than the others already available? :)

Paragon
07-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, I've built almost all of the starship classes at this point, and sometimes I just have an urge to design my own ships, I've been doing it since I was 10. Now that I know how to design card models, I guess it just seems a little too tempting to bring my creations into 3D.

As for simpler versions of the Ambassador and Sovereign classes, having built both, I have to say they are, in many ways as simple as they can be. At the best, all I could really accomplish is some reorganization and consolidation.

I'm still thinking of grappling the New Orleans and Springfield classes, if you're waiting for more canon ships, but really, most canon starfleet ships have been designed already.

I do have the other version of the Sovereign, and I might be tempted to touch it up at some point, as it could prove to be a simpler build than Zousho's, but it certainly wouldn't have the same level of texture. If you want, I can send you that version.

Phil
07-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Love it!...(please don't ask what I think...would take too long! lol).

cdwheatley
07-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Well, I've built almost all of the starship classes at this point, and sometimes I just have an urge to design my own ships, I've been doing it since I was 10. Now that I know how to design card models, I guess it just seems a little too tempting to bring my creations into 3D.

Ok, fair enough :).

I do have the other version of the Sovereign, and I might be tempted to touch it up at some point, as it could prove to be a simpler build than Zousho's, but it certainly wouldn't have the same level of texture. If you want, I can send you that version.

Yes I'd like that very much, thank you :).

Stev0
07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
The idea of designing your own ships somewhat validates the non-canon so to speak.

If we stuck with the canon models, they would be overdone.

Zathros
07-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Just consider your ships non canon fodder:D

Design what ever you want, if you design it, they will build it. If it is really good you may see it stolen in a future Star Trek movie, or other Sci Fi movie, for that matter. That would be cool (cooler if you got paid) but cool nevertheless.

Millenniumfalsehood
07-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice design, Paragon! I really liked your other ship design, the Durandel, because of the folding nacelle design.

If you like folding designs that much, try out the Klingon D-39 Shellback. It folds it's boom and nacelles up for combat operations:

STSTCSOLD&A | Klingon D-39 "Shellback" class (fanship) - Cruiser (http://home.comcast.net/~brad.r.torgersen/ststcsolda/D-39/D-39.html)

I'm in anticipation of where this design is going. :)

Paragon
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM
How about some design crits? Is it too unbalanced? Bulky? Does it seem impractical? Is it too big?

Vortex_4200
07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Is it based on the Enterprise E design?

Edit: oops I was looking at the wrong pic, sorry, look pretty cool.

Paragon
07-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Oh, yeah, that is the Enterprise E in the image for a size reference.

Sushibones
07-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Personally, I think she's a bit too chunky and that coupled with the excelsior inspired lower secondary hull makes her look like a new ambassador era ship rather than a sovereign contemporary. How about flattening her down along the Z axis and reshaping the lower hull to be a wee bit sleeker? Just my 2 pennies!

ThunderChild
07-04-2009, 03:29 AM
I haven't seen an Oberth-shaped design other than the original, so I think you're doing a great job, and this will be a nice addition!

jacberk
07-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Paragon love love your original designs. Great designs! Great work!

TC There's an Oberth-esk design out there in the Curry, Shelly class (Shelly as in Mary... Ya know Frankenstein). It's 1701-B era and parts. Never modeled but canon Star Trek and bashable from B parts.

Another kit-bash Paragon? Please, please.

Jack

D-WHALE
07-04-2009, 08:16 AM
How about some design crits? Is it too unbalanced? Bulky? Does it seem impractical? Is it too big?

Okay lets see, what you have!
Saucer: looks a little bit like the ENT-E
Deck 2 inclusive the secondary shuttle bay: from the Galaxy
Bridge: also ENT-E
secondary hull: Excelsior class
Nacelles: looks like a combination of the ENT-A and ENT-E

All these is not a bad combination for a kitbash! Only the Galaxy parts are trash! These parts do not fit to the rest of the ship!

In my opinion: we have enough Federation ships! okay i really miss some canon shipshttp://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Traurig/smilie_tra_018.gif (http://www.smilies.4-user.de) But what we need are more Aliens ships!!! itīs just my opinion!

CU
Marko

Millenniumfalsehood
07-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I would ditch the Galaxy-style deck on top and go for a more triangular design, like on the Sovereign. I would also shrink the secondary hull, lengthen it, and include a ventral phaser array. I'd also like some more space between the outer 'ring' of the primary hull and the center section.

Overall, the chunky look is nice, but it appears a bit unbalanced.

starship builder
07-04-2009, 12:01 PM
i agree on the galaxy shuttle bay it dosent seem to fit in with the shape of ship

Stev0
07-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Any chance of an isometric or perspective view?

Maybe a polygonal model would be better so as to show us what your planning?

Paragon
07-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Wow, you all don't like that galaxy part at all. I don't want to use the Soveriegn's command deck though, and I'd like to keep a large shuttlebay there. Any suggestions for a better shape?

ThunderChild
07-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Why not take a crack at designing your own from scratch, incorporating what you feel is appropriate and fitting to the design? It's non-canon anyway right? :D

Millenniumfalsehood
07-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Most TNG-era vessels used round shapes and most post-TNG ships had angular shapes, so it depends on the era this ship exists in. Perhaps you could use a long oval, chopped in half, with the shuttlebay occupying that chopped section. It would be similar to the Galaxy without looking like outright copying and give you a unique shape to work with. :)

Stev0
07-06-2009, 06:52 AM
The only crit I can offer is that it looks alright with a shortened setup to give a smaller target from port and starboard.

It's just that the current views do not offer much in the way of details.

pdmccool
07-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm still thinking of grappling the New Orleans and Springfield classes, if you're waiting for more canon ships, but really, most canon starfleet ships have been designed already.

Paragon,

Yes, do the model. Personally, I like seeing what other Trek fans come up with for ship designs, and while some of them can be pretty silly, many of them, like yours, are well thought out and would make excellent model subjects.

That said, I would also love to see the New Orleans and Springfield class ships as models.